Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Maybe Cutting Manning Is A Good Thing For Colts Fans....

Mouthfire

It's not a big secret: the Colts have struggled for much of Peyton's career to surround him with a championship-caliber defense. And more lately, they've been unable to to protect him with an adequate offensive line and a decent run game.

More and more with time, this team had turned into one that depended entirely on Manning to win... much to their downfall, in my opinion. Maybe it's a good thing that's he's left. I've always wondered how Peyton would fare with a Baltimore level defense.... now we get the chance to find out.

Personally, the silver lining to me is that we get two teams to root for next year: Manning's eventual team as he searches for his 2nd championship, and the Colts, as they grow and build their way to future success.

Go Colts!!!

Our recent history has led us to believe we didn't have the talent around Peyton to win. But then I take a trip down memory lane, then go look up Colts rosters from 2003, 2004, and 2005 and wonder how we didn't win even more? Then I also remember Belichik, Brady, and the Pats. {Sigh}

We could, and did surround Peyton with help, from my perspective. Sometimes, other teams do the same thing. Recently, though, we have truly slipped year by year until it became painfully obvious. It was time to clean house, and retool. Keeping a few key pieces would be nice. I would like some elder statesmen from our winning Colts ways and days to be demonstrated, and the winning attitude we had to be instilled in the youth of the team until it is achieved.

I wish all the best for Peyton and hope we get to see many of his games this season. However, I must say that I'm not convinced of the extent of his recovery at this point or the certainty that he will regain what he had the final season he could play. There was an element of gambling if we were to have paid the bonus and retained him and it seems that the current suitors are largely ignoring that.

I would kind of like to see him play in the NFC, so that we would be unlikely to play against him before he's done. He was our greatest player ever, but head-to-head he'll be the enemy.

Our recent history has led us to believe we didn't have the talent around Peyton to win. But then I take a trip down memory lane, then go look up Colts rosters from 2003, 2004, and 2005 and wonder how we didn't win even more? Then I also remember Belichik, Brady, and the Pats. {Sigh}

We could, and did surround Peyton with help, from my perspective. Sometimes, other teams do the same thing. Recently, though, we have truly slipped year by year until it became painfully obvious. It was time to clean house, and retool. Keeping a few key pieces would be nice. I would like some elder statesmen from our winning Colts ways and days to be demonstrated, and the winning attitude we had to be instilled in the youth of the team until it is achieved.

Those earlier teams you mentioned were amazing from the offensive standpoint. The defense in that period was subpar, and the offense sputtered in the post season. Polian and Dungy failed to capitolize on what they had during that time frame - as did the players. Didn't Irsay make a comment early in Manning's career about winning 3 or 4 super bowls? I believe it was possible, but we failed to sieze the opportunity. Of course our best opportunity was thwarted largely by the death of Dungy's son - not much you can say about that.

Those earlier teams you mentioned were amazing from the offensive standpoint. The defense in that period was subpar, and the offense sputtered in the post season. Polian and Dungy failed to capitolize on what they had during that time frame - as did the players. Didn't Irsay make a comment early in Manning's career about winning 3 or 4 super bowls? I believe it was possible, but we failed to sieze the opportunity. Of course our best opportunity was thwarted largely by the death of Dungy's son - not much you can say about that.

Maybe one day Luck can have those 3-4 super bowls. The next generation may reap the seeds of the first.

I think with Dungy coaching we win it all in 2009. Also we had plenty of chances especially in 2005 when we lost to Pittsburg...that was a bad bad loss. That was easily our year to win it all. A couple of those games against New England one where Peyton throws 4 ints that was all on him the other he played good enough to win but the rest of the team didn't. That is how it goes but certainly if Peyton has some extra help now he will have his shot to win it all. I believe he may go to Denver. The AFC east is very good and will be hard for him to win going against the Patriots and Jets. No matter where he goes he is going to have it difficult. All the teams he is looking at have weaknesses. The only sure fire team that would be plausible but not being mentioned much is Houston.

It's not a big secret: the Colts have struggled for much of Peyton's career to surround him with a championship-caliber defense. And more lately, they've been unable to to protect him with an adequate offensive line and a decent run game.

More and more with time, this team had turned into one that depended entirely on Manning to win... much to their downfall, in my opinion. Maybe it's a good thing that's he's left. I've always wondered how Peyton would fare with a Baltimore level defense.... now we get the chance to find out.

Personally, the silver lining to me is that we get two teams to root for next year: Manning's eventual team as he searches for his 2nd championship, and the Colts, as they grow and build their way to future success.

Go Colts!!!

I believe the term for this is "tough love" and it is going to be tough to love the Colts until the new crew gels and starts getting the wins.

There was an element of gambling if we were to have paid the bonus and retained him and it seems that the current suitors are largely ignoring that.

I don't think suitor teams will ignore that risk. Before they pay him any large amount of money, they will do their due diligence, or subject him to pass their team medical. To sign him up and become obligated to pay large amounts of money to Peyton, just because he is Peyton, would be cause for immediate losing of ones job.

Exactly my thoughts. One thing that has not really been discussed lately, is the role of Bill Polian. As much as the Colts owe Polian a ton for helping revive the organization, he had a recurring theme that led back all the way to the Buffalo years: being able to collect a amount of tremendous offensive firepower, that almost always fell short of a championship ring. Of course, I wasn't watching the Bills (or the Panthers) way back then, but I can only surmise that it was b/c of imbalances and weaknesses elsewhere on the team, namely the defense.

Coaching for all the marbles is where we have consistently fallen short, IMO.

