Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 - 2019 Indiana Pacers and everything NBA thread

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Depends on who we can get. He is a Good player when you factor in his Defense. He is our best Rim Protector. His Numbers should be better but 13 and 6 are better than Average. He also shoots 78% from the line = Great for a BIG. 

He cant play the '4' defensive;y..we're told that by the coaches.

..and 78% from the line isnt great for anybody.

I just think that analysis is soft on him because we like him. 

I dont want to pay him $15-$20 mil in a year....when 14 and 8 is his best year

..and if I could trade him for a starting forward...now is the time to do it...

..and now is the time to discuss it because we're about to jump into the trade window

Sabonis and Turner are both 22.   Sabonis is currently a better player.  

I assume Turner has the higher ceiling, but I'm not sure.  

Sabonis is under contract longer.  

If we only keep one of them past this season, it'll be a tough call.  

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think he should. That is his home and he is loved there. He won a Championship there being the face of that franchise. Play 2 or 3 more years and end your career where you are loved. Makes sense to me. He will never be considered better than Jordan (or Magic IMO) no matter what he does at this point so it just makes sense. If he went to the Rockets or Warriors just to get 1 or 2 more Rings most people would look at that and roll their eyes. If he done that it would look really bad. I could play for the Warriors and get a Ring :banana:

The talk is his family wants to stay in Cleveland...his eldest son is a teenager now..

......they dont want to go to Houston or Philadelphia..Houston would have to gut the team anyway

..there is doubt now that Paul George goes to LA this summer.....(I think he still will) but it may be 2019 or 2020

....Cavs think that Kemba Walker may be available in trade which would replace

change them greatly....And they won the East with the team they largely acquired at mid--season... 

..and I just think LeBron agrees with you that he'd look bad jumping teams again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

He cant play the '4' defensive;y..we're told that by the coaches.

..and 78% from the line isnt great for anybody.

I just think that analysis is soft on him because we like him. 

I dont want to pay him $15-$20 mil in a year....when 14 and 8 is his best year

..and if I could trade him for a starting forward...now is the time to do it...

..and now is the time to discuss it because we're about to jump into the trade window

For a BIG 78% is Great, we will just have disagree on that. For their Career's Tim Duncan shot 69.6% from the line, Karl Malone shot 74.2% - the 2 best PF's of all-time, Duncan played alot of Center too. When you have a BIG that nearly makes 80% of his FT's that is a huge asset because teams just cant Foul him on purpose.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Comparing Turner's potential  to Oladipo's  is just wishful thinking.

Sabonis is a better player at this point and he has 2 years left on his contract.

You looked at a guy who had his best season..and say you see limits.

...and you look at a guy who declined last year and see great potential.

You have to know you're wrong

...I know you keep saying you can see the future....but .by what barometer do you see more potential in Myles Tuirner?

Sabonis's best season? He's only played two seasons. The first season was on a team that used him as a stretch four and played him less minutes. They didn't know how to use him. 

Not to mention Sabonis played against backups and gets more opportunities on offense playing with the second unit. There were plenty of occasions where Myles Turner had 8-10 points in the first quarter using pick-and-pop and then not getting those opportunities because they wanted the ball in Oladipo's hands. 

If Myles Turner is traded this summer I will not post on this forum anymore. I'm not "predicting the future". I'm listening to the GM. It's not happening. Collison will be on the roster as well.

42 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Sabonis's best season? He's only played two seasons. The first season was on a team that used him as a stretch four and played him less minutes. They didn't know how to use him. 

Not to mention Sabonis played against backups and gets more opportunities on offense playing with the second unit. There were plenty of occasions where Myles Turner had 8-10 points in the first quarter using pick-and-pop and then not getting those opportunities because they wanted the ball in Oladipo's hands. 

If Myles Turner is traded this summer I will not post on this forum anymore. I'm not "predicting the future". I'm listening to the GM. It's not happening. Collison will be on the roster as well.

We aren't trading him so don't worry, if we do we better get Kawhi Leonard in whatever deal is made.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

If we believe Myles is a vastly superior player to Tristan Thompson....how did Thompson dominate him in Game 7 against the Cavs?  Sabonis played a lot in that series

Why wasnt Myles in there 'excelling'

You see the numbers.....I dont know that Myles is any better than his numbers indicate

I think Myles is an overall better player than TT. But the 2 things TT does really well (rebounding and being physical) are the 2 things Turner is at best mediocre at.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Myles said:

Sabonis and Turner are both 22.   Sabonis is currently a better player.  

I assume Turner has the higher ceiling, but I'm not sure.  

Sabonis is under contract longer.  

If we only keep one of them past this season, it'll be a tough call.  

If Sabonis were a starter (he probably will be one day soon) he would average close to a double double IMO. Hes not afraid to play physical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We aren't trading him so don't worry, if we do we better get Kawhi Leonard in whatever deal is made.

