Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Compensatory Picks Announced

http://nfltraderumor...-picks-by-team/

http://www.indystar....ft-picks-by-NFL

It looks like we are getting an extra 5th, 6th, and 7th. I was really hoping for a fourth but was not expecting three picks. I believe our draft should look like

1(1)

2(34)

3(65)

4(97)

5(128)

5(170)

6(206)

7(not sure of overall # but the first pick of the round)

7(again not sure but the pick from the Stanton trade)

7(253 Mr. Irrelevant?)

Didn't see the post made about this in the colts football section...maybe because I wasn't looking for it there since it dealt with the draft but oh well.

Edited by Flux Civilian

why are we getting three picks if we only lost two players? and i thought mr.irrelevant was 256

It was explained in the other post about this in the colts football section. It was something along the line of, if the league has not awarded 32 comp picks then it will award the remaining picks one by one to teams in the order the draft would be in if there was to be an 8th round.

I thought we got traded our pick in the 6th(Eagles 6th) for Stanton and Jets 7th? Is this right???

We traded our 6th rounder to the Eagles for Justice and the Eagle's 6th...then we traded the Eagle's 6th to the Jets for Drew Stanton and a 7th rounder, essentially turning our early 6th round pick into two players and a 7th. Now that we have been awarded three comp. picks (a 5th, 6th and 7th) we now have a pick in the 6th again as well as having three 7th rounders (our pick, the Stanton trade pick, and the comp.)

Dang, that fourth would have been nice

The prevailing opinion on here was that we'd get a 4th & 7th. Considering the the 7th we received was due to some process that involved the Saints forfeiture of a pick, the NFL awarded us a 5th & 6th. It is essentially a wash.

I do like our three 7th round picks, plus our late 6th, it's basically 4 picks within 40 selections. Someone else mentioned how is it that everybody gets excited over undrafted rookies, but not seventh round picks. It's a matter of perspective if you view those picks as choice undrafted rookies.

The prevailing opinion on here was that we'd get a 4th & 7th. Considering the the 7th we received was due to some process that involved the Saints forfeiture of a pick, the NFL awarded us a 5th & 6th. It is essentially a wash.

I do like our three 7th round picks, plus our late 6th, it's basically 4 picks within 40 selections. Someone else mentioned how is it that everybody gets excited over undrafted rookies, but not seventh round picks. It's a matter of perspective if you view those picks as choice undrafted rookies.

Were going to have a lot of young guys to fill our many holes. If they dont pan out it wont really hurt us either if we miss in the late rounds.

Its not always about where those picks are its about how well those picks are trained to play also work ethic and what their given talents are already coming in, Tom Brady turned out to be a pretty nice 6th rounder 199 over all pick, now obviously thats not always gonna happen but still nice to have those extra picks with the holes we have although are late rounders so I dont expect much, likely depth guys is my guess but we will see

The first part is true, but the second part is not. The Saints forfeited pick exist as a gap, but it's still accounted for in the 256 picks in total, which is why there are only 253 picks. As I mentioned, it's accounted for if you consider the draft only having 253 picks. Add in the Saints and Lions lost picks (which bring the total to 255) and the Raiders supplemental pick for Pryor (accounting for 256 picks). Regardless of rather or not the Saints still had that pick, the Colts would still have the final 7th round pick.

The pick was award as part of the compensatory process, which hands out 32 extra picks. If less than 32 free agent moves end up qualifying for compensation, then the rest are handed out in draft order. So there were 30 picks handed out and the league had to hand 2 extra in regular draft order.

You are correct that it was not awarded as a free agent loss, however.

We could trade our 3 7th round pick and something else to possible move back into the second round and take someone of higher value, Like a Chase Minnifield?

......the second round? There's no way three 7th rounders would get us a 2nd round pick haha Maybe a 4th round or if we find a team dumb enough to agree a 3rd, but there's no shot at get a 2nd round pick for three 7th round picks...