Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Save Peyton

DILLIGAFER

Are you willing to take that risk on trading the pick, without knowing if Peyton's nerve is back?

And if Peyton's nerve isn't back, are we relegated to the Painter/Collins/Orlovsky plan again?

well the draft is months away...so we may know a lot more by then. And if we get multiple picks this year and next year, it would be pretty easy to take a QB either year.

I do think Luck is the best QB prospect...but i dont think he will be the last good QB to enter the NFL Draft

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think Luck is the best QB prospect...but i dont think he will be the last good QB to enter the NFL Draft

To me, that's not the point. The point is that, in order to have a shot at drafting a top prospect, like Luck (or Barkley next year, or Newton last year, or Bradford the year before, and so on), you have to have a year like we just had. So, unless we're going to have another 2-14 season, it doesn't make sense to pass on Luck. You get a shot at drafting a great QB prospect once every 10 years. Take it.

well the draft is months away...so we may know a lot more by then. And if we get multiple picks this year and next year, it would be pretty easy to take a QB either year.

So you don't believe the scouts and their rating of Luck as the best QB prospect since PM?

If you did, you would not expect another QB of like quality in another 13-14 years, on average.

LOL, I bet you thought it was good only as far as I agreed with you.

LOL, me? You consider me a spearhead of the anti-manning pro-luck movement? You are deluding yourself. I am a Colts fan, first and foremost. Just because I can see reality, it doesn't make me an anti-manning person, or a pro-luck person.

I think it is an ad hominem to accuse me of narcissism. It is probably against the TOS.

Sorry to disagree with you again. I see no problems with questioning everything. Is it prohibited to question if I am new? I am a Colts fan first and foremost, and I see the Cotls as a team, larger and more important than any of its players. I am interested in the long term success of the Colts.

I accused you of narcissism? Where do you interpret that? You must really want to report me cause you were questioned. If you can question someone then I will question you, nice how you danced around the question.

I accused you of narcissism? Where do you interpret that?

Here, when you said:

Very interesting who you are a fan of yourself.

You must really want to report me cause you were questioned. If you can question someone then I will question you, nice how you danced around the question.

No, I have not reported you.

I agree.

Montana and Young was awkward. it worked!

Favre and Roders was awkward. it worked.

This situation possibly has never come up before.

If I had to take a "risk" with only 1, I'd have to go with Luck.

The nerve issue is just too uncertain, and its time to plan for the future decade.

Look at this year's playoffs.... lots of poor running games and poor defenses. But almost all had very good QB play. The league is driven by the passing game.

However, if its at all possible, I'd like Peyton to "try" to make it back on the field in a Colts uniform.

If we can get around the 28M, like other teams would (by releasing him), I think a deal is doable.

They will make it work.

Heck, we also had a "world-beater" Hughes at DE behind Freeney and mathis. haha

I wouldn't say Favre and Rodgers worked, it was drama filled, and they had to shove Favre off before he was done playing at a high level. The Packers had a talented team at the time, so with Favre they might have been able to win the Super Bowl. And Young was playing poorly with Tampa Bay for a couple of years so he was traded to be Joe Montana's backup. That's quite a bit different that being a #1 NFL draft pick.

And your comment about last years playoffs is very off. Driven by the passing game? I seem to remember that the Super Bowl had the 2 highest ranked defenses in the league, with the Packers having the #1 ranked defense. Offenses win games, defenses win championships.

I am a very emotional fan. If Peyton plays and plays well all this crazy talk will go away. If we lose Peyton to another team he will kick our butts for the next 4 to 5 years and show everybody how crazy Irsay was for letting him walk. He even said he is flexible with his contract how do you let a player like this go????

I want Peyton. I want nothing to do with his contract They are tied together. Dislike of the contract outweighs like of the player. I'm sorry. Unless Peyton proves beyond the shadow of a doubt he is 95-100%, He needs to be released. His contract is 90 megaton bomb that can only blow up the Colts franchise, not any other team. He has stated he will sign a low slary, high incentive deal , just for anotherr team and not with the Colts (that I have heard). Until I see change on the landscape, that is where my desire rests.

