Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pm's Projected Retirement Age?

UndecidedFrog

1) It would be hard for me to watch more football than I already do.

2) It would be hard for me to comprehend the game anymore than I already do.

3) What I very clearly understand is that Manning will be in the broadcast both by the time he is in his mid-forties.

And thats cause he chooses to do so....you watch so much football then u must understand the game is changing, and the QB is pretty much untouchable.

Like I previously said if Peyton wants too, he'll play till he's 45 he's that great, period...and it's not because he's physically gifted it's because he is such a hard working, dedicated individual, he makes NFL defensives look like he is playing a college team.

This ain't about him be physically gifted like Brett Frave, this is about a average guy, with a great arm putting in the time and effort to be the best of all time. Brett got away with a lot of things cause he was so talented, with Peyton there was no room for mistakes, or his team payed the price. The guy is literally the rocky of football...somebody I would never bet against, no matter the age.

Well Brett Farve played 'til what 40/41? Peyton takes a lot less hits then Brett. He can do 40/41.

Well said FX Stryker!!! Because of Peyton's lightning fast ball release at the line of scrimmage, it all boils down to the protection of the Offensive line...Having time to survey the field. I could see him playing until age 41 easy.

I'd say that it is 39 years old.

The average is around 37 years old, but like Favre, Manning loves the game a lot, and just seems to have a hard time letting go of it, and he has no intentions of retiring. It was originally around 40 years old, but I'd say it's around 38-39 years with the neck surgeries; I don't think he wants to risk his future after football too much.

Assuming Peyton Manning returns to play NFL football as a QB, he will be 36 years old this upcoming season.

How many more years do you think he can play, before his performance decline will dictate that he must retire?

I have heard one fan estimate that claims PM can play "well into his 60s". I don't believe that. What do you think?

Indoors..with the Colts..

(If his nerve regains strength) He could play 4 more years....maybe a 5th or 6th as a backup...if he wished

If he's traded...to an outdoor team with a struggling team..maybe 1 or 2 years....tops

..If he's traded to a contender.... 2-4 more years.

I dont think he's risking his health at all...from what I know of his injury...

But if there is no succes with a new team///he'll obviously retire sooner...

And thats cause he chooses to do so....you watch so much football then u must understand the game is changing, and the QB is pretty much untouchable.

Like I previously said if Peyton wants too, he'll play till he's 45 he's that great, period...and it's not because he's physically gifted it's because he is such a hard working, dedicated individual, he makes NFL defensives look like he is playing a college team.

This ain't about him be physically gifted like Brett Frave, this is about a average guy, with a great arm putting in the time and effort to be the best of all time. Brett got away with a lot of things cause he was so talented, with Peyton there was no room for mistakes, or his team payed the price. The guy is literally the rocky of football...somebody I would never bet against, no matter the age.

If Manning was completely healthy over the last few years, the odds of him playing to his mid-forties are long at best.

You talk of Manning like he is not flesh and bones. Even someone who works as hard as he does cannot out run father time.

Indoors..with the Colts..

(If his nerve regains strength) He could play 4 more years....maybe a 5th or 6th as a backup...if he wished

If he's traded...to an outdoor team with a struggling team..maybe 1 or 2 years....tops

..If he's traded to a contender.... 2-4 more years.

I dont think he's risking his health at all...from what I know of his injury...

But if there is no succes with a new team///he'll obviously retire sooner...

You really think Manning would finish his career as a backup? I am afraid that is not close to reality.

You really think Manning would finish his career as a backup? I am afraid that is not close to reality.

I think he would....with the Colts..

One possible scenario would be him playing 2 or 3 more seasons and nearing the end of the line, the Colts annouce they are inserting Luck and asking Manning to stay in reserve as a psuedo-coach, part of the transition that Irsay has discussed/

I can also see Mannig retiring..Luck being injured and Manning being asked to come out of retirement in a playoff run scenario...and I think he would do it

Anytting can happen 'J'

One possible scenario would be him playing 2 or 3 more seasons and nearing the end of the line, the Colts annouce they are inserting Luck and asking Manning to stay in reserve as a psuedo-coach, part of the transition that Irsay has discussed/

I can also see Mannig retiring..Luck being injured and Manning being asked to come out of retirement in a playoff run scenario...and I think he would do it

Anytting can happen 'J'

I like this a lot, Manning will be an outstanding coach and you know every man on the team will listen to him.

