Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Losing on purpose/winning can be bad

Four2itus

I see a very disgusting trend. It has been purveyed by fans for a while, and now media folks are jumping on as well. I am talking about losing on purpose, or not trying to win, etc. It absolutely ruins everything I watch the game for. I watch, to see my team give everything they have in preparation and execution, every game day. Just the mere idea that there could be any coach, player, GM, coordinator....you name it....that would purposely not try to win, sickens me. 

Watched competition is to determine a victor. Regardless of any fans, writers, coach's ultimate goal, you must never lose sight of the goal every single game.....to win. 

I came across this article in Yahoo sports about this very subject. Here is a quote.......

Not only may the Jets have lost the chance to select Lawrence in next year’s NFL draft, they also may have damaged the presumptive No. 1 overall pick’s hopes of maximizing his endorsement potential. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/new-york-vs-jacksonville-did-the-jets-possibly-losing-the-no-1-pick-cost-trevor-lawrence-money-171445563.html

What the #? I cannot truly express how much this disappoints me. 

In the end, I will continue to follow this sport that I love, but I hope with all my heart that this is not the path this sport heads down. 

On 12/22/2020 at 12:06 PM, Four2itus said:

I see a very disgusting trend. It has been purveyed by fans for a while, and now media folks are jumping on as well. I am talking about losing on purpose, or not trying to win, etc. It absolutely ruins everything I watch the game for. I watch, to see my team give everything they have in preparation and execution, every game day. Just the mere idea that there could be any coach, player, GM, coordinator....you name it....that would purposely not try to win, sickens me. 

Watched competition is to determine a victor. Regardless of any fans, writers, coach's ultimate goal, you must never lose sight of the goal every single game.....to win. 

I came across this article in Yahoo sports about this very subject. Here is a quote.......

Not only may the Jets have lost the chance to select Lawrence in next year’s NFL draft, they also may have damaged the presumptive No. 1 overall pick’s hopes of maximizing his endorsement potential. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/new-york-vs-jacksonville-did-the-jets-possibly-losing-the-no-1-pick-cost-trevor-lawrence-money-171445563.html

What the #? I cannot truly express how much this disappoints me. 

In the end, I will continue to follow this sport that I love, but I hope with all my heart that this is not the path this sport heads down. 

Me too....

It might be time for a lottery system..... maybe among the bottom 6 teams in the league.

At least then losing on purpose won’t guarantee anything. :dunno:

I think losing on purpose (or tanking whatever one wants to call it) is wrong no matter what. That is why it still bothers me we quit on a perfect season in 2009 at 14-0. @Four2itus You nailed it, we basically gave the game away to the Jets in 2009 by sitting Peyton out and other starters. No difference than a team tanking to go 0-16. I give the Jets credit this year, they didn't want to go 0-16 = pride and not giving a game away on purpose. 

Only time in my Colts fandom where losing didn't bother me a lot was in 2011 because we had Luck coming out but it wasn't until we were 0-8 where I didn't care as much. It still even bothered me some then when we lost though, I just hate losing or tanking. That was a rare circumstance for me, 99% of the time losing bothers the hell out of me. In 2011 we were done once it got to 0-8.

In the NFL you'd better not make the flop obvious or teams can be fined draft spots. It's one thing to try a back up to see what you have, it's another to throw a game. All talk on the radio here in Jax is the game plan to lose this weekend. I hope we beat the Steelers and if we have nothing to play for the week 17 game I hope the Jags win. 

9 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

In the NFL you'd better not make the flop obvious or teams can be fined draft spots. It's one thing to try a back up to see what you have, it's another to throw a game. All talk on the radio here in Jax is the game plan to lose this weekend. I hope we beat the Steelers and if we have nothing to play for the week 17 game I hope the Jags win. 

In 2009 the flop was obvious when we were 14-0 and pulled starters out and the league did nothing.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In 2009 the flop was obvious when we were 14-0 and pulled starters out and the league did nothing.

BIGGGG difference between 14-0 and resting the starters for a playoff run and 0-14 and losing on purpose to draft higher.

3 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

BIGGGG difference between 14-0 and resting the starters for a playoff run and 0-14 and losing on purpose to draft higher.

Yeah but the Jets nor the Jags are pulling starters out, we did. To me what we did was embarrassing. It cheated the fans and the people that payed a ticket for that game. We tanked a game on purpose bottomline. 

12 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

The NFL and NBA should adapt a draft lottery period, with no influence of team records in the process.

A 16-0 team should and will have the same chance as landing a #1 pick as a 0-16 team.

That would defeat the purpose of having a draft order. It is designed for the less talented teams to draft the higher talented players out of college.

I do think real teams tank at times but its no surprise that fans out there dont like or accept it.  

The Buccaneers made a very questionable move to get the number one pick for Winston.  Sean Payton has brought this up a few times too.  There were a lot of whispers years ago about the Patriots tanking a game for a playoff matchup. 

If you look at the NBA some teams seem to give less than an honest effort to put a winning team on the court every year.  i dont think season long tank jobs are common in the NFL

The best solution for tanking is put the worst 5 teams in and have a drawing to see who picks from 1-5. This way a team like the Jags and Jets would go all out to win knowing they will be in that selection anyway. Here in Jax they're actually rooting on Chicago in their own stadium, and not just the fans but also the reporters that cover the team. I hope the Colts win today then with nothing to play for next week lose to the Jags, that would be a fitting end to the Lawrence talk..

What I would do is, have the 2 worse teams play each other after the season on Wildcard weekend and the winner gets the #1 pick. We would see both bad teams go all out if a Luck or Lawrence is there waiting. Thus way not 1 team could just tank and automatically get the #1 pick. Sometimes the difference between getting the #1 pick instead of the #2 is crucial, see Peyton/Leaf. 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What I would do is, have the 2 worse teams play each other after the season on Wildcard weekend and the winner gets the #1 pick. We would see both bad teams go all out if a Luck or Lawrence is there waiting. Thus way not 1 team could just tank and automatically get the #1 pick. Sometimes the difference between getting the #1 pick instead of the #2 is crucial, see Peyton/Leaf. 

That one would be pretty funny, I think people would watch this.  probably would get good ratings for two bad teams

The QBs might be playing for their replacements though

23 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

LOL, this is actually not a bad idea and hilarious at the same time. But let's expand it to 4 teams. They could call it the "Fish Bowl" since they are all competing for the "Big Catch." I have no doubt the NFL could market this into a highly watched event. Make it the MNF game on the first two playoff weekends.

On 12/25/2020 at 12:47 AM, crazycolt1 said:

That would defeat the purpose of having a draft order. It is designed for the less talented teams to draft the higher talented players out of college.

True.   Maybe you get balls in the container depending on where you finish.  Jags get 32 balls and the Chiefs get 1. 

That would be fair.  

Archived