Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BlueShoe's 2019 Post Senior Bowl Colts Mock Draft

The Colts officially have 8 picks in the 2019 NFL draft. However, according to OverTheCap the Colts are projected to receive a 4th round compensatory pick for losing Donte Moncrief in 2018. 

I think the Colts needs are EDGE, WR, CB, S, INT-DL, OL, and LB.

While the draft overall selections are not set in stone, if OverTheCap is correct on the comp picks then the Colts draft order should be relatively close to the following...

*Note - Remember that we also have to take out the Giants (3rd) and Washington (6th) forfeited picks they used in the 2018 supplemental draft.

1. 26
2. 34
2. 58
3. 89
4. 128
4. 135
5. 165
6. 200
7. 242

Chris Ballard has not minced his words. He told us long ago that building a team is all about the offensive line and the front seven. I believe he will  fortify the trenches early and often in every draft. This draft is front-loaded with EDGE and INT-DL prospects and value at those positions will certainly be there at #26.

With the Draft Bowl standouts freshly on our minds, I could envision the draft playing out something like this:

1. 26 - Christian Wilkins, INT-DL, Clemson
2. 34 - Nasir Adderley, S, Delaware
2. 58 - Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple
3. 89 - Hunter Renfrow, WR, Clemson
4. 128 - Jordan Brailford, EDGE, Oklahoma State
4. 135 - Lonnie Johnson, CB, Kentucky
5. 165 - Terrill Hanks, LB, New Mexico State
6. 200 - Chuma Edoga, OT, USC
7. 242 - Justin Hollins, LB, Oregon

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

The Colts officially have 8 picks in the 2019 NFL draft. However, according to OverTheCap the Colts are projected to receive a 4th round compensatory pick for losing Donte Moncrief in 2018. 

While the draft overall selections are not set in stone, if OverTheCap is correct on the comp picks then the Colts draft order should be relatively close to the following...

*Note - Remember that we also have to take out the Giants (3rd) and Washington (6th) forfeited picks they used in the 2018 supplemental draft.

1. 26
2. 34
2. 58
3. 89
4. 128
4. 135
5. 165
6. 200
7. 242

Chris Ballard has not minced his words. He told us long ago that building a team is all about the offensive line and the front seven. I believe he will  fortify the trenches early and often in every draft. This draft is front-loaded with EDGE and INT-DL prospects and value at those positions will certainly be there at #26.

With the Draft Bowl standouts freshly on our minds, I could envision the draft playing out something like this:

I'd be all for drafting Wilkins there, if he falls that far. Really any DT or edge that has elite potential (Wilkins, Lawrence, Sweat, Polite, Dre'Mont). Like Adderley, and think he will only get better after he fully adapts to playing S, and the various nuances that come with it. Not sure about Ya-Sin, may be a bit of a reach (my opinion) in the 2nd. I'd rather take Murphy, Baker, or Oruwariye with the first 2nd rounder, and go BPA at S, LB, DT, OL with the other. Good stuff man, thanks. 

32 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

The 3rd is too high for Renfrow...

Our 4th round picks are approximately 128 and 135.

You think Hunter Renfrow will still be there at 128? Wanna bet? :D 

Hell, at this point I think Isabella is going in the second round, and might be long gone by the time we pick at 89. That's why he is not in my mock.

Anything can happen, but I do not believe in absolute predictions with the NFL draft. For us draft geeks, it is an exercise of understanding future NFL players. A prospect currently ranked on the Colts board at 500 could be drafted by another team at 35 overall. There are 32 different boards that matter and it only takes one team to fall in love with a player. 

A 3rd is NOT too high for Renfrow. Hell, it is not even out of the question for him to go in the second round. 

9 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Hell, at this point I think Isabella is going in the second round, and might be long gone by the time we pick at 89. That's why he is not in my mock.

I can see Isabella being taken in the 2nd round. However, I'd be pretty surprised if Renfrow came off the board before the 4th round. I think Renfrow is more Griff Whalen than Julian Edelman. I'm a Renfrow fan and hope for the best for him but I'm betting against him being a high pick in the draft. If he comes out and runs a 4.3 maybe I'll change my tune a bit but his frame is my biggest concern. Sure, Isabella is only ten pounds heavier but his frame is rock solid and he can fly.

