Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AC has MCL injury

GoColts8818

Just now, zibby43 said:

Chloe, OL and DL are among the most physical positions in all of sports - which is why those guys are so big.

And they are transferring enormous amounts of energy through their various joints (including the knee) as they anchor down and battle with 275+ lb elite athletes that can run sub-5 second 40-yard dashes.

And that's in addition to the knee having to support AC's weight as he moves laterally in his pass sets or drives forward when run blocking.

All that said, if it's a sprain, he would be able to play with a brace, but he may need to sit out for a while until the swelling goes down.

Don’t insult me. It’s different then say a WR or CB playing with this injury.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Don’t insult me. It’s different then say a WR or CB playing with this injury.

How did I insult you? 

I went out of my way to be as kind as possible in explaining that OL/DL is *not* somehow less taxing on the knee than another position.

I ultimately ended up choosing a different field, but I interned with the Colts' team physicians several years ago, and was just trying to contribute some relevant information.

I didn't say what you said is nonsense, or something rude like that.  But what you implied, that playing LT is somehow not physical and taxing on the knee (which is ironic, since playing that very position is what injured his knee), was patently false.

1 hour ago, James said:

Goodbye season.

Ballard hasn’t properly addressed the OT depth.

Clark and Green.. just abysmal. 

Hopefully Ballard knows he cocked it up.

Give Ballard some slack, he took this roster from the putrid depths of 2016 to where it is now. It takes time to turn a mound of scrap metal into a Mustang, and right now we’re not there yet.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

a little good news

Hmm, worst case scenario to me would be surgery and on IR the rest of the year. So, maybe they feel he might only miss a week or two?  I think it prudent to wait on the MRI results and really hope he can stay off 3 week IR.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I said it in another thread.  Ballard needs to sign a veteran tackle off a practice squad.  The quickest way to get help IMO.  No need to shuffle players around.  Clark won't cut it.  No messing around this late in the middle of a playoff push.

If there is one, I'd wager they'll be protected  from being pilfered.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Do you think he would be one of the 4 guys the Eagles would protect from being signed off their practice squad?

19 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Let’s see what the doctors say.  The Colts are normally cautious with injuries so I’d expect if he plays its because they think it’s safe for him to play.

Indeed. His status this week will be telling even if the Colts aren't as candid.

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Hopefully a few rest days and a brace for a little extra protection and he's good to go.  

Maybe, but it's hard for me to imagine him not missing at least a week, maybe more.  But until the MRI is performed, it's all speculation. Hoping for the best as many of you are.

8 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Do you think he would be one of the 4 guys the Eagles would protect from being signed off their practice squad?

Protection isn't really "protection". IIRC, you can only protect a player from Tuesday AM through the game. He's at risk immediately after the game through Tuesday AM. So more or less open to be grabbed on Mondays. At least that's what I read earlier this season.

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

mass panic going on here

let's put Q at QB too while we are at it

How is it mass panic to put in your best tackle on the Left side, Pintor who played tackle in college at Right and inserting a vet who started 8 games last season ?  Dont get how that compares to playing a Guard at QB ?  

There arent any quality P.S.  O linemen out there for us to vulture....too few quality has to come internal and Clarke and Green can not do it.....Smith has been up to every challenge.    Autry can at least stop the bleeding for Buckner when he comes off covid sometime in next few days and paired with Stewart provide what he did last season. 

41 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

There arent any quality P.S.  O linemen out there for us to vulture....too few quality has to come internal and Clarke and Green can not do it.....Smith has been up to every challenge.    Autry can at least stop the bleeding for Buckner when he comes off covid sometime in next few days and paired with Stewart provide what he did last season. 

Not to mention even if you signed someone they don’t know the offense because they just simply haven’t been in it.  Fans like to say anyone could be better that’s normally not at all true.  I hate Clark but I doubt there is someone the Colts could just sign that could walk in and play significantly better at this point.  I’d be interested in seeing if they shuffle the line though but I doubt it because then you have multiple starters out of position.  I do think you might see them start keeping a tightened to give them help if Clarke or Green starts.

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

using your handle/name is insulting/condescending?

seems like a huge stretch.

Lets move on from this personal back and forth, please. The big question is the makeup of the  O-line formation going forward. Smith at LT? Why not? It cant be worse than LeRaven Clark, and likely far better. I expect the Colt brain trust to come up with a better configuration next week and thereafter while they await the Costanzo verdict. Hopefully it includes returning Clark to his backup role. That guy needs to be gone next year....and Costanzo's replacement needs to be drafted or signed as a FA. 

