Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett Evaluation

Zoltan

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Toward the latter portion of our season Jacoby was doing that G550. However, if you double cover Doyle & have DBs knock away the ball from Hilton...Who exactly is Brissett supposed to throw the ball to in order to have a snowball's chance of winning? 

I will give you he was doing better but there was still 3-5 plays a game where he would just hold on to it...break the pocket and throw it out of bounds even, just do something other than stand in one spot.  I guess I am a little spoiled from watching Peyton, but you never saw him stand flat footed in the pocket.  His feet were constantly moving.  I feel like Jacoby at times is just a stationary target.

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

Yeah and not being comfortable in the offense to know all his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th reads, and locking in on #1 option..Then the chemistry issue of not having training camp with his WR's ,and an injured mixmatched offensive line all made for an extremely difficult position to throw any QB into..

Exactly. Hell, Brissett didn't even know any of his team mates personally let alone have any chemistry with them.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

It's hard to go through any progressions with a 300 lb defensive player all over you.

All we need is better o-line blocking. Give Luck the time and he will find open receivers.

I would like to see more timing patterns. That would help him a bunch.

Timing patterns is not a strength of Luck's, or throwing players open..That played a big part in him taking a lot of unnecessary hits as well..He waited for receivers to break open instead of throwing to a spot...

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

Timing patterns is not a strength of Luck's, or throwing players open..That played a big part in him taking a lot of unnecessary hits as well..He waited for receivers to break open instead of throwing to a spot...

That is 100% correct. I been calling for timing patterns every since Luck was drafted.

I guess we just got spoiled all those years watching Peyton delivering the ball to receivers who hadn't put an eye on the ball till they made their break.

1 hour ago, gnet550 said:

I will give you he was doing better but there was still 3-5 plays a game where he would just hold on to it...break the pocket and throw it out of bounds even, just do something other than stand in one spot.  I guess I am a little spoiled from watching Peyton, but you never saw him stand flat footed in the pocket.  His feet were constantly moving.  I feel like Jacoby at times is just a stationary target.

That's fair. We all got spoiled watching Peyton very true. You know what I found Ironic? Elite QBs like 18 get praised for always keeping their feet moving while guys with only 1 season under their belt are referred to as having "happy feet" a perceived weakness by most foot analysts because the QB is looking for any excuse to run vs be a pocket passer. 

If JB runs & doesn't get a 1st down, he takes heat. If he throws to an open Moncrief & he drops the ball, fans say ah man Jacoby should have just run for it. Bummer. JB held onto the ball or patted it because he couldn't trust the open guy. You know, had reservations about are you gonna catch it or not? 

JB will improve under Frank. Trust me. 

11 hours ago, Introspect said:

Getting not just sacked 48 times, but getting hit after every pass by a 300lb monster would make anyone regress:angry:

8 hours ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Except Andrew Luck*

Regress OR  have career jeopardizing injuries..... I stand corrected sirO.o 

4 hours ago, Introspect said:

Regress OR  have career jeopardizing injuries..... I stand corrected sirO.o 

What it all boils down to is it takes team work to make things work. No QB in the league is going to look good when there is a breakdown at any position. It takes all 11 starters to work together to make things click. Pointing a finger at the QB without looking at the rest of the positions is being narrow minded. There is no perfect player, they all make mistakes at times. Add the fact the other team has pro players who are talented and are doing their jobs.

55 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What it all boils down to is it takes team work to make things work. No QB in the league is going to look good when there is a breakdown at any position. It takes all 11 starters to work together to make things click. Pointing a finger at the QB without looking at the rest of the positions is being narrow minded. There is no perfect player, they all make mistakes at times. Add the fact the other team has pro players who are talented and are doing their jobs.

Totally agree my friend. Thanks so much for having insight. Too many make it look like Jacoby was at fault for the poor performance. Football is the ultimate team game and the guy was doing the best he could with what he had to work with. 

From his combine profile, agree with these comments, both to the good and bad:

Generally accurate passer who excels in intermediate throws.  Needs to transition from always trying to fight through sacks to getting rid of the ball more quickly.

And disagree with this:

ability to pick up first downs with his feet.  

JB is not that quick of a runner.

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And disagree with this:

ability to pick up first downs with his feet.  

