Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard o line mindset with this past draft.

I saw a couple of interesting articles debating whether or not Nelson could play tackle in the NFL. His arms are long enough but the question remains is he athletic enough to play left tackle. Maybe even in a pinch. I look at new england's approach with left tackle in drafting Wynne for instance. He will get that shot eventually to try. I know he played tackle but he is undersized in nfl measurements. Hypothetically for argument sake let's say Nelson could be an average to great left tackle. Then with Smith in the second rounder, he has a similar build to a right tackle prospect. If we're hit on his potential as well Imo in the next year or two if we move on from constanzo and this pans out we could have two book end tackles.  I will be extreamly impressed not only with Ballard but the scoutng as well.

That will not only put to bed the argument drafting a guard in the top ten of the draft but also solidify this line for the next ten years at least for our tackle positions. I mean worst case  hopefully we have two starting caliber or better guards so I'm not complaining. Just food for thought. Any opinions? 

• Like 1

They were drafted as guards, that’s where they should play. Moving players around too much can be their undoing, so I’m happy with having an All-Pro caliber guard rather than a decent tackle. With the league transitioning into more pressure from the middle (Aaron Donald, Fletcher Cox, etc.) guards are becoming just as important as tackles quickly!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Plus, the guards are being required to be better athletes to pull faster and even move like tackles on screens, and paid as such. So, I can see why Ballard saw athleticism as a trait to key in on for our Round 2 guard pick, Braden Smith. 

• Like 2

On 7/13/2018 at 9:29 AM, Coltivated said:

I saw a couple of interesting articles debating whether or not Nelson could play tackle in the NFL. His arms are long enough but the question remains is he athletic enough to play left tackle. Maybe even in a pinch. I look at new england's approach with left tackle in drafting Wynne for instance. He will get that shot eventually to try. I know he played tackle but he is undersized in nfl measurements. Hypothetically for argument sake let's say Nelson could be an average to great left tackle. Then with Smith in the second rounder, he has a similar build to a right tackle prospect. If we're hit on his potential as well Imo in the next year or two if we move on from constanzo and this pans out we could have two book end tackles.  I will be extreamly impressed not only with Ballard but the scoutng as well.

That will not only put to bed the argument drafting a guard in the top ten of the draft but also solidify this line for the next ten years at least for our tackle positions. I mean worst case  hopefully we have two starting caliber or better guards so I'm not complaining. Just food for thought. Any opinions? 

I think you should probably get used to the idea that Nelson and Smith will be the guards of the present (Nelson) and future (Smith).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I read an article that stated Bill B., many years ago, found that the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line.  In other words, straight up the middle.  So he beefs up his middle, guards and center.  This protects Brady and allows a good run game up the middle. Even in pass play, he attacks the middle.   

The Saints do this for Brees who is slated to take over Manning’s record soon and he never seems to get beat up either.  

On 7/13/2018 at 6:29 AM, Coltivated said:

Nelson and Smith will be our guards for the next 10 years.

Not tackles.      They were drafted to play guard and that's what they'll be.

AC has a few more years.     Our right tackle of the future likely isn't on our roster this year.   But we should be solid average this year at the RT spot with Howard,  or Good.

Smith can play RT in a pinch.    But he's not a fit there as a long term solution.    He's a guard and Ballard said he drafted him 37th because he thought Smith the last starting caliber guard in the draft.

Ballard will find our future tackles in future drafts.

• 2 years later...
9 hours ago, Coltivated said:

Haha this might come to fruition. I told you guys

Yeah, you called this. 

I don't know if Nelson will play LT, but it seems as if Braeden Smith is 100% playing LT or RT the rest of his time in Indy

Unless, Nelson moves to LT, and a top RT falls to us in the next couple of years

• Shive locked this topic