Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cardinals problem was not the Quarterback last season...

bap1331

I hate when organizations do this and this is why they stay miserable for long periods of time. They get hyped for a quarterback that the media hypes and instead of fixing their real problem, they prefer to have a quarterback. The real problem last season for the Cardinals was the offensive line. Arizona was in the bottom 10 in run blocking and pass protection meaning Rosen didnt even have a good chance of making decent plays. Everytime i saw him snap, the defense was already in his face. If i were the GM, i would have traded down the #1 pick and gotten some really good multiple amount of picks at offensive line and even defense to surround Rosen.

Its definitely something the Ravens do to continue their playoff runs every year. They never really focus on QB but a solid defense and a good oline. I feel bad that Arizona could have literally turned their team around in 1-2 years without drafting Murray but instead they probably set the team back 3-4 years.

• Like 1

While I don't disagree about the Cardinals last season a few things I'd like to consider on top:

• What does it say about Rosen that he's behind Fitzpatrick at the Dolphins currently? 
  • If Murray is as good as projected/hyped, and you're in a position to draft him, can you turn down the opportunity? 

Related to the above, I disagree the Ravens haven't focused on their QB, they had Flacco who was serviceable at least and then invested a fairly high pick in QB when opportunity presented itself. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

While I don't disagree about the Cardinals last season a few things I'd like to consider on top:

• What does it say about Rosen that he's behind Fitzpatrick at the Dolphins currently? 
  • If Murray is as good as projected/hyped, and you're in a position to draft him, can you turn down the opportunity? 

Related to the above, I disagree the Ravens haven't focused on their QB, they had Flacco who was serviceable at least and then invested a fairly high pick in QB when opportunity presented itself. 

I would say that QB wasn't the ONLY problem for the Cardinals but I do think it was a problem.  If Rosen was a franchise guy he should be easily beating out Fitzpatrick right now.

It's not an easy decision.  Do you draft your QB right away and risk having him beat up and injured because of a shoddy offensive line.  Or do you trade down, grab a haul of picks and fix the team around him and risk always winning too many games to get a franchise QB but never being good enough to make a deep post season run. 

Apparently, Haskins can't yet beat out Case Keenum or Colt McCoy, so the notion that Rosen was the problem because a first round draft pick can't beat out a veteran in preseason doesn't hold water, IMO.

I agree with the OP.  While Murray is a more dynamic player, but not necessarily a more accurate passer, I think the Cards would have been better of to build a team around Rosen than to draft a different QB.

34 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Apparently, Haskins can't yet beat out Case Keenum or Colt McCoy, so the notion that Rosen was the problem because a first round draft pick can't beat out a veteran in preseason doesn't hold water, IMO.

I agree with the OP.  While Murray is a more dynamic player, but not necessarily a more accurate passer, I think the Cards would have been better of to build a team around Rosen than to draft a different QB.

Rosen has had a year starting/practicing at the NFL level... Haskins hasn't. I'd argue too that Keenum is better than Fitzpatrick right now.

4 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Rosen has had a year starting/practicing at the NFL level... Haskins hasn't. I'd argue too that Keenum is better than Fitzpatrick right now.

Debatable, hes been more consist but never lifted a team the way Fitzmagic has.  neither one of them seems to stick around anywhere for very long.  RF has been having a good camp too, but no one will be surprised when he goes from hero to dud a few weeks into the season 

Just now, aaron11 said:

Debatable, hes been more consist but never lifted a team the way Fitzmagic has.  neither one of them seems to stick around anywhere for very long.  RF has been having a good camp too, but no one will be surprised when he goes from hero to dud a few weeks into the season 

Oh certainly, only my opinion and gut feel based on Firzpatrick declining further. 

2 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Obviously each respective team does not think their veterans are the long term answer and have therefore invested a lot in a younger QB.

The vibe I got from the comments was that Miami has already decided Rosen is not what they thought he was when they made the trade, or is a lesser QB than Murray, evidenced by the fact he is still behind Fitz. 

I think they feel Rosen is a franchise QB despite his current seating on the roster.

26 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Obviously each respective team does not think their veterans are the long term answer and have therefore invested a lot in a younger QB.

The vibe I got from the comments was that Miami has already decided Rosen is not what they thought he was when they made the trade, or is a lesser QB than Murray, evidenced by the fact he is still behind Fitz. 

I think they feel Rosen is a franchise QB despite his current seating on the roster.

I tend to agree that Rosen can succeed, I think Haskins might be in a worse situation than Rosen was last year in some ways.

A little off topic but here goes. Fitzpatrick isn’t perfect but he’s been getting screwed even worse than Case Keemum. Dirk Koetter was on the hottest seat last year from the start which everybody forgot when they started 2-0. Then they lost a tough one to the Steelers. Then they weren’t ready to play the game of football against the Bears. And Kotter just blamed 1 quarterback or the other weekly or biweekly or whatever to cover his rump. They should have kept Fitz in until he lost 3 or 4 games in a row.