Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hopefully Bostic Injury Means We Get a Closer Look at Walker

Defjamz26

This was a guy I thought was going to be a steal for us. I know the biggest issue was that he put on too much muscle but his draft profile, college stats, and tape seemed to suggest that he could develop into an athletic coverage LB.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/anthony-walker jr.?id=2558015

I know he missed a couple games with injury but I’d be interested to see what he’s got if he gets to start. Guy ran a 4.65 at probably 240 lbs at the combine. It seems like his issue is what Azeem Victor is currently going through, where he’s put on weight and compromised his speed. Maybe the new staff can get him down to 230 in the offseason. I see us needing to draft 2 ILBs unless he shows something special these last 2 games. He’s got way more upside than Morrison though.

42 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

This was a guy I thought was going to be a steal for us. I know the biggest issue was that he put on too much muscle but his draft profile, college stats, and tape seemed to suggest that he could develop into an athletic coverage LB.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/anthony-walker jr.?id=2558015

I know he missed a couple games with injury but I’d be interested to see what he’s got if he gets to start. Guy ran a 4.65 at probably 240 lbs at the combine. It seems like his issue is what Azeem Victor is currently going through, where he’s put on weight and compromised his speed. Maybe the new staff can get him down to 230 in the offseason. I see us needing to draft 2 ILBs unless he shows something special these last 2 games. He’s got way more upside than Morrison though.

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere on this site that Walker will play much more the last two games, perhaps even start.  So I think we both get our wish..

As to two ILB's, with so many needs overall, I don't see us spending two picks on ILBs.    I'd guess draft one and sign one.  

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere on this site that Walker will play much more the last two games, perhaps even start.  So I think we both get our wish..

As to two ILB's, with so many needs overall, I don't see us spending two picks on ILBs.    I'd guess draft one and sign one.  

Let’s hope he does and performs well. But I think we have enough for 2 ILBs. I’m sure we’ll trade down at least once. 

33 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Let’s hope he does and performs well. But I think we have enough for 2 ILBs. I’m sure we’ll trade down at least once. 

Two points...   after all the moves that Ballard made in his first draft last year, what was the last position he addressed?

Inside linebacker, with Walker.

The other is a reminder that ILBs are the first to come off the field in sub-packages, and almost all teams are in sub-packages from 60-65 percent of the time.    It's a devalued position.    That's why I think buy one, draft one.

Remember,   Ballard is not going to fix this mess by September of 18.   More likely September of 19 or 20...

I hope I'm wrong and it's sooner, but I'm not seeing it.....

We may get a good look at #59 Jeremiah George as well.

Jeremiah George:

George attended Iowa State University... 

As a senior in 2013, George led the Big-12 in tackles with 133, becoming one of only three Cyclones to do so. He also led the team in tackles for loss (12.0), forced fumbles (3), sacks (3.5) and interceptions (2), and was named a first-team All-Big 12 selection

Anthony Walker:

Northwestern University

Walker was a first-team All-Big Ten and third-team AP All-American in 2015, leading the team with 122 tackles (16.5 for loss). He wasn't as productive in his second-team All-Big Ten junior season (105 tackles, 10 for loss), but he decided to leave for the NFL regardless.

I am sure Walker will get additional reps. From what I have seen so far, Walker is thinking too much out there. The game has not slowed down for him yet. We won’t know what we have with him until the game slows down, and he is able to play with instinct. 

Hopefully that happens over the final two weeks.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Two points...   after all the moves that Ballard made in his first draft last year, what was the last position he addressed?

Inside linebacker, with Walker.

The other is a reminder that ILBs are the first to come off the field in sub-packages, and almost all teams are in sub-packages from 60-65 percent of the time.    It's a devalued position.    That's why I think buy one, draft one.

Remember,   Ballard is not going to fix this mess by September of 18.   More likely September of 19 or 20...

I hope I'm wrong and it's sooner, but I'm not seeing it.....

You’re right. However one could argue that the value wasn’t there last year. There’s more depth this year. He could start looking around round 3.

And the sub package is exactly why Hassan Reddick went in the first. He can play in any alignment/package and doesn’t need to come off the field. Rashan Evans from Alabama is a good example. Not only is he fast and can play in coverage, but he also can rush off the edge effectively (like Reddick). We can draft those type of guys and get great value out of them because of flexibility.

8 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I am sure Walker will get additional reps. From what I have seen so far, Walker is thinking too much out there. The game has not slowed down for him yet. We won’t know what we have with him until the game slows down, and he is able to play with instinct. 

Hopefully that happens over the final two weeks.

That's my observation as well.  Hopefully it starts to click for him because I need to see much more.

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

You’re right. However one could argue that the value wasn’t there last year. There’s more depth this year. He could start looking around round 3.

And the sub package is exactly why Hassan Reddick went in the first. He can play in any alignment/package and doesn’t need to come off the field. Rashan Evans from Alabama is a good example. Not only is he fast and can play in coverage, but he also can rush off the edge effectively (like Reddick). We can draft those type of guys and get great value out of them because of flexibility.

Some thoughts...

First...   I'm confused...  why was there no value last year?    The 17 draft was one if the best defensive drafts of all-time.  That's why six of our eight picks went to that side of the ball.   There were quality kids deep into the draft..

Second...    yes,  guys like Tiddick last year and Evans last year are great and worthy of first round picks.   But I think it's easier to take those kids when the rest of your defense is very good and the ILB you're taking is closer to being the LAST piece of your defense and not one of the first as he would be with the Colts.

We just have soooo many needs...