Three years tops, less if he gets his second ring.

That's a good point....because I think we're a playoff team with Manning.

it goes back to all the 2009 and 2010 starters we still have./

If we were to reach the Super Bowl next year or in 2013....he might choose to go out on (or near) the top..

I think Manning is invested in the Colts more than just the normal player-team relationship....

...and he'd like to leave at a peak.

he certainly does not want to go after sitting out a 2-14 team..

That's why it wont be hard to cut and resign him...if that's what Irsay chooses.

If Manning was completely healthy over the last few years, the odds of him playing to his mid-forties are long at best.

You talk of Manning like he is not flesh and bones. Even someone who works as hard as he does cannot out run father time.

I said the guy works hard, not that physically gifted, and takes less hits then prolly any QB in history.

Far from saying he's non-human

Assuming Peyton Manning returns to play NFL football as a QB, he will be 36 years old this upcoming season.

How many more years do you think he can play, before his performance decline will dictate that he must retire?

I have heard one fan estimate that claims PM can play "well into his 60s". I don't believe that. What do you think?

at least 4 years on a All-Pro level, unless he pulls a Favre and plays a couple more after 40. I don't think he would tho. He will retire as soon as he starts to decline. Peyton Manning has nothing left to prove.

Well maybe one thing. To show Jimmy that it would be the biggest mistake of his life cutting the best ever.

Anytting can happen 'J'

When has there ever been a time where an All Time great QB allowed themselves to be a back up after they lost a starting job? It does not happen and will not happen with Manning. Their pride makes it is impossible to say nothing of having big dollars tied up in a player who main job is to hold a clipboard.

I said the guy works hard, not that physically gifted, and takes less hits then prolly any QB in history.

Far from saying he's non-human

The very simple answer is Manning will not still be playing in the league in 8 years. To suggest that is, like I said in my first response, is absolutely hysterical. And par for the course from you.

The very simple answer is Manning will not still be playing in the league in 8 years. To suggest that is, like I said in my first response, is absolutely hysterical. And par for the course from you.

And as I said before if Peyton wanted too...he could and still be better then 50% of QBs.

I know another all time great in another sport that came back in his late 30 early 40s and averaged 20 points, experts also said he could still average 20 a game when he was 46....

Oh and I must not forget... I didn't suggest he'll play till he's 45, I said he could if he wanted too. However I will suggest he will play into his forties. That's if he decides not to step away if he wins another SB.

You know u can always pm me again and we can vent some more...lol

Often in a layoff after the age of 34, some forms of arthritis can begin to rear their ugly head. Peyton is lucky to have the ability to rehabilitate with the best people and is arguably is the best physical shape of his career other than the 'full strength' of his arm. That said I will say 41 based on his mastery of the line of scrimmage. Yes a great left tackle and a solid OL is critical as well as big play receivers.

It is March 5......I still want him here to prove everyone wrong...not the Redskins, Chiefs, or Jets. Sitting with Tom Moore at the Duke/NC game? Recruiting?

LOL, I think if you poll alot of people on this sight,it will be Jim Irsays fault if he is not a Colt into his 70's at least. But I am thinking 62, that will get me my moneys worth out of all my jerseys, because after all PMs future is about what is best for me,not him or the Colts.

LOL, I think if you poll alot of people on this sight,it will be Jim Irsays fault if he is not a Colt into his 70's at least. But I am thinking 62, that will get me my moneys worth out of all my jerseys, because after all PMs future is about what is best for me,not him or the Colts.

Very droll.

You are mocking many people who hold PM dearly in their hearts, such that they disregard the norm of when elite QBs retire (or should retire....e.g. Favre).

The average age elite QBs retire or should have retired based on their diminishing performance is 35. There are only a handful (5 or less) that are outliers from this average. They are Favre, Warner, Elway, and Moon.

Some fans will argue that it is unfair to apply this average to PM, since PM plays in the new NFL where rules protect the QB. Yet they fail to realize that these new rules failed to protect PM from his most recent injury, from which he is still recovering after missing out all of last season.

Given this, I project PM's retirement at age 36.

