Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defensive Rookies highlights

CR91

The jury is out on Banogu. We’ll see what he’s made of this year. I expect he’s been camping out on Robert Mathis’ doorstep ever since the season ended. Well, maybe not for the past couple of weeks. Remember that almost all pass rushers take a while to develop. 

The others: Rock; Okereke; Willis; Tell. Pretty darn impressive group. This D is going to be something. 

On 4/11/2020 at 7:47 AM, ProblChld32 said:

Boy was Bonagu underwhelming, I hope he has a strong second year.

Of all the D rookies last year, Banogu was the biggest 'project' pick.  Ballard and scouts said right off the bat that he's a tremendous athlete (he had the longest long-jump in combine history for a DL) but weren't sure if he'd find his niche at SAM or rush end.  Sounds like the made up their minds he would be a rush end by the time regular season started.  

In a lot of ways, he's similar to Turay.  A good athlete who was a bit raw as a football player and needed coaching to develop.  

Of all the D rookies taken last year, I think Banogu has the highest ceiling, but was also more raw than guys like Ya-Sin, Okereke and Willis.  I think Willis was very solid for us last year, but based on his athleticism, I look at him to be the closest guy to have already reached (or came close to reaching) his ceiling.  Given that Tell switched positions from college (S) to NFL (CB), and some of the flashes he showed last year, I expect he's going to also make a big jump in year 2.

https://www.colts.com/news/through-the-scout-s-eye-ben-banogu

7 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Of all the D rookies last year, Banogu was the biggest 'project' pick.  Ballard and scouts said right off the bat that he's a tremendous athlete (he had the longest long-jump in combine history for a DL) but weren't sure if he'd find his niche at SAM or rush end.  Sounds like the made up their minds he would be a rush end by the time regular season started.  

In a lot of ways, he's similar to Turay.  A good athlete who was a bit raw as a football player and needed coaching to develop.  

Of all the D rookies taken last year, I think Banogu has the highest ceiling, but was also more raw than guys like Ya-Sin, Okereke and Willis.  I think Willis was very solid for us last year, but based on his athleticism, I look at him to be the closest guy to have already reached (or came close to reaching) his ceiling.  Given that Tell switched positions from college (S) to NFL (CB), and some of the flashes he showed last year, I expect he's going to also make a big jump in year 2.

https://www.colts.com/news/through-the-scout-s-eye-ben-banogu

Literally couldn't have said it better. For a guy who knew zero pass rush moves coming out of college and then get some sacks and pressures against starting offensive linemen is more impressive than anyone will give him credit for.

1 minute ago, twfish said:

Literally couldn't have said it better. For a guy who knew zero pass rush moves coming out of college and then get some sacks and pressures against starting offensive linemen is more impressive than anyone will give him credit for.

Forgot about EJ Speed here.. I guess he could be the biggest 'project' pick but he was drafted late and I don't think has the same expectations as Banogu.  Sounds like Ballard's still high on Speed being quoted a couple months ago:  "E.J. Speed, even though we didn't see a bunch of him just because he's young and raw, it'll be fun to watch him develop and see if he can become what we think he can become," Colts general manager Chris Ballard said after the end of the season. (from https://www.colts.com/news/mailbag-rock-ya-sin-defense-quarterback-nfl-draft)

But yea, Banogu had his ups and downs last year.  TBH, I don't really remember him having any games or moments where I thought he was awful, but he did show some flashes in limited opportunity.  He's obviously a very good athlete, and hopefully with more polishing he'll make a big leap from year 1 to year 2 (similar to Turay).  

Archived