Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bap1331

Cardinals problem was not the Quarterback last season...

I hate when organizations do this and this is why they stay miserable for long periods of time. They get hyped for a quarterback that the media hypes and instead of fixing their real problem, they prefer to have a quarterback. The real problem last season for the Cardinals was the offensive line. Arizona was in the bottom 10 in run blocking and pass protection meaning Rosen didnt even have a good chance of making decent plays. Everytime i saw him snap, the defense was already in his face. If i were the GM, i would have traded down the #1 pick and gotten some really good multiple amount of picks at offensive line and even defense to surround Rosen.

Its definitely something the Ravens do to continue their playoff runs every year. They never really focus on QB but a solid defense and a good oline. I feel bad that Arizona could have literally turned their team around in 1-2 years without drafting Murray but instead they probably set the team back 3-4 years.

While I don't disagree about the Cardinals last season a few things I'd like to consider on top:

• What does it say about Rosen that he's behind Fitzpatrick at the Dolphins currently? 
  • If Murray is as good as projected/hyped, and you're in a position to draft him, can you turn down the opportunity? 

Related to the above, I disagree the Ravens haven't focused on their QB, they had Flacco who was serviceable at least and then invested a fairly high pick in QB when opportunity presented itself. 

7 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

While I don't disagree about the Cardinals last season a few things I'd like to consider on top:

• What does it say about Rosen that he's behind Fitzpatrick at the Dolphins currently? 
  • If Murray is as good as projected/hyped, and you're in a position to draft him, can you turn down the opportunity? 

Related to the above, I disagree the Ravens haven't focused on their QB, they had Flacco who was serviceable at least and then invested a fairly high pick in QB when opportunity presented itself. 

I would say that QB wasn't the ONLY problem for the Cardinals but I do think it was a problem.  If Rosen was a franchise guy he should be easily beating out Fitzpatrick right now.

It's not an easy decision.  Do you draft your QB right away and risk having him beat up and injured because of a shoddy offensive line.  Or do you trade down, grab a haul of picks and fix the team around him and risk always winning too many games to get a franchise QB but never being good enough to make a deep post season run. 

Apparently, Haskins can't yet beat out Case Keenum or Colt McCoy, so the notion that Rosen was the problem because a first round draft pick can't beat out a veteran in preseason doesn't hold water, IMO.

I agree with the OP.  While Murray is a more dynamic player, but not necessarily a more accurate passer, I think the Cards would have been better of to build a team around Rosen than to draft a different QB.

he wasnt the biggest problem, but he hasnt shown much either.  RF is probably the best QB on the dolphins now

34 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Apparently, Haskins can't yet beat out Case Keenum or Colt McCoy, so the notion that Rosen was the problem because a first round draft pick can't beat out a veteran in preseason doesn't hold water, IMO.

I agree with the OP.  While Murray is a more dynamic player, but not necessarily a more accurate passer, I think the Cards would have been better of to build a team around Rosen than to draft a different QB.

Rosen has had a year starting/practicing at the NFL level... Haskins hasn't. I'd argue too that Keenum is better than Fitzpatrick right now.

4 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Rosen has had a year starting/practicing at the NFL level... Haskins hasn't. I'd argue too that Keenum is better than Fitzpatrick right now.

Debatable, hes been more consist but never lifted a team the way Fitzmagic has.  neither one of them seems to stick around anywhere for very long.  RF has been having a good camp too, but no one will be surprised when he goes from hero to dud a few weeks into the season 

Just now, aaron11 said:

Debatable, hes been more consist but never lifted a team the way Fitzmagic has.  neither one of them seems to stick around anywhere for very long.  RF has been having a good camp too, but no one will be surprised when he goes from hero to dud a few weeks into the season 

Oh certainly, only my opinion and gut feel based on Firzpatrick declining further. 

2 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Obviously each respective team does not think their veterans are the long term answer and have therefore invested a lot in a younger QB.

The vibe I got from the comments was that Miami has already decided Rosen is not what they thought he was when they made the trade, or is a lesser QB than Murray, evidenced by the fact he is still behind Fitz. 

I think they feel Rosen is a franchise QB despite his current seating on the roster.

