Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard's approach at DT

Colts1324

I've heard a lot of buzz this offseason about the confidence Ballard has in Jihad Ward. Does anybody see Ward as a potential stud at DT? I didn't know he was a high 2nd round pick 4 years ago. I am still surprised we didn't go harder after McCoy or haven't looked at Corey Luiget from SD. 

11 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I've heard a lot of buzz this offseason about the confidence Ballard has in Jihad Ward. Does anybody see Ward as a potential stud at DT? I didn't know he was a high 2nd round pick 4 years ago. I am still surprised we didn't go harder after McCoy or haven't looked at Corey Luiget from SD. 

He has potential, but he can't stay on the field.  I think he's played in something like 11 games the last two years.

Maybe the new training staff can help him.  When he plays he looks good.

I suspect Ballard doesn't see the value in paying a rotational guy (McCoy) what he wants. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

That is a surprise but keep in mind when they signed Hankins a couple years ago he wasn't signed until like the 2nd week of June.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

After the draft Ballard said he likes what we have along the line in general, citing Hunt and Autry had very good years on the inside last year, he expects Grover Stewart to make a big leap this year, and that Jihad Ward is a very good player.  Also said Lewis will play a bit more inside this season.

Of course he isn't going to publicly bash our own players, but he sure did sound genuine when talking about it.

My guess is unless there is an unexpected player who gets waived, or someone on our team gets hurt, we're not going to make a big splash on the interior of the DL.

• Like 1

Yesterday I heard on sports talk person say this, anyone can recruit talent it is another thing to build a team. Apply that to fans concerns as to why Ballard does not go after this super star or that superstar. The Browns are stacking talent for sure but now their challenge is to make it all work and with a new HC it is going to be a challenge.

19 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

After the draft Ballard said he likes what we have along the line in general, citing Hunt and Autry had very good years on the inside last year, he expects Grover Stewart to make a big leap this year, and that Jihad Ward is a very good player.  Also said Lewis will play a bit more inside this season.

Of course he isn't going to publicly bash our own players, but he sure did sound genuine when talking about it.

My guess is unless there is an unexpected player who gets waived, or someone on our team gets hurt, we're not going to make a big splash on the interior of the DL.

Not sure if you are in Indy or not but JMV, local radio talking head here in town, has sources inside the team who suggested the same around draft time.  They like the d'linemen they have now.

• Like 1

One of the things that surprised me about Ward in his little bit of playing time, was how well he played the run.  He was very good and hitting his gap, diagnosing the play and reacting, so he was able to provide chase on the RBs and not allowing them to cut back into a hole.  It didn't result in a lot of tackles for him but he made it easier for Lbers and DBs to react to the run and come up to make a play.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

One of the things that surprised me about Ward in his little bit of playing time, was how well he played the run.  He was very good and hitting his gap, diagnosing the play and reacting, so he was able to provide chase on the RBs and not allowing them to cut back into a hole.  It didn't result in a lot of tackles for him but he made it easier for Lbers and DBs to react to the run and come up to make a play.

Wasn't our Tony McCoy also pretty good at that? Can't remember his specific role on the line. 

5 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Wasn't our Tony McCoy also pretty good at that? Can't remember his specific role on the line. 

You know, I don't remember much about McCoy other than he and Goose formed quite the tandem in 95/96 and were big reasons why the Colts had the top rushing defense.  If I were to compare him to a former Colt I would say Ellis Johnson or, even though he is not popular on this forum, Quinn Pitcock.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Not sure if you are in Indy or not but JMV, local radio talking head here in town, has sources inside the team who suggested the same around draft time.  They like the d'linemen they have now.

Not in Indy (Wyoming), but Ballard is pretty sincere in most of his interviews (IMO).  He seemed very confident in the DL we have now... when he talked about the LBs from last year, he didn't rip them, but his voice and demeanor changed tone, he basically said we can improve there... and he drafted hard there.