Many challenges for our Colts team this year.... and for a few more in the future.

4 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Lets move on from this personal back and forth, please. The big question is the makeup of the  O-line formation going forward. Smith at LT? Why not? It cant be worse than LeRaven Clark, and likely far better. I expect the Colt brain trust to come up with a better configuration next week and thereafter while they await the Costanzo verdict. Hopefully it includes returning Clark to his backup role. That guy needs to be gone next year....and Costanzo's replacement needs to be drafted or signed as a FA. 

Many challenges for our Colts team this year.... and for a few more in the future.

Well the argument against is that you now have two guys out of position and maybe three if Kelly can’t go.  Also then someone has to play right tackle and that someone might very well end up being Clarke anyways.  

I agree the Colts need to think really hard about taking a left tackle in the draft early this year.  

44 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

using your handle/name is insulting/condescending?

seems like a huge stretch.

I actually decided to use the name so it didn’t come across as trying to be confrontational or rude.

I do it all the time to try to make posts more conversational.

Like, “Thanks East!”  Or something to that effect.

2 hours ago, chickenMan said:

Give Ballard some slack, he took this roster from the putrid depths of 2016 to where it is now. It takes time to turn a mound of scrap metal into a Mustang, and right now we’re not there yet.

Ah the old Ballard took over a crap roster. It has been 4 years with a host of 2nd round picks. 

21 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I was honestly curious as why she thought that was an attack. The post from @zibby43 came off as thoughtful and patient.

As far as the OL config goes, I'm good with

1. Smith to LT, Green or Clark at RT
  2. Smith to LT, Pinter to RT
  3. Q at LT, Pinter to LG
  4. A FA acquisition like Cordy Glenn or Warford (if willing to opt back in)
  5. Signing a guy like PTW from a PS, or another 2020 draft pick hanging out on someone's PS.
1 minute ago, zibby43 said:

I actually decided to use the name so it didn’t come across as trying to be confrontational or rude.

I know Zibby. That's why I was surprised at the response. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Ah the old Ballard took over a crap roster. It has been 4 years with a host of 2nd round picks. 

Yeah, and we have a significantly better roster now than we did then, thanks in large part to Ballard. We still have issues, yes, but we are not doing badly

1 hour ago, zibby43 said:

Zibby you are offending me, pls stop

Luck quit. That put this team behind. Ballard’s job this off season is to get the future left tackle. If he doesn’t think Eason can be the future see if they fall in love with anyone. Get some better corners.  Probably bring rivers back for one more year. Now it’s time to build this offense like he did the defense.

11 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

I agree, there is no LT's out there and they don't fall off trees. that being said, my onion is ever since LT mentioned last year about retiring I think Ballard has probably instructed his scouts to make number one priority is to find that one the draft. I believe it's time to be grooming his replacement since he only has 1 yr left on contract. unfortunately his replacement cannot be found on this roster no matter how much you play the shell game with current O lineman.

12 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Luck quit. That put this team behind. Ballard’s job this off season is to get the future left tackle. If he doesn’t think Eason can be the future see if they fall in love with anyone. Get some better corners.  Probably bring rivers back for one more year. Now it’s time to build this offense like he did the defense.

After yesterday's performance, I'm not sure that we want to do anything like we did for the defense.

Here is going to be an unpopular opinion, but it is obvious.  Our LBs including our All Pro are very, very bad in coverage.  

Leonard cannot run with a TE and that makes a huge difference on what a D can try to call.  There were so many just wide open crossing routes when we'd rush with a blitzer.  That to me was the most disappointing thing. It doesn't really look fixable to me.

Also, Blackmon looked like a lost rookie out there yesterday.  He makes spectacular plays but has a long way to go to be a solid safety in coverage.  I think he and Leonard are in the same boat.  They both are impact players, who don't always maintain discipline.  It has worked pretty well with Leonard, but I don't think it will work well with two of them playing that way.

57 minutes ago, cbear said:

Flip flopping the oline is not the answer imo.

Exactly. Geoff Schwartz adressed a similar question a year or two ago-

"What is the most difficult position switch for an offensive lineman to make on the O-line that the majority of people think is easy? (ex: OT to OG or LT to RT etc)

I get asked this question more than any other. The majority of people believe switching positions is easy because they’ve never done it before. Moving from side to side is easy for some, but most often, it takes a while to adjust. In the immortal words of Josh Sitton, switching from one side to the other is “like wiping your *rear* with the other hand.”

