Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Hammonds

Annual MY GUYS List 2019

Recommended Posts

Every year I compile a list of MY GUYS - potential draftees that have a certain something that appeals to me, and I cross my fingers that my team drafts them in real life.  This year, my list will not include players that I think have zero chance at falling to us at the 26th pick.

 

Now, the list, in DraftTek ranking order! (And using the DraftTek rank number)

 

13. Byron Murphy, CB, Washington, 5-11, 182# - Great in coverage, good hands and eyes for interceptions, aggressive in run support

20. Christian Wilkins, D3T, Clemson, 6-3, 315# - Quick and agile, getting disruptive gap penetration, can get pushed around, lacks college sacks

21. A.J. Brown, WR, Mississippi, 6-1, 225# - The "other" WR from his school, a la Reggie Wayne, disciplined routes and great hands

30. Andre Dillard, OT, Washington St, 6-5, 315# - Great pass blocker, started all 39 games he played, needs some work in run blocking

34. Dexter Lawrence, D1T, Clemson, 6-4, 342# - A monster.  Zero pass rush, but takes on everything all at once, substance issue kept out of bowl game

36. Taylor Rapp, S, Washington, 6-0, 207# - Great open field tackler, a little weak in pure speed and ball hawking

41. Irv Smith, TE, Alabama, 6-2, 242# - Very good combination of route running and blocking, possible one year wonder

44. Dre'Mont Jones, D3T, Ohio St, 6-3, 281# - Explosive and productive in Bosa's absence, can lose leverage and be pushed around

50. Jerry Tillery, D3T, Notre Dame, 6-6, 295# - Quick, productive penetrator with "interesting" off field interests, inconsistent production

52. Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia, 5-10, 185# - Thorpe Award winner, 3 year starter, highly competitive, lacks size

54. Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple, 6-2, 190# - Aggressive and physical with "my ball" mentality, a bit raw with sometimes low full field awareness

66. Vosean Joseph, OLB, Florida, 6-1, 230# - Led team with 93 tackles and 5 passes broken up, almost too aggressive, can draw silly penalties

71. Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio St, 6-0, 208# - Lightning quick video game utility player, a matchup nightmare, lacks route discipline to start outside

74. Martez Ivy, OL, Florida, 6-5, 315# - 44 starts and both guard and tackle, great strength and aggression, had nagging injuries

77. Joe Jackson, DE, Miami, 6-4, 275# - 3 year team leader in either sacks, tackle for loss, or total stops, long arms, good upfield rush, not fastest

85. Michael Jordan, OG, Ohio St, 6-6, 312# - Unselfish run blocking mauler at both C and G, can be beaten by athletic D3T's

87. Darnell Savage Jr, DB, Maryland, 5-11, 191# - 4 year starter, explosively aggressive to the ball, team leader, inconsistent tackler

92. Julian Love, CB, Notre Dame, 5-11, 193# - team leader, great diagnostic player, high field awareness, lacks in size/speed

96. David Edwards, OT, Wisconsin, 6-6, 308# - high quality run blocking with good technique, shoulder injury at season's end drops his status

99. Terry McLaurin, WR, Ohio St, 6-1, 205# - hard working, highly coachable, fearless run blocker, willing to do dirty work

106. Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina, 5-11, 215# - sudden and quick, with great RAC ability, long road with many, many injuries

123. Amani Hooker, S, Iowa, 6-0, 210# - instinctive and aggressive to borderline recklessness, box safety in Bob Sanders image

125. Jaquan Johnson, Miami, 5-11, 190# - 252 total tackles at Miami with 8 INT's, short, fearless, and instinctive, not the fastest or biggest

131. Isaiah Prince, OT, Ohio St, 6-6, 308# - 3 year starter at RT, team leader, OL captain, still had mental lapses that allowed disastrous plays

146. Max Scharping, OL, Northern Illinois, 6-6, 327# - sound technique with limited experience vs top competition

249. Mark Fields, CB, Clemson, 5-11, 180# - did not start in Clemson's crowded secondary, good game vs 'Bama, had good combine

284. Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois, 6-0, 233# - diminutive small school dynamo with 29 sacks and 56 tackles for loss in 2 years

323. Derwin Gray, OT, Maryland, 6-4, 320# - massive mauler with off field story that makes you really root for this guy to succeed

 

Anyone else I should add to the list?  It seems thin for the later rounds, but nobody in my research just jumped off the page at me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Every year I compile a list of MY GUYS - potential draftees that have a certain something that appeals to me, and I cross my fingers that my team drafts them in real life.  This year, my list will not include players that I think have zero chance at falling to us at the 26th pick.

