Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We need an entire new set of off-ball linebackers

BlueShoe

Our existing off-ball linebacker crew is going to make it very challenging to move to a 4-3. We will probably need to replace all 3 positions through free agency and the draft. 

I am looking at our roster and trying to figure out who is going to play where. I got to tell you, I don't see a lot to work with.

George, Jeremiah

Grace, Jermaine

Morrison, Antonio

Walker, Anthony

Sankey, Darnell

Out of this group we need a WILL, a MIKE, and a SAM. 

There is no 43 MIKE on this roster. There is no way Morrison can play in a 43 defense at all. Can you imagine him dropping into coverage 50% of the time? I don't see him surviving for long. Logic says we need to give him a mercy cut so he can at least try to find another team.

The rumors about Anthony Hitchens make a ton of sense. This is a much bigger need than many people realize. 

Walker might be able to play SAM, but this is the temporary solution.

Maybe move George to WILL for now. Sadly, I think our best 43 WILL was tragically killed on Sunday by a drunk driver.

Maybe we repeat history (Cato June) and move Geathers to WILL. 

Yeah Geathers will play his natural, box safety role. Hitchens almost sounds like a sure thing, then again, McDaniels was a sure thing too. Personally, I believe Simon can play SAM in a limited capacity. I wouldn't want him playing TEs in man coverage, but as an edge setting, flat covering SAM I think he'd be decent. I'd bring back Bostic too. He wasn't great, but he far outplayed his contract and would be worth another year even giving him a raise. I'm gonna be beating on the 'Sign Avery Williamson' drum until free agency and we'll see how that goes, but I believe it's possible to make it work in one offseason with a combination of FAs and the draft. 

I thought Mingo and Simon played well. Don’t know how either would be in coverage. Mingo showed he had some wheels.

Sometimes, a new scheme makes all the difference. 

The thing I like about going to the 4-3 is, we have some beef and push up the middle, with Hankins, Woods and Stewart. It was what Polian said we lacked until Booger got there.

I believe Mingo could play weak or strong. Simon is agile enough for middle or strong and Geathers could play weak. Simon and Geathers  need to prove they can shake their injury problems. If we drafted Minkah Fitzpatrick it would allow us to move Geathers. 

I’ve been saying this since last season. People talk about our O-Line but at least you’ve got 2 decent starters there with Castonzo and Kelly. There’s nothing decent about our LB core, especially moving to a 4-3 now.

Hitchens should be a top priority in FA. In the draft we need to look for 2 other ILBs. Jerome Baker and Darius Leonard I feel would be great WILL’s. Maybe Walker at Sam but he’s not proven. If not Malik Jefferson or Josey Jewell would be great at SAM.

I also think Leighton Vander-Esch has huge potential as a MLB.

6 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I'd like to see them bring back Mingo on the cheap 

We definitely will be drafting/acquiring some LB's 

I agree....definitely bring him into camp....let the position group play out. If he is turning the corner in his career then you have a nice pick up...if not then you move on with a younger kid.

7 hours ago, atapcl said:

I believe Mingo could play weak or strong. Simon is agile enough for middle or strong and Geathers could play weak. Simon and Geathers  need to prove they can shake their injury problems. If we drafted Minkah Fitzpatrick it would allow us to move Geathers. 

I am very intrigued by this suggestion. Sometimes it takes the right fit to bring the talent out in a player. 

Mingo might be an absolute stud at SAM in this 43 zone defense. 

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Anyone think Farley starts at SS next year and Geathers only plays in special sub packages at lb? Also what is the possibility they might bring Bostic back. He looked like he was starting to play better as the year went along.

I think both Farley and Hooker are the starting safeties. 

Geathers is a logical choice for WILL. 

Mingo played in a 4-3 @ LSU. He was a good player in that defense. 

2 LBs i have been looking at in the draft are Uchenna Nwosu, USC and Shaun Dion Hamilton, Alabama.

If the Colts were to draft Minkah Fitzpatrick then move Geathers to WILL we would have a backend that could play the run & pass exceptionally well.