That's a great idea..

Myles, Bogdonavich and Big Al...for Leonard....:thmup:

The Spurs should get him lout of the Western Conference :agree:

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sure why Mark is so down on Myles, guy is only 22. If he was 25 and hadn't improved at all I can see it. Myles is still a baby.

Quotes for truth. We all know bigs take more time to develop then guards. He was a teenager when he came into the NBA. His real issue has been injuries have slowed his development. Sabonis ceiling is much lower than Turners. He doesn’t have the athleticism to cover smaller guys on the perimeter....not a shot blocker...can’t stretch the defense. Myles is in top 10% in blocks...defensive shooting percentage. He has also improved his 3 pt shot...can stretch the defense. He can still develop. He won’t be getting a max contract unless he blows up this year...but there is no reason we can’t do a deal in the 15-18 million range if he at least shows us somethjng. Sabonis we have an extra year to decide. Keep both unless a great offer comes along. This decision doesn’t need to be decided this offseason.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

If Sabonis were a starter (he probably will be one day soon) he would average close to a double double IMO. Hes not afraid to play physical.

Possibly I hope so. Fact is Sabonis has negative plus minus for us...while Turner has a positive one. I like Sabonis toughness. IMO we have room for both he and Myles. Sabonis is a great backup center. He is a spark off the bench and can matchup against better post players that Myles doesn’t have the size to defend...overall though Myles is a better shooter and shot blocker. A stretch 5. It’s what the league loves...I think we see him as a cornerstone....hopefully they both become great. Nice problem to have is too many talented bigs.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

I would be shocked if we moved him in the next year or so but we traded Paul George...we traded Danny Granger...we traded the Davis’s, everyone gets traded. It will happen likely...but I think he has at least until next offseason.

turner has the higher celing, but i dont think its by that much

maybe sabonis turns into the elite passer that his dad was.   i think hes more likely to hit his potential too.  he also shot 35.1% on threes, turner was 35.7

• Like 1

Woj reporting Pacers plan to extend offer sheet to Aaron Gordon of the Magic. I can’t post tweet from my phone but that would be a big signing. I like Aaron...super athletic great in pick and roll pick n pop...would like to see him dedicate himself to his defense but has athleticism to cover bigger 3s and most 4s. Might take a sign and trade to get the deal done because Magic are sitting on some horrible contracts and to re-sign him they would probably be in the tax. Clear Pritchard is going to try to make a splash. If we land him and have room to bring in an Evans or Barton that would be a nice summer. Evaluate Sabonis and Turner this year and move one or the other. Gotta think Collison will be on the move with our rookie coming in and with COJO coming back. Still lots of options. Great flexibility with our cap has us in nice shape.

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

turner has the higher celing, but i dont think its by that much

maybe sabonis turns into the elite passer that his dad was.   i think hes more likely to hit his potential too.  he also shot 35.1% on threes, turner was 35.7

THAts a misleading stat. Domas only hit 13 all season. He shot 159 with the Thunder and shot a worse percentage. He isn’t a threat out there and has no business shooting it and clearly the Pacers did the right thing and got his butt in the post and it improved his shooting and especially rebounding. Myles for example hit as many as Domas shot this year and at a higher clip. His shotting is improving too. 35% isn’t great but if he gets to 38 in the next year then we can start really saying he is dangerous out there. I like both players.... Myles rim protection plus being a better shooter and having more athleticism leads me to think he has the higher upside...but if Sabonis keeps working he can be a starter soon. I like both. Keep both and reevaluate next offseason.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

THAts a misleading stat. Domas only hit 13 all season. He shot 159 with the Thunder and shot a worse percentage. He isn’t a threat out there and has no business shooting it and clearly the Pacers did the right thing and got his butt in the post and it improved his shooting and especially rebounding. Myles for example hit as many as Domas shot this year and at a higher clip. His shotting is improving too. 35% isn’t great but if he gets to 38 in the next year then we can start really saying he is dangerous out there. I like both players.... Myles rim protection plus being a better shooter and having more athleticism leads me to think he has the higher upside...but if Sabonis keeps working he can be a starter soon. I like both. Keep both and reevaluate next offseason.

if people are going to insist that turner has such a high ceiling, then i will say that sabonis can be an elite passer and good rebounder like his dad was.  

i think he is the more likely one to hit his potential, instead of turner who hasnt improved in 3 years 

Glad Thad opted in. Gives us more cap flexibility next year if we decide to move on from him rather than giving him a multi-year deal and being stuck with it.

This means Aaron Gordon won't be signed, but Orlando would have probably matched anyway.

