Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mannings Last Game As A Colt

turner46992

I was never a big Caldwell fan but wasnt he the one that led the colts to the Super Bowl his first year.....

No Manning did that. Caldwell just rode Manning's coat-tails.

Caldwell's poor coaching, however, did play a role in losing the SB.

I was never a big Caldwell fan but wasnt he the one that led the colts to the Super Bowl his first year.....

And that's like saying Gruden solely won it with the Bucks. And Caldwell couldn't carry Chuckie's jock... you know what.

Man I hate these forum rules.

I guess I can see where a "Manning last game thread" becomes a Jim Caldwell ....debate.

That being said I want to be on record for stating that Caldwell was not the reason for last seasns losses. That took 53 players and 12 other coaches also. Likewise, I believe him to have been a very good Head Coach. He totally controlled the most important aspects of the job. ( control locker room, player motivation, team strategy, etc.) But, with even those aside, Coach Caldwell was nowhere near the "terble, terble, terble(insert C. Barkley voice" coach as painted by many that post here.

Debating it now seems kinda pointless though. Think I'll leave it at this.

Did I mention the supreme respect he got from those that played for him? I really didn't know the guy, but I'll take their word for it.

If the same events play out, I don't see that changing anything.

You're probably right but I have my doubts. A 2-14 season will implode a team, as we have seen. But had Caldwell been labeled as a SB winning HC, Bill Polian gives us our second Lombo, Peyton has his second ring, do we really tear it all down and rebuild?

I'm not trying to do the hindsight thing, just making a hypothetical conversation.

You're probably right but I have my doubts. A 2-14 season will implode a team, as we have seen. But had Caldwell been labeled as a SB winning HC, Bill Polian gives us our second Lombo, Peyton has his second ring, do we really tear it all down and rebuild?

I'm not trying to do the hindsight thing, just making a hypothetical conversation.

It might have bought Caldwell more time, but I think if 2-14 still happens and the onus of the season is on the Manning injury and he's due to be paid the same, and the first pick in the draft is still in hand, then I think most of the same decisions are made. Maybe it is Caldwell and Luck moving forward.

I think the only thing that would have prevented the same events from happening would have been an 8-8 season, or if the strike never would have ended and they were still negotiating.

Don't forget the 'running into the kicker' penalty

The running into the kicker penalty, ironically, turned out to me a good thing, because Indy's defense stopped them anyways. Consequently, the Jets wasted more time from the game clock. The Colts were up on points at the time, so any chance they got to burn clock is a good thing.

The running into the kicker penalty, ironically, turned out to me a good thing, because Indy's defense stopped them anyways. Consequently, the Jets wasted more time from the game clock. The Colts were up on points at the time, so any chance they got to burn clock is a good thing.

Hmmm....good point. As I said earlier, I missed so much of that game and never re-watched it.

It might have bought Caldwell more time, but I think if 2-14 still happens and the onus of the season is on the Manning injury and he's due to be paid the same, and the first pick in the draft is still in hand, then I think most of the same decisions are made. Maybe it is Caldwell and Luck moving forward.

I think the only thing that would have prevented the same events from happening would have been an 8-8 season, or if the strike never would have ended and they were still negotiating.

You make good points, and yes, I was hypothesizing everything exactly the same as it occurred after 2010, only that we went on to win the SB against GB.

How about Polian? Still fired?

Im pretty sure Peytons last game as a colt, went down as a loss in the playoffs against the Jets, during the wildcard round. Right? If this is true I was actually fortunate enough to be at the game and see the last of Mannings colt career. This is the same game that caldwell made the bizarre timeout with so many odd seconds left on the clock.

Sucks, Because I was hoping Manning would leave The colts with at least a good win, but didnt happen!

Is this True?

you never know matey, maybe it wasn't the last of Manning's career as a Colt. Hopefully someday he will be back as a coach. Or maybe even come back for a season or two as a QB depending on what happens to Luck.

Griffey Jr. came back to Seattle to finish his career. You never know.

You make good points, and yes, I was hypothesizing everything exactly the same as it occurred after 2010, only that we went on to win the SB against GB.

How about Polian? Still fired?

That could have saved him too. One of the biggest questions over the next few years will be whether the right decisions were made. Some will be critical either way. Nature of that beast.

That could have saved him too. One of the biggest questions over the next few years will be whether the right decisions were made. Some will be critical either way. Nature of that beast.

For YEARS we will hear it said ad-nauseum....."If we had Manning...."

For YEARS we will hear it said ad-nauseum....."If we had Manning...."

Yes, we will hear it said. The fans who have not gotten over it will hear it, and they will be reminded of their hurt. Fans who have gotten over it will hear it, and be reminded of other peoples hurt. But over time, the number those who feel the need to keep saying it.....will get smaller and smaller.....

and their voices will get less significant in comparison to the fans who are filled with joy over the present and the future, And eventually.....

it won't be heard at all.

Yes, we will hear it said. The fans who have not gotten over it will hear it, and they will be reminded of their hurt. Fans who have gotten over it will hear it, and be reminded of other peoples hurt. But over time, the number those who feel the need to keep saying it.....will get smaller and smaller.....

and their voices will get less significant in comparison to the fans who are filled with joy over the present and the future, And eventually.....

it won't be heard at all.

lol......I see what you did there. Quite clever of you.

We must ignore these statements as they will come over and over until Manning takes his last snap. Unless Luck and friends win us a SB sometime soon, this reminder of our past will never die. Some will invoke this mantra even 10 years from now, long after Manning has hung it up.

Nobody was more upset than I when we cut PM. Nobody was more upset than I when watching PM at his introductory press conference, holding that Orange jersey.

But I am so over it and I'm so ready to embrace Luck as our man. I so want the Colts to show they can be a top tier team without Manning. Love the guy, but his brilliance kinda made a mockery out of our organization.

Ok, I'll buy that.

I know it sounds controversial. But it's like it's not even been the Indianapolis Colts for 10 years now. It's been the Indianapolis Peytons. Might as well have replaced the horseshoe with a prominent forehead.

What I think is sad is that the 2010 season was when he probably drew the most flak from people about his game 'declining'. Little did those misinformed people know that it would be his last playing season with the Colts.

I remember January 8th, 2011 as depressing, Peyton's last game & his reaction, Caldwell's timeout, Pierre's drops and not watching another football game until the following season since the Colts were out. but, putting things in perspective one other thing..."On January 8, 2011, Giffords was shot in the head[3] outside a Safeway grocery store in Casas Adobes, Arizona, a suburban area northwest of Tucson, during her first "Congress on Your Corner" gathering of the year. A man ran up to the crowd and began firing,[41] hitting 19 people[42] of whom six died;[43] a 20th person was injured at the scene."

I remember hearing about this on a special report right before the game started and it just subdued me and I enjoyed the escapism of football from a crazy world.