 

Now, the list, in DraftTek ranking order! (And using the DraftTek rank number)

 

13. Byron Murphy, CB, Washington, 5-11, 182# - Great in coverage, good hands and eyes for interceptions, aggressive in run support

20. Christian Wilkins, D3T, Clemson, 6-3, 315# - Quick and agile, getting disruptive gap penetration, can get pushed around, lacks college sacks

21. A.J. Brown, WR, Mississippi, 6-1, 225# - The "other" WR from his school, a la Reggie Wayne, disciplined routes and great hands

30. Andre Dillard, OT, Washington St, 6-5, 315# - Great pass blocker, started all 39 games he played, needs some work in run blocking

34. Dexter Lawrence, D1T, Clemson, 6-4, 342# - A monster.  Zero pass rush, but takes on everything all at once, substance issue kept out of bowl game

36. Taylor Rapp, S, Washington, 6-0, 207# - Great open field tackler, a little weak in pure speed and ball hawking

41. Irv Smith, TE, Alabama, 6-2, 242# - Very good combination of route running and blocking, possible one year wonder

44. Dre'Mont Jones, D3T, Ohio St, 6-3, 281# - Explosive and productive in Bosa's absence, can lose leverage and be pushed around

50. Jerry Tillery, D3T, Notre Dame, 6-6, 295# - Quick, productive penetrator with "interesting" off field interests, inconsistent production

52. Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia, 5-10, 185# - Thorpe Award winner, 3 year starter, highly competitive, lacks size

54. Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple, 6-2, 190# - Aggressive and physical with "my ball" mentality, a bit raw with sometimes low full field awareness

66. Vosean Joseph, OLB, Florida, 6-1, 230# - Led team with 93 tackles and 5 passes broken up, almost too aggressive, can draw silly penalties

71. Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio St, 6-0, 208# - Lightning quick video game utility player, a matchup nightmare, lacks route discipline to start outside

74. Martez Ivy, OL, Florida, 6-5, 315# - 44 starts and both guard and tackle, great strength and aggression, had nagging injuries

77. Joe Jackson, DE, Miami, 6-4, 275# - 3 year team leader in either sacks, tackle for loss, or total stops, long arms, good upfield rush, not fastest

85. Michael Jordan, OG, Ohio St, 6-6, 312# - Unselfish run blocking mauler at both C and G, can be beaten by athletic D3T's

87. Darnell Savage Jr, DB, Maryland, 5-11, 191# - 4 year starter, explosively aggressive to the ball, team leader, inconsistent tackler

92. Julian Love, CB, Notre Dame, 5-11, 193# - team leader, great diagnostic player, high field awareness, lacks in size/speed

96. David Edwards, OT, Wisconsin, 6-6, 308# - high quality run blocking with good technique, shoulder injury at season's end drops his status

99. Terry McLaurin, WR, Ohio St, 6-1, 205# - hard working, highly coachable, fearless run blocker, willing to do dirty work

106. Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina, 5-11, 215# - sudden and quick, with great RAC ability, long road with many, many injuries

123. Amani Hooker, S, Iowa, 6-0, 210# - instinctive and aggressive to borderline recklessness, box safety in Bob Sanders image

125. Jaquan Johnson, Miami, 5-11, 190# - 252 total tackles at Miami with 8 INT's, short, fearless, and instinctive, not the fastest or biggest

131. Isaiah Prince, OT, Ohio St, 6-6, 308# - 3 year starter at RT, team leader, OL captain, still had mental lapses that allowed disastrous plays

146. Max Scharping, OL, Northern Illinois, 6-6, 327# - sound technique with limited experience vs top competition

249. Mark Fields, CB, Clemson, 5-11, 180# - did not start in Clemson's crowded secondary, good game vs 'Bama, had good combine

284. Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois, 6-0, 233# - diminutive small school dynamo with 29 sacks and 56 tackles for loss in 2 years

323. Derwin Gray, OT, Maryland, 6-4, 320# - massive mauler with off field story that makes you really root for this guy to succeed

 

Anyone else I should add to the list?  It seems thin for the later rounds, but nobody in my research just jumped off the page at me.