Everything is awkward and different. I had to switch from the right side to the left side (LG) a couple times in my career. It always went bad. ALWAYS. I was never comfortable at left guard. I’d always punch like I was at right tackle and when I was being bull-rushed, I’d switch my stagger to anchor the bull like a right guard, thus allowing myself to get beat inside.

According to social media, switching from tackle to guard is the “easy” solution for a tackle who’s struggling. Not so fast my friend. If an offensive tackle has good hands, generally has good movement skills but might lack some foot quickness to play tackle, then moving inside could be productive. If an offensive tackle is struggling with his strike and punch location, plus has bad feet, then moving inside is a no-go. Things happen fast at guard. Your hands must be ready for action now. And if you miss with your hands, your base better be good so you’re able to recover.

So in short, moving a struggling OT to OG isn’t easy, and it’s rarely the solution."

It's not as easy as armchair GM's make it out to be.  Techniques will fail and chemistry lost.  Getting this back on Anthony Castonzo track, last time he was out with "ribs' vs. Browns', Myles Garret fairly destroyed the Colts offense and their game plan.  Still waiting on reports of his MRI results.

Saw this on Reddit :lol:

Anthony Castonzo is rumored to have an MCL injury. Assuming he misses at least one more game, what options do the Colts have to shore up the offensive line?

Option 1: Trust In Clark

LT - Clark

LG - Nelson

C - Kelly

RG - Glowinski

RT - Smith

This is what the team did this week. It didn't work as well as I was hoping.

Option 2: Flip Flop Braden

LT - Smith

LG - Nelson

C - Kelly

RG - Glowinski

RT - Green

If he's a tackle, and his pass blocking has improved, why can't he switch sides? This is my personal favorite option. It seems like it definitely won't happen, but I don't really see why.

Option 3: Best Lineman at the Most Important Spot

LT - Nelson

LG - Pinter

C - Kelly

RG - Glowinski

RT - Smith

I've always wondered how good Nelson would be at left tackle. This would hurt the run game, but might give Rivers the most security from his blind side. I trust Pinter to be a solid guard.

Option 4: Make the Blind Side Glow

LT - Glowinski

LG - Nelson

C - Kelly

RG - Pinter

RT - Smith

The same thing as the Nelson experiment, except we don't sacrifice as much run blocking in the middle. Glowinski is a guard, but he would have to be a better LT than Le'Raven, right?

Option 5: Run The Damn Ball

LT - Pinter

LG - Nelson

C - Kelly

RG - Smith

RT - Glowinski

Forget the passing game. We'll move Smith inside and just smash it up the middle. Rivers can go back to playing linebacker or something, especially if Okereke misses another week.

Option 6: New Perspectives

LT - Kelly

LG - Smith

C - Nelson

RG - Green

RT - Glowinski

The offensive line will bond as they realize what it's like for players at a different position than them. This will build empathy and promote team building, strengthening the overall offense.

Option 7: Rush Rivers

LT - Danny Pinter

LG - Mark Glowinski

C - Chaz Green

RG - Luke Rhodes

RT - Le'Raven Clark

This lineup is created with the idea of improving the quick-thinking ability and mobility of Philip Rivers. He will have to work on throwing quickly, and picking up first downs on the ground. Imagine the difference this will make when the team is back to full strength!

Option 8: Two-Quarterback Package

LT -

LG - Quenton Nelson

C - Ryan Kelly

RG - Mark Glowinski

RT - Braden Smith

Similar to option 1, this lineup chooses to have both Jacoby Brissett and Philip Rivers in the game for every snap. The theory behind this is that having two quarterbacks is better than taking up a spot with Le'Raven Clark.

Option 9: Kill Phil

LT - DeMichael Harris

LG - Isaiah Rodgers

C - Rodrigo Blankenship

RG - T.Y. Hilton

RT - Kenny Moore

If Rivers begins to turn the ball over too frequently, it may be time to deploy this lineup for motivational purposes.

7 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

LT -

LG - Quenton Nelson

C - Ryan Kelly

RG - Mark Glowinski

RT - Braden Smith

Similar to option 1, this lineup chooses to have both Jacoby Brissett and Philip Rivers in the game for every snap. The theory behind this is that having two quarterbacks is better than taking up a spot with Le'Raven Clark.