4 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I can see Isabella being taken in the 2nd round. However, I'd be pretty surprised if Renfrow came off the board before the 4th round. I think Renfrow is more Griff Whalen than Julian Edelman. I'm a Renfrow fan and hope for the best for him but I'm betting against him being a high pick in the draft. If he comes out and runs a 4.3 maybe I'll change my tune a bit but his frame is my biggest concern. Sure, Isabella is only ten pounds heavier but his frame is rock solid and he can fly.

You guys do realize that our 3rd round pick is almost a 4th this year, right? :D 

We are not picking in the top of the draft anymore. 

39 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I love the Christian Wilkins pick, but in my opinion the rest of the picks are reaches.

We need to come out with a better WR than Rentfrow in the top 3 rounds. 

I'm not sure about reaches beyond round 1, because there are some very good players in this mock. But I totally agree that the Colts can and should do better than Renfrow. They HAVE to invest in the WR position. The Ballard regime has done nothing, and under Grigson, with the exception of TY, it was a major fail. I really like Renfrow, don't get me wrong. But they need a different kind of player, a bigger WR with speed. That guy can be had with one of their first two picks, and I hope they go there if the opportunity presents itself. 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

Anything can happen, but I do not believe in absolute predictions with the NFL draft. For us draft geeks, it is an exercise of understanding future NFL players. A prospect currently ranked on the Colts board at 500 could be drafted by another team at 35 overall. There are 32 different boards that matter and it only takes one team to fall in love with a player. 

A 3rd is NOT too high for Renfrow. Hell, it is not even out of the question for him to go in the second round. 

Maybe, I just don't see anything special about Renfrow at all.

3 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I think it is absolutely out of the question for him to go in the 2nd round. Probably 3rd round as well. This isn't Cooper Kupp or Keke Coutee we are talking about.

No team is drafting a small slot WR type with his mediocre college production that early....especially in this draft class.

Renfrow had two good games against Bama back when he was a freshman and sophomore. That's basically it. I think NFL scouts are going to ask to why his game (and production) never took another step as he got to his junior and college seasons.

Guys with similar comps like Braxton Berrios and Austin Proehl were 6th and 7th round picks last year...and that was in a weaker draft class at WR. And don't forget that Berrios was getting much of the same praise from Senior Bowl practices this time last year.

Renfrow will likely get drafted...but it is going to be a flyer type pick.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

I think it is absolutely out of the question for him to go in the 2nd round. Probably 3rd round as well. This isn't Cooper Kupp or Keke Coutee we are talking about.

No team is drafting a small slot WR type with his mediocre college production that early....especially in this draft class.

Renfrow had two good games against Bama back when he was a freshman and sophomore. That's basically it. I think NFL scouts are going to ask to why his game (and production) never took another step as he got to his junior and college seasons.

Guys with similar comps like Braxton Berrios and Austin Proehl were 6th and 7th round picks last year...and that was in a weaker draft class at WR. And don't forget that Berrios was getting much of the same praise from Senior Bowl practices this time last year.

Renfrow will likely get drafted...but it is going to be a flyer type pick.

I will save the link to your post and remember to reply to it after the draft. 

5 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I love the Christian Wilkins pick, but in my opinion the rest of the picks are reaches.

We need to come out with a better WR than Rentfrow in the top 3 rounds. 

I’d like to see your board. It’s amazing that you would call any of these picks reaches. I actually expected for most people to say that these players wouldn’t be there. 

While this is all opinion based, it would be nice to see your board, to back your opinion up. 

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Renfrow on Day Two? That would be some kind of WR run.

Not really. 

I currently have Renfrow as my 11th ranked receiver and I have 10 ranked in the top 2 rounds. And that is not out if the norm as last year 8 receivers were taken in the first 2 rounds and 33 receivers were taken overall. 

4 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Maybe, I just don't see anything special about Renfrow at all.

And that’s fine. I have no issue with someone having their own opinion. I welcome that. It’s when people talk in absolutes about the draft... That’s when things get absurd. The idea of someone guaranteeing when a player will be chosen is ludicrous. There are way too many factors at play to know for sure. 

Every year. Let me repeat that. EVERY YEAR, someone gets drafted in the first round that most draft pundits had mocked in the 3rd or later. And EVERY YEAR someone who was mocked in the first 2 days goes undrafted. 

