Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Non-WR / Non-QB that may be selected in the second by the Colts?

CBs: Trevon Diggs, Jeff Gladney, Bryce Hall? (length)

EDGE: Julian Okwara, Terrell Lewis, Yetur Gross-Matos, Jabari Zuniga(length and toolsy like most of Ballards day 2 EDGE players)

DT: Ross Blacklock, Marlon Davidson, Justin Madubuike, Jordan Elliot, Neville Gallimore

OT: Ezra Cleveland, Austin Jackson ?

OG/OC: Netane Muti ? (drawing comps to Nelson? Why not?)

TE: Cole Kmet, Adam Trautman(senior bowl standout), Brycen Hopkins, Hunter Briant, Albert Okwuegbunam 

S: Jeremy Chinn (Senior bowl stand out)

9 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

Julian Okwara fits everything Ballard values - team captain, elite athletic traits, elite bend - if he's there at 44 with Ballard's focus on the O- and D-line, I'm pretty sure he doesn't drop any further.

You really think he drafts another day 2 edge rusher? I know the old saying is that you can never have too many pass rushers, but 4 straight drafts with a 2nd or 3rd round edge rusher might be pushing it. Especially if none of them really light it up.

36 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You really think he drafts another day 2 edge rusher? I know the old saying is that you can never have too many pass rushers, but 4 straight drafts with a 2nd or 3rd round edge rusher might be pushing it. Especially if none of them really light it up.

If he's BPA at the time of the selection - absolutely. I do see DE as one of our most pressing needs, Turay could be a gem, but has to stay healthy, Banogu showed really nice flashes, but needs to be more consistent and Houston is getting up there in age. Muhammad is solid, but nothing special. I really can't see Ballard go WR and then TE in round 2 as some here would like him to anyway. Why not take another shot at the most important position on defense?

Just now, PureLuck said:

If he's BPA at the time of the selection - absolutely. I do see DE as one of our most pressing needs, Turay could be a gem, but has to stay healthy, Banogu showed really nice flashes, but needs to be more consistent and Houston is getting up there in age. Muhammad is solid, but nothing special. I really can't see Ballard go WR and then TE in round 2 as some here would like him to anyway. Why not take another shot at the most important position on defense?

Adding another 2nd Rd Edge, would be like Ballard, saying “I swung and missed on three 2nd Rd picks.” Turay, Banogu and Lewis. But can’t determine that until year three. 

14 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

To answer your question, because after a certain point you’re either wasting draft capital or admitting that you missed on the other picks.

Constantly throwing high picks at the same position hoping to hit isn’t a great strategy. Matt Millen did it in Detroit with 1st round WR’s and while it did net him Calvin Johnson eventually, he missed on the other 2 and it was part of the reason he was let go.

It hasn’t worked for the Cardinals or 49ers either. Both have thrown several picks at WR the last 2 drafts and haven’t seen great returns. The Bengals have spent a bunch of high picks on CB’s with the same result. Eventually you have to change your approach because you end up with a crowded room and too many mouths to feed.

39 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

To answer your question, because after a certain point you’re either wasting draft capital or admitting that you missed on the other picks.

Constantly throwing high picks at the same position hoping to hit isn’t a great strategy. Matt Millen did it in Detroit with 1st round WR’s and while it did net him Calvin Johnson eventually, he missed on the other 2 and it was part of the reason he was let go.

It hasn’t worked for the Cardinals or 49ers either. Both have thrown several picks at WR the last 2 drafts and haven’t seen great returns. The Bengals have spent a bunch of high picks on CB’s with the same result. Eventually you have to change your approach because you end up with a crowded room and too many mouths to feed.

I guess if Ballard was afraid to admit that he missed on draft picks, Tarell Basham would still be on this roster... Ballard himself would probably be the first guy to tell you that he missed on that pick. It's not like GMs are completely immune to self-reflection, it's Ballard's job to evaluate the roster and draft guys to improve weaknesses of the roster - IMO we could still need a quality pass rusher in case Turay's injury issues continue. 

If you're drafting the wrong player profile then you should change your approach, we can absolutely agree on that, but Turay when healthy last year and Banogu in flashes definitely showed their potential. Neither has proven yet that he can be a 10-15 sack guy, so with Houston being the only proven pass rusher on the roster, DE is still a position of need in my book. And if Okwara is there at 44, I can't see Ballard thinking "oh, I might admit I was wrong on the DE picks the last few drafts", but more like "I want that guy"!

2 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

I guess if Ballard was afraid to admit that he missed on draft picks, Tarell Basham would still be on this roster... Ballard himself would probably be the first guy to tell you that he missed on that pick. It's not like GMs are completely immune to self-reflection, it's Ballard's job to evaluate the roster and draft guys to improve weaknesses of the roster - IMO we could still need a quality pass rusher in case Turay's injury issues continue. 

If you're drafting the wrong player profile then you should change your approach, we can absolutely agree on that, but Turay when healthy last year and Banogu in flashes definitely showed their potential. Neither has proven yet that he can be a 10-15 sack guy, so with Houston being the only proven pass rusher on the roster, DE is still a position of need in my book. And if Okwara is there at 44, I can't see Ballard thinking "oh, I might admit I was wrong on the DE picks the last few drafts", but more like "I want that guy"!

Basham was a 3rd Rd pick, but as the saying goes here, players need a total of three years to determine their impact or lack of.

IMO You don’t want a bunch of underperforming 2nd Rd picks, stacked at one position.

Time will tell, but I’m just not excited with the likes of Turay, Banogu and Lewis. 

If you're not excited with Turay, Banogu and Lewis - I can understand being frustrated with Lewis, even though he wasn't drafted as a DE, but as a 3T - even more reason to add talent to that position group. What's your alternative? Give up on the position group? Make a Calais Campbell'esque trade?

9 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

If you're not excited with Turay, Banogu and Lewis - I can understand being frustrated with Lewis, even though he wasn't drafted as a DE, but as a 3T - even more reason to add talent to that position group. What's your alternative? Give up on the position group? Make a Calais Campbell'esque trade?

I wouldn’t add another 2nd Rd pick to the mix, because A. The player is not a blue chip prospect and B. You have to give Turay, Banogu and Lewis more time to develop. (3 years is the saying here) 

Position wise, the 2nd Rd will have 1st Rd talent available at WR, CB and OT. 

JMO

Archived