Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Another Season of Slow Starts?

King Colt

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Preseason games are viewed by many as another practice 

So I guess PAts, Eagles, Packers even Minnesota think the same? This kind of its ok, we will get a participation trophy for second place resulted in Peyton only winning 1 superbowl. While the Pats even Pitts won multiple during his reign in Indy. I guess many are happy with Divisional Champ Banners being hanged instead of Superbowl champ banners. I guess I don't like lukewarm or teams that are content with being "Mediocre". Especially when you had one of the top 4 greatest QBs of all time and only coming away with 1 championship.

So If Peyton only won 1 in Indy, How many is Luck suppose to win with slow starts? And its not like this 2018 preseason is the first time we see this phenomenon. 

11 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

So I guess PAts, Eagles, Packers even Minnesota think the same? This kind of its ok, we will get a participation trophy for second place resulted in Peyton only winning 1 superbowl. While the Pats even Pitts won multiple during his reign in Indy. I guess many are happy with Divisional Champ Banners being hanged instead of Superbowl champ banners. I guess I don't like lukewarm or teams that are content with being "Mediocre". Especially when you had one of the top 4 greatest QBs of all time and only coming away with 1 championship.

So If Peyton only won 1 in Indy, How many is Luck suppose to win with slow starts? And its not like this 2018 preseason is the first time we see this phenomenon. 

Are saying the Manning era Colts were a mediocre team? I'm confused.

9 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

What do you think the Pats preseason record is under B.B.? How well would you say the Eagles’ preseason has gone so far? Which team finished 4-0 in the preseason last year?

You’re obscuring the actual point here. It’s preseson, it will not resemble the actual season in all likelihood. 

1 minute ago, Rackeen305 said:

Huh?

I will talk from the IHSAA perspective as a both a player and coach

Two A Days(Training Camp) and scrimmages/jamborees are used to get everyone in playing shape and try new things whether it be coaches, players and plays/schemes. In Indiana the scrimmages are even scored

7 minutes ago, LucknessMonster12 said:

Are saying the Manning era Colts were a mediocre team? I'm confused.

Im saying the RESULTS from the Manning era were "Mediocre" considering Manning was the top 2 during his ERA and only came away with 1 ring. Owner Jim Irsey seems to agree with me.

13 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

What do you think the Pats preseason record is under B.B.? How well would you say the Eagles’ preseason has gone so far? Which team finished 4-0 in the preseason last year?

You’re obscuring the actual point here. It’s preseson, it will not resemble the actual season in all likelihood. 

None of the teams you mentioned start their preseason games off slow. Do you think BB will be happy preseason or not with a team not on tempo? yea. The player(s) will be on the trade block before the end of the game! 

For Example, How many WRs has the Pats gone through this preseason alone? like 25 or something (maybe over exaggerated by 5). Hate him or love him, BB runs his ship tight but its right/conducive to rings. For that you have to respect the man.

8 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

None of the teams you mentioned start their preseason games off slow. Do you think BB will be happy preseason or not with a team not on tempo? yea. The player(s) will be on the trade block before the end of the game! 

For Example, How many WRs has the Pats gone through this preseason alone? like 25 or something (maybe over exaggerated by 5). Hate him or love him, BB runs his ship tight but its right/conducive to rings. For that you have to respect the man.

What has the number of WRs got to do do with this? 

I’d say scoring 0 points is a pretty slow start.

Last time.. it’s preseason, this is not real football. If we start slow in the regular season, then, you may have a point.

16 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Huh?

Two A Days(Training Camp) and scrimmages/jamborees are used to get everyone in playing shape and try new things whether it be coaches, players and plays/schemes. In Indiana the scrimmages are even scored

I don't mean to offend you, But you are talking to someone from Miami-Dade County. Ill just leave the High School Football talk alone at that. I dont care what High school is in the state of Indiana, They cannot, under no circumstance compare to Dade County. like frfr. see Booker T Washington, Miami Northwestern, Miami Central (RB Willis McGahee, RB Devonta Freeman, RB Najeh Davenport, DB Stanley Jean-Baptiste INT Colts in Ravens game). Lets just stay on NFL.

20 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

NE went through multiple WRs because of Injuries(Jordan Matthews), age(Eric Decker)  and suspension(Julian Edelman) not because of a tight ship 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

What has the number of WRs got to do do with this? 

I’d say scoring 0 points is a pretty slow start.

Last time.. it’s preseason, this is not real football. If we start slow in the regular season, then, you may have a point.

see 2017 colts.

I don't mean to offend you, But you are talking to someone from Miami-Dade County. Ill just leave the High School Football talk alone at that. I dont care what High school is in the state of Indiana, They cannot, under no circumstance compare to Dade County. like frfr. see Booker T Washington, Miami Northwestern, Miami Central (RB Willis McGahee, RB Devonta Freeman, RB Najeh Davenport, DB Stanley Jean-Baptiste INT Colts in Ravens game). Lets just stay on NFL.