We can have ideas, opinions, educated guesses, and we can THINK we know, but we don’t. Not until the draft is final. If we hit on half the players we like then we are doing better than the best GMs who have ever worked a draft room.

Them’s the facts. :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I'd be willing to bet you my only begotten soul that Renfrow doesn't go in rounds 2 or 3. There's only 3-4 that deserve to go in the first 2 rounds, imo. Renfrow is a watered down version of Isabella, and most mocks have him in the 5th or so. 

Your opinion is on record. 

Keep in mind that 8 receivers went in the first 2 rounds last year. In 2017 there were 14 receivers taken in the first 3 rounds. 

So history is not on your side. 

I really like Renfrow. He runs routes better than anyone and has great hands to make up for his measurables. Clemson had a saying "3rd and Renfrow" meaning if you need a play on 3rd down give it to Renfrow. 

He reminds in that sense of Edelman. I think if Renfrow was 5 inches taller he'd be

a 1st rd. I'd be willing to take him in the 3rd.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

And that’s fine. I have no issue with someone having their own opinion. I welcome that. It’s when people talk in absolutes about the draft... That’s when things get absurd. The idea of someone guaranteeing when a player will be chosen is ludicrous. There are way too many factors at play to know for sure. 

Every year. Let me repeat that. EVERY YEAR, someone gets drafted in the first round that most draft pundits had mocked in the 3rd or later. And EVERY YEAR someone who was mocked in the first 2 days goes undrafted. 

We can have ideas, opinions, educated guesses, and we can THINK we know, but we don’t. Not until the draft is final. If we hit on half the players we like then we are doing better than the best GMs who have ever worked a draft room.

Them’s the facts. :) 

Me saying he won't be picked that early and you saying he won't be there in the 4th round are kind of both absolutes, no? 

If we are looking at recent history...I would have to say it's actually not on your side. There is no recent precedent for a WR like Renfrow being picked that early. A smaller slot WR without any elite aspects (who offers little in the vertical game and isn't a big play threat)...but can catch the ball. The last part is definitely important...and I think that gets him drafted...but more in the later round lower upside safe pick mold. 

But that's my opinion. 

22 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Me saying he won't be picked that early and you saying he won't be there in the 4th round are kind of both absolutes, no? 

If we are looking at recent history...I would have to say it's actually not on your side. There is no recent precedent for a WR like Renfrow being picked that early. A smaller slot WR without any elite aspects (who offers little in the vertical game and isn't a big play threat)...but can catch the ball. The last part is definitely important...and I think that gets him drafted...but more in the later round lower upside safe pick mold. 

But that's my opinion. 

First of all, I made it real clear that my thoughts were my opinion and not absolutes. I couldn’t have been any clearer about that.

On the other hand, these are your words:

”I think it is absolutely out of the question for him to go in the 2nd round. Probably 3rd round as well.”

The contexts in our posts are not even close. 

And history is on my side. Look it up. 

I have been doing mock drafts for 30 years and have developed a vast knowledge of the process. Draft season is a huge deal to me. I am not just throwing darts at a board to pick players. There is a lot of work that goes into my process. The 2019 draft season started for me before the 2018 draft ended.

So trust me when I say that almost anything can happen from now until the draft. And most likely when it does happen, then I’ve seen it before. The NFL is not about absolutes and only fools guarantee something will happen.

Hunter Renfrow could go anywhere from a late second to undrafted. However, he will most likely go late in round 3 or early in round 4. The Colts will have 2 late 4th round picks, so if they want him then they’d most likely have to take him with the late 3rd round pick or move some other picks around. 

7 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I think the difference is showing up on someone's mock to say 'Player X won't be there' or 'that's too high to take Player Z, he's a late rounder,' or whatever. As if any of us actually knows where players will be drafted, especially these mid round guys. 

It's a wasted discussion, and a lot of the time, that's a poster's only contribution to a mock draft thread. Speaking for myself, it gets grating, and it makes the OP defensive, even with posters who actually did contribute something more than just the typical 'you're wrong to mock that player in that wrong' criticism.

It's all a mock. Getting in the weeds about whether a guy is going to be drafted late the third or early in the fifth is like arguing about the weather on a fictional island two months from now. At least BlueShoe puts together a big board that legitimizes his mocks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah Renfrow is a major reach. He doesn’t have 3rd round talent. He’s not the 2nd coming of Cooper Kupp. This is a classic case of over-valuing a limited player.