We should still have around $18 million in cap space after we get rid of Al Jefferson and decline Joe Young's team option. Still enough to pick up Tyreke Evans or Will Barton.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Glad Thad opted in. Gives us more cap flexibility next year if we decide to move on from him rather than giving him a multi-year deal and being stuck with it.

This means Aaron Gordon won't be signed, but Orlando would have probably matched anyway.

We should still have around $18 million in cap space after we get rid of Al Jefferson and decline Joe Young's team option. Still enough to pick up Tyreke Evans or Will Barton.

Yeah if we can add Evans or Barton to what we have, we will be a better team. I kind of want Smart because that would weaken Boston a tad too. Boston is loaded.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

I like Thad but I’m not. He isn’t a long term piece. We will have big room next offseason but a bunch of other teams will as well. This year there were fewer teams with 20-30 million space. There might be more top free agents next offseason but a ton of teams will have space. I felt this offseason was the year to make a splash. Plus another year of Philly and Boston and those young guys will keep getting better. Felt like this was a year to shock some people and get to the finals. It’s not awful but I preferred the money now.

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

if people are going to insist that turner has such a high ceiling, then i will say that sabonis can be an elite passer and good rebounder like his dad was.  

i think he is the more likely one to hit his potential, instead of turner who hasnt improved in 3 years 

It’s a different NBA then when his father played. But he does have elite genes too. I hope they both hit! Both come from NBA bloodlines. I just think the things that Myles is getting better at and his best features translates better to the modern nba. I think both can have a spot on this team.

paul geroge's "its a business" comments make hard for me to forgive him even though he did let us trade him

the lakers have not done anything to deserve being a contender, yet they will be if him and lebron go there.  the pacers are better than the lakers ffs

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

It’s a different NBA then when his father played. But he does have elite genes too. I hope they both hit! Both come from NBA bloodlines. I just think the things that Myles is getting better at and his best features translates better to the modern nba. I think both can have a spot on this team.

But dg, ...Myles isnt getting better...that's my problem with him

..... for the season last year: Myles was 12.7 (points) and 6.4  (rebounds)...

.........2 years ago.....14.5 and 7.3

...for his 3-year career?  12.7 and 6.5 ..same as last year

We should see what we can get for him next week

...because nothing indicates he's getting better..and if he declines again we have nothing

Even his best year isnt good enough for us to sign him long term..

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

paul geroge's "its a business" comments make hard for me to forgive him even though he did let us trade him

the lakers have not done anything to deserve being a contender, yet they will be if him and lebron go there.  the pacers are better than the lakers ffs

Once Magic Johnson took over, it was a given the Lakers would get back on top. He wins at everything, It wouldnt freakin shock me if they Sign PG and LeBron and trade for Kawhi LOL.

-People would say, how would that work? It can in today's NBA because Small Ball is the thing. PG can play SG, Kawhi SF = perfect, LeBron can play PointG or PF - he is alot like Magic.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah if we can add Evans or Barton to what we have, we will be a better team. I kind of want Smart because that would weaken Boston a tad too. Boston is loaded.

Good point. I agree I think Marcus Smart is the way to go..........a lot of teams seem to want Evans...and his price will be high

WE might be able to get Smart and Will Barton ...(or Smart and Lance...the 

'dream backcourt')

I'm not concerned with 2025 or  2026.

We have veterans and Vic is in his prime..I want to win the conference next season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Once Magic Johnson took over, it was a given the Lakers would get back on top. He wins at everything, It wouldnt freakin shock me if they Sign PG and LeBron and trade for Kawhi LOL.

-People would say, how would that work? It can in today's NBA because Small Ball is the thing. PG can play SG, Kawhi SF = perfect, LeBron can play PointG or PF - he is alot like Magic.

I think the first thing that happens is that Paul George signs with the Lakers

• Like 1

LeBron cant sign another 2-year deal with thr Cavs....with  player option and we do this all over again next year.

Some think PG stays with OKC....but he's never said that

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep then dominoes fall.

The way Magic is talking I think he already has an agreement with Paul George

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

LeBron cant sign another 2-year deal with thr Cavs....with  player option and we do this all over again next year.

Some think PG stays with OKC....but he's never said that

The way Magic is talking I think he already has an agreement wit Paul

I have been hearing the Lakers are offering Kuzma and Ingram + future 1st Round picks for Kawhi as well. Deal may done by the end of the weekend. 

I also have not heard any comments from Lance Stephenson  'saying goodbye to the Pacer fans' or 'thanking the organization for letting his play here twice'

I think Lance's agent may have a promise from our front office that we'll squeeze him  in with a 2-year low-price deal if we dont get Tyreke Evans

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

the spurs are pretty smart, they know it would be a three team league if they trade kawhi there, and all three teams are in the west

a future first wouldnt be worth much if they have lebron, paul and kl, but they might bite since they are in a tough spot 

• Like 1