Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on James Morgan- FIU-QB

I will day two things. 

1. I am kinda intrigued. It says that in the review that he played hurt all year so we should look at his 2018 tape. If we give that benefit to Love than we should with Morgan. 

2. Me saying he fits Ballard was tongue in cheek. Everyone says they wouldn’t be surprised if Ballard fell in love with a QB from some no name school and drafted him in the 3rd. Kinda like Darius Leonard. So I was kinda poking fun. Lol

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Actually I'd argue he does not fit the mold at all.  Ballard is on record saying that elite accuracy is  the most important skill for a QB.  That's not a skill James Morgan possesses.

What qbs in our range have that this year I sure dont see any. 

In the nfl review it says he was hurt and that contributed to his dip in stats. They specifically say look at his 2018. 

Like I said earlier. Everyone says to ignore Loves 2019 and look at his 2018. Shouldn’t allow that for Morgan as well. 

Also wasn’t aware that we helped coach him at shrine game. So maybe Ballard been in him for a while. 

462AD108-FF4D-4984-B6CF-6A5AF17FC0DC.jpeg

4 hours ago, B~Town said:

What qbs in our range have that this year I sure dont see any. 

Of all the QBs in this draft, Morgan is amongst the least accurate QBs.  Shea Patterson might be the only QB worse than he is.

3 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Like I said earlier. Everyone says to ignore Loves 2019 and look at his 2018. Shouldn’t allow that for Morgan as well

Whoever said that is wrong.  You don't ignore it, you ask yourself why 2019 was so dramatically different from 2018.  We can't really figure that out because we don't have anything other than the tv broadcast of the game and can't properly diagnose why an interception happened (usually because the WR route happens off screen).  

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Of all the QBs in this draft, Morgan is amongst the least accurate QBs.  Shea Patterson might be the only QB worse than he is.

Whoever said that is wrong.  You don't ignore it, you ask yourself why 2019 was so dramatically different from 2018.  We can't really figure that out because we don't have anything other than the tv broadcast of the game and can't properly diagnose why an interception happened (usually because the WR route happens off screen).  

I feel like it is well documented that Love’s reason we’re hero ball. He had not talent around him and forced a lot. 

with Morgan I believe it is due to a knee injury that he played through all season. In 2018 he completed 68% of passes. Much better than 2019. 

44 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I feel like it is well documented that Love’s reason we’re hero ball. He had not talent around him and forced a lot. 

with Morgan I believe it is due to a knee injury that he played through all season. In 2018 he completed 68% of passes. Much better than 2019. 

Maybe. I havent seen what that injury is, do you know? 

27 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Maybe. I havent seen what that injury is, do you know? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.underdogdynasty.com/platform/amp/2019/11/13/20962559/fiu-football-notebook-five-defining-moments-of-2019-butch-davis-james-morgan-rishard-dames

the link talks about how he was a huge reason for the success in 2018. He was injured in the home opener and was never the same. 

13 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Since it is being reported we have shown interest him. What is everyone’s thoughts on this guy. Seems to fit the Ballard mold. Also, jokingly, fits the bill of Ballard falling in love with a developmental, small school guy. 

Like it.  I c the Colts going this direction rather than a top 13 pick

Just now, Stephen said:

Not a fan. Saw him under throwing  wrs left and right in highlights 

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Not a fan. Saw him under throwing  wrs left and right in highlights 

May not be a fan but I bleieve Reich is going to throw a curve ball.

16 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I will day two things. 

1. I am kinda intrigued. It says that in the review that he played hurt all year so we should look at his 2018 tape. If we give that benefit to Love than we should with Morgan. 

2. Me saying he fits Ballard was tongue in cheek. Everyone says they wouldn’t be surprised if Ballard fell in love with a QB from some no name school and drafted him in the 3rd. Kinda like Darius Leonard. So I was kinda poking fun. Lol

Except his 2018 tape isn't  as good as love's 2018 tape

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Except his 2018 tape isn't  as good as love's 2018 tape

Not saying it is. If it was he would be thought of higher and be up in 1st round discussions. But it is still very good. It would make him an interesting round 3 kinda guy. 

