Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AFC South title: Jaguars or Titans?

JaguarsWoman

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Jules said:

How terrible is that? My Goodness........the one year we fall to the gutter and two AFC South teams might make it in.

:facepalm:

I still trust the Jaguars though more for the postseason........

Jags have won a playoff game in Pittsburgh before too, I remember that. Sometimes they can suprise you once in a blue moon.

I definitely trust the Jaguars more in the playoffs, just because of their defense which is one of the best in the league. Also Mariota has fallen off since getting injured earlier in the season, believe it or not Bortles is actually the better QB this season.  Even though the Jaguars have had some bad losses to the Jets and Cardinals, they have mostly had a very good season. 

Someone brought up the fact that one of them will most likely have to face the Patriots in the playoffs.  Unless the Patriots face a one and done, the road to the Superbowl goes through them.  Honestly, I think the Jags have just as good of a chance of beating the Patriots as anyone in the AFC.  The AFC West is a joke no matter who wins that division.  The Patriots have the three headed monster of the Steelers completely figured out.  The Jaguars might have the one defense that can actually put pressure on Brady.  The only question is which Bortles/Jags offense shows up.  

4 hours ago, Corndog said:

I definitely trust the Jaguars more in the playoffs, just because of their defense which is one of the best in the league. Also Mariota has fallen off since getting injured earlier in the season, believe it or not Bortles is actually the better QB this season.  Even though the Jaguars have had some bad losses to the Jets and Cardinals, they have mostly had a very good season. 

Someone brought up the fact that one of them will most likely have to face the Patriots in the playoffs.  Unless the Patriots face a one and done, the road to the Superbowl goes through them.  Honestly, I think the Jags have just as good of a chance of beating the Patriots as anyone in the AFC.  The AFC West is a joke no matter who wins that division.  The Patriots have the three headed monster of the Steelers completely figured out.  The Jaguars might have the one defense that can actually put pressure on Brady.  The only question is which Bortles/Jags offense shows up.  

Nothing is farthest from the truth regarding the bolded. The Jaguars' weaknesses is pass catching RB and TE coverage, which is where the Patriots excel and the Steelers are deficient in. Steelers match up not so well vs the Jaguars, if you had to look at the Jags' D deeply. The Chargers, with their pass rush and sticky coverage, plus a passing offense that throws to WRs, TEs and RBs will challenge the Patriots more than any other team.

So, it is in the Jaguars' interest that they win the division and get the #3 seed to play the Steelers, most likely. The thing that can mess things a bit is the Ravens at #6. But then, the Ravens are not the same Ravens of before, to challenge the Patriots either. The Chargers are the most balanced team to challenge them.

I feel that the Seahawks beat the Jaguars thus giving the Jaguars an extra loss than the Titans going into the last game of the season. 

21 hours ago, chad72 said:

Nothing is farthest from the truth regarding the bolded. The Jaguars' weaknesses is pass catching RB and TE coverage, which is where the Patriots excel and the Steelers are deficient in. Steelers match up not so well vs the Jaguars, if you had to look at the Jags' D deeply. The Chargers, with their pass rush and sticky coverage, plus a passing offense that throws to WRs, TEs and RBs will challenge the Patriots more than any other team.

So, it is in the Jaguars' interest that they win the division and get the #3 seed to play the Steelers, most likely. The thing that can mess things a bit is the Ravens at #6. But then, the Ravens are not the same Ravens of before, to challenge the Patriots either. The Chargers are the most balanced team to challenge them.

I feel that the Seahawks beat the Jaguars thus giving the Jaguars an extra loss than the Titans going into the last game of the season. 

Jacksonville's biggest weakness on defense (stopping the run) seemed to be fixed by the Marcel Dareus trade. Then I saw Abry Jones start and Dareus come in the game later. That was a head-scratcher for me.

Week 5 was Jalen Ramsey's only bad day if you can say he had one this season. Antonio Brown had what, 184 yards on 7 catches that day? But that was before JuJu Smith-Schuster replaced Martavus Bryant on the depth chart, so I do not expect similar numbers in the playoffs if the Steelers and Jaguars meet.

I want the #3 seed because that would send the #6 seed to Jacksonville. Whether we go to New England or Pittsburgh next is not on my mind right now.

21 minutes ago, JaguarsWoman said:

BTW I don't know how Jacksonville can beat Seattle. We need to get Allen Hurns and Telvin Smith back.

