Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AC has MCL injury

GoColts8818

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Reich also didn’t rule out other options if AC can’t go. Smith must be on the table to move over. 

He also said Autry is on track to return. Haven’t listened yet but there might be some optimism on Buckner too. Taylor can return Thursday if he don’t test positive.

I doubt we see Smith switch sides. Like @ColtsBlueFL mentioned in an earlier post, Geoff Schwartz (a really solid G/T) went over how difficult that switch is:

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

In the immortal words of Josh Sitton, switching from one side to the other is “like wiping your *rear* with the other hand.”

Everything is awkward and different. I had to switch from the right side to the left side (LG) a couple times in my career. It always went bad. ALWAYS. I was never comfortable at left guard. I’d always punch like I was at right tackle and when I was being bull-rushed, I’d switch my stagger to anchor the bull like a right guard, thus allowing myself to get beat inside.

It's not as simple as just "this guy is good on the right side, so he should be good on the left side too." All of your muscle memory and technique is based on moves on the right side of the line and it's not easy completely change that hard-wiring, especially over the course of the week. By moving Smith, we'd actually weaken 2 positions. The best option if AC can't play is to play a backup that at least plays LT. It's not ideal, but it's a better option than potentially weakening the unit as a whole by having a player play out of position. 

7 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Agreed, maybe 1 or 2 if it is mild.

7 hours ago, JediXMan said:

That’s good news.

6 hours ago, Nickster said:

Boy that’s good news.

I already mentioned there would be no surgery (as they said 'no worst case scenario').  IMHO, there is almost no chance he goes Sunday though, as Keefer mentions. However, if he doesn't go on IR, maybe they think he might be able to go the next game after this Sunday if all goes well.  We will see.

Archived