Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have waived WR Deon Cain (and more)

MTC

3 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Interesting that Cain is still not signed by anybody leading me to think he is either lazy, not focused or just a bust 

He just signed to the colts practice squad after clearing waivers. He is not a bust. His story isn’t over. He has the speed and he has to work his butt off in the off season. He is just very raw. The colts just over hyped him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

That was my point.  You got Hoyer out here spraying passes (& interceptions) all over the field...  Maybe you should have kept the big bodied receiver if you're gonna have Hoyer just throwing deep shots all game.  But Johnson caught 1 catch: which shamefully is probably just as many catches as Cain has had the last month...

Cain would likely have looked good on all those fades. He definitely creates separation on go routes.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Interesting that Cain is still not signed by anybody leading me to think he is either lazy, not focused or just a bust 

Teams this time of year aren't likely to cut an existing roster player for someone unproven. Cain is still in the developmental phase, and the time to shop for those guys is post and pre-season.

I'm glad he's back on the PS, because he does have potential. That potential however isn't very complimentary for a team like ours without a deep threat. Can they turn him into a possession guy (which he's never been)? IDK, but IMO his chances would be higher on a team with a different O/QB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Similar to Kelly, I think we waived Cain late in the week because I think the Dolphins would have claimed him.  They just lost their leading receiver.  Glad he's back on the practice squad.  We need Funchess back so Cain can soak up some game. 

Funchess and Cain couldn't be any more different in terms of skill sets and what areas they excel in. The only thing they have in common are drops, and they're not really similar in drop types. Cain is a "focus" dropper, while Funch is a "body" dropper (like Ebron). 

If we're trying to turn Cain into a possession type WR, it's probably best he learn from TY, who can excel in both possession and deep type routes.

Expectations just have to be managed with Cain. I was definitely on the Cain Train, but I realize that expecting him to blow up year was just too premature. He's essentially a rookie that spent the last year focusing on rehabbing from a really tough injury, not honing his craft.

Also, an ACL tear takes a long time to truly recover, since one of the main obstacles is the mental distrust of that repaired knee. It took Hooker essentially an additional season/offseason to return to form. That seems to be the norm and I'd expect Cain to be in the same position. 

He'll need development time too and the PS is perfect for him to get that. He also gets to work against our starting CBs on a consistent basis, which is huge.

I'd like to see Cain after an off season of honing his craft vs rehabbing an injury. If we're still having this conversation this time next year, then maybe it would be time to move on.

Ive always been a huge Cain fan, disappointed he isnt back to form due to injury but it does take time for many players to regain not only their speed but confidence. Glad he cleared waivers and made it back to our p.s.  Surprised Chad Williams wasnt brought up as opposed to Johnson, he must not be showing much, Once Funchess , T.y and Campbell are back we likely see Johnson and/or Dulin cut with Pascal the number 4 (I remember some thought Rogers had more upside than Pascal that now seem way off base).

7 hours ago, MPStack said:

Your welcome!

A friendly piece of advice, don’t post misleading stuff and let the Cain stuff go. Maybe in 3 or 4 years after he “develops” folks can hype Cain back up.

Cheers

I'm not hyping him up anymore. I still think he has potential, and I think part of the problem is that he has literally no rapport (is that how you spell that?) with Brissett. Seriously, look it up. Brissett never sees him whenever he's open. However it's clear that he's just not ready yet or maybe never will be ready. Despite that, I think that his situation worth monitoring at least for this week considering how short we are on WRs, especially deep threats.