Cooper Kupp was also undervalued. Many had him as a late Day 3 pick and he went earlier than a lot of people thought. He went right about where I thought he would. I actually mocked him a couple of times to us last year in the 4th round because I thought he was great value there. 

55 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah Renfrow is a major reach. He doesn’t have 3rd round talent. He’s not the 2nd coming of Cooper Kupp. This is a classic case of over-valuing a limited player.

I think Andy Isabella is the second coming of Cooper Kupp, IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

1. 26
2. 34
2. 58
3. 89
4. 128
4. 135
5. 165
6. 200
7. 242

Thanks for taking the time to come up with this mock. While I am enamored with Rock Ya-Sin's talent, I do feel that our defensive system devalues CBs a bit, and values safeties more. I do feel that No.58 could be the place for a high impact wide out that can play outside and inside, that would be the only thing I would change with your mock. Otherwise, it is well thought out.

Of course, FA changes everything. :)  I'd even go ahead and say we will be signing a DL or two in free agency that will make an impact. 

• Thanks 1

I would be pretty happy if our draft was close to your mock.

Wilkins and the rest of the DL guys are going to be impacted a lot by the combine and pro-day numbers like it's common with DL/EDGE. He could got top 15 or we may have the chance to get him. Would be another "boring" pick after nelson this year but probably will be smartest choice.

I really like Adderly as a player(i think he has late first potential) but the safety position has been flooded with good and skilled players. The S free-agency is most likely going to be most talented out of all the positions and the draft also will bring multiple good ones. The drop-off between adderley and a safety in the third(f.e. abram from miss. state) or a good free-agent( who will not be that expensive relative to other positions) makes me dislike picking a S top of the second.

I agrre with most of the other people hear that ya-sin is  a bit early in the second.

Now Renfrow, i think, is a really nice scheme fit in our passing game. He has good reaction time during the snap of the ball. He does a little dip of the shoulder which surprisingly gets him off press cov. quite often( or forced some holds by cbs). He runs all of the short and intermediate routes well. He also understands how much fakes you should put in a route so that you don't make your QB wait a quarter second longer than it's needed( really not a fan of Thielen because he wastes so much time doing dumb fakes in his routes). And although he has tiny hands he catches everything especially on third-down.

That makes him a great fit in franks quick hit offense and with a qb like luck who does lots of 3rd down magic renfrow might be the white tiger for lucks siegfried&roy. 

The pats who run a similar passing scheme are also sitting close behind us and i think they also have their eyes on him so 3rd round might be spot we have to get him.

Brailford had a nice senior bowl and might rise higher than that after combine or pro-day but if we get him he has that motor that i love in d-line guys.

The rest of the picks might go a round or 2 earlier but who the # knows where players go on day 3. It's total needle and hay at that point.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think the difference is showing up on someone's mock to say 'Player X won't be there' or 'that's too high to take Player Z, he's a late rounder,' or whatever. As if any of us actually knows where players will be drafted, especially these mid round guys. 

It's a wasted discussion, and a lot of the time, that's a poster's only contribution to a mock draft thread. Speaking for myself, it gets grating, and it makes the OP defensive, even with posters who actually did contribute something more than just the typical 'you're wrong to mock that player in that wrong' criticism.

It's all a mock. Getting in the weeds about whether a guy is going to be drafted late the third or early in the fifth is like arguing about the weather on a fictional island two months from now. At least BlueShoe puts together a big board that legitimizes his mocks.

Seems a bit sensitive to me to get bent out of shape over someone disagreeing with where you essentially have someone ranked...which all I have done.

How are we supposed to comment on mock drafts exactly? You can like/dislike players and like/dislike where players are picked/valued. That's really it. Of course we are all guessing...but I don't think the people that actually post their big boards have a monopoly on opinions toward where guys are picked.

Besides, by the time I showed up to this thread, BlueShoe was already in that discussion. I just disagreed with his statements and stated why.

29 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think Andy Isabella is the second coming of Cooper Kupp, IMO. 

27 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I agree sir! :) 

This helps me confirm what my eyes are seeing. Me, you, and Superman are all seeing the special traits this kid has. 

