Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF Top 101 NFL Players for 2019 Season: 5 Colts players make the list

stitches

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-top-101-players-from-the-2019-nfl-season

5 Colts players make the list... this is part of the reason I keep saying we have a roster with some great young pieces and some solid vets. 3 offensive linemen in the top 100. Here's all of the Colts players on their list:

The top 101 players from the 2019 NFL season

Super Bowl LIV brought a close to the 2019 season, and before we move on to the excitement of free agency and the draft, it's time to reflect for a moment on some of the best individual performances of the season.

The PFF Top 101 represents the top 101 individual performances this season regardless of position and credits the best players of the season that was.

At its heart, PFF remains a player evaluation site, and the 101 is our chance to acknowledge and praise the best players from the 2019 season one last time before we all look ahead to assembling rosters for the upcoming year.

Here is a quick reminder of our basic criteria

• -This list is based solely on 2019 play. Nothing that happened in previous years or may happen in the future is accounted for. This isn't about class or talent; it's about performance throughout the 2019 NFL season.
  • -This list is created with an “all positions are created equal” mantra. So, you won't see 32 quarterbacks heading the list — even though that is the game's most valuable position. Instead, we take a look at how guys played relative to what is expected from their position.
  • -Unlike PFF's awards, the 101 factors in the postseason, so some players who won PFF awards may find themselves jumped in the 101 by rivals who had a playoff run worthy of a change in ranking.
  • -Disagree with the players we've included here? Let us know on Twitter (@PFF).

11. G QUENTON NELSON, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

The one offensive lineman who brings everybody together, Quenton Nelson is a force in all areas of the game and a real tone-setter for the Colts' offensive line, as intangible as that is. On a more tangible level, he didn't surrender a sack all season despite blocking for a quarterback who makes that tougher than others do, and he was the second-best run-blocking guard in the NFL, one of just two to surpass a PFF grade of 90.0 in that area. Overall, Nelson ran Brandon Brooks close for the best-grade among guards, ending the year at 91.2 overall from over 1,000 snaps of action.

71. T ANTHONY CASTONZO, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

There have been few players as consistent as Anthony Castonzo over the majority of his career. Every one of the past eight seasons has seen him end the year with an overall PFF grade somewhere between 76.0 and 85.0, and this season he ended with a grade of 81.3. He allowed three sacks and 34 total pressures but was pass blocking for a quarterback who holds the ball longer than he should at times and stresses his pass protection.

92. T BRADEN SMITH, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

The Indianapolis Colts have assembled one of the best offensive lines in football, and it's largely due to hitting on young players, among them right tackle Braden Smith. A far less heralded draft pick than Quenton Nelson, and even Ryan Kelly at center, Smith has been impressive since entering the NFL nonetheless. He was at his best as a run blocker, dominating on the ground in most games, and while pass blocking was a weaker area, he was dealing with a quarterback who stresses pass protection more than most, and he still had solid grades in that area despite surrendering some pressure.

100. LB DARIUS LEONARD, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Darius Leonard opens his NFL career with back-to-back appearances on the PFF Top 101, backing up his remarkable rookie season with another good year, albeit a slightly lower overall PFF grade. Leonard had five interceptions this season and allowed a passer rating under 80.0 when targeted, around 25 points lower than the average passer rating when targeting linebackers at the NFL level. He proved that his rookie season was no fluke with an excellent sophomore year.

101. EDGE JUSTIN HOUSTON, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Justin Houston had dealt with so many injuries in Kansas City that the team ultimately decided to move on, but in his first year with the Colts, he proved he can still get after the quarterback. The Colts wisely kept him on something of a pitch count over the season, and he totaled just 674 snaps over the year, most of which came as a pass-rusher, and he responded with 60 total pressures, the highest figure he has notched since the 2015 campaign.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DonnieDarko1023 said:

I’m shocked Marlon Mack is not on there and Leonard seems extremely low 

pff and football outsider both had mack ranked outside their top 10 running backs.  

at first i thought that seemed low but after looking at the list i cant really argue with it. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/rb/2019

the OP is talking about pff ratings and i linked FO instead (they were similar) 

5 hours ago, DonnieDarko1023 said:

I’m shocked Marlon Mack is not on there and Leonard seems extremely low 

Probably because Mack's AVG dipped with all the teams keying on the run this year. I think had he eclipsed 1000, plus kept his AVG up, he would have made the list. It's just one of the many trickle down impacts of not having a decent passing game.

18 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

how is Leonard 100th? He should be top 50

Leonard himself admitted he had a slow start to the year, even relatively poor by his admittedly high standards.

Just off the top of my head I am sure he was out with an injury and then came back and played like, well, a maniac from that point on.  Would be interesting to see his ranking from that point.

18 hours ago, stitches said:

11. G QUENTON NELSON, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

The one offensive lineman who brings everybody together, Quenton Nelson is a force in all areas of the game and a real tone-setter for the Colts' offensive line, as intangible as that is. On a more tangible level, he didn't surrender a sack all season despite blocking for a quarterback who makes that tougher than others do, and he was the second-best run-blocking guard in the NFL, one of just two to surpass a PFF grade of 90.0 in that area. Overall, Nelson ran Brandon Brooks close for the best-grade among guards, ending the year at 91.2 overall from over 1,000 snaps of action.

The bolded part above stood out for me here...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Leonard himself admitted he had a slow start to the year, even relatively poor by his admittedly high standards.

Just off the top of my head I am sure he was out with an injury and then came back and played like, well, a maniac from that point on.  Would be interesting to see his ranking from that point.

The bolded part above stood out for me here...

He was rated 51.0 on November 5th(this is after 5 games and missing several with concussion). By the end of the season he had jumped to 78.8. So he probably was in the 90s in the last 8 games. 

• Thanks 1