Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defense and Turnovers this preseason

ColtsBlitz

Turnovers turnovers turnovers. 

The preseason has shown that the Colts definitely seem better at taking the ball away. In 3/4 preseason games on the first drive of the game, starters vs starters (mostly, and excluding game 4) our defense caused a turnover. Game 1 vs the Lions? Interception forced by Davis caught by Simon.

The Cowboys game was the only game we didn't force a turnover on the opening drive, but the defense forced a fumble on the 2nd drive of the game still with mostly all starters in the game. It was however McFadden and not Ezekiel Elliot, so not the same magnitude there. 

Week 3 against the Steelers- John Simon brings a solid opening drive by the Steelers to a close with a strip sack of Ben Roethlisberger. 

Week 4 against the Bengals- Forced fumble recovered by Lee Hightower. Don't know who actually stripped it, but add it to the total count of turnovers this preseason. 

Overall?  The Colts defense created 7 turnovers in 4 games, 2 against opposing starting quarterbacks on the opening drive.

In a 16 game season with the same turnover rate, the Colts would have 28 by seasons end. This isn't an accurate way to predict what would happen with starters in a 60 minute game, but it's definitely more productivity on that side of the ball than last year. 

Hmm, a post congratulating the players, and by extension the coaching staff, for shown improvement. I dont know how I feel about this.  This must be how Dorothy felt upon arrival in Oz.  Confused...afraid....optimistic but cautiously so. 

Thank you ColtsBlitz. I too have seen this improvement. Our players are much more opportunistic and patient. We may lose a lot of yardage, but if we can create game changing momentum swinging turnovers I'm all for it. Not only that, but the last two games we have held teams to field goals.

We aren't going to be top 10 in defense. But I really see that we should be much better in at least helping the offense win games this year. 

All in all. I don't think our defense has changed all that much. 

We've gotten a little better getting pressure, but not that much to make a big difference.

Our run defense is still suspect (may prove me wrong in regular season).

Did our OL get better? Who knows.

Chuck Pagano is still our Head Coach somehow.

All in all, same team different season.

The only optimistic thing about our defense are the Turnovers.  Without that, I'd think it was the same ole defense. Teams, drove down the field on us at will.

I know it's only preseason, but the teams constant problems remains relevant.

In the end, I don't expect much from the team this year.

They haven't shown me anything to prove otherwise.

I'm just gonna watch the progression of Mack this year.

10 minutes ago, Johnny Bui said:

All in all. I don't think our defense has changed all that much. 

We've gotten a little better getting pressure, but not that much to make a big difference.

Our run defense is still suspect (may prove me wrong in regular season).

Did our OL get better? Who knows.

Chuck Pagano is still our Head Coach somehow.

All in all, same team different season.

The only optimistic thing about our defense are the Turnovers.  Without that, I'd think it was the same ole defense. Teams, drove down the field on us at will.

I know it's only preseason, but the teams constant problems remains relevant.

In the end, I don't expect much from the team this year.

They haven't shown me anything to prove otherwise.

I'm just gonna watch the progression of Mack this year.

I completely disagree. I think this defense has done a great job at being more aggressive and physical then in years past especially the first team defense without a lot of starters like geathers hooker and Hankins. Yes offensives marched on us, but we our first team defense only allowed 13 points in three games

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I completely disagree. I think this defense has done a great job at being more aggressive and physical then in years past especially the first team defense without a lot of starters like geathers hooker and Hankins. Yes offensives marched on us, but we our first team defense only allowed 13 points in three games

I agree!  If you watch our first team D, who still have people missing that will play week 1 more than likely, and you think they are not playing well you are crazy.  This is D that was quickly thrown together and they have showed promise in very limited time.  I will be happy if they continue to do what they do.

The defense has been a pleasant surprise.  I hope it carries over into the regular season.  The defense will need to win the season opener against the Rams imo.  When was the last year the Colts won a season opener?  Was it against the Raiders in 2013?  Before that I am not sure!  It sure would be nice to start 1-0!