Don't quarterbacks have that special helmet with the radio & green dot? I'm pretty sure rules prohibit more than 1 being on the field at the same time, unless 1 of them wore a regular helmet with no communication possibilities.

10 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Anthony Castonzo is rumored to have an MCL injury. Assuming he misses at least one more game, what options do the Colts have to shore up the offensive line?

LT - Smith

LG - Nelson

C - Kelly

RG - Glowinski

RT - Green

If he's a tackle, and his pass blocking has improved, why can't he switch sides? This is my personal favorite option. It seems like it definitely won't happen, but I don't really see why.

I assume the coaches know best in these situations.  Perhaps it is not as easy as just doing it.   Most people were relieved when Smith was able to adjust from RG to RT.   I guess we will see this week.  

6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

LT - Smith

LG - Nelson

C - Kelly

RG - Glowinski

RT - Green

In the immortal words of Josh Sitton, switching from one side to the other is “like wiping your bum with the other hand.”

6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

LT - Nelson

LG - Pinter

C - Kelly

RG - Glowinski

RT - Smith

Does Nelson possess the foot quickness to play tackle?  He might have the movement and likely the hand skills, but I wonder if he can control a speed rusher on the outside, or one with great bend, etc...

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

After yesterday's performance, I'm not sure that we want to do anything like we did for the defense.

Here is going to be an unpopular opinion, but it is obvious.  Our LBs including our All Pro are very, very bad in coverage.  

Leonard cannot run with a TE and that makes a huge difference on what a D can try to call.  There were so many just wide open crossing routes when we'd rush with a blitzer.  That to me was the most disappointing thing. It doesn't really look fixable to me.

Also, Blackmon looked like a lost rookie out there yesterday.  He makes spectacular plays but has a long way to go to be a solid safety in coverage.  I think he and Leonard are in the same boat.  They both are impact players, who don't always maintain discipline.  It has worked pretty well with Leonard, but I don't think it will work well with two of them playing that way.

Leonard can’t run with a tight end?   Oh really?    Does Leonard know this?  

I think you’re confusing break downs in coverage, confusion over whose responsibility it was to cover this player or that player with “he can’t do that.”

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Option 1: Trust In Clark

LT - Clark

LG - Nelson

C - Kelly

RG - Glowinski

RT - Smith

This is what the team did this week. It didn't work as well as I was hoping.

LT - Smith

LG - Nelson

C - Kelly

RG - Glowinski

RT - Green

LT - Nelson

LG - Pinter

C - Kelly

RG - Glowinski

RT - Smith

I've always wondered how good Nelson would be at left tackle. This would hurt the run game, but might give Rivers the most security from his blind side. I trust Pinter to be a solid guard.

Option 4: Make the Blind Side Glow

LT - Glowinski

LG - Nelson

C - Kelly

RG - Pinter

RT - Smith

The same thing as the Nelson experiment, except we don't sacrifice as much run blocking in the middle. Glowinski is a guard, but he would have to be a better LT than Le'Raven, right?

Option 5: Run The Damn Ball

LT - Pinter

LG - Nelson

C - Kelly

RG - Smith

RT - Glowinski

Forget the passing game. We'll move Smith inside and just smash it up the middle. Rivers can go back to playing linebacker or something, especially if Okereke misses another week.

Option 6: New Perspectives

LT - Kelly

LG - Smith

C - Nelson

RG - Green

RT - Glowinski

The offensive line will bond as they realize what it's like for players at a different position than them. This will build empathy and promote team building, strengthening the overall offense.

Option 7: Rush Rivers

LT - Danny Pinter

LG - Mark Glowinski

C - Chaz Green

RG - Luke Rhodes

RT - Le'Raven Clark

This lineup is created with the idea of improving the quick-thinking ability and mobility of Philip Rivers. He will have to work on throwing quickly, and picking up first downs on the ground. Imagine the difference this will make when the team is back to full strength!

LT -

LG - Quenton Nelson

C - Ryan Kelly

RG - Mark Glowinski

RT - Braden Smith

Option 9: Kill Phil

LT - DeMichael Harris

LG - Isaiah Rodgers

C - Rodrigo Blankenship

RG - T.Y. Hilton

RT - Kenny Moore

If Rivers begins to turn the ball over too frequently, it may be time to deploy this lineup for motivational purposes.

I saw that post this morning and LOST IT. I was like "Ok...that could work....Eh.....maybe....." then it just fell off a cliff...:lol:

Archived