Fun to be talking draft again!   :thmup:

I would LOVE  a sideline to sideline LB......draft me a young stud pass rusher and young stud ILB and I'll be happy on that side of the ball (of course with some FA attention). I know you can't address all the needs in one offseason but if we can trade back a small amount and land us OLB, LB, OT in the draft early I would be estatic! Then sprinkle in RB, WR, OG somewhere in the rest I would be so happy. I love athletic rangy LBs and would love to get a nice young stud to put in at RT and then move over to the left when we move on from AC most likely in 19. I honestly feel like the defense isn't far off. It lacks depth and wears down because of our offensive woes but it has shown it can get stops. If we can find an elite pass rusher and a 3 down athletic lb in the middle I think the young guys on the back end and the our big uglies up front can hold their own.....it's the offense that is further off and I think will need more FA help.

Yes I was happy the colts drafted him! Looking forward to seeing him play! When he did play last week hum looked a little lost early and then seemed to settle in. I agree would like to see George play to. Bostic has been good this year there was a noticeable drop off when he went out last week!  Morrison well honestly I thought he would be better this year, some improvement but I think this might be his ceiling which IMO isn't very good!

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm thinking this is correct. Draft one; another from Free agency. And if Walker pans out over the next couple of games, the position gets stronger yet. But let's remember that ILB is a major weakness for this team. They absolutely need an infusion of talent. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Some thoughts...

First...   I'm confused...  why was there no value last year?    The 17 draft was one if the best defensive drafts of all-time.  That's why six of our eight picks went to that side of the ball.   There were quality kids deep into the draft..

Second...    yes,  guys like Tiddick last year and Evans last year are great and worthy of first round picks.   But I think it's easier to take those kids when the rest of your defense is very good and the ILB you're taking is closer to being the LAST piece of your defense and not one of the first as he would be with the Colts.

We just have soooo many needs...

Fun to be talking draft again!   :thmup:

I meant depth in terms of ILB’s. 17 didn’t have much. The top 3 guys were Foster, Reddick, Davis, and McMillan. They all went in the first 2 rounds.

This year you’ve got R. Smith, Evans, Leonard, Smith from USC, Jewell, Thomas, Edmunds, Kiser, Edwards, Jefferson, Baker, Moore, etc... There’s not going to be as steep a drop in talent after the first round. That’s why I feel we could strike twice. 

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

More thoughts to share....

While I'm often ranting about ILB being a devalued position,  even I recognize what a mess our ILB situation is...   so for the first time since I've joined this community (May  '12) I've now mocked using a 3rd round pick on an ILB.   That's a top-100 player.   Normally I only want to use 4s and 5s on that position.   But we have to get this right.   

If we trade back back a little in the 1st to between 6-10 we will get a Day 2 pick giving us THREE top-100 picks that I think we will use all of them for defense.    So an OL in R1 and three defensive players in R2-3...    I see an OLB, an ILB, and Best defensive player regardless of position.   Maybe another corner.   Now the D has a nice infusion of young talent and we've addressed the crappy O-line..

Of course...  this is just me thinking out loud...  Maybe Ballard falls in love with Chubb and doesn't trade back?    Maybe he wants Williams and doesn't want to risk trading back and losing him?   All sorts of things could happen.   Who saw Hooker falling to us at 15?    

Exciting times!   Better days ahead!  :thmup:

Ideally, the Colts have at least one 3-down ILB who isn't a liability in pass coverage. It doesn't need to Luke Kuechly...but it needs to be a good player. Zach Brown could have been that guy the past two seasons...but oh well.

Going forward, I assume that guy will be found in the draft...with FA to supplement. But the ILB position is definitely one where you can get a lot of return if you are willing to invest a little. 

7 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Yes I was happy the colts drafted him! Looking forward to seeing him play! When he did play last week hum looked a little lost early and then seemed to settle in. I agree would like to see George play to. Bostic has been good this year there was a noticeable drop off when he went out last week!  Morrison well honestly I thought he would be better this year, some improvement but I think this might be his ceiling which IMO isn't very good!

Morrison is the type of LB that Pagano seems to love. Slow, phone booth 2 down LB. I don’t get it. Walker can be more if he gets his weight down. Morrison has graded out as the worst defender on our team according to PFF. He shouldn’t be starting.

24 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Morrison is the type of LB that Pagano seems to love. Slow, phone booth 2 down LB. I don’t get it. Walker can be more if he gets his weight down. Morrison has graded out as the worst defender on our team according to PFF. He shouldn’t be starting.

Not sure if Morrison is a Pagano guy,  or a Grigson guy.    I think he starts because we don't have better options.

He's been a disappointment, for sure.     It will be interesting to see if he survives the coming purge and makes the 18 roster?

14 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

If Morrison played like that I would be fine with it the problem is IMO is he has lost weight to move better but seems to have lost strength and is not very instinkful! I know it is popular to rag on Pagano here but in a 3/4 defense you need guys in the middle that hammer people ! It's not Pagonos fault the colts don't have them and that Unfoutantley he's the best option!

On 12/21/2017 at 6:47 PM, Defjamz26 said:

I think morrison started this year because edwin jackson didn't play this season hopefully we can get pound cake back

15 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

For anyone that watched the game closely, how did Walker look? Couldn't watch the game as closely as I would have liked at work because it was busy. Did they put him in coverage at all?

He had a few good tackles and a blocked punt that was pretty sweet (I think that was him).

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

For anyone that watched the game closely, how did Walker look? Couldn't watch the game as closely as I would have liked at work because it was busy. Did they put him in coverage at all?

Had a couple nice plays out there. Got beat in coverage a time or two but not killed. It was raining out there though.