Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Desir Resign .. how about Geathers

dw49

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good post.     And I hope you know my use of the word "crazy" was NOT intended toward you.   But the talk of money has always brought out the most bizarre dollar figures....    way too low,  way too high...    too many years...    not enough years....    you name.     You and I are often trying to address those in various threads throughout the years.

As for Desir....    I'm not against signing him for less.    I just don't want to run the risk of losing him the way we did with Melvin.    The other two players...    here's what I don't know...   I don't know what the market was like...   other good FA Corners available?    other draft prospects?    So if we somehow lose Desir to another team,   then what?     Who replaces him?    And let's not kid ourselves,  what are our options?     Wilson?     Maybe.     You can't expect a rookie likely taken in the 3rd round or later to step in as a quality starter.   Not sure there's a FA corner that we could sign to fill that spot.    Desir may be the definition of "average"...   but right now, he's the best we got,  he plays our toughest opponent exceptionally well,  so it feels to me that he might have more leverage than one might imagine.

As for Geathers...   you and others make fair points about the market softening for safeties.   What we don't know is if that's going to be a 1-year aberation or will that hold?     And we don't know the medicals on Geathers.    Maybe the team will only be comfortable on a 1-year deal.   Maybe my $$ for him are too high?     Maybe.   But I noted I think Ballard is willing to lose CG if he's outbid...   but I think Ballard would like to bring him back if he can.    But at his price.

Good discussion.

The CB market isn't amazing, but there are some players that I like, a handful that I think are better than Desir. I wouldn't mind upgrading the position, if we could identify the right guy. Steven Nelson from KC is one. 

I'm also okay with keeping him, and I think he's the kind of guy that Ballard and staff would like to keep, and reward for a good season. Everyone keeps raving about the locker room, and I think it's important to keep good fits. 

But I also believe Ballard when he says they have a value on every player, and if that player, even a house free agent, wants significantly more than the staff thinks the player is worth to the team, they'll let him test the market. I don't see him as particularly hard to replace. 

The Geathers deal will come down to his medicals, I think. Same here, I'm fine with keeping him, but not making a commitment to him. 

21 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Agree...upgrade both spots...especially S. 

I think Ballard probably waits it out on at least one, if not both, of those players. We are talking about a 28 year-old CB coming off one good season and a decent young SS who has had neck injuries. See what their markets look like...and go from there. No reason to jump the gun unless they are willing to take very friendly deals.

It probably won't take long for whatever deal they want to do with him.   Remember Ballard let Desir go last year to test the market and there wasn't any market for him so we ended up resigning him.

7 hours ago, Superman said:

The CB market isn't amazing, but there are some players that I like, a handful that I think are better than Desir. I wouldn't mind upgrading the position, if we could identify the right guy. Steven Nelson from KC is one. 

I'm also okay with keeping him, and I think he's the kind of guy that Ballard and staff would like to keep, and reward for a good season. Everyone keeps raving about the locker room, and I think it's important to keep good fits. 

But I also believe Ballard when he says they have a value on every player, and if that player, even a house free agent, wants significantly more than the staff thinks the player is worth to the team, they'll let him test the market. I don't see him as particularly hard to replace. 

The Geathers deal will come down to his medicals, I think. Same here, I'm fine with keeping him, but not making a commitment to him. 

What's the take on Jalen Collins?

26 minutes ago, krunk said:

Jalen is our first reclamation project....if he has truly cleaned himself up then we essentially got a 1st/2nd round talent for free. Plus, his game tape shows those same abilities - on a Super Bowl team - and led the team in tackles against the Pats.

If/when they re-sign Desir then that gives them three 6'1"-6'2" boundary corners with long arms and ball skills. Plus whatever free agent or draft picks they bring in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I think the hope is that he follows in the steps of Glowinski. He was claimed on waivers in December 2017 in a similar way Collins was signed and stashed on practice squad this season. IMO they hope he will become a contributor if not starter next year. 

10 hours ago, Superman said:

The CB market isn't amazing, but there are some players that I like, a handful that I think are better than Desir. I wouldn't mind upgrading the position, if we could identify the right guy. Steven Nelson from KC is one

Steve Nelson would be a great albeit pricey pick...I could get behind an acquisition like this.  I also love Ballard to take a flyer on Bryce Callahan.  Mack got a lot of credit for that Bears defense this year and it was well deserved, but Callahan key component of that D as well 

6 minutes ago, Hoo-Hoo-Hoo-Hoosiers said:

Steve Nelson would be a great albeit pricey pick...I could get behind an acquisition like this.  I also love Ballard to take a flyer on Bryce Callahan.  Mack got a lot of credit for that Bears defense this year and it was well deserved, but Callahan key component of that D as well 

I think Callahan is a small 5'9", and Nelson is a big 5'11". But I do like Callahan.