Do you coach HS?

Who cares I was referring to my personal experience as a player and coach 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

Do you coach HS?

No sir. But top High School football is not something that is new to Florida. Anyone with any football IQ knows that. Florida (Deon Sanders, Emmit Smith, Edgerrin James, TY Hilton, Michael Irvin, Andre Johnson)

Do you watch the games during player introductions? Half the players or at least a quarter of the players from both teams come out of Florida.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/HjL78cCbz0-Qsx5Ve9D29w/maxpreps-2018-preseason-top-100-high-school-football-teams.htm

Four states — California, Texas, Florida and Georgia — claim over half the field.

Just now, Rackeen305 said:

No sir. But top High School football is not something that is new to Florida. Anyone with any football IQ knows that. Florida (Deon Sanders, Emmit Smith, Edgerrin James, TY Hilton, Michael Irvin, Andre Johnson)

Do you watch the games during player introductions? Half the players or at least a quarter of the players from both teams come out of Florida.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/HjL78cCbz0-Qsx5Ve9D29w/maxpreps-2018-preseason-top-100-high-school-football-teams.htm

Four states — California, Texas, Florida and Georgia — claim over half the field.

So maybe you shouldn’t dismiss @PrincetonTiger so cavalierly seeing as he has actual coaching experience? 

I come from a town that produced a marathon world record holder, doesn’t make me a great runner...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

After adding an another set of guys next offseason it should be even better

I was actually thinking the same thing yesterday. Though I'm excited about the 2018 season, I realize that the championship run actually starts in 2019 JMHO.

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Huh?

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

Last point and I'll leave this topic alone, Take a wild guess where Teddy Bridgewater played High School football? Miami Northwestern. Even the NFLs best WR Antonio Brown went to Miami Norland High. I'm telling you, Indiana may be known for Basketball pedigree. But Football is in the water down here in South Florida JBH.

BTW the Colts love some Miami football. see TY Hilton, the current kicker is a cane (Michael Badgley), Former QB Morris, Frank, Andre, Reggie, Edge. IJS.

3 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Last point and I'll leave this topic alone, Take a wild guess where Teddy Bridgewater played High School football? Miami Northwestern. I'm telling you, Indiana may be known for Basketball pedigree. But Football is in the water down here in South Florida JBH.

Since TB played at Louisville I knew that

I never said anything about one state’s FB being better than another. I used the IHSAA and my experience as a Tiger as an example about Preseason Workout

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

BTW, I haven't watched the NFL closely before the early 90s but my top 5 QBs, no particular order is:

*Montana

*Brady

*Elway

*Manning

*Marino  

FWIW, I have 

Brady 1 :yuk: he has the Rings and Great Stats

Montana 2 - Good Stats + 4 Rings, in 4 SB's he had no INT's

Manning 3 - Great Stats, 5 League MVP's, and 2 Rings. He is no doubt Top 3 of all-time!

Unitas 4

Elway 5 

-I started watching Football in the late 70's so I didn't see Unitas live so my Top 5 that I have seen live are:

Brady 1 :yuk:

Montana 2

Manning 3

Elway 4

Marino 5 - he never won a SB but I still have him 5th on the guys I have seen live. Bradshaw won 4 SB's and Aikman won 3 SB's but Marino was the better QB IMO. Rings are important but not the only factor that goes into ranking these QB's. Stats and League MVP's have to be factored in as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Yes it is 

4-3 is the front 7 

The Cover is Zone call

Blitzes and stunts are often also called in there

Tampa 2 is the style of Zone Dungy, Kiffin and Marinelli developed while with the Bucs

You can run a Cover 2 in any zone D scheme

There were times that were ran it in a 4-4 and even a 5-2 but in the NFL it goes with a 4-3 

4-3 and cover two are not the same thing at all

one is personal, and one is a play call

On 8/28/2018 at 10:16 AM, 1959Colts said:

It's not really fair to ridicule this poster. Although I can understand all the "rah rah" 2018 Colts team enthusiasm, the team has looked bad in many of the same aspects as years past. 

Our slow starts were usually caused by defense's inabillity to stop run and get off the field. along with our offense's poor running game and the O- line failing to pass protect. All of which have been happening with our 2018 first team starters on the field.

It seemed the defense was giving up 6-8 yards per carry when 49ers ran the ball in the first half... that has to be concerning. And along with our OT situation and lack of WRs and RBs one has to question the offense.

It's easy to make excuses that the vanilla play calling is the reason for our struggles, but until Reich shows us otherwise (with some non-vanilla playcalls) we really don't know what the offense actually will look like. 

