Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay Met With Peyton Last Week

MTC

Seems like you think Irsay's good on his word.

Remember this? How did that work out?

Good point. I will say that he was 'committed' to the Polians in week 8, and did stay true to his word, committed to them and the HC throughout the season.

I missed that because as soon as I would see an article written by BBS I automatically ignored it. He obviously had an agenda, and he writes like a 12 year old.

Back to the original discussion, I still say I'll listen to the two guys involved in the decision and ignore those just guessing. They may guess correctly, but at this point, it's still a guess.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless, somebody is going to have a lot of crow to eat no matter how this turns out

Actually, I think the only person to eat crow would be Irsay. And that's if the team doctors give him the green light. Peyton has thrown at several venues and probably will continue. If Irsay gets word that he looks good, and he's healthy, he's already on record saying he'll pay him.

He did backtrack by implying they may need to rework the contract, but he also qualified that.

Don't you think if PM was coming back they would go ahead and put it out there by now? There's been no movement. What could happen in the next 12 days that already hasn't happened that would make PM's miraculous return to Indy?

They're most likely trying to decide the ways to make this an amicable split so neither side gets beat up too bad from the media and looks like the bad guy.

No. No more so than someone saying, "Don't you think, that if he were going to be cut by now, that they would have announced it quickly so that both sides can move on and do what's best for everyone as a whole?"

Actually, I think the only person to eat crow would be Irsay. And that's if the team doctors give him the green light. Peyton has thrown at several venues and probably will continue. If Irsay gets word that he looks good, and he's healthy, he's already on record saying he'll pay him.

He did backtrack by implying they may need to rework the contract, but he also qualified that.

The only way he will not be eating crow is if we win a superbowl, with luck or with manning. He's in a tough spot, i'll give him that.

The only way he will not be eating crow is if we win a superbowl, with luck or with manning. He's in a tough spot, i'll give him that.

I don't get that at all. Has he said we're going to win a SB with either guy? Kind of hard to eat your words if you haven't said them.

I don't get that at all. Has he said we're going to win a SB with either guy? Kind of hard to eat your words if you haven't said them.

If he picks luck over manning then he is saying that luck is a better option for winning a superbowl. I'm pretty sure that's what every NFL team wants to do. Not all words are verbal, there is non-verbal communication

If he picks luck over manning then he is saying that luck is a better option for winning a superbowl. I'm pretty sure that's what every NFL team wants to do. Not all words are verbal, there is non-verbal communication

I get what you're saying. However, I think most people would say that if he picks Luck and releases Peyton he's looking out for the long term success of the team. Which is pretty much what he's said all along.

And Irsay said he wants Peyton back but he didnt say he wants him back at all costs. He is honest but he didn't tell everyone the full truth. The full truth is he really wants Peyton to retire so there's no way he can look like the bad guy. But he didnt say that.

Good point, I didn't think of that, hope you're wrong.

If Irsay doesn't think this team can win the superbowl with Manning this year, he'll go Luck. If he thinks this team could go all the way, he may go Manning.

If Irsay thinks this team can win the SB this upcoming year, he would not have said that the team was in rebuilding mode, nor would he have fired the FO, HC and most of the coaching staff. If it isn't broke, why fix it?

If Irsay thinks this team can win the SB this upcoming year, he would not have said that the team was in rebuilding mode, nor would he have fired the FO, HC and most of the coaching staff. If it isn't broke, why fix it?

I get the feeling he is trying to engage in a rebuilding mode without the typical downside to rebuilding. That is, years of trial and error before positive results show up.

I get the feeling he is trying to engage in a rebuilding mode without the typical downside to rebuilding. That is, years of trial and error before positive results show up.

Historically, have any team that has "achieved" the worst record in the past season ever even make it to the SB the following season?

How about after the owner started to rebuild that team, with a new FO, and coaching staff?

I was actually talking about the ‘experts’ and fans that are absolutely sure this or that is going to happen, but I agree with your point on Irsay as well. He seems to open his mouth and burps before he realizes what is happening. I guess that is why Polian was always the mouthpiece for the organization. Isray is definitely not good at speaking to the media. Hopefully Grigs gets more comfortable in front of the cameras in a hurry.

what really hurts the decision on manning is under the new cba. no one can see him throw but the medical staff and trainers. Then all they can do is report back to the g.m. hc. and Irsay what they seen.