Very droll. You are mocking many people who hold PM dearly in their hearts, such that they disregard the norm of when elite QBs retire (or should retire....e.g. Favre). The average age elite QBs retire or should have retired based on their diminishing performance is 35. There are only a handful (5 or less) that are outliers from this average. They are Favre, Warner, Elway, and Moon. Some fans will argue that it is unfair to apply this average to PM, since PM plays in the new NFL where rules protect the QB. Yet they fail to realize that these new rules failed to protect PM from his most recent injury, from which he is still recovering after missing out all of last season. Given this, I project PM's retirement at age 36.

add marino and montana to that list. this list pretty much includes all the great qb's of the last 30 years. this completely shoots down your theory. manning, breeze, and brady will all be playing at a top level in their late 30's and will add to the list.

if you think manning is going to retire now, i have a great bridge to sell you.

add marino and montana to that list. this list pretty much includes all the great qb's of the last 30 years. this completely shoots down your theory. manning, breeze, and brady will all be playing at a top level in their late 30's and will add to the list.

if you think manning is going to retire now, i have a great bridge to sell you.

Both Marino and Montana should have retired sooner than they did, given their declining performance. Do you really think the last few years of Marino was a pretty sight?

I would like to change the perception of many fans that feel that the league has changed so much, and that due to all of the new rules, QBa are not hit as often or as hard. As proof of this, lets review the last few years and look at QB's who have been injured while on the field of play.

Chad Henne- Out for the season

Colt Mccoy- missed games due to concussion

Ben Rothlisberger- constantly plays through injuries and should have sat out the last game of the season due to his anke injury.

Matt Schaub- Out for the season

Matt Leinart- Out with shoulder injury

Kerry Collins- concussion

Matt Hasselbeck-missed games with injury, Locker started one game

Tim Tebow- rib injury

Jason Campbel- Out for the season

Tony Romo- Missed numerous games last season, Kitna filled in.

Mike Vick- Missed numerous games this last season, and some games this season

Jay Cutler- Missed half of the season

Matthew Stafford- Missed numerous games over the past few seasons due to shoulder injury

Christian Ponder- Hurt and missed a game

Kevin Kolb- missed most of the season

Sam Bradford- constantly injured, missed numerous games

This is proof that the league is not as "soft" as some may suggest. Please factor this when deciding how long Manning may play, as he ages and becomes even less mobile.

Both Marino and Montana should have retired sooner than they did, given their declining performance. Do you really think the last few years of Marino was a pretty sight?

montana's last two years qb ratings were 87 and 84, just under his career avg of 92. he led the chiefs to playoffs both years (one afc championship game) and one pro bowl. marino's last three were 81, 80, 67, just under his career avg of 86. you can only say the last year of marino wasn't very good, but mot even that was terrible by all qb standards.

montana's last two years qb ratings were 87 and 84, just under his career avg of 92. he led the chiefs to playoffs both years (one afc championship game) and one pro bowl. marino's last three were 81, 80, 67, just under his career avg of 86. you can only say the last year of marino wasn't very good, but mot even that was terrible by all qb standards.

http://www.neontommy.com/news/2011/01/peyton-mannings-best-days-have-passed-him

-At age 36, Dan Marino saw his decline. His quarterback rating dropped to 80.7, his touchdowns plummeted to 17, and only in his rookie year did he produce fewer passing yards in a full season. He lasted two more seasons before retirement.

- Joe Montana's career may as well have ended at 35. His numbers plummeted in 1990 — just a year removed from one of the finest seasons ever put together by a QB (26 TDs and 8 INT in just 13 games with a 112.4 QB rating in 1989).

He played in one final game in San Francisco at age 36 before ending his career in mediocre fashion in Kansas City (two seasons, 29 combined touchdown passes).

- Troy Aikman’s demise occurred so abruptly at age 34 that he retired after tossing just 7 touchdowns against 14 interceptions in 2000.

- Terry Bradshaw threw in the towel at 35, after two injury plagued seasons.

- Johnny Unitas, whose longevity in the league is well-documented -- he played 17 seasons from 1956 to 1973 -- began to break down at 35. He only played in five games that year and didn’t start a single one. His play never recovered as he sludged through four more mediocre seasons with Baltimore before doing the unthinkable, leaving to sputter out in San Diego.

