Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Chad Kelly? (Poll)

1959Colts

Free Chad Kelly? (Poll)  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Is week 16 the time for Chad Kelly to start?

• Yes. The season is over, lets see what Chad (Swag) Kelly can do.
    • No. The 2019 Colts team is Brissett's to the bitter end

19 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

As far as we've heard, absolutely agree. And, not bashing, part of FR's 'debt' to Swag's Uncle Jim has been repaid.

I'm not sure FR's 'debt' to Jim Kelly is a valid scenario. Maybe in little league or kid's soccer, not even for the most uncreative coaches in the NFL.

13 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

I'm not sure FR's 'debt' to Jim Kelly is a valid scenario. Maybe in little league or kid's soccer, not even for the most uncreative coaches in the NFL.

We can certainly disagree on it. No other teams were interested in CK. I see him as this year's Adongo project - might be able to make a football player out of him, might not. Brought in as a project, but obviously as a favor to Jim. 

34 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

We can certainly disagree on it. No other teams were interested in CK. I see him as this year's Adongo project - might be able to make a football player out of him, might not. Brought in as a project, but obviously as a favor to Jim. 

Not obvious at all

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Not obvious at all

Mmm-kay.

He was brought here as a favor to another man with ties to another organization, rescued after seven months on the NFL scrap heap, having been written off as a lost cause. Bad-boy quarterback Chad Kelly wasn’t brought here to play football for the Indianapolis Colts. He was brought here to reinvent himself, to wash off the stink, and then play for someone else.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/08/28/chad-kelly-indianapolis-colts-andrew-luck-nfl/2141487001/

1 hour ago, Dogg63 said:

He's already a football player. Need to make a good reliable citizen out of him.

That's his only/biggest issue.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He's already a football player. Need to make a good reliable citizen out of him.

That's his only/biggest issue.

Again I disagree. If he was already a football player, several other teams would have scooped him up. There are several teams that don't care much about off-field issues as long as a guy's got the on-field goods. No teams were interested.

My thing has always been with Chad Kelly is, if any other team even thought he could help them out and he be good why haven't they took a chance on him? The way some people post in here, they think he is good and better than JB so am I missing something? I get he has been in trouble with the law but still not 1 other team has took a chance on him. Strange. On top of that, we won't even play him.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My thing has always been with Chad Kelly is, if any other team even thought he could help them out and he be good why haven't they took a chance on him? The way some people post in here, they think he is good and better than JB so am I missing something? I get he has been in trouble with the law but still not 1 other team has took a chance on him. Strange. On top of that, we won't even play him.

I believe it’s his baggage, no one but the Colts wanted to take the chance on him, and I do believe it was partially as a favor to his Uncle. The jury is still out on if he is better then Brissett, although he was a better college QB then him, and has shown some good stuff in both our preseason and the Broncos preseason, so much so that he beat out their #1 draft pick to become the backup QB for them. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Next TC and preseason be an indication of what’s the story with Chad.

The only thing I know at the moment is year 1 of rehabilitation was successful. 

However, if you beat a woman or PP hot, folks are more forgiving!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Again I disagree. If he was already a football player, several other teams would have scooped him up. There are several teams that don't care much about off-field issues as long as a guy's got the on-field goods. No teams were interested.

Most teams if not all hold the QB position to a higher standard, even if they are not as risk averse at other positions as some teams are. He had won the back up job in Denver before his latest screw up, so obviously he was preforming at a level of a "football" player. His college level resume sans the dumb stuff, was as impressive as the top 4 QBs in the 2020 draft. This is 99% behavior driven. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Next TC and preseason be an indication of what’s the story with Chad.

The only thing I know at the moment is year 1 of rehabilitation was successful. 

However, if you beat a woman or PP hot, folks are more forgiving!

I'd bet a lot that they were pretty specific with him, and put him "on plan". Step 1, was probably "in year 1, you need to chill the F out and be a reliable citizen and team mate"... Step 2 was likely "if you can succeed in step 1, and we have need, we'll revisit your plan and go from there".....  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

His baggage was 100% his reason for not getting snatched up. His connection to FR and Jim Kelly is the reason the Colts brought him in. The reason he didn’t get snatched up on the first cut was because of the baggage. The reason he didn’t get taken off our PS during the season meant another team had to put him on the 53 man roster for 4 games (paid for 4 anyways) and again, the risk was from his baggage. The Colts brought him up and kept him up while having zero intention of using him it appears and that to me is an indication that some team wanted to sign him while he was on the PS (and don’t forget he was highly paid as a PS player), the team didn’t release him while they needed spots because of other injuries but kept him without ever dressing him. That again indicates to me the team had a fear they would lose him if they left him exposed. 