I hate to keep repeating this, but I'm still not sure that's true. Here is where people are getting that:

"players are not permitted to participate in Club-supervised workouts, Club-supervised practices, group or individual meetings with coaches, group or individual film study with coaches, or group or individual playbook study with coaches"

I'm no lawyer, but to me the intent of that statement is to prevent teams from working out players outside of the dates agreed upon in the CBA. It doesn't say anything about a player volunteering to workout for the club in order to show he's healthy.

But even if the club officials aren't allowed to watch him, wouldn't they value the opinion of the trainers and medical staff? I assume they're professionals too and may even have a better eye than an owner.

still talking and watching him throw are 2 different things, send a scout or QB coach

Clyde Christensen

or arians who knows him well to Duke or UNC , whichever 1 he is practicing at

That would be great if they could. Problem is the new CBA doesn't allow a coach or anyone in upper management to have any type of contact with on his progess. Only medical staff can have contact and report back to upper management what his progress is.

Well this is certainly bad news. Just because they're meeting they can't possibly be making a deal. frown face. One commentator suggested that they're trying to figure out the best way for everyone to part on good terms. Good luck with that one.

That's crazy....

If The Colts are parting with Peyton....there's nothing to discuss.....

The fact that they are talking is good news...

I hate to keep repeating this, but I'm still not sure that's true. Here is where people are getting that:

"players are not permitted to participate in Club-supervised workouts, Club-supervised practices, group or individual meetings with coaches, group or individual film study with coaches, or group or individual playbook study with coaches"

I'm no lawyer, but to me the intent of that statement is to prevent teams from working out players outside of the dates agreed upon in the CBA. It doesn't say anything about a player volunteering to workout for the club in order to show he's healthy.

But even if the club officials aren't allowed to watch him, wouldn't they value the opinion of the trainers and medical staff? I assume they're professionals too and may even have a better eye than an owner.

This what I heard from the NFL network. I think they would know ( I hope)

They've met and talked a lot over the past while; he has said this many times. It was Grigs who said he hadn't met with Peyton until recently and when they did chat, it was just a quick 10 mins talk. Then, guys like La Confora extrapolate this and say Manning is isolated and feels alienated and doesn't want to be in Indy anymore and that there are tensions between the Colts and Peyton.

I absolutely cannot stand La Confora! He just spews random inaccurate mumbo jumbo half the time and always acts like he knows everything. I have stopped listening to him awhile back, wish the guy would change professions.

I absolutely cannot stand La Confora! He just spews random inaccurate mumbo jumbo half the time and always acts like he knows everything. I have stopped listening to him awhile back, wish the guy would change professions.

Yeah, NFL Network had a huge loss when Schefter left and La Confora came in. I don't like him very much either

Irsay has said he thinks Manning would handle the 2012 season much better than Luck or RG3. The coaching staff was broke and Irsay doesn't want the team relying on Peyton that much. Instead of covering up the holes with Manning's play, he probably wants to fill those holes.

You're right, there probably will be a backlash at first, but people will get over it and still support this team if they are real fans(I hate using that term, but it has proven to be warrented in the last month or so).

That's the biggest truth...

People say a lot of things when they come to a crossroads...

But once you make the decision which road you're taking...

...everybody pretty much sits back and hopes the driver knows where he's going..

That's the biggest truth...

People say a lot of things when they come to a crossroads...

But once you make the decision which road you're taking...

...everybody pretty much sits back and hopes the driver knows where he's going..

and you pick up the pieces and start over. lets face it, people may groan but the majority of people are not going to start over with a new NFL team. its not normal to do that.

and you pick up the pieces and start over. lets face it, people may groan but the majority of people are not going to start over with a new NFL team. its not normal to do that.

Am I wrong or is your avatar of Manning? I can't really tell... If so WHY DO YOU HATE Manning so much, I mean every post you have is get him out of here, Luck is the savior welcome to HOF Luck no need to even play

Am I wrong or is your avatar of Manning? I can't really tell... If so WHY DO YOU HATE Manning so much, I mean every post you have is get him out of here, Luck is the savior welcome to HOF Luck no need to even play

Seeing Luck start for the Colts does not mean you hate Manning.