Bend but dont break will bend and break against elite Os, it is good enough to get you to the playoffs but not good enough to get the ball back when you really need to, IMO. Need to get some contributions from ST consistently in field position and coverage returns.

Hopefully the improvement in coaching is complemented with an equally improved talent evaluation resulting in a talented roster in a couple of years that helps us challenge for the division first which has the Texans above us right now.

Coaching for all the marbles is where we have consistently fallen short, IMO.

Bend but dont break will bend and break against elite Os, it is good enough to get you to the playoffs but not good enough to get the ball back when you really need to, IMO. Need to get some contributions from ST consistently in field position and coverage returns.

Hopefully the improvement in coaching is complemented with an equally improved talent evaluation resulting in a talented roster in a couple of years that helps us challenge for the division first which has the Texans above us right now.

I never understood that thinking. If it will bend at the 50 its going to bend at the 10 also.

Exactly my thoughts. One thing that has not really been discussed lately, is the role of Bill Polian. As much as the Colts owe Polian a ton for helping revive the organization, he had a recurring theme that led back all the way to the Buffalo years: being able to collect a amount of tremendous offensive firepower, that almost always fell short of a championship ring. Of course, I wasn't watching the Bills (or the Panthers) way back then, but I can only surmise that it was b/c of imbalances and weaknesses elsewhere on the team, namely the defense.

Well I wouldn’t say that it hasn’t been discussed. I know I have voiced my opinion (right or wrong) with more than just a little passion. I think that one majior problem was that Polian got caught up in the fact that early on he hit on a couple of diamonds in the rough and after that happened he thought he could do it all the time and would refuse to learn from the fact that he couldn’t

If the defense was subpar then what has it been the last 2 years? From 2003-2005 had Freeney, David Thornton, Marcus Washington, Monte Reagor, Raheem Brock, Robert Mathis, Cato June, Gary Bracket, Nick Harper, Bob Sanders, Mike Doss, Scrappy (Jason David), Marlin Jackson, Kelvin Hayden... When someone moved on it was next man up. They were solid, if not spectacular. And 2005 was the culmination. Our offense then was also heads and shoulders above most others. In time, as our offense slowly retracted, the scoring against our D went down too. 2005 scoring D we were #2. SB year- Scoring D was #23, but stepped in in post season. 2007- #1 in the league. 2008- #7, 2009- #8. That is solid D support for a 'finesse offensive minded' team. (I go by scoring, not yards as our Tampa Two designed to make a team drive slow down field in hopes of them making a mistake or creating a turnover, not preventing yards between the twenty's). The last two years scoring D? 2010- #23, last year, #28!

Our O had chances to salt away games and failed sometimes as well. Anyone remember the whiff block by G. Robinson for example? We had the best regular season win record in the decade. It was our post season where we failed to live up to expectations. I am hoping we do slant the balance scales just a touch more toward the D this time, but we shouldn't deprive Luck of a few weapons either.

If the defense was subpar then what has it been the last 2 years? From 2003-2005 had Freeney, David Thornton, Marcus Washington, Monte Reagor, Raheem Brock, Robert Mathis, Cato June, Gary Bracket, Nick Harper, Bob Sanders, Mike Doss, Scrappy (Jason David), Marlin Jackson, Kelvin Hayden... When someone moved on it was next man up. They were solid, if not spectacular. And 2005 was the culmination. Our offense then was also heads and shoulders above most others. In time, as our offense slowly retracted, the scoring against our D went down too. 2005 scoring D we were #2. SB year- Scoring D was #23, but stepped in in post season. 2007- #1 in the league. 2008- #7, 2009- #8. That is solid D support for a 'finesse offensive minded' team. (I go by scoring, not yards as our Tampa Two designed to make a team drive slow down field in hopes of them making a mistake or creating a turnover, not preventing yards between the twenty's). The last two years scoring D? 2010- #23, last year, #28!

Our O had chances to salt away games and failed sometimes as well. Anyone remember the whiff block by G. Robinson for example? We had the best regular season win record in the decade. It was our post season where we failed to live up to expectations. I am hoping we do slant the balance scales just a touch more toward the D this time, but we shouldn't deprive Luck of a few weapons either.

2005 was DEFINATELY our best TEAM ever. How we blew the Pittsburg game I will never know. We wouldn't have had to play NE that year and Seattle was EASILY the weakest NFC Super Bowl team in the past decade. That was a HUGE missed opportunity...but at least we were there.

Go Colts!!!

I would rather build a team around one guy than lose......

//the formula doesnt matter....

...we have to win some games and right now, we dont have very many players

Its better for us and Peyton, i think Irsay did see what you are talking about, we did depend to much on one player to succeed, i believe that is what sparked this whole situation, Irsay now has to pick up the pieces and rebuild this "team" to make a true team......with everyone contributing to our overall success. Bring us back to the glory land Irsay!

Its better for us and Peyton, i think Irsay did see what you are talking about, we did depend to much on one player to succeed, i believe that is what sparked this whole situation, Irsay now has to pick up the pieces and rebuild this "team" to make a true team......with everyone contributing to our overall success. Bring us back to the glory land Irsay!

I dont care if we are a true team or a one man team as long as we are a playoff team..

I agree, but that is hard to acheive when you depend on your QB to run the whole team.....why do we only have one championship? Because peyton never had protection, our D suffered, we never had a running game. if we had all those pieces in place who knows what could have been..

I dont care if we are a true team or a one man team as long as we are a playoff team..

I would agree with you, except it gives you less room for error.

I would much rather have an overall balanced team, so that if the other team focused on taking away one strength (as teams often did with Peyton), you'd have other aspects of your team that you can lean on.