Good list.  Add Bryce love? Not a need but if we get him late I will be stoked.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lotta nice pieces of love tonhave on that list. Very nice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Every year I compile a list of MY GUYS - potential draftees that have a certain something that appeals to me, and I cross my fingers that my team drafts them in real life.  This year, my list will not include players that I think have zero chance at falling to us at the 26th pick.

 

Now, the list, in DraftTek ranking order! (And using the DraftTek rank number)

 

13. Byron Murphy, CB, Washington, 5-11, 182# - Great in coverage, good hands and eyes for interceptions, aggressive in run support

20. Christian Wilkins, D3T, Clemson, 6-3, 315# - Quick and agile, getting disruptive gap penetration, can get pushed around, lacks college sacks

21. A.J. Brown, WR, Mississippi, 6-1, 225# - The "other" WR from his school, a la Reggie Wayne, disciplined routes and great hands

30. Andre Dillard, OT, Washington St, 6-5, 315# - Great pass blocker, started all 39 games he played, needs some work in run blocking

34. Dexter Lawrence, D1T, Clemson, 6-4, 342# - A monster.  Zero pass rush, but takes on everything all at once, substance issue kept out of bowl game

36. Taylor Rapp, S, Washington, 6-0, 207# - Great open field tackler, a little weak in pure speed and ball hawking

41. Irv Smith, TE, Alabama, 6-2, 242# - Very good combination of route running and blocking, possible one year wonder

44. Dre'Mont Jones, D3T, Ohio St, 6-3, 281# - Explosive and productive in Bosa's absence, can lose leverage and be pushed around

50. Jerry Tillery, D3T, Notre Dame, 6-6, 295# - Quick, productive penetrator with "interesting" off field interests, inconsistent production

52. Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia, 5-10, 185# - Thorpe Award winner, 3 year starter, highly competitive, lacks size

54. Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple, 6-2, 190# - Aggressive and physical with "my ball" mentality, a bit raw with sometimes low full field awareness

66. Vosean Joseph, OLB, Florida, 6-1, 230# - Led team with 93 tackles and 5 passes broken up, almost too aggressive, can draw silly penalties

71. Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio St, 6-0, 208# - Lightning quick video game utility player, a matchup nightmare, lacks route discipline to start outside

74. Martez Ivy, OL, Florida, 6-5, 315# - 44 starts and both guard and tackle, great strength and aggression, had nagging injuries

77. Joe Jackson, DE, Miami, 6-4, 275# - 3 year team leader in either sacks, tackle for loss, or total stops, long arms, good upfield rush, not fastest

85. Michael Jordan, OG, Ohio St, 6-6, 312# - Unselfish run blocking mauler at both C and G, can be beaten by athletic D3T's

87. Darnell Savage Jr, DB, Maryland, 5-11, 191# - 4 year starter, explosively aggressive to the ball, team leader, inconsistent tackler

92. Julian Love, CB, Notre Dame, 5-11, 193# - team leader, great diagnostic player, high field awareness, lacks in size/speed

96. David Edwards, OT, Wisconsin, 6-6, 308# - high quality run blocking with good technique, shoulder injury at season's end drops his status

99. Terry McLaurin, WR, Ohio St, 6-1, 205# - hard working, highly coachable, fearless run blocker, willing to do dirty work

106. Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina, 5-11, 215# - sudden and quick, with great RAC ability, long road with many, many injuries

123. Amani Hooker, S, Iowa, 6-0, 210# - instinctive and aggressive to borderline recklessness, box safety in Bob Sanders image

125. Jaquan Johnson, Miami, 5-11, 190# - 252 total tackles at Miami with 8 INT's, short, fearless, and instinctive, not the fastest or biggest

131. Isaiah Prince, OT, Ohio St, 6-6, 308# - 3 year starter at RT, team leader, OL captain, still had mental lapses that allowed disastrous plays

146. Max Scharping, OL, Northern Illinois, 6-6, 327# - sound technique with limited experience vs top competition

249. Mark Fields, CB, Clemson, 5-11, 180# - did not start in Clemson's crowded secondary, good game vs 'Bama, had good combine

284. Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois, 6-0, 233# - diminutive small school dynamo with 29 sacks and 56 tackles for loss in 2 years

323. Derwin Gray, OT, Maryland, 6-4, 320# - massive mauler with off field story that makes you really root for this guy to succeed

 

Anyone else I should add to the list?  It seems thin for the later rounds, but nobody in my research just jumped off the page at me.