The best possible matchup you can hope for in Round 1 is, hope you win the Division and the Titans are the Playoff opponent where you have HFA against them. You may think the Ravens will be easy because you beat them 44-7 but I don't see it that way. I would take the Ravens in that matchup because they got humiliated the 1st time and Flacco is solid in the Playoffs. Ravens D is playing great now too. Bottomline, I really don't think it matters in the AFC because nobody is beating the Pats anyway and Pitt is clearly the 2nd best team by a mile. The Colts 2014 team was much better than what the Jags and Titans have now and we got smoked by the Pats in the Title Game.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The best possible matchup you can hope for in Round 1 is, hope you win the Division and the Titans are the Playoff opponent where you have HFA against them. You may think the Ravens will be easy because you beat them 44-7 but I don't see it that way. I would take the Ravens in that matchup because they got humiliated the 1st time and Flacco is solid in the Playoffs. Ravens D is playing great now too. Bottom line, I really don't think it matters in the AFC because nobody is beating the Pats anyway and Pitt is clearly the 2nd best team by a mile. The Colts 2014 team was much better than what the Jags and Titans have now and we got smoked by the Pats in the Title Game.

It matters whether Jacksonville goes to New England or Pittsburgh.

I don't think a Ravens rematch would be another blowout but would pick them over the Chargers any day of the week.

3 minutes ago, JaguarsWoman said:

It matters whether Jacksonville goes to New England or Pittsburgh.

I don't think a Ravens rematch would be another blowout but would pick them over the Chargers any day of the week.

If the Chargers and Jags both win their Division you would avoid the Chargers. I do agree if you make it to Round 2 I would rather play Pitt over going to Foxboro.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If the Chargers and Jags both win their Division you would avoid the Chargers. I do agree if you make it to Round 2 I would rather play Pitt over going to Foxboro.

In that case I want the Chargers to win the AFCW and play against the Titans or Chiefs (because Ravens and Raiders are too easy). fBring Oakland to Jacksonville and my Jaguars should win, right?

29 minutes ago, JaguarsWoman said:

In that case I want the Chargers to win the AFCW and play against the Titans or Chiefs (because Ravens and Raiders are too easy). fBring Oakland to Jacksonville and my Jaguars should win, right?

Right now lets say Jacks wins the Division and Chargers win the West. We are probably looking at:

#1 Pats

#2 Pitt

#3 Jacks because they have a better record than the Chargers

vs

#6 Ravens at 7-5 right now

#4 Chargers if they win the West

vs

#5 Titans - they are 8-4 like you guys right now.

Chiefs and Raiders are both only 6-6, I think only 1 team makes the Playoffs from that Division. If It's Chargers who is also 6-6 they would be a 4 Seed as of now.

1 hour ago, JaguarsWoman said:

The current playoff picture shows the Chiefs win the West and Chargers are knocking on the door while the Bills have a better chance of getting in than the Raiders via HTH tiebreaker. So if only one West team gets in, the Bills could visit Jacksonville.

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture

Follow me closely, I know what the current Playoff picture is. I laid out a scenario above because you said you wanted to avoid the Chargers. So if the Chargers overtake the Chiefs then whoever wins the AFC West would be #4 as of now. So if Jacks wins the South they would be #3 and would play the Ravens who are 7-5 as of now. Titans are currently 3rd but if Jacks finished 3rd they would play the 6 Seed in Round 1 and that would be the Ravens.

-It will be more clear in a couple of weeks. At this point who knows who will play who?

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yes at least you avoid that. When Indy was getting in, I always knew we had at least a 50/50 chance to win that first one because we didn't have to play the Pats first.

Then it seemed to take forever for Peyton Manning to outduel Tom Brady.

4 hours ago, JaguarsWoman said:

The only thing predictable is everything is unpredictable.

1 hour ago, JaguarsWoman said:

Then it seemed to take forever for Peyton Manning to outduel Tom Brady.

Tom owned him from 2001-2004 but once Peyton figured out how to beat the Patriots he pretty much made up for it. Here is the head to head between Peyton vs Tom:

2001-2004 = Tom 6-0 including Playoffs, the Pats just had stacked teams. Tom got a huge jump on Peyton!

2005-2015 = Peyton 6-5, overall including Playoffs. Tom has him 11-6 overall but in the Playoffs Peyton has it 3-2. The defenses the Pats had from 2001-2004 were lethal.

-Maybe Blake Bortles can do something Andrew Luck hasn't been able to do, beat the Pats when it counts. At least Peyton has but not many do. Ben has never beat the Pats in the Playoffs either, he is 0-2.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tom owned him from 2001-2004 but once Peyton figured out how to beat the Patriots he pretty much made up for it. Here is the head to head between Peyton vs Tom:

2001-2004 = Tom 6-0 including Playoffs, the Pats just had stacked teams. Tom got a huge jump on Peyton!