I honestly believe this team has a solid degree of interest in letting him compete for a starters spot this next season. If they do not get a QB at 13 and one of those top 3 QB’s don’t land in their lap somehow or a FA guy like Carr doesn’t make it here, I honestly believe it’s an open spot between JB and CK. This team feels he has that type of talent or they wouldn’t have saved his spot for anyone’s uncle.

I may be in the minority here but aside from a first round trade up for the QB or a trade for a Carr type guy, I honestly think CK is poised to take over this team if he stays clean this offseason. It will have shown he is capable of maturing after being stupid and wreck less as an entitled young man. Imho 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

His baggage was 100% his reason for not getting snatched up. His connection to FR and Jim Kelly is the reason the Colts brought him in. The reason he didn’t get snatched up on the first cut was because of the baggage. The reason he didn’t get taken off our PS during the season meant another team had to put him on the 53 man roster for 4 games (paid for 4 anyways) and again, the risk was from his baggage. The Colts brought him up and kept him up while having zero intention of using him it appears and that to me is an indication that some team wanted to sign him while he was on the PS (and don’t forget he was highly paid as a PS player), the team didn’t release him while they needed spots because of other injuries but kept him without ever dressing him. That again indicates to me the team had a fear they would lose him if they left him exposed. 

I honestly believe this team has a solid degree of interest in letting him compete for a starters spot this next season. If they do not get a QB at 13 and one of those top 3 QB’s don’t land in their lap somehow or a FA guy like Carr doesn’t make it here, I honestly believe it’s an open spot between JB and CK. This team feels he has that type of talent or they wouldn’t have saved his spot for anyone’s uncle.

I may be in the minority here but aside from a first round trade up for the QB or a trade for a Carr type guy, I honestly think CK is poised to take over this team if he stays clean this offseason. It will have shown he is capable of maturing after being stupid and wreck less as an entitled young man. Imho 

After we lost to Tennessee and fell to 6-6, I wanted to see Kelly the last 4 games. That game realistically ended our season anyway.

4 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

That was a spot on article. I absolutely think his opportunity is with us. This may have simply been a test for him this season and a tremendous restraint on Reich and CB to put him under center even though things looked dire when JB was out and floundering so badly down the stretch. Maybe this was the mental test CB needed to see, can the kid stay mentally focused on the sidelines watching this team, knowing he could be of help but wasn’t asked to. Maybe see how he responds up to the draft time with a plan of if he stays positive and out of trouble during that time, he gets the chance. We know this kid has every bit of talent that these kids coming out this season has, at least the ones that may fall to us at 13. I’m high high on the kid from what we’ve seen. He is just risky in the behavior part. Stay clean and positive and he is a rich kid as a starter. At least the opportunity to be a starter. 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

After we lost to Tennessee and fell to 6-6, I wanted to see Kelly the last 4 games. That game realistically ended our season anyway.

Me too. Read my last post 

• Like 1

I have never been on the Chad Kelly wagon and I have no idea if he will stink or be good? I just wanted to see him play once we fell to 6-6 to see what we have in him. It would not have hurt anything at that point and all of us would've had an idea who Kelley really is. When we went to 6-6 losing to Houston and Tennessee the season was toast anyway IMO. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have never been on the Chad Kelly wagon and I have no idea if he will stink or be good? I just wanted to see him play once we fell to 6-6 to see what we have in him. It would not have hurt anything at that point and all of us would've had an idea who Kelley really is. When we went to 6-6 losing to Houston and Tennessee the season was toast anyway IMO. 

I think the Colts' coaching staff would've been afraid of the 'optics', so to speak--that playing Kelly could be interpreted as a sign they lacked confidence in Brissett. So it was never going to happen, even thought I think it should have. I agree with Doyle's characterization of Kelly, that he plays with flair and sizzle--something sorely lacking in Brissett. With Brissett, there's just no excitement, unless you consider 180 passing yards/game and a little over 1 TD/game "exciting". And I don't buy the nagging knee injury as an excuse. I don't know whether Kelly is the future, or whether some future draft pick will be, but I'm fairly certain that the future does not lie with Brissett. Nice guy, good teammate--mediocre QB.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Two_pound said:
  • The only part of the article I don't agree with was at the end where it said  Kelly will be Brissett's backup going forward. Nope, Kelly will be the starter going forward. I really think Brissett is done here in Indy.

JB will play to his contract, and then be gone - PROBABLY

• Like 1