It is very possible that Manning does not have enough arm strength to start.

It is very possible that Manning will not successfully negotiate a new deal with the Colts.

Luck has nothing to do with either of those.

Seeing Luck start for the Colts does not mean you hate Manning.

It is very possible that Manning does not have enough arm strength to start.

It is very possible that Manning will not successfully negotiate a new deal with the Colts.

Luck has nothing to do with either of those.

What if Manning does both though?

What if Manning does both though?

If Manning does both, he will most likely be starting for the Colts in 2012.

Now, the tough part comes....How do you see the probabilities falling?

Is it more likely that Manning will regain NFL-level arm strength before signing the new deal or not?

Is it more likely that Manning will successfully negotiate a new deal with the Colts, or not?

I see the probabilities are against both.

It's Unitas.

Don't go wishing he tears his ACL now. Won't do him any good anyway since he's dead.

If Manning does both, he will most likely be starting for the Colts in 2012.

Now, the tough part comes....How do you see the probabilities falling?

Is it more likely that Manning will regain NFL-level arm strength before signing the new deal or not?

Is it more likely that Manning will successfully negotiate a new deal with the Colts, or not?

I see the probabilities are against both.

The thing we do not really have a good feel for is the arm strength. Does Irsay need it to be 100% before signing a new deal or does he just need to see good progress that extrapolates out to 100% for the start of the season? Does the new deal cover any question marks with the arm, so the Colts will not have to worry about getting burned on the cap.... lets be honest the cap hit for an incentive based contract for Manning will not be big.... all his potential earnings will likely to be tagged as not likely to be earned. Of course those will affect the following season, but I suspect Irsay can make it work if he wants.

The I really do not know how this thing will pan out. People all have their strong opinions, but we are talking about two very odd ducks here. Neither one is a typical owner/athlete when it comes to things of this nature.

My gut tells me that Manning will be a Colt if he thinks he can play in 2012, but if that does not happen I will gladly welcome and cheer Luck or RG3.

Ok guys. You're right and 99% of the guys who know something on the inside of this situation and have more informed opinions on this are wrong. Peyton Manning is coming back, and he is gonna finish out his last 4 or 5 years here; and we are gonna sit a guy we take #1 overall for all of that time until master Peyton is ready to retire.

Well thats weird. Cause my source says that Peyton will recover from this injury and due to some freak healing will actually lose 10 years, thus making him equivalent to a 26 year old and thus giving us at least another 8-10 years of Manning.

(I can make up rumors to. Doesnt mean its true)

The thing we do not really have a good feel for is the arm strength. Does Irsay need it to be 100% before signing a new deal or does he just need to see good progress that extrapolates out to 100% for the start of the season? Does the new deal cover any question marks with the arm, so the Colts will not have to worry about getting burned on the cap.... lets be honest the cap hit for an incentive based contract for Manning will not be big.... all his potential earnings will likely to be tagged as not likely to be earned. Of course those will affect the following season, but I suspect Irsay can make it work if he wants.

I'm not so sure about the NLBTE incentives. Is starting one game a NLTBE incentive? How about attempting one pass? How about completing one pass? Technically, one can argue since PM did not achieve any of these last season, they are NLTBEs. However, I think someone in the NFL's office may disagree.

The I really do not know how this thing will pan out. People all have their strong opinions, but we are talking about two very odd ducks here. Neither one is a typical owner/athlete when it comes to things of this nature.

Neither do I. I don't know how any of this will pan out. But that does not stop me from attempting to attach probabilities.

My gut tells me that Manning will be a Colt if he thinks he can play in 2012, but if that does not happen I will gladly welcome and cheer Luck or RG3.

I don't see it that way. I see it that most likely, PM will not be a Colt in 2012.

I'm not so sure about the NLBTE incentives. Is starting one game a NLTBE incentive? How about attempting one pass? How about completing one pass? Technically, one can argue since PM did not achieve any of these last season, they are NLTBEs. However, I think someone in the NFL's office may disagree.

Brandt said that any individual incentives would be NLBTE since he did not play last year.

And, due to the fact that Manning did not play last season, these incentives would be NLTBE (not likely to be earned) and would not count against the Salary Cap until after the 2012 season.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Peyton-Predicament-Part-4.html