Here is my thought in regard to this issue. Personally, I think option 1 is for P to retire. He has had one of, if not the best career of any QB in history (less the multiple rings). His value was proven this past year, which I'm sure has been talked about on these boards plenty. This isn't an ACL, this isn't a concussion issue (although ALS or other conditions related to head trauma are no joke), this is a neck injury, he has a family to think about, in the end though, it is his choice. If he does come back, and this recent talk of a new performance based contract is a reality, I think we should retain him for a year or 2 and draft Andrew.

The reason is simple, and if you've watched ANY Standford games over the past 2 years, you should understand my reasoning. Stanfords offense is EXTREMELY simple and hitting the NFL on the heels of running that show will make P's rookie year look like an undefeated season....It wasn't but a decade ago that rookie QB's were expected to sit and learn, fortunately our current crop of Rookie QB's are able to overcome complex offensive schemes one of 2 ways, by utilizing their incredible athletic ability (Cam), or running a super simplified offense. Again, neither of those solutions have proved to work long term. Look at the way Vick slowly fell off before his prison term and look at the difference from last year to this, after the NFL had a chance to adjust again. Secondly, look at Joe Flacco, he was supposed to be a beast, but he's 2 steps above a Trent Dilfer solely because he never got the head start that most NORMAL QB's need to pick up a complex offense and because the Baltimore defense has been so good for so long, the organization has never seen it necessary to revamp their offensive strategy.

Look at the Elite QB's in this league and keep this in mind

1. Brady - Sat Rookie Season

2. Rodgers - Sat 3 Years

3. Brees - Sat Rookie Season

4. Rivers - Sat 2 Years (Yes I know he was awful this year)

5. Eli / P - Started from Day 1

6. Big Ben - Started from Day 1

Conclusion - Unless your a manning or you have the Steelers defense to back you up...take it easy..sit back and learn.

To me, that's not the point. The point is that, in order to have a shot at drafting a top prospect, like Luck (or Barkley next year, or Newton last year, or Bradford the year before, and so on), you have to have a year like we just had. So, unless we're going to have another 2-14 season, it doesn't make sense to pass on Luck. You get a shot at drafting a great QB prospect once every 10 years. Take it.

well after this bad season, even if we DO trade the #1 pick, we will have MULTIPLE first and likely second round picks again next year...would make it very easy to trade up if need be to get the guy you like.

Basically, would you trade Luck in order to have, say... Morris Claiborne, David DeCastro, Mark Barron and Brandon Thompson this year plus Matt Barkley next year? if we get multiple first and multiple second round picks, we could feasibly do just that with the picks...or insert whichever players in this draft that you would rather have with the picks.

Its definitely something worth thinking about

Here is my thought in regard to this issue. Personally, I think option 1 is for P to retire. He has had one of, if not the best career of any QB in history (less the multiple rings). His value was proven this past year, which I'm sure has been talked about on these boards plenty. This isn't an ACL, this isn't a concussion issue (although ALS or other conditions related to head trauma are no joke), this is a neck injury, he has a family to think about, in the end though, it is his choice. If he does come back, and this recent talk of a new performance based contract is a reality, I think we should retain him for a year or 2 and draft Andrew.

The reason is simple, and if you've watched ANY Standford games over the past 2 years, you should understand my reasoning. Stanfords offense is EXTREMELY simple and hitting the NFL on the heels of running that show will make P's rookie year look like an undefeated season....It wasn't but a decade ago that rookie QB's were expected to sit and learn, fortunately our current crop of Rookie QB's are able to overcome complex offensive schemes one of 2 ways, by utilizing their incredible athletic ability (Cam), or running a super simplified offense. Again, neither of those solutions have proved to work long term. Look at the way Vick slowly fell off before his prison term and look at the difference from last year to this, after the NFL had a chance to adjust again. Secondly, look at Joe Flacco, he was supposed to be a beast, but he's 2 steps above a Trent Dilfer solely because he never got the head start that most NORMAL QB's need to pick up a complex offense and because the Baltimore defense has been so good for so long, the organization has never seen it necessary to revamp their offensive strategy.

Look at the Elite QB's in this league and keep this in mind

1. Brady - Sat Rookie Season

2. Rodgers - Sat 3 Years

3. Brees - Sat Rookie Season

4. Rivers - Sat 2 Years (Yes I know he was awful this year)

5. Eli / P - Started from Day 1

6. Big Ben - Started from Day 1

Conclusion - Unless your a manning or you have the Steelers defense to back you up...take it easy..sit back and learn.