2005-2015 = Peyton 6-5, overall including Playoffs. Tom has him 11-6 overall but in the Playoffs Peyton has it 3-2. The defenses the Pats had from 2001-2204 were lethal.

Until someone better than the two of them comes along, this will be a debate that can't and won't die.  We all have our opinions and to say one was substantially better than the other is insignificant and not provable by any means... not even realistic to bring it up.

The two teams were completely different and the better of the the two teams were usually the Patriots.  No question it played a roll in who won more games agains the other whether it was Tom or Peyton.  It really doesn't even matter.  It can always be argued that Peyton did more with less as we have all seen or heard, but it will get shot down (by Pats fans) regardless of how true it is.

Never has been any doubt as to who had the better head coach.  I want to hear the argument of how that didn't or doesn't  make a difference .... regardless of the 22 men on the field. 

In the end...... I am so glad that I was able to witness all of those super competitive grind-it-out games between the Pats and the Colts.... and the chess matches between two very good players, their coaches and teammates.  

Quite fun indeed.  Once in a lifetime situation.

5 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I am still trying to decide if you are a troll or not...

Keep posting please

AM all the way with that last comment but Peyton actually made up for his early losses. Pats fans know he was their scariest opponent. That was the best rivalry in the 2000's. I was at the 2009 game when BB went for it on 4th and 2. Great stuff!

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

AM all the way with that last comment but Peyton actually made up for his early losses. Pats fans know he was their scariest opponent. That was the best rivalry in the 2000's. I was at the 2009 game when BB went for it on 4th and 2. Great stuff!

That was a great game and a really good defensive stop!, and teams (especially Jack DelRio) did the 4th down conversion on us all year, lol...

is that the same game Peyton did a bootleg and ran (basically walked) it in?  Cant remember but that was cool too.

5 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

That was a great game and a really good defensive stop!, and teams (especially Jack DelRio) did the 4th down conversion on us all year, lol...

is that the same game Peyton did a bootleg and ran (basically walked) it in?  Cant remember but that was cool too.

Peyton hit Reggie for the game winner with 10 seconds left in 09. Oh yeah Del Rio and Fischer both used to always go for it on 4th haha. They knew they had to score.

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

I can only imagine that team with just an average QB 

Bortles, hate to say it, is an average QB if you give him a running game and D, that is what the Jags have accomplished indirectly, IMO. That is why he keeps getting chances. If it was Savage, he'd have been cut loose at this point. 

On 12/5/2017 at 7:42 PM, BR-549 said:

I am still trying to decide if you are a troll or not...

Keep posting please

It's amfootball I'm telling you.

Bortles was pretty freaking great today, and the rest of the Jags were really freaking great. They're the 1 surprise team who didn't lose to a team who is less than perfect but always playoff ready. The Vikings, Saints, and Rams lost. The Eagles didn't because they played the Rams but they did lose Wentz. It appears to all be falling into place, especially with Rodgers coming back. Surely they'll sneak in.

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Bortles, hate to say it, is an average QB if you give him a running game and D, that is what the Jags have accomplished indirectly, IMO. That is why he keeps getting chances. If it was Savage, he'd have been cut loose at this point. 

He's not average imo he's to inconsistent to be average

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

Heck of a win for the Jaguars, shut down Jimmy Graham and limited RW, would not have seen that coming.

Jimmy Graham left early with an injury. At one point all but two Seahawks rushing yards were by Russel Wilson.

A few plays were clearly "We miss Telvin" situations. Barry Church stopped running because he thought someone was coming to help him on a Seahawks TC. Later both Church and Tashaun Gipon were in the wrong places to tackles the ball carriers. I barely saw Blair Brown anywhere.

I got so sidetracked today by other games and news that I had not even noticed the Jags beat the Seahawks.-omg-

And the Titans lost to the Cardinals.-omg-12-7.........like, really?

The Cardinals are like ultimate spoilers this year for the AFC South.

8 hours ago, Jules said:

I got so sidetracked today by other games and news that I had not even noticed the Jags beat the Seahawks.-omg-

And the Titans lost to the Cardinals.-omg-12-7.........like, really?

The Cardinals are like ultimate spoilers this year for the AFC South.

The Cardinals play hard for Bruce Arians. Plus, Tyrann Mathieu being healthy and them finding a second above average corner opposite Patrick Peterson took half the season, all of those helps their D. Plus, Blaine Gabbert, like he saved one good game for the Colts, is good for 1 game a season and he played that vs the Jags, mainly because he was on a mission plus the Jags did not have enough game film on him. The next time, they'd pressure the heck out of him because he becomes like Scott Tolzien, when pressured. :)