Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BREAKING: Did NFL Combine Doctors MISDIAGNOSE Sweat's Heart Condition?

A story out today says Montez Sweat got a 2nd opinion with the doctors of the Houston Texans.    And those doctors think the Combine doctors made a mistake.     The Texans doctors believe the Combine doctors mis-measured the thickness of the heart lining for Sweat.

They think the doctors accidentally included the lining of a 2nd muscle.   And the two muscles together measure out at 2 centimeters.

But the Texans doctors say when measuring only the one muscle correctly,  the measurement would be 1.5 centimeters.    And that's the proper amount.

If true,  and who knows how many NFL doctors have had a chance to go over the new findings,  this may change the calculous for when Sweat goes....

Here's the NFL.com story for you to check....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001027883/article/montez-sweat-possibly-misdiagnosed-with-heart-issue

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the concept is that a thicker heart muscle implies it's built up that thickness from having to work harder under normal conditions, which would place tremendous strain on it when under stress.  I think those kinds of genetic heart conditions tend to correlate with people who are also genetically....um....robust, and Sweat seems to have a tall, lanky body type.  So the possibility of a misdiagnosis makes some sense to me with my very narrow and amateurish look at it.

What a bummer that the kid might lose a few million over that misdiagnosis, if true.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That sounds like his agent. Who knows I’d it is true.

If it’s his agent, it won’t matter because every team who was looking at him has had experts look very close at all his tests and likely retested him again. The experts will know the issues regardless of what a floated report says, only the fans will be forced to think everything is good because of it. 

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

If it’s his agent, it won’t matter because every team who was looking at him has had experts look very close at all his tests and likely retested him again. The experts will know the issues regardless of what a floated report says, only the fans will be forced to think everything is good because of it. 

But I wonder if those retests were merely independently studying the data that was collected by the Combine Doctors or if they actually remeasured the heart muscle.  I doubt that many teams feel like there would have been an error in how it was measured and would have little reason to measure it themselves.  JMO.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Lawsuit pending... :) 

Seriously, some of this stuff is eyebrow raising to me. There are laws protecting the privacy of medical data, but here everyone knows the thickness of the walls of Montez Sweat's heart? 

By the way, there are conflicting reports about what Sweat has (or doesn't have), versus what Hurst had/has, what Star Lotulelei had/has, what Nick Fairley had/has... etc. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But I wonder if those retests were merely independently studying the data that was collected by the Combine Doctors or if they actually remeasured the heart muscle.  I doubt that many teams feel like there would have been an error in how it was measured and would have little reason to measure it themselves.  JMO.

The report says the Texans doctor and other experts confirmed that the thickness of the walls of Sweat's heart are normal, not enlarged. That indicates to me that he's had it re-examined / measured since the combine, which makes sense. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A story out today says Montez Sweat got a 2nd opinion with the doctors of the Houston Texans.    And those doctors think the Combine doctors made a mistake.     The Texans doctors believe the Combine doctors mis-measured the thickness of the heart lining for Sweat.

They think the doctors accidentally included the lining of a 2nd muscle.   And the two muscles together measure out at 2 centimeters.

But the Texans doctors say when measuring only the one muscle correctly,  the measurement would be 1.5 centimeters.    And that's the proper amount.

If true,  and who knows how many NFL doctors have had a chance to go over the new findings,  this may change the calculous for when Sweat goes....

Here's the NFL.com story for you to check....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001027883/article/montez-sweat-possibly-misdiagnosed-with-heart-issue

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/pro-football-doc/story/2019-04-20/pro-football-doc-montez-sweat-heart-draft

There will always be some teams/doctors that stay away.  An others that say we can handle this.  Not unlike some character risk players.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/pro-football-doc/story/2019-04-20/pro-football-doc-montez-sweat-heart-draft

There will always be some teams/doctors that stay away.  An others that say we can handle this.  Not unlike some character risk players.

To be clear..  

I’m not saying Sweat won’t be drafted.  Only wondering how far that he will fall?

The other issue is....  does Sweat even gave an issue at all?   Or was this indeed a misdiagnosis?    Inquiring minds and all that...

Thanks for the link...