JB is not that quick of a runner.

Doesn't mean he's quick or fast, it means he can make plays with his feet. His spin move vs the Browns is the perfect example of something a guy like Tolzien can't do. Brissett probably isn't any faster than Tolzien, but his feet are more of a weapon, for sure.

23 hours ago, Colton Stenger said:

I'm one of the people that think Kirk Cousin's is an average starter who needs an offensive minded coach to succeed, He may prove me wrong this season though.

Here's the problem with that comparison: Cousins has produced at an elite level for several seasons now. Brissett hasn't come close to that. You're projecting Brissett, we have proof of concept with Cousins. 

And that's to say nothing of all the things Cousins does better than Brissett, IMO. 

9 hours ago, Superman said:

Doesn't mean he's quick or fast, it means he can make plays with his feet. His spin move vs the Browns is the perfect example of something a guy like Tolzien can't do. Brissett probably isn't any faster than Tolzien, but his feet are more of a weapon, for sure.

I agree with that.  Semantics maybe.  I'd put Brissett's ability to run for a first down similar to Case Keenum's.  He can do it better than the statuesque QBs, but I wouldn't put it in a written list of his qualities.  Keeping the requisite comparison to other black QBs, he's more Jameis Winston/Doug Williams/Warren Moon than Russell Wilson when it comes to making plays with his feet.

20 hours ago, Superman said:

Here's the problem with that comparison: Cousins has produced at an elite level for several seasons now. Brissett hasn't come close to that. You're projecting Brissett, we have proof of concept with Cousins. 

And that's to say nothing of all the things Cousins does better than Brissett, IMO. 

In my comparison I was saying I believe Brissett could become like Cousins in Output if he gets what Cousins had in Washington.

On 20/02/2018 at 1:08 PM, southwest1 said:

This article is total trash. Anybody got a lighter? First off, JB was essentially a rookie QB who had to learn whole new terminology in INDY drastically different from what Josh McDaniels ran in NE--The play calling I mean. Second, what the hades is this article doing mentioning how his passing/completion percentage pales in comparison to RW--A SB champion field general. No crap Sherlock. Then, they say or infer that Cam Newton who played in a SB in 2015 vs the Broncos is better than JB too. What? Wait. Don't you think that's a hugely unfair comparison? How many SBs has Cam gotten back to? If Superman is so great, what's the problem? 

Also, why are they mentioning Blaine Gabbert & Bridewater in closer proximity to JB's success rate? Bridgwater is recovering from surgery & hasn't played in quite awhile as a starter. While Blaine was kind of an afterthought NFL bust until Bruce Arians made him halfway descent again in AZ. 

The article mentions that he ran too much? Well, yeah because other than Doyle & Hilton which WR could actually complete a pass & not drop the darn ball? Moncreif really took a huge step back or regressed. In addition, chemistry takes time & you can't expect perfection when Tolzien sucked & INDY was forced to make essentially a emergency trade. 

Frank Reich will give JB the confidence to play better now & our WRs & TEs will understand what JB likes & vice versa on throws & route running. 

I'm not impressed with this story at all. A pathetic writeup intended to sabotage fans opinions on JB. Not an accurate assessment at all of the situation Jacoby fell into. 

Agreed

34 minutes ago, Colton Stenger said:

In my comparison I was saying I believe Brissett could become like Cousins in Output if he gets what Cousins had in Washington.

That is a very ambitious projection. I don't think Brissett is as good of a passer or has the traits as a passer that Cousins does. Release, accuracy, awareness, all go heavily in favor of Cousins.

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

That is a very ambitious projection. I don't think Brissett is as good of a passer or has the traits as a passer that Cousins does. Release, accuracy, awareness, all go heavily in favor of Cousins.

Shouldn't he have a couple season's in 1 offense before we make that decision..His awareness, and read and reaction are his weaknesses, but I'm not sure it's cause he can't get there..He can throw with the best of them..

15 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Shouldn't he have a couple season's in 1 offense before we make that decision..His awareness, and read and reaction are his weaknesses, but I'm not sure it's cause he can't get there..He can throw with the best of them..

I'm not optimistic that he's suddenly going to have a faster release, be more accurate, and develop greater awareness. The way he played for an entire season lined up with what the scouting reports said about him coming out.