Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Needs Vs Talent At Any Spot

Obviously, now that the team has let PM go, we have created a need where it coincides with what is available. Simply put, our best value pick is a QB with the first pick. After that, it becomes quite debatable. We keep addressing things bit by bit through FA, but hard to tell which are starters, back ups, or camp bodies.

It is easy to assume that Redding, Zamma, Wayne, are headed for starting roles. What about the center position? Does Jeff return? Is Pollack finally going to blossom in his normal position? Jake? Is there another FA signing out there for this position? I think that C is kind of a lynch pin in this draft for us. We have needs at this point that encompass C, OG, WR, DE, CB, TE, RILB, LILB, (subjective to who gets moved where) and size overall on ST.

So, I see the war room seeking value at each selection rather than going for need. I said that I would be surprised if Fleener was there with our #2. If he was, would there be an even better value there even though our TE depth is poor? I would absolutely love to listen to Grigs and Chuck waxing eloquent on this upcoming draft.

imo our biggest needs, as of right now, are 1. C, 2. TE, 3. CB, 4. OG, 5. WR, 6. ILB, 7. DE. I belive the best approach to the draft is to go BPA but C, TE, and a no. 2 CB NEED to be addressed by then end of FA or during the draft. We have some possible but less attractive starters at the other possitions that could use upgrading.

imo our biggest needs, as of right now, are 1. C, 2. TE, 3. CB, 4. OG, 5. WR, 6. ILB, 7. DE. I belive the best approach to the draft is to go BPA but C, TE, and a no. 2 CB NEED to be addressed by then end of FA or during the draft. We have some possible but less attractive starters at the other possitions that could use upgrading.

You think we need a TE more than a WR or CB? Ha! Great TE are a luxury, just because people have fallen in love with Fleener doesn't mean we would take him if Kendall Wright or Dre Kirkpatrick, or anybody like that were available.

You think we need a TE more than a WR or CB? Ha! Great TE are a luxury, just because people have fallen in love with Fleener doesn't mean we would take him if Kendall Wright or Dre Kirkpatrick, or anybody like that were available.

look at who we have...Brody Eldridge and nothing else at least at WR we have Collie at our 2 spot and I have yet to see much of Thomas or Rucker at CB personally, so idk what they could be under Pagano...that being said, I have not fallen in love with Fleener, not in the least, and have stated on here that I like Dwayne Allen over him. I would prefer to stay away from TE until about rd 4 where we could look at Egnew or Green and grab the bpa at CB or WR in the second

I would say our needs our

1. CB

2. NT

3. WR

4. OG

5. TE

6. DE

7. ILB

8. C

If Fleener is the BPA available at 34 I would take him, because TE is on the needs list. I don't like the idea of reaching for players just to try to fill a need, that usually doesn't work out too well. Even though C is last on my needs list if Peter Konz fell to 34 and he was the BPA I would take him. Just my draft strategy :)

Prior to the start of free agency I was dead set on the idea that we'd go need heavy in the draft, but how when I look at how much money we're freeing up for future years, I don't feel like we're aiming to fill all of our "needs" in the draft. I think we'll pick the best pick available in each round that fits with one of the many needs we have. So I used to think Fleener was a long shot, but now if he's there at 34, we take him unless a very talented WR or CB falls into the second. A Center, NT, or OG worth the 34th probably won't be there, but with the interesting way Grigson does things, I wouldn't be surprised if we're all very wrong about what happens. xD

If Fleener is still available at 34 Im still going Corner or Nose Tackle with that said Id still like to know why we let Tamme go that was a hole we didnt need to fill so much until now, another thing is I wished practicing in pads was done more often them corners need to learn how to tackle

I don't know if it's just me, but if I were a GM; I would figure out the teams biggest needs, target specific players and their respective grade stock, and if nobody is there, I'd trade down and accumulate more picks.

For our team I'd rate the biggest needs in order; CB, WR, TE, NT, Coverage LB, and maybe RB. The linebacker, tight end, and running back can all be addressed after the CB, WR, and NT.

My ideal draft would look something like this.

1 - Luck

2 - Janoris Jenkins CB / or trade down and get Alfonso Dennard a little later in the round and accumulate another late round pick

3 - Alameda Ta'Amu NT

4 - AJ Jenkins WR

5 - Derek Wolfe 5 Tech

5 - Josh Kaddu LB (probably get a comp pick around here)

6 - James Hanna TE

7 - Keith Tandy CB

I don't know if it's just me, but if I were a GM; I would figure out the teams biggest needs, target specific players and their respective grade stock, and if nobody is there, I'd trade down and accumulate more picks.

For our team I'd rate the biggest needs in order; CB, WR, TE, NT, Coverage LB, and maybe RB. The linebacker, tight end, and running back can all be addressed after the CB, WR, and NT.

My ideal draft would look something like this.

1 - Luck

2 - Janoris Jenkins CB / or trade down and get Alfonso Dennard a little later in the round and accumulate another late round pick

3 - Alameda Ta'Amu NT

4 - AJ Jenkins WR

5 - Derek Wolfe 5 Tech

5 - Josh Kaddu LB (probably get a comp pick around here)

6 - James Hanna TE

7 - Keith Tandy CB

I like the draft. In an ideal world I would want to get a CB and a WR at 34 lol.... IMO we need both really bad. We need some weapons for our rookie QB, but I like Jenkins as a 4th if we wait till then.