Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CR91 Way too early 53 man roster plus PS

CR91

8 hours ago, J@son said:

I simply don't agree with that.  He was 2nd on the team with 5 drops and they seemed to have all been in pretty critical situations.  He's a decent returner but not really good or great (imo).  He has value, but I wouldn't say "a lot".  I'm simply ready to move on..but that's just me.

I'm no fan of drops, but he is not the only, or biggest dropper.

% wise, Rogers was 5th in drops vs all the primary weapons we have this year.

sure you can talk about timing, but I remember a ton of poorly dropped passes last year from others as well. IIRC, Indy was top 3 in drops last year as a team, maybe the worst.

Here's how are guys looked last year.

Ebron 9 on 110 targets (8.2%)

Funchess 7 on 79 targets (8.9%)

Rogers 5 on 72 targets (6.9%)

Pascal 4 on 46 targets (8.7%)

Hines 4 on 81 targets (4.9%)

Hilton 4 on 120 targets (3.3%)

Mack 3 on 26 targets (11.5%)

Not a fan of Fox stats, but they are not as bad as others.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2018&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=11&qualified=1&sortOrder=0&page=5

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Thanks for doing...... from my opinion its should end up being very close

Is Webb a RT or LT?......  I was thinking he was a RT.

I also think we will ALL be surprised with the DBs

There will be some feel good players from last year (And maybe this year) that will be cut

Thats what happens when your team improves

He played RT last year, but id rather have him backing up AC then Garcia just with having more experience. 

5 hours ago, krunk said:

Hentges looks like a young Jack Doyle.  I don't really see him making the team over Ross Travis though.  Not at this stage anyway.

I don't get why everyone likes Ross Travis so much. The guy had one good game. He hasn't done anything sense.

On 5/8/2019 at 1:13 PM, jskinnz said:

As good as you can do in May @CR91  I personally think you have one too many in the RB, TE and WR group.  Probably won't carry 6 WRs, 4 RBs and 4TEs.  

I also think you are light on LBs.  

Perhaps, but the 6 WRs and 4 TEs work out better then say a 10th olinemen or 7th LB that we can just stash on the PS

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

I don't get why everyone likes Ross Travis so much. The guy had one good game. He hasn't done anything sense.

It's not that people like Travis so much,  although some do....

It's that there's no reason to have Hentges on your 53.   A guy who is barely producing for your college team -- even Alabama -- rarely makes the jump to the 53.    They ususally need a year or two on the PS as Doyle did before coming into their own.

On 5/8/2019 at 9:50 AM, CR91 said:

QB- Luck, Brissett

RB- Mack, Ware, Hines, Wilkins

WR-Hilton, Funchess, Campbell, Cain, Pascal, Rogers

TE- Ebron, Doyle, Allie-Cox, Hentges 

LT- AC, Webb

LG- Nelson

C- Kelly, Boehm

RG- Glowinski, Haeg

RT- Smith, Garcia

Offense-25

DE- Sheard, Turay

UT- Autry, Lewis, Ward

NT- Hunt, Stewart

DE- Houston, Green

SAM- Benogu, Adams

Mike- Walker, Okereke

Will- Leonard, Speed

CB- Desir, Ya-sin, Moore, Wilson, Collins

SS- Geathers, Willis, Kindred

FS- Hooker, Tell

Defense-25

K-Vinny

P-Sanchez

LS-Rhodes

ST-3

PS- Walker, Odum, Peters, Patterson, Hart, Fountain, Poehls, Skai Moore, Franklin, Barton

Not sure if we can put Odum and the LBers on the PS, but that is my guess for the 53 man roster.

Sorry....     I'm late to this party....

First,  thanks for doing this....     these are always helpful and leads to better understanding.

Several observations....

One,  your ratio split,  25 offense,  25 defense rarely happens.    Most teams do 26/24 or 27/23 in favor of the defense.     That's where most special teams players perform,  plus defense is far more violent.    So, while I wouldn't say 25/25 never happens,  it's the least likely breakdown for all NFL teams.

On the offensive side of the ball...   not only do you have 25,   but you have 4 RB's,  6 WR's and 4 TE's.    Just too much.    I'd put Hentges over on the PS where he belongs.    Making the jump from college back-up to the NFL-53 is incredibly hard.    He'll need a year or two to get up to speed.

You also only have 9 OL,  not 10.    Maybe that happens,  but I think it's better than 50-50 that we do keep 10.    Could be Andrews,  could be Clark,  could be someone else.    Just a heads-up.

Over on the defensive side of the ball....    just 25 and you may want to add Muhammed to the DL. Having Green as the back-up DE is not likely.    LB seems about right, but Speed will have to make a very big jump from small school to NFL back-up.    Yes, I know what Leonard did.   But those are more the exception than they are the rule.

As for the corners and safeties....  you've somehow left off Farely for Kincaid.    Not sure I see that happening,  but I suppose it's possible.  I think we'll carry 6 corners,  and that's where I'd put Tell.  He's starting his career at corner.    Farely would take his spot at safety.

This is a good start.    We'll have a better feel when camp starts in late July.     And of course,  Ballard will blow-up all our projections at the cut-down date.   He is hot, HOT to claim talent off of other teams.    That is highly likely to happen.    Who gets cut to make room for new talent is anyone's guess!

7 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

What WRs are you assuming can't block?

I agree that WRs (and RBs) need to block on plays that require it in a perfect world. Some WRs are just so dangerous in receiving, they're blocking issues are overlooked. And of course WRs can be situational based on play calling. I'm just not sure I can say for a fact that our other (or new) WRs can't block.

TY is decent at getting in the way.  When Grant was here he wasn’t exactly a threat at ... anything.   Chester is a good blocker, but he’s sneaky and they could probably call holding on him every time.  Pascal was probably the best, which is why he’s in there an so many run plays.  