26 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Obviously each respective team does not think their veterans are the long term answer and have therefore invested a lot in a younger QB.

The vibe I got from the comments was that Miami has already decided Rosen is not what they thought he was when they made the trade, or is a lesser QB than Murray, evidenced by the fact he is still behind Fitz. 

I think they feel Rosen is a franchise QB despite his current seating on the roster.

I tend to agree that Rosen can succeed, I think Haskins might be in a worse situation than Rosen was last year in some ways.

A little off topic but here goes. Fitzpatrick isn’t perfect but he’s been getting screwed even worse than Case Keemum. Dirk Koetter was on the hottest seat last year from the start which everybody forgot when they started 2-0. Then they lost a tough one to the Steelers. Then they weren’t ready to play the game of football against the Bears. And Kotter just blamed 1 quarterback or the other weekly or biweekly or whatever to cover his rump. They should have kept Fitz in until he lost 3 or 4 games in a row.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• Well first of all, not all Jones' pro-bowlers were pro-bowlers as rookies.  For example, Michael Irvin and Troy Aikman were drafted in '88 and '89, respectively.  They didn't make a probowl until 1991.  Arguably, because Emmit Smith (who made the probowl as a rookie in 1990) was added to form the original 'trio' (followed later by our Colts, who didn't see Marvin or Peyton become pro-bowlers until 1999 when Edge was drafted).     Big Q and The Maniac were the first rookie duo to make first team all-pro on the same team (and 2nd time in NFL history) since 1965 when Dick Butkus and Gale Sayers did it.  Several players drafted by Ballard have potential to be pro-bowlers.  I won't be shocked to see Braden Smith, Marlon Mack, Malik Hooker, Rock Ya-Sin, Kemoko Turay, Ben Banogu, Bobby Okereke,  Anthony Walker, Khari Willis, Nyheim Hines (return man) make at least one pro-bowl before their careers are over (I doubt all of them will, but I'm sure at least one of those guys will, probably more).     I don't have the time to do it, but I would bet that very few GMs have every single player from the past 3 drafts still in the NFL.  TBH, I wouldn't be shocked if Ballard is the only GM in the league who can say that.     Of picks who didn't make it as Colts since Ballard started: 2017: Basham is doing fine for the Jets as a rotational DL, Zach Banner started 1 game in Pittsburgh and was depth for them last year, Nate Hairston had a decent year with NYJ last year.   2018: Deon Cain is the only one not still with the Colts (out of 11 picks, that's ridiculous), and he started 3 games for Pittsburgh last year coming off a bad injury as a rookie (he also started 3 with us before we put him to PS and he got claimed by Pitt)   2019: Javon Patterson went on IR but is still with us. Jackson Barton didn't make our team, but has a SB ring and is still with KC. Gerri Green is the only other guy who was only a practice squad guy out of the 10 picks in that draft.            
    • Jordan Love  Jacob Eason  Anthony Gordon  Jalen Hurts  James Morgan        I had Gordon ranked above Eason weeks ago but I love Eason's arm and I like his upside more than Gordon's. 
    • It seems like you'd be happy if the Colts only drafted Notre Dame players every year.  So nothing I say here will probably make sense to you.   Kmet was a productive college TE, for sure.  He like @WarGhost21 already said is not a very good blocker.  With his size, that's alarming.  It seems like his poor blocking is due to a lack of instincts there, which are hard to teach.  Not totally unteachable, but lack of instinct is not a good trait to have in the NFL.  He also ran a 4.7 forty, which is decent for a TE in the NFL (good for a college TE).  There are 4 other TEs faster than him in this draft.  My take on Kmet is that he's already playing right around his ceiling and won't really improve too much in the NFL in terms of blocking.  He gets jammed up at the line if a body is put on him and doesn't have the speed to recover if that happens.   I will trust the scouts, coaches and Ballard to make the right decisions in the draft (Ballard has a pretty good track record).  