Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bproland's Post-Combine Mock Offseason (March 6th)

Chris Ballard resigns: CBs Chris Milton & Pierre Desir, OLB Barkevious Mingo, OG Jack Mewhort, C Mike Person, TE Erik Swoope, LS Luke Rhodes.

Notable contracts - (Mewhort - 2 years, 10 mil) The other resignings I view as cheaper contracts. 

Free agency...

Indy signs ILB Anthony Hitchens (4 years, 24 mil) - Hitchens to Indy just makes too much sense right now. 

Indy signs OG Zach Fulton (4 years, 24 mil) - Fulton is from KC, which Ballard is familiar with, plus he won't break the bank as a free agent OG.

Indy signs WR Allen Robinson (4 years, 44 mil) Robinson is the big FA signing this year by Ballard, and he adds a much needed presence opposite Hilton at WR. 

Indy signs RB Dion Lewis (3 years, 13 mil) - Lewis gives Reich his Corey Clement type of back who is great at catching out of the backfield and moving all over the offense. 

Indy signs CB Kyle Fuller (3 years, 26 mil) - I'm all for getting a young talented CB who won't break the bank like Fuller to replace Melvin if he leaves via FA.

2018 NFL Draft...

-Indy trades 3rd overall pick to Cleveland for their 4th, 33rd overall picks. (This may be wishful thinking, but this would be a homerun trade down by Ballard. If Barkley lasts to the 3rd overall pick, Cleveland will want to make sure they get him to pair with their young franchise QB. Or if Barkley goes #1, Cleveland will want to ensure they get their guy at QB and have the added picks to do so.)

-Indy trades 4th overall pick and 2019 3rd round pick to NYJ for their 6th overall, 37th overall, and 3rd round pick. (Again, a bit wishful thinking but if Cousins goes to Minnesota, there could be a bidding war between Denver and the Jets.)

1st round (via NYJ - 6th overall) - DE Bradley Chubb (I think this is the perfect landing spot for him, since I have no doubt the Bucs would take him at 7 if he were there. I'm not so sure Chubb will get drafted by any of the top 6 teams, outside of Indy obviously. Indy gets their Joey Bosa type player to lead this defense and pass rush.)

2nd round (via Cleveland - 33rd overall) - OG Will Hernandez (Hope he lasts to this point, as he is being seen as a 1-2 round prospect. He could immediately start at LG or RG with Fulton/Mewhort battling for the other spot.) 

2nd round - DT Taven Bryan (Hopefully he lasts to this point, but he along with Chubb could make this front 4 elite. Bryan and Chubb, along with Hankins and Sheard, give Indy a young core that should be able to get consistent pressure on QBs as well as stopping the run.)

2nd round (via NYJ) - LB Rashaan Evans (Athletic and speedy, Evans gives Ballard a LB the Colts currently don't have. He could immediately start as the weak side LB.)

3rd round - LB Malik Jefferson (Another athletic LB, he along with Evans would give a much needed influx of talent at LB for Indy.)

3rd round (via NYJ) - OG/T Braden Smith (An underrated OL prospect, Smith could play either RG or RT in the NFL. He could compete with Haeg and Good to start at RT, or if Mewhort struggles to come back, and Fulton doesn't wow the coaches, he could start at RG.)

4th round - RB Rashaad Penny (The final piece for this trio of RBs Indy will now employ with Penny, Mack, and Lewis. Penny fills the Blount role, Mack fills the Ajayi role, and Lewis will fill the Clement role that Reich had in Philly.)

5th round - CB Adonis Alexander (A tall physical corner, he would give Ballard another corner with length to compete for playing time.)

6th round - WR Cedrick Wilson (Underrated WR who could compete for playing time as a #4 WR.) -I have the top 3 WRs as Hilton, Robinson, and Rogers. 

7th round - WR Quandree Henderson (He could entice Ballard simply because he could be a poor man's version of Tyreek Hill.)

Analysis - Ballard comes out of this draft with a huge improvement in the front 7, with the additions of Hitchens, Evans, and Jefferson at LB, and Chubb and Bryan at DL. This DL has the chance to become elite, which could in turn make the secondary elite by creating added pressure to opposing QBs.

OL is also much improved, by adding talent, experience, and depth. Smith can battle the starting RT spot with both Haeg and Good, while the rest of the OL is set with Castonzo, Hernandez, Kelly, and Fulton/Mewhort. And Ballard didn't have to break the bank to do so.

Finally, Ballard has a much better running game with the addition of Penny to go along with Mack and Lewis.  

I understand I added some things I'd like to see done, mostly referring to the trade downs, but Ballard hopefully is well thought out in this department, and gets players in the draft where they are valued to go, and not reaching on prospects. 

Your thoughts?

If the Colts did trade with the Jets, I don’t believe they would have to give up anything to get an extra 2nd and 3rd pick. In fact they likely could get both of the Jets’ 2nd rounders. Just saying. 

It just seems to me that if I did as many mocks as you did and the Colts never did anything that even came close to trading down as much as you do, I'd probably consider not wasting the time coming up with a hundred trade scenarios that your mocks always seem to include.  I mean it's your time, so by all means...

28 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

We'll agree to disagree then.

Sorry,  BP....

I owe you an apology....     I was distracted and my post was incomplete...