Here is one game

341 yards and 4TDs

11 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.underdogdynasty.com/platform/amp/2019/11/13/20962559/fiu-football-notebook-five-defining-moments-of-2019-butch-davis-james-morgan-rishard-dames

the link talks about how he was a huge reason for the success in 2018. He was injured in the home opener and was never the same. 

Hmm.  Hard to say what the injury is and therefore hard to know if it will impact him going forward.  don't know why it would and I obviously am not playing high level college ball so it's not like I can say, "He should be able to tough that injury out!"  But i'ts still a red flag and a gamble.  Wonder where he goes.  

I mean he ultimately is probably more of a developmental prospect than someone like Love or Herbert, and I am not exactly thrilled about finding a Garnder Minshew type, which is probably somewhere around this guy's ceiling.   I still think I gravitate towards the higher ceiling player in Herbert or Love.

37 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Hmm.  Hard to say what the injury is and therefore hard to know if it will impact him going forward.  don't know why it would and I obviously am not playing high level college ball so it's not like I can say, "He should be able to tough that injury out!"  But i'ts still a red flag and a gamble.  Wonder where he goes.  

I mean he ultimately is probably more of a developmental prospect than someone like Love or Herbert, and I am not exactly thrilled about finding a Garnder Minshew type, which is probably somewhere around this guy's ceiling.   I still think I gravitate towards the higher ceiling player in Herbert or Love.

I would agree.  I would also point out that he is being label as a riser from the combine. Some actually have him the 6th best QB (Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, Eason, Morgan)  so I could see him going 3rd round.  Not exactly Minshew (6th round).

Second, I do also completely agree that Ceiling is way higher with Love.  They are in different classes, lol.  Love is being discussed in top 15 and Morgan is maybe 3rd round.

7 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I would agree.  I would also point out that he is being label as a riser from the combine. Some actually have him the 6th best QB (Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, Eason, Morgan)  so I could see him going 3rd round.  Not exactly Minshew (6th round).

Second, I do also completely agree that Ceiling is way higher with Love.  They are in different classes, lol.  Love is being discussed in top 15 and Morgan is maybe 3rd round.

I don't see him overtaking Hurts. Hurts had a good combine, and Morgan didn't do anything to wow folks. Gordon actually looked a lot better, and both were sitting in the same space pre-combine. I see him somewhere 9th or 10th. I think Davidson might have overtaken him too. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't see him overtaking Hurts. Hurts had a good combine, and Morgan didn't do anything to wow folks. Gordon actually looked a lot better, and both were sitting in the same space pre-combine. I see him somewhere 9th or 10th. I think Davidson might have overtaken him too. 

I was surprised by Hurts.  But then again, it was in a low stress environment.  Even so, he looked good throwing the ball compared to game situations.  Don't know if that's a good or bad thing.  I still think his diagnose and react ability is subpar.  But there are traits to work with.

3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I was surprised by Hurts.  But then again, it was in a low stress environment.  Even so, he looked good throwing the ball compared to game situations.  Don't know if that's a good or bad thing.  I still think his diagnose and react ability is subpar.  But there are traits to work with.

Honestly I wasn't surprised at all with Hurts. He was 70% with an 11+ AVG at OK. I know he has deficiencies, but I expected him to look good at the combine. He's shown improvement in areas over the years, so he could be a guy who can play well in the right landing spot with the right scheme. With the wrong team, he could also drop like a lead balloon. 

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Honestly I wasn't surprised at all with Hurts. He was 70% with an 11+ AVG at OK. I know he has deficiencies, but I expected him to look good at the combine. He's shown improvement in areas over the years, so he could be a guy who can play well in the right landing spot with the right scheme. With the wrong team, he could also drop like a lead balloon. 

I feel like hurts would be a better pick than this guy as I think he has more potential 

8 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Not saying it is. If it was he would be thought of higher and be up in 1st round discussions. But it is still very good. It would make him an interesting round 3 kinda guy. 

Here is one game

341 yards and 4TDs

I've see that. I just like the potential  of other guys like hurts, cole,and Gordon more if we aren't  going with one of the top qbs.

That being  said he would probably  fit in a west coast  offense. I'm more concerned with his ability to stretch  the field  on a regular basis. 

Archived