 Gardner-Johnson S

 Amani Oruwariye CB

 Justin Layne CB

 Kris Boyd CB

 Khalen Saunders DT

 Renell Wren DT

Joe Gaziano DT

Hunter Renfrow Slot WR

 

https://www.colts.com/news/2019-colts-com-nfl-draft-positional-big-board

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how to define "my guys" but it seems that I'm higher than most on:

 

- Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame

- Ed Oliver, DT, Houston

- Hakeem Butler, WR, Iowa State

- Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama - yep, I would take him no. 1 in the draft, ahead of Bosa

- Andy Isabella. WR. UMass and Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State

- Rock Ya-Sin, CB,  Temple and Sean Bunting, CB, Central Michigan

- Juan Thornhill, S, Virginia

Foster Moreau, TE, LSU

- Bobby Okereke, LB, Stanford

- Gary Johnson, LB, Texas

- Joe Jackson, DE, Miami

- David Montgomery, RB, Iowa State

- James Williams, RB, Washington State

 

Might add more in the future. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are more my gang of sleepers, though the safeties aren't as sleepy as the rest. 

 

Isabella WR

Okereke LB

Wren DT

Saunders DT

Barnes RB

Hall WR

Gardner-Johnson S

Hooker S

Collier DT/Edge

Warring TE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stitches said:

I don't know how to define "my guys" but it seems that I'm higher than most on:

 

- Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame

- Ed Oliver, DT, Houston

- Hakeem Butler, WR, Iowa State

- Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama - yep, I would take him no. 1 in the draft, ahead of Bosa

- Andy Isabella. WR. UMass and Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State

- Rock Ya-Sin, CB,  Temple and Sean Bunting, CB, Central Michigan

- Juan Thornhill, S, Virginia

Foster Moreau, TE, LSU

- Bobby Okereke, LB, Stanford

- Gary Johnson, LB, Texas

- Joe Jackson, DE, Miami

- David Montgomery, RB, Iowa State

- James Williams, RB, Washington State

 

Might add more in the future. 

 

Thanks for the heads up on Bunting.  Interesting prospect.

 

I keep being drawn back to taking another look at Hakeem Butler over and over again.  He's not on the list -- yet!  Am combing through the hype.

 

Glad someone else has Joe Jackson on his list.  I'm thinking that if all of the premier edge rushers are gone by the time we hit pick 26 and 34, I can see us taking him in the 3rd round.  He's not flashy amazing, but he did have steady production at Miami.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Anyone else I should add to the list?  It seems thin for the later rounds, but nobody in my research just jumped off the page at me.

 

Gardner-Johnson S

Amani Oruwariye CB

Justin Layne CB
Andy Isabella WR
Jalen Jelks EDGE
Kendall Joseph ILB
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much appreciation to anyone who puts in this kind of work to look at these guys. Love seeing these posts and getting people’s perspectives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hark said:

Much appreciation to anyone who puts in this kind of work to look at these guys. Love seeing these posts and getting people’s perspectives.

Thanks so much, Hark.  Although, really, it's not all that difficult.  You look over and over at websites that review the players.  Watch youtube videos, trying to dissect true talent out of the "highlights" shown against weak opposition.  And, finally, the Lindy's Draft Guide gets published, and you read it cover to cover.  I've been doing this since 2000.  And no matter how much I learn from the process, my pics are often wrong.  Sometimes very, very wrong.  But it's still a moment of intense satisfaction when your team picks someone on your list.

 

History of MY GUYS picked by the Colts (both the good and the bad)

2000 1st rd - Rob Morris, ILB, BYU

2002 1st rd - Dwight Freeney, DE, Syracuse

2004 2nd rd - Bob Sanders, S, Iowa

2005 3rd rd - Vincent "Sweet Pea" Burns, DL, Kentucky

2007 3rd rd - Quinn Pitcock, DL, Ohio St

2007 5th rd - Clint Session, LB, Pitt

2008 3rd rd - Phillip Wheeler, LB, Georgia Tech

2009 2nd rd - Fili Moala, DT, USC

2010 2nd rd - Pat Angerer, LB, Iowa

2011 3rd rd - Drake Nevis, DT, LSU

2012 1st rd - Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

2012 2nd rd - Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford

2012 5th rd - Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama

2014 2nd rd - Jack Mewhort, G, Ohio St

2015 3rd rd - Henry Anderson, DE, Stanford

2015 5th rd - David Perry, NT, Stanford

2018 1st rd - Quentin Nelson, G, Notre Dame

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...