Your Free Agency section are mostly fine....    I have some issues with a couple of moves,  but on balance,  it's fine.

But it's the draft portion of the mock that's entirely built on wishful thinking.

1.    You have Ballard trading back TWICE, collecting a boat load of picks and still have the Colts picking 6th.    COULD it happen?    Yes.    Will it happen,  long shot,  which even YOU NOTED.

2.    Brad Chubb is STILL AVAILABLE at 6.    COULD it happen?   Yes.   Is it even likely to happen?   No.   Longshot.

3.    All three of your 2nd round picks are currently mocked as FIRST ROUND guys.    You have THREE FIRST ROUND PICKS miraculously falling to the 2nd round.    The chances that one of them fall are decent.    That two of them fall,   slim....     that ALL THREE of them fall?    Zerro.

4.   Rashaad Penny to the 4th.    Hey,  this is my preferred wish.   I hope it happens.   But he's more likely to go in the 2nd than the 4th and certainly the third than the 4th.     The 4th is possible,  but the chances are.....   slim.

5.   Cedric Wilson to the 6th round.    More likely in the 4th round.   The chance that he falls to the 6th in a very bad year for Wide Receivers in the draft is the longest of long shots.

This list would look even worse if I broke down #3 into three moves,  and not on big collection of moves.

The draft section is pure fantasy.    A Christmas list for Santa to hope that he delivers.     No reputable draft site would support this.     The only sites that might are sites like Walter Football or the computer mock simulations which you believe in.

Free Agency....   a Solid B....   maybe a B+

Draft...........        Right names in all the wrong places....   Just not at all realistic.    D-.      The enthusiasm keeps me from giving it an F.

Sorry....

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry,  BP....

I owe you an apology....     I was distracted and my post was incomplete...

Your Free Agency section are mostly fine....    I have some issues with a couple of moves,  but on balance,  it's fine.

But it's the draft portion of the mock that's entirely built on wishful thinking.

1.    You have Ballard trading back TWICE, collecting a boat load of picks and still have the Colts picking 6th.    COULD it happen?    Yes.    Will it happen,  long shot,  which even YOU NOTED.

2.    Brad Chubb is STILL AVAILABLE at 6.    COULD it happen?   Yes.   Is it even likely to happen?   No.   Longshot.

3.    All three of your 2nd round picks are currently mocked as FIRST ROUND guys.    You have THREE FIRST ROUND PICKS miraculously falling to the 2nd round.    The chances that one of them fall are decent.    That two of them fall,   slim....     that ALL THREE of them fall?    Zerro.

4.   Rashaad Penny to the 4th.    Hey,  this is my preferred wish.   I hope it happens.   But he's more likely to go in the 2nd than the 4th and certainly the third than the 4th.     The 4th is possible,  but the chances are.....   slim.

5.   Cedric Wilson to the 6th round.    More likely in the 4th round.   The chance that he falls to the 6th in a very bad year for Wide Receivers in the draft is the longest of long shots.

This list would look even worse if I broke down #3 into three moves,  and not on big collection of moves.

The draft section is pure fantasy.    A Christmas list for Santa to hope that he delivers.     No reputable draft site would support this.     The only sites that might are sites like Walter Football or the computer mock simulations which you believe in.

Free Agency....   a Solid B....   maybe a B+

Draft...........        Right names in all the wrong places....   Just not at all realistic.    D-.      The enthusiasm keeps me from giving it an F.

Sorry....

I guess I don't see it as far fetched as you then. We just saw a trade last year where Chicago moved up 1 spot and gave up a couple of 3rd rounders to do so. As for the Jets trade, they could very well be competing with Denver to get their guy at QB, and getting a 2nd and 3rd isn't crazy to me. 

For the drafted players, Hernandez, Bryan, and Evans are all projected to go round 1-2 from what I've read, meaning they could definitely last to the very early 2nd round. Is it a little wishful thinking, yes. It is impossible, far from it. 

With how deep this RB class is, which is probably better than last year's loaded class, talented RBs like Penny will last longer than expected. Hunt lasted to the 3rd last year remember. 

I just try to be on the more optimistic side of thinking when it comes to improving the Colts roster, and this offseason in my mind would certainly go a LONG ways to doing that. 

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I guess I don't see it as far fetched as you then. We just saw a trade last year where Chicago moved up 1 spot and gave up a couple of 3rd rounders to do so. As for the Jets trade, they could very well be competing with Denver to get their guy at QB, and getting a 2nd and 3rd isn't crazy to me. 

For the drafted players, Hernandez, Bryan, and Evans are all projected to go round 1-2 from what I've read, meaning they could definitely last to the very early 2nd round. Is it a little wishful thinking, yes. It is impossible, far from it. 

With how deep this RB class is, which is probably better than last year's loaded class, talented RBs like Penny will last longer than expected. Hunt lasted to the 3rd last year remember. 

I just try to be on the more optimistic side of thinking when it comes to improving the Colts roster, and this offseason in my mind would certainly go a LONG ways to doing that. 

Your last sentence pretty much says it all...     you're optimistic.

You're optimistic in every move.    All of the moves are possible.   But the odds that ALL OF THEM HAPPEN or even MOST of them happening are very, very small.   

At at some point being that optimistic becomes highly unrealistic.   And that's where we are.