Eli didnt start from day one...Kurt Warner was the starter for the Giants that year on opening day

So you don't believe the scouts and their rating of Luck as the best QB prospect since PM?

If you did, you would not expect another QB of like quality in another 13-14 years, on average.

there you go again with your poor ability to comprehend what you read. i clearly said that i DO think Luck is the best QB prospect, and that i would like to have him on the team. But my point, for argument sake was this:

If we can have a healthy Peyton Manning for the next 4-5 yrs, it could work out pretty well if we DID trade the pick. We could likely have multiple first and multiple second round picks this year and again next year....with those picks, for example, we could take: Justin Blackmon and David DeCastro with our two 1st rounders and Dre Kirkpatrick and Dontari Poe with our two 2nd rounders...then next year trade our two 1st rounders and draft Matt Barkely....or we can keep the #1 pick this year and just draft Andrew Luck.

there you go again with your poor ability to comprehend what you read. i clearly said that i DO think Luck is the best QB prospect, and that i would like to have him on the team. But my point, for argument sake was this:

If we can have a healthy Peyton Manning for the next 4-5 yrs, it could work out pretty well if we DID trade the pick. We could likely have multiple first and multiple second round picks this year and again next year....with those picks, for example, we could take: Justin Blackmon and David DeCastro with our two 1st rounders and Dre Kirkpatrick and Dontari Poe with our two 2nd rounders...then next year trade our two 1st rounders and draft Matt Barkely....or we can keep the #1 pick this year and just draft Andrew Luck.

I am not mis-comprehending you. You are not answering my question.

I asked you if you believed the scouts and their rating of Luck as the best QB prospect since PM?

You still have not answered it. A yes or a no will suffice.

Do you believe the scouts and their rating of Luck as the best QB prospect since PM?

yeah, that worked well for oakland, San fran, houston, san diego (leaf :) even bradford and stafford, although talented, still haven't proven anything.

*stafford just lobs it up to megatron, luckiest QB in the league to have him.*

There a a lot of guys who worked out well not picked at top 1-2

big ben, brees, brady, dolton, rodgers - all not top 3 or less

You are the one that posted it on a public forum....

I bet 90% of Colts Nation want him back, even a poll on here ( which got out of control and mod deleted) had 70% had people voting that not keeping manning would be a bigger mistake than letting him go.

And thats a lot, considering every Luck Lover in IN belongs to this forum. I still have yet to meet one in real life.

I bet we never hear PM say "Indy owes it to me to keep me in Indy!" Why do so many fans feel like saying we owe it to Manning is a legitimate case to make? We don't owe him anything, that's why we pay him money... He goes out and wins games for us and what do we give him in return? We make him the highest paid player in the NFL. If organizations signed players and kept them around out of pure respect it would be a much less competitive league.

I bet we never hear PM say "Indy owes it to me to keep me in Indy!" Why do so many fans feel like saying we owe it to Manning is a legitimate case to make? We don't owe him anything, that's why we pay him money... He goes out and wins games for us and what do we give him in return? We make him the highest paid player in the NFL. If organizations signed players and kept them around out of pure respect it would be a much less competitive league.

your saying that you don't think his triceps will heal? I'm saying it will. that's basically it. There is not other real thing to argue about.

your saying that you don't think his triceps will heal? I'm saying it will. that's basically it. There is not other real thing to argue about.

I in no shape or form said anything pertaining to one of your prior comments. I haven't even read any of your comments. Therefore, I never said anything at all about Peyton's health. If you read what I said I'm mearly stating my opinion on people who say "we owe it to Peyton" to keep him.

I am not mis-comprehending you. You are not answering my question.

I asked you if you believed the scouts and their rating of Luck as the best QB prospect since PM?

You still have not answered it. A yes or a no will suffice.

Do you believe the scouts and their rating of Luck as the best QB prospect since PM?

Well the "scouts" arent saying that he's the best prospect since Peyton, they are saying he's the best prospect since Elway. Do i think he will be good? Definitely. Do i think he will be better than Peyton? Nope.

If you look at Kiper's ratings, he also had Matt Ryan ranked about as highly in most categories as Peyton, coming out of college. I think Luck will be better than Matt Ryan, but not as good as Peyton. He could very well turn out to be similar to Eli, though.

