Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darrelle Revis

I forgot that he's still on the market as a free agent. I know he didn't have the best season last year and he admitted to playing out of shape. The guy is probably one of the best corners of all time in his prime and I always respected how he could put receivers on 'Revis Island' and shut guys down by matching up with them one on one. I don't see the Colts winning it all this year, but would anyone on here be willing to give Revis a fair two year deal with incentives in hope he can still play at a high level? He and Davis mentor our young corners and if Revis comes back healthy and in shape, he would already be on our roster for the 2018 season (A season that I believe if the Colts play their cards right, can possibly make a run for the SB.) I would move him all over the field and have him cover some of the more talent receivers if he entered the season healthy and able to produce on the field.

I know 98% of people on here will disagree with me and I completely understand your login. This is just a random thought I was thinking about last night. I always wanted to see Revis play for the Shue.

9 hours ago, Imrryr said:

Unfortunately he no longer plays at that level and it goes against Ballard's free agency tendencies.

Yeah I would have to concur with this.  Although on a cheap 1-year deal I don't think it would be so bad if for nothing else to pass on all of his knowledge to the young guns, but I don't see CB making a run for a guy over 30, and we now have a good vet in Vontae that these "kids" can learn plenty from.

No, I think going after past their prime vet players is what hurt the Colts the last couple years.  

No player is going to admit openly until they are fully retired that they couldn't play at a high level because age finally caught up with them.  

Age caught up with Revis.  He's not going to admit that til he's no longer trying to get a job.  

IF he were willing to take a vet minimum salary and compete for a spot that might end up being first, second, third or forth corner, then and only then he would be worth a look in my opinion

knowing what we do about him, i think he would rather retire than accept those terms

some type of incentive contract could be interesting here too, but its hard to rack up stats as a CB.  some times incentive contracts go by snaps played, but i dont think that would be a good idea here.  we saw a lot of guys play a lot of snaps last year even though they sucked

On 7/17/2017 at 0:40 PM, Colt-King21 said:

He and Davis mentor our young corners

i dont think revis is known for being much of a mentor

this may upset some people, but i think he is actually kind of a jerk

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 0:02 PM, aaron11 said:

IF he were willing to take a vet minimum salary and compete for a spot that might end up being first, second, third or forth corner, then and only then he would be worth a look in my opinion

knowing what we do about him, i think he would rather retire than accept those terms

some type of incentive contract could be interesting here too, but its hard to rack up stats as a CB.  some times incentive contracts go by snaps played, but i dont think that would be a good idea here.  we saw a lot of guys play a lot of snaps last year even though they sucked

He isn't taking the vet minimum. He is guaranteed 6 million from the Jets no matter what.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/06/revis-can-reject-offers-for-less-than-6-million-without-consequence/

So someone would have to pay him more than 6 million just to play for free in reality. Here is a link outlining it. The only team that wins if Revis plays is the Jets....because every dollar he signs for offsets them. So Revis doesn't make out and nor would the suckers that sign him because he is past his prime.....Pats were super smart to recognize he was about finished and paid a premium to just rent him for one of his final good years then let him get over paid by the Jets again.

All this means is no...he isn't signing with the Colts and I doubt he ever plays again.

Trust me, I don't blame anyone for saying no because of his age and possible asking price.

I respect the need to get younger and Ballard has done a tremendous job in getting our team not only younger, but more competitive across the board.

But what if the Colts took a chance on him on let's just say a two year deal worth $12

Darrell Revis returns to form and is able to hold down his side of the field and is able to bring Revis Island to Indianapolis (Who also has Vontae Davis under contract through 2017)

This will allow the Colts to place Quincy Wilson in the nickel role to give him time to grow. If the Colts bring Davis back on a short deal and draft or sign another young corner, we would be entering the 2018 season with both Revis and Davis under contract, a second year Wilson and possible our CB for the future.

If the Colts allow Davis to walk.. I really don't know who is going to be our starting corners after next season. If we draft one. What are the odds the guy will be as good as Davis? Great corners are rare and that's why I'm hoping we keep Davis on a short two year deal and continue to mold that position.