I won't be terribly upset if we took Kmet at 34, but depending how the board plays out in the first round, I imagine there will be players with more value than Kmet at that spot.     I don't think this TE class is as bad as others are saying, as I think several TEs from this class will be productive NFL players (Brycen Hopkins, Albert Okwuegbunam, Thad Moss, Harrison Bryant being a few of them).  I don't see any Gronks or Tony Gonzalezes in this draft, though.  If I had to bet, I think Harrison Bryan and Albert Okwuegbunam (and maybe Thad Moss) have the highest ceilings and they are all players who seem like they can grow more with NFL coaching than Kmet, IMO. ______________________________________________________________________________________ In terms of top WR that may be available around when we pick, Ballard has been saying for a while now that this class is loaded with WR talent.  It'll be interesting to see what happens, as a lot of teams picking in Rd. 1 have a lot higher priorities than WR.  I think the odds of a QB run in the first vs. a lack of QB run are almost 50/50.     The guys I see at WR who are going to be very good right out of the gates are CeeDee Lamb, Jerry Jeudy, Riggs III, Higgins.  More likely than not, those guys will be gone way before 34 comes around.   Guys who I think are most likely to be very good out the gate are Claypool, J. Jefferson, Jalen Reagor, Mims, and Brandon Aiyuk.  There is a very good chance more than 1 of them are available at 34.  I'd prefer us getting a big body which would eliminate both Aiyuk (5'11), Reagor (5'11).  It seems as though Mims' stock is rising as fast as any player in the entire draft, so I doubt he's around when we pick.   Other big frame guys who I think could be good early (but better with a year or two of coaching and NFL experience) are Gabriel Davis (6'2" 216 lbs, 4.54 forty, 72 receptions, 1,241 yards, 12 TDs last year), Laviska Shenault Jr (6'1" 227 lbs, 4.58 forty, 52 receptions, 721 yards, 4 TDs last year), Tyler Johnson (6'2" 200 lbs, 4.54 forty, 86 catches, 1,318 yards, 13 TDs last year), Collin Johnson (6'5" 221 lbs, 4.55 forty, 38-559-3 last year), Michael Pittman Jr. (6'3" 219 lbs, 4.52 forty, 101-1,275-11 last year), Antonio Gandy-Golden (6'3" 222 lbs, 4.6 forty, 79-1,396-10 last year), Bryan Edwards (6'3" 212, 4.58 forty, 71-816-6 last year), Kalija Lipscomb (6'1" 202 lbs, 4.57 forty, 43-468-2 last year), Van Jefferson (6'1" 200 lbs, 4.55 forty, 49-657-6 last year), Stephen Guidry (6'4" 190 lbs, 4.47, 24-311-4 last year on a bad Miss St. passing offense), John Hightower (6'1" 189 lbs, 4.43 forty, 51-943-8 last year), Donovan Peoples-Jones (6'2" 212, 4.48 forty, 34-438-6 last year and better the year before).  A few others, but I'll stop there.  All of these guys should be available at 34 (and many in the 3rd/4th/5th rounds).     One smaller guy to look out for KJ Hamler from PSU.  5'9" 178, 4.4 forty, 56-904-8 last year.  He reminds me of a hybrid between TY Hilton, DeSean Jackson and Hollywood Brown.  He is very good after the catch and if we're looking for a future TY replacement, he seems like the one WR in this draft that could be his clone.  He's projected at rounds 2-4.   To be honest, if Ballard really wants to boost our WRs, if one of the studs in the first 2 lists doesn't drop to us, I wouldn't be a bit shocked to see him trade 34 back for additional picks allowing us to get 2-3 WRs from the last two groups.  I'd be thrilled to see us get KJ Hamler (TY clone) and a bigger guy like Gabriel Davis or Tyler Johnson in the late second or 3rd, and use our 44th on a TE, OL, CB, or DE.              
    • I personally prefer Mims at pick 34.  But still researching.   Here are a couple of videos of Mims and Claypool 1 on 1 drills at the Senior bowl.  Looks like Claypool has greater size and strength to push the DB around, while Mims has greater sudden mobility and separation to go long.      
    • I think you misunderstood me, as I clearly stated I read a prediction no TE would be taken by B/R. I also stated on not a fan of B/R, but I do agree with them that the TE class is weak.  I don’t think Kmet is close the talent as some think. JMO and won’t bicker about it.    Cheers
  • Members