Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Turay

RockThatBlue

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Depends on where we pick. If we pick at No. 15, and Ballard feels Jeffrey Simmons checks all the boxes, I wouldn’t mind him at all if he drops. It will be controversial for a first rounder, and people expect a drop like Joe Mixon but I’m not so sure. He needs a big junior year for teams to make it worth the risk.

But there are other options in this deep DL draft. If not Simmons, I love Raekwon Davis of Alabama for the interior for the 3-tech.

I'd add Dre'Mont Jones to that list as well.

6 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I'd add Dre'Mont Jones to that list as well.

The list is deep. Yes, I agree about Dre'Mont Jones. If Margus Hunt's long arms have been used very well on the interior by the current D, Raekwon Davis' arms will give him an advantage in the current scheme played by the Colts. 

In the past, guys will long arms like him would be considered for 5-technique but he will make a very good 3-technique, IMO, Raekwon Davis that is. He can line up in multiple fronts and still be effective.

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Depends on where we pick. If we pick at No. 15, and Ballard feels Jeffrey Simmons checks all the boxes, I wouldn’t mind him at all if he drops. It will be controversial for a first rounder, and people expect a drop like Joe Mixon but I’m not so sure.

Yeah, he would be controversial.

19 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I've been on the Turay bandwagon all season. I think he has outperformed expectations so far. The natural burst and bend he has is excellent and he's finally starting to string some counter moves together. Another year of strength training and refining his technique and he could be a very very good edge rusher.

Kinda nice have Coach Mathis teaching these young guys, looks like they are absorbing it well

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dw49 said:

The above is all mostly true but no one mentions that the game is changing a bit.  The only way you beat offenses that are Tom Brady like is  push up the middle. So I think you are going to see a huge premium on guys that can do that.

I think that is where big HUNT made his statement this year, pushing into the backfield and forcing adjustments. This is the HUNT i wanted to see last year so bad

7 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

It will be good when we start expecting Turay to make a big 3rd down play. 

Even better when the QB starts expecting it. How many bad throws did Freeney and Mathis induce just on reputation?  I remember the time Brady hit the deck on 3rd down when they were nowhere near him.    

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

His play impressing anyone else as well? Seems like you hear his name a little bit more each game.

I’ve said his name a lot and have really liked this kid since we got him and seen his tape. After seeing his performance and motor in real live games, I love this guy. I’ve said he is our Mathis of the future and possibly better, that’s saying a lot. If I were a fan who bought player jerseys, I’d get one of his for sure. He is quickly becoming my favorite player on the team and second is Leonard. Once we get the backfield shored up with better cb’s, we are going to be a tough team to play. I’m hoping Turay can pick up 6-8 sacks this year. 

22 hours ago, dgambill said:

Since game 1 I've said he reminds me of a young Robert Mathis. He is a bit smaller/lean but his motor never stops and he is very quick off the edge. If he can develop a counter move to his speed edge rush (spin or slap/dip inside) he could be a great pass rusher. I'm very pleased with him....so far our draft imo has been a home run....hopefully they all keep working out.

Is he smaller than what Mathis was coming in? I thought Turay looks bigger than Mathis was. Hard to recall them both since Mathis hasn’t played in a few. I love the play of this guy though for sure. 

10 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Is he smaller than what Mathis was coming in? I thought Turay looks bigger than Mathis was. Hard to recall them both since Mathis hasn’t played in a few. I love the play of this guy though for sure. 

Mathis was listed at 6'2" 245lbs.  Turay is listed at 6'5" 253lbs

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Mathis was listed at 6'2" 245lbs.  Turay is listed at 6'5" 253lbs

Thanks. I thought that’s what my eyes remembered. I felt like Turay just looked bigger. He should bulk up a little with muscle mass over the next few years as well. That’s why I think he could prove to be a better version of Mathis and that’s a big comparison imho. Anything could happen and he could regress or become lazy or let the recognition get to his head but he didn’t seem like that type of a player from his bio. I sure hope we’ve hit good with 4-5 players in this draft. 