Last night, I watched our 3rd Preseason game on my DVR. Your constructive criticisms about INDY's failure to stop the run are indeed accurate @1959Colts. Yeah, I know. It's too early to fret yet, but I won't lie. I didn't like how easily San Fran's backs were getting large chucks of yardage on us on the ground. I will give Frank time to fix it.

I did like the Ebron touchdown & seeing Luck run out of bounds once. Jacoby played fantastic! Jesus, that kid is tough.

Yeah, I never like seeing teams rough shot against us. That always vexes me even in the preseason. Anyway, I appreciate what you said. Thank you.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Since TB played at Louisville I knew that

I never said anything about one state’s FB being better than another. I used the IHSAA and my experience as a Tiger as an example about Preseason Workout

Thnks for your view points. GO COLTS

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

FWIW, I have 

Brady 1 :yuk: he has the Rings and Great Stats

Montana 2 - Good Stats + 4 Rings, in 4 SB's he had no INT's

Manning 3 - Great Stats, 5 League MVP's, and 2 Rings. He is no doubt Top 3 of all-time!

Unitas 4

Elway 5 

-I started watching Football in the late 70's so I didn't see Unitas live so my Top 5 that I have seen live are:

Brady 1 :yuk:

Montana 2

Manning 3

Elway 4

Marino 5 - he never won a SB but I still have him 5th on the guys I have seen live. Bradshaw won 4 SB's and Aikman won 3 SB's but Marino was the better QB IMO. Rings are important but not the only factor that goes into ranking these QB's. Stats and League MVP's have to be factored in as well.

I got one for ya. Whats your fav Peyton game that you've seen? (oh ohhhhhh lol) 

Mine, 09-21-2009 Colts vs Dolphins (27 - 23 Colts win) while possessing the ball for only 1/4 of the game. 15 mins time of possession for the game! Peyton is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

I got one for ya. Whats your fav Peyton game that you've seen? (oh ohhhhhh lol) 

Mine, 09-21-2009 Colts vs Dolphins (27 - 23 Colts win) while possessing the ball for only 1/4 of the game. 15 mins time of possession for the game! Peyton is ridiculous. 

The obvious one's would be to say the 2006 AFC Title Game vs the Pats and the 2009 Regular Season game vs the Pats where we were down 34-14 and won 35-34 = Peyton to Reggie. Having said that, I will throw this one out there, Monday Night at Tampa in 2003. That comeback win was unbelievable. 

The colts in their first preseason game this year, and on their first series were up tempo and were able to move the ball quickly down field. This wasn’t a slow start. How many 3 and outs were there during the pagano era? 

On an unrelated note, the colts defense held strong in the redzone vs the 49ers, which impressed me because it’s the most game like situation we will see the in the regular season. 

8 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Im saying the RESULTS from the Manning era were "Mediocre" considering Manning was the top 2 during his ERA and only came away with 1 ring. Owner Jim Irsey seems to agree with me.

I dont agree. "They should've won more rings!" ... They happened to be competing  with some extremely talented teams. As compared to any era. Those teams (Pat's, Steelers, ect) had balance. Its actually more impressive to me that they managed to win more games over a decade than any team in history. They won a championship. And, lost another.

They competed for more championships than the bucs, ravens, chargers, saints, ect in that time. No, they didn't win as many as the Pat's, and Steelers. I would argue that those teams could beat the best of any era. Does Irsay agree with that?

1 hour ago, LucknessMonster12 said:

I dont agree. "They should've won more rings!" ... They happened to be competing  with some extremely talented teams. As compared to any era. Those teams (Pat's, Steelers, ect) had balance. Its actually more impressive to me that they managed to win more games over a decade than any team in history. They won a championship. And, lost another.

They competed for more championships than the bucs, ravens, chargers, saints, ect in that time. No, they didn't win as many as the Pat's, and Steelers. I would argue that those teams could beat the best of any era. Does Irsay agree with that?

The one we lost in 2009 to the Saints in the Manning era hurt. We should've won that but didn't. Having said that we did go 89-23 from 2003-2009, went to 2 SB's, 3 AFC Title Games, and won a SB. Most franchises would die for that kind of 7 season run. Look at how Great the core teams of the Bills were from 1990-1993, same for the Eagles from 2001-2004, and the Chargers from 2006-2009. They have no SB wins, nothing to show for it. At least 2006 validated our Greatness. 

6 hours ago, LucknessMonster12 said:

No. Just stop the excuses. You have a "mediocre" mind set. Jim doesn't agree with you when he says he's building the team for multiple championships with luck. Did he say that with Manning? No. He simply assumed that under Manning he would compete for multiple titles in the big game. 

This is supported by the fact the Colts never gave Peyton much help on the defensive side but focused more on the offensive side of player acquisition.