Ebron hasnt thrown a block since ninth grade.  I’m not sure about Funchess. Don’t expect Parris to knock anyone back.  

It is a skill that goes unnoticed by most fans when it comes to receivers.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry....     I'm late to this party....

First,  thanks for doing this....     these are always helpful and leads to better understanding.

Several observations....

One,  your ratio split,  25 offense,  25 defense rarely happens.    Most teams do 26/24 or 27/23 in favor of the defense.     That's where most special teams players perform,  plus defense is far more violent.    So, while I wouldn't say 25/25 never happens,  it's the least likely breakdown for all NFL teams.

On the offensive side of the ball...   not only do you have 25,   but you have 4 RB's,  6 WR's and 4 TE's.    Just too much.    I'd put Hentges over on the PS where he belongs.    Making the jump from college back-up to the NFL-53 is incredibly hard.    He'll need a year or two to get up to speed.

You also only have 9 OL,  not 10.    Maybe that happens,  but I think it's better than 50-50 that we do keep 10.    Could be Andrews,  could be Clark,  could be someone else.    Just a heads-up.

Over on the defensive side of the ball....    just 25 and you may want to add Muhammed to the DL. Having Green as the back-up DE is not likely.    LB seems about right, but Speed will have to make a very big jump from small school to NFL back-up.    Yes, I know what Leonard did.   But those are more the exception than they are the rule.

As for the corners and safeties....  you've somehow left off Farely for Kincaid.    Not sure I see that happening,  but I suppose it's possible.  I think we'll carry 6 corners,  and that's where I'd put Tell.  He's starting his career at corner.    Farely would take his spot at safety.

This is a good start.    We'll have a better feel when camp starts in late July.     And of course,  Ballard will blow-up all our projections at the cut-down date.   He is hot, HOT to claim talent off of other teams.    That is highly likely to happen.    Who gets cut to make room for new talent is anyone's guess!

I apperciate your observations.

The idea wasn't to go even. Just happened that way. Perhaps 6 WRs and 4 TEs is a bit much, but not unlikely. The colts love two things on offense. Deploying mutiple TE sets and WRs that can block. I also think the more options on offense, the more matchups we can take advantage of depending on who we're facing. As for Hentges, yes he wasn't part used much in the passing game in Alabama, but that was more because of scheme then his inability to be part of the passing game as he was used more as a blocker.

As for the oline, we could carry 10, but I just don't see anyone worth keeping that we can't stash on the PS. Clark is already a bubble player and do we really need a 3rd string Center?

I went Green instead of Muhammad mostly because I just wasn't that impressed by him. I think Green has more upside and can stand up if the colts want to experiment with that.

Farley or Kindred is fine with me. Personally, I think kindred has more upside. As for Tell, yes he'll play CB, but I think the colts will use him as a Hybrid S in certain coverages and allow him to lurk.

At any point, this is all in good fun :thmup:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CR91 said:

I believe he was pretty close to making the team last year. Plus we don't have any other TE who have more of a receiver type skill set. Every other TE we have who has a reasonable chance to make it is a blocking TE. I think Travis is more unique. Plus he's got experience in the league and in this scheme. I give hin the edge over Hentges who can easily be put on the PS.

13 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

I'm no fan of drops, but he is not the only, or biggest dropper.

% wise, Rogers was 5th in drops vs all the primary weapons we have this year.

sure you can talk about timing, but I remember a ton of poorly dropped passes last year from others as well. IIRC, Indy was top 3 in drops last year as a team, maybe the worst.

Here's how are guys looked last year.

Ebron 9 on 110 targets (8.2%)

Funchess 7 on 79 targets (8.9%)

Rogers 5 on 72 targets (6.9%)

Pascal 4 on 46 targets (8.7%)

Hines 4 on 81 targets (4.9%)

Hilton 4 on 120 targets (3.3%)

Mack 3 on 26 targets (11.5%)

Not a fan of Fox stats, but they are not as bad as others.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2018&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=11&qualified=1&sortOrder=0&page=5

I definitely didn't mean to imply that he was the worst on the team in terms of drops.  Ebron did plenty of good to make up for the drops he had (though we'd still hope his drops are reduced in 2019).  Mack is our primary RB so yeah his percentage is way too high but it's also a smaller sample size.  I didn't really include Funchess in my thinking because he was on a different team, different scheme and different QB throwing him the ball.  Any of those things could have contributed to his drops.

Between Pascal and Rogers, gut feeling says that Rogers drops were far more significant...they seemed to happen in more crucial moments.  Not that that excuses Pascal but it seemed to me that Pascal was more clutch than Rogers was.  Rogers provides some value as a returner but he didn't exactly hold that job all year either.  

I just feel that, of all the options, Rogers has probably come closest to reaching his ceiling and it's just not all that high.  Pascal may never improve to be significantly better but I think he has more of chance for that to happen than Rogers.  

19 hours ago, Smonroe said:

TY is decent at getting in the way.  When Grant was here he wasn’t exactly a threat at ... anything.   Chester is a good blocker, but he’s sneaky and they could probably call holding on him every time.  Pascal was probably the best, which is why he’s in there an so many run plays.  

Ebron hasnt thrown a block since ninth grade.  I’m not sure about Funchess. Don’t expect Parris to knock anyone back.  

It is a skill that goes unnoticed by most fans when it comes to receivers.  

I'm typically drinking beer or stuffing my face while watching games, so I won't pretend to know the blocking capabilities of most, but I do remember Ebron laying the wood to someone last year. Not saying he's a good blocker, I just recall it because my buddy called it out. 

And yup, Rogers gets the job done. I remember either Luck or Reich giving him props.

• Like 1