So to answer your question, do i believe the he is the best COLLEGE prospect since Peyton? Yeah, probably so...but i dont think he will be as good or better than Peyton in the NFL

Well the "scouts" arent saying that he's the best prospect since Peyton, they are saying he's the best prospect since Elway. Do i think he will be good? Definitely. Do i think he will be better than Peyton? Nope.

If you look at Kiper's ratings, he also had Matt Ryan ranked about as highly in most categories as Peyton, coming out of college. I think Luck will be better than Matt Ryan, but not as good as Peyton. He could very well turn out to be similar to Eli, though.

So to answer your question, do i believe the he is the best COLLEGE prospect since Peyton? Yeah, probably so...but i dont think he will be as good or better than Peyton in the NFL

Matt Ryan is really good, I'm not unconvinced he won't continue to get better, he's definitely some big playoff victories away from "elite status", and yes he could end up being better than Peyton. Not likely, but he young and the Falcons have the look of a team on their way up for the next few years.

Doesn't that bolded line mean you think he is done?

either way, my point is that the Manning argument should only be based on one topic. Will his tricep heal, or not?

Thank you for answering my question. So you agree with the scouts who have rated Luck as the best NFL draft prospect (he is no longer a college prospect, since he is no longer in high school) since PM. Great, we are in agreement.

So here are the facts:

1) we are in agreement that Luck is the best NFL QB prospect since PM

2) PM was in the 1998 draft

For this one example, a very good NFL QB prospect came around in about 14 years, on average. Or we can think of this in terms of available QBs prospects that have been available to draft between PM and Luck. Given that the average QB class in any year's draft to be about 40, this translates to 14 x 40 = 560. So Luck, a once in a "generation" QB prospect comes around about once in about 560 QBs available to be drafted.

Now, how often do the Colts end up with the #1 overall pick so that they may draft such a highly-sought-after asset? Who knows? If we conservatively estimate that any team is as likely to "achieve" the worst record in any year, the chances are 1 out of 32.

Hence the likelihood of having the opportunity to draft a highly-rated NFL QB draft prospect like Luck, comes about only once in 17,920 times, on average. (1/32 x 1/560).

The Colts were very lucky (beating the averages) to have this happen twice in its history...once to draft PM, and now to draft Luck.

And you are OK with passing on this by trading the pick for multiple picks?

We have no information on how Luck may turn out. Much will probably depend on how he is coached. I understand you do not think he will turn out better than PM. I think that there is a possibility that he may. But that is not based on any information, and is speculation.

Thank you for answering my question. So you agree with the scouts who have rated Luck as the best NFL draft prospect (he is no longer a college prospect, since he is no longer in high school) since PM. Great, we are in agreement.

So here are the facts:

1) we are in agreement that Luck is the best NFL QB prospect since PM

2) PM was in the 1998 draft

For this one example, a very good NFL QB prospect came around in about 14 years, on average. Or we can think of this in terms of available QBs prospects that have been available to draft between PM and Luck. Given that the average QB class in any year's draft to be about 40, this translates to 14 x 40 = 560. So Luck, a once in a "generation" QB prospect comes around about once in about 560 QBs available to be drafted.

Now, how often do the Colts end up with the #1 overall pick so that they may draft such a highly-sought-after asset? Who knows? If we conservatively estimate that any team is as likely to "achieve" the worst record in any year, the chances are 1 out of 32.

Hence the likelihood of having the opportunity to draft a highly-rated NFL QB draft prospect like Luck, comes about only once in 17,920 times, on average. (1/32 x 1/560).

The Colts were very lucky (beating the averages) to have this happen twice in its history...once to draft PM, and now to draft Luck.

And you are OK with passing on this by trading the pick for multiple picks?

We have no information on how Luck may turn out. Much will probably depend on how he is coached. I understand you do not think he will turn out better than PM. I think that there is a possibility that he may. But that is not based on any information, and is speculation.

If you read my posts in this and many other threads, i'm all for drafting Luck...i'm dead set AGAINST drafting RGIII, as i think he is highly over rated and will not amount to much at the NFL level...but, if Peyton is healthy, he can still out play most any QB in the NFL...so i would also like to have Peyton play HERE until he retires.

The argument i was making...or question i was asking, is this:

Would you rather have Luck, plus our 6 other draft picks this year and our normal 7 draft picks next year

OR

Would you rather have Justin Blackmon, David DeCastro, Dre Kirkpatrick, Dontari Poe, or 5 other draft picks (rounds 3-7), Matt Barkley next year, and 4-5 more years of Peyton Manning?