- Fran Tarkenton's decline came at 37 -- in 1977 he only played in nine games. He ended things the next season.

- Even Steve Young, who in essence got a late start after waiting for Montana to break down, had his last hurrah at age 37 before the concussions got to him.

The examples are endless: Joe Namath (34), Bart Starr (36), Roger Staubach (37), Jim Kelly (36), Otto Graham (34), Dan Fouts (36, dropped off at 35), Sammy Baugh (dropped off at 36 and fizzled until the end at 38), Len Dawson (dropped off at 34), Bob Griese (35) — it goes on and on.

At 34, George Blanda threw 36 touchdowns. At age 35, he threw 42 interceptions, the most ever in a season.

It is the natural course taken by almost all the greats — father time chimes in around age 35 or 36.

There are a few legendary quarterbacks who have had continued success past age 35, but they can be counted on one hand: Warren Moon, John Elway, Kurt Warner (late start) and Brett Favre.

http://www.neontommy...have-passed-him

-At age 36, Dan Marino saw his decline. His quarterback rating dropped to 80.7, his touchdowns plummeted to 17, and only in his rookie year did he produce fewer passing yards in a full season. He lasted two more seasons before retirement.

- Joe Montana's career may as well have ended at 35. His numbers plummeted in 1990 — just a year removed from one of the finest seasons ever put together by a QB (26 TDs and 8 INT in just 13 games with a 112.4 QB rating in 1989).

He played in one final game in San Francisco at age 36 before ending his career in mediocre fashion in Kansas City (two seasons, 29 combined touchdown passes).

- Troy Aikman’s demise occurred so abruptly at age 34 that he retired after tossing just 7 touchdowns against 14 interceptions in 2000.

- Terry Bradshaw threw in the towel at 35, after two injury plagued seasons.

- Johnny Unitas, whose longevity in the league is well-documented -- he played 17 seasons from 1956 to 1973 -- began to break down at 35. He only played in five games that year and didn’t start a single one. His play never recovered as he sludged through four more mediocre seasons with Baltimore before doing the unthinkable, leaving to sputter out in San Diego.

- Fran Tarkenton's decline came at 37 -- in 1977 he only played in nine games. He ended things the next season.

- Even Steve Young, who in essence got a late start after waiting for Montana to break down, had his last hurrah at age 37 before the concussions got to him.

The examples are endless: Joe Namath (34), Bart Starr (36), Roger Staubach (37), Jim Kelly (36), Otto Graham (34), Dan Fouts (36, dropped off at 35), Sammy Baugh (dropped off at 36 and fizzled until the end at 38), Len Dawson (dropped off at 34), Bob Griese (35) — it goes on and on.

At 34, George Blanda threw 36 touchdowns. At age 35, he threw 42 interceptions, the most ever in a season.

It is the natural course taken by almost all the greats — father time chimes in around age 35 or 36.

There are a few legendary quarterbacks who have had continued success past age 35, but they can be counted on one hand: Warren Moon, John Elway, Kurt Warner (late start) and Brett Favre.

so this is where you got your ideas from, copying someones opinion. what a joke (along with the article). aren't you the one that says facts are what matters? it looks like you are relying on someone's opinion here.

montana's last two years qb ratings were 87 and 84, just under his career avg of 92. he led the chiefs to playoffs both years (one afc championship game) and one pro bowl. how is this "mediocre"?

so this is where you got your ideas from, copying someones opinion. what a joke (along with the article). aren't you the one that says facts are what matters? it looks like you are relying on someone's opinion here.

montana's last two years qb ratings were 87 and 84, just under his career avg of 92. he led the chiefs to playoffs both years (one afc championship game) and one pro bowl. how is this "mediocre"?

Are any of the facts posted from the article not a fact?

Were Montana's 1990 numbers not significantly down from his 1989 season?

Are any of the facts posted from the article not a fact?

Were Montana's 1990 numbers not significantly down from his 1989 season?

they are correct, but they are just cherry picked to make the point the author wants. are my facts wrong?

yes, big deal. you are using the best year he had as the norm. 1988 was about the same as 1990 and guess what, he was YOUNGER!. you could use 1988 and 1989 and say he got BETTER with age. and then you conveniently forget about his years with kc.

this is what you have been doing all along.