8 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

What do you mean no mentions the game is changing?  I've been talking about that for about a year now and it's why I think:

A) There is not a lot of difference between the skills needed for a LT and RT anymore.

B) The interior line positions are becoming more valuable and that is why you see more and more teams spending 1st round picks (and sometimes top 10 picks) on interior lineman.  The way to combat the edge rushers is quick throws and runs between the tackles.  To counter the quick throws a team needs DTs that can fill gaps and go after the QB, to counter the DTs and to run between the tackles you need good interior lineman.

And that is why when a generational interior lineman is available to draft, you draft him.

I said I didn't see anything in the thread that talked about maybe the interior pass rush is becoming more important than the edge rushers. I didn't say it's never been mentioned in the forum . Also bottom line is I probably didn't read the whole thread and I certainly have not read every post on this forum. 

Nor did I say that this observation was something that I originated. I said it wasn't mentioned in the thread about Turay which included how the Colt's pass rush was developing.

Anyway , please take my compliments if you have been "harping'' on this for a year. It was no doubt a good observation.

My computer or the website is messing up. This was a response to coffee drinkers post to me.

• Like 1

I was a big Turay fan when we drafted him. I said he wasn't as  raw or the project player some thought he was. I expected him to make an impact this season. The sky is the limit for this kid. I was pretty happy with all 4 second round selections 

I recall a lot of head scratching by draft experts as well some fans. Leonard was a reach, Why take Smith after going Nelson in the 1st?  Who's the project from Rutgers?  Where's the skill players how about a CB? There was a lot of reaching for need. Really? 

It's looking like Chris B and Co may know what they are doing after all. Leonard is on pace to be the DROY, Smith is settling in at RT and Turay looks to be a much needed differenc maker of the Edge.  If Lewis can get on the field and play up to the reports coming out of camp pre injury.  That's a heck of a second round. 

As far as who we didn't draft. Mack was going to get his shot that's why he was drafted. The same can be said for Q. The addition of Hines and Wilkins may turn into a 3 headed monster that silences the RB cries. The OL is looking like a strength our early picks are a big reason.  

The O right now looks to be a play making WR away from being insane. The D needs more play makers but we have over half a season to watch these young guys continue to develop. I'm anxious to see Lewis get on the field and hopefully Fountain gets some run too. 

On 10/22/2018 at 5:58 PM, ztboiler said:

You might be forgetting how small Mathis was...Stand he and Mathis next to each other...and there aren’t many similarities physically...

You are right..he is a bit taller. I do think he is a bit light for a DE...but he hasn’t filled out all the way. Standing next to the big uglies he looks damn near skinny lol. I thought he was 6’3 but you are correct he is listed 6’5 so much taller than I thought. Right now he just has a speed rush like Mathis did early on but once he develops more I think he can be special.

On 10/22/2018 at 4:46 PM, dgambill said:

Since game 1 I've said he reminds me of a young Robert Mathis. He is a bit smaller/lean but his motor never stops and he is very quick off the edge. If he can develop a counter move to his speed edge rush (spin or slap/dip inside) he could be a great pass rusher. I'm very pleased with him....so far our draft imo has been a home run....hopefully they all keep working out.

While yes, a bit smaller than a standard edge rusher, he is 6'5" with plenty to pack on if necessary in the next year or two. He is fast. His burst is incredible. As long as he doesn't lose any of that, another 10 lbs on his frame, would be a tremendous difference. He should be able to pack some power to his burst/punch off the ball this next offseason. High high ceiling for him. 

There is essentially 4 players that I can't take my eyes off. Darius Leonard for obvious reasons. Quenton Nelson, for more obvious reasons. Andrew Luck because he amazes me and is getting better by the day. And kemoko turay. I love what this guy brings to this franchise. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You are right..he is a bit taller. I do think he is a bit light for a DE...but he hasn’t filled out all the way. Standing next to the big uglies he looks damn near skinny lol. I thought he was 6’3 but you are correct he is listed 6’5 so much taller than I thought. Right now he just has a speed rush like Mathis did early on but once he develops more I think he can be special.

idk, Von Miller is a brawny 6"3 250 and he is pretty good.

• Like 1