I don't see Cooper Kupp, though. Different profile, different traits. Isabella is definitely faster, Kupp got off press coverage better and is a more physical player and better blocker (for obvious reasons).

Isabella's speed, quickness and toughness are special, though.

Just now, Superman said:

I don't see Cooper Kupp, though. Different profile, different traits. Isabella is definitely faster, Kupp got off press coverage better and is a more physical player and better blocker (for obvious reasons).

Isabella's speed, quickness and toughness are special, though.

My comp for Isabella is Wayne Chrebet. 

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Seems a bit sensitive to me to get bent out of shape over someone disagreeing with where you essentially have someone ranked...which all I have done.

How are we supposed to comment on mock drafts exactly? You can like/dislike players and like/dislike where players are picked/valued. That's really it. Of course we are all guessing...but I don't think the people that actually post their big boards have a monopoly on opinions toward where guys are picked.

Besides, by the time I showed up to this thread, BlueShoe was already in that discussion. I just disagreed with his statements and stated why.

I'm just saying I understand why people who post mocks get irritated with half of the comments being 'your projection on where this player is getting drafted is wrong,' because none of us know. And in BlueShoe's case, he's at least thought it through, whereas others kind of just say 'he's a third rounder, you're wrong.' 

I'd rather discuss how a mock affects the Colts roster, how a player fits in, etc. And if I'm saying we should take Christian Wilkins in the 4th round, call me on it, but we don't know when Hunter Renfrow is gonna get drafted. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

My comp for Isabella is Wayne Chrebet. 

I see some special speed in Isabella. If he tests like he says he will, he'll have something Chrebet didn't have.

But it's weird because there are certain plays where his speed seems ordinary. Seems to have a serious 6th gear to him.

16 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

This is so true. I wish all of the GMs had to turn in their Big Boards after the draft. It would be awesome to see how different each front office views prospects. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I agree sir! :) 

This helps me confirm what my eyes are seeing. Me, you, and Superman are all seeing the special traits this kid has. 

I think most people think Isabella is a pretty special player. 

8 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

First of all, I made it real clear that my thoughts were my opinion and not absolutes. I couldn’t have been any clearer about that.

On the other hand, these are your words:

”I think it is absolutely out of the question for him to go in the 2nd round. Probably 3rd round as well.”

The contexts in our posts are not even close. 

And history is on my side. Look it up. 

I have been doing mock drafts for 30 years and have developed a vast knowledge of the process. Draft season is a huge deal to me. I am not just throwing darts at a board to pick players. There is a lot of work that goes into my process. The 2019 draft season started for me before the 2018 draft ended.

So trust me when I say that almost anything can happen from now until the draft. And most likely when it does happen, then I’ve seen it before. The NFL is not about absolutes and only fools guarantee something will happen.

Hunter Renfrow could go anywhere from a late second to undrafted. However, he will most likely go late in round 3 or early in round 4. The Colts will have 2 late 4th round picks, so if they want him then they’d most likely have to take him with the late 3rd round pick or move some other picks around. 

"I think" also makes it pretty clear that I was stating an opinion. Up further you are so sure of yours that you are betting some guy. I don't see a huge difference.

AndI am not sure what history is on your side. Edelman and Welker have been a thing in the NFL a long time. And plenty of team have tried to replicate their success...but none of them have used a Day Two pick to do it (let alone a 2nd round pick...which is where my main disagreement has always been). I guess you could make a weak argument that the LAR did when they drafted Kupp...but Kupp had elite production...best in college football.

Ryan Switzer is probably a better example. I think he was actually a better college and a bit more productive WR than Renfrow...and even he was a late 4th round pick. Add that to the other examples of similar types (that I already listed) that went late in the draft...and that is the history that I am using.

In a draft class full of trait WRs (most of whom who have far better college production)...I just don't think Renfrow has much chance to go that early (especially the 2nd round)...barring some crazy WR run. But fine...anything can happen.

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Ryan Switzer is probably a better example. I think he was actually a better college and a bit more productive WR than Renfrow...and even he was a late 4th round pick.

Good comp.

9 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

This is so true. I wish all of the GMs had to turn in their Big Boards after the draft. It would be awesome to see how different each front office views prospects. 

Pffft. That would be the holy grail.

• Like 1