30 minutes ago, CR91 said:

And 2 of those games were against the Steelers and cowboys, both potent offenses that are not being rebuilt on the fly.

4 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Thank you ColtsBlitz. I too have seen this improvement. Our players are much more opportunistic and patient. We may lose a lot of yardage, but if we can create game changing momentum swinging turnovers I'm all for it. Not only that, but the last two games we have held teams to field goals.

We aren't going to be top 10 in defense. But I really see that we should be much better in at least helping the offense win games this year. 

I enjoy being a part of this forum. I've seen all the negativity, and decided it's time for a bit of positive outlook for the season. Turnovers win and lose games. I don't know other teams turnover ratio, but +5 (right?) has to be among the top teams this preseason. It may be preseason, but EVERY team is playing backups. Once Luck gets back on track, we will be a team to beat in my opinion.

This has gone largely untoiced due to QB-gate and all the other injuries.  Ballard said he wanted this to be a focus and so far mission accomplishment.  If the defense keeps performing like this in the turnover department and just importantly the offense protects the ball the Colts are going to have chances to win games no matter who the QB is.  

14 hours ago, J@son said:

And 2 of those games were against the Steelers and cowboys, both potent offenses that are not being rebuilt on the fly.

I am always cautions to put too much into the pre-season because most good teams play it extremely vanilla in the pre-season and you don't really see their true offense.

with that said all we have to go on right now is the pre-season and no question about it the defense held its own.  

I still worry about the secondary though.  They have been decimated by injuries.  The fact they have gotten turnovers is encouraging but at times they also looked like they couldn't stop you or me from completing a pass on them.  Still I really like what I have seen from the front seven so far.

Hard to say about the defense. Saw some aggressiveness but not enough.  Our containment on the perimeter is weak no one turning runners back to inside.still too much arm reaching and shoulder diving, especially with older secondary  players.  Like #21 but spends too much time being injured. His good hits puts him back on bench with injury.,therefore, his All-Pro accolades don't help.  #20 almost the same. Hope #29 will not follow the injury train.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:19 AM, J@son said:

I wouldn't use the Cowboys as an example of the first team defense playing well in pre-season.  Dallas was crushing the first team defense on the first two drives to the tune of 150 yards on about 12 plays before fumbling inside the 10.    The turnover by the D was nice, but the Cowboys were getting chunk yards almost every play for the first two drives against the first team defense.

I'm hopeful for the defense and feel they could surprise as the season progresses, but the start of the Cowboys game gave me pause.

3 hours ago, ponyboy said:

I wouldn't use the Cowboys as an example of the first team defense playing well in pre-season.  Dallas was crushing the first team defense on the first two drives to the tune of 150 yards on about 12 plays before fumbling inside the 10.    The turnover by the D was nice, but the Cowboys were getting chunk yards almost every play for the first two drives against the first team defense.

I'm hopeful for the defense and feel they could surprise as the season progresses, but the start of the Cowboys game gave me pause.

But how many points were given up? 

20 minutes ago, J@son said:

But how many points were given up? 

7 points on a 78 yard drive. Followed by 75 yards, then a fumble inside the 10 on the second drive.   The strip by Simon was about the only encouraging play on those opening drives.  You were praising the defense against the cowboys 1st team, and I just didnt see it in those two drives with the 1st team.  Did you see the game?

29 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

7 points on a 78 yard drive. Followed by 75 yards, then a fumble inside the 10 on the second drive.   The strip by Simon was about the only encouraging play on those opening drives.  You were praising the defense against the cowboys 1st team, and I just didnt see it in those two drives with the 1st team.  Did you see the game?

No, that's not really what I was saying. One poster pointed out the first team defense allowed only 13 points in 3 games. My point was simply that 2 of those 3 games were against the cowboys and Steelers, 2 of the better offenses in the league. 

Btw, did YOU see the game because technically the first team D only played the first drive. Luke Rhodes was at MIKE on the next 2 drives and hes not even second string. Btw, he was responsible for several of the bigger gains the cowboys had in those 2 drives.