I only put those names of players in...switch them around if you prefer other players from the draft...but the point is, while i DO agree that Luck is the best prospect since Peyton, there ARE other very good QBs to be had in every draft, pretty much....and if we trade the pick, we could have a huge haul in THIS year's draft and still have enough extra picks at the top rounds of NEXT year's draft that we could quite easily move up for the QB we want in next year's draft

The argument i was making...or question i was asking, is this:

Would you rather have Luck, plus our 6 other draft picks this year and our normal 7 draft picks next year

OR

Would you rather have Justin Blackmon, David DeCastro, Dre Kirkpatrick, Dontari Poe, or 5 other draft picks (rounds 3-7), Matt Barkley next year, and 4-5 more years of Peyton Manning?

I used to be in favor of trading iff (if and only if) PM was back at 100%. Now, the more I think about it, I am not in favor of trading, but using it to draft the franchise QB of the future. It is unlikely the Colts will ever be in this serendipitous situation again. In your scenario, it is unlikely that any of the picks you traded for will provide you a position to draft Barkley next year, unless you count on (wishful thinking) the team you traded the #1 overall pick to will achieve the worst NFL record this upcoming season. In any case, I think Luck >>>>Barkley.

I only put those names of players in...switch them around if you prefer other players from the draft...but the point is, while i DO agree that Luck is the best prospect since Peyton, there ARE other very good QBs to be had in every draft, pretty much....and if we trade the pick, we could have a huge haul in THIS year's draft and still have enough extra picks at the top rounds of NEXT year's draft that we could quite easily move up for the QB we want in next year's draft

Best prospect since PM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>other very good prospects. That's just my opinion.

I used to be in favor of trading iff (if and only if) PM was back at 100%. Now, the more I think about it, I am not in favor of trading, but using it to draft the franchise QB of the future. It is unlikely the Colts will ever be in this serendipitous situation again. In your scenario, it is unlikely that any of the picks you traded for will provide you a position to draft Barkley next year, unless you count on (wishful thinking) the team you traded the #1 overall pick to will achieve the worst NFL record this upcoming season. In any case, I think Luck >>>>Barkley.

Best prospect since PM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>other very good prospects. That's just my opinion.

you're not getting what i'm saying...we will have MULTIPLE 1st and 2nd round picks BOTH THIS year AND NEXT year...we can draft the players i mentioned THIS year and then TRADE NEXT YEAR's picks to move up n take Barkley.

Now do you see what i'm saying? Package NEXT year's picks to get our QB and still get all of the above players named THIS year. This will be very doable since we will have TWO first and likely TWO second's next year if we trade the #1 this year. And we can get more out of THIS #1 pick than what it would take to get NEXT year's #1 pick.

But again, i would only do this IF Peyton is back and ready to go for the next 4yrs

I hope PM remains a Colt, however, I'm starting to believe it won't work out that way. I'm all for drafting Luck,he has great potential. No matter the outcome concerning PM, team has to draft Luck. You just don't get the opportunity to draft a possible franchise QB very often. Trading the pick is an option, just not worth it.

You are the one that posted it on a public forum....

Ya and that gives you or anyone else the right to be rude? no. I guess the next time you post something i dont agree with that will give me the right to bash you for it. After all you did post it on a public forum.

That's nonsense. It may not be ideal for us to keep both, but it's very doable. Thinking that it may happen is not cognitive dissonance, nor is it refusing to let go of the past.

You are right! It's called keeping both PM and Luck so we are not in the same boat as we were last year when we had Painter/Collins/O'rlovsky as a back-up QB. Isn't that the main reason Pollian feels he was fired!? It would be poor management on Mr. Irsay and Grigson's part not to be prepared this season so it don't happen again!

You are right! It's called keeping both PM and Luck so we are not in the same boat as we were last year when we had Painter/Collins/O'rlovsky as a back-up QB. Isn't that the main reason Pollian feels he was fired!? It would be poor management on Mr. Irsay and Grigson's part not to be prepared this season so it don't happen again!

Even with Luck, last year, I bet we would've won the same amount of games. Polian got fired because the entire roster was so weak. Name one positon we have good depth at? WR?

Polian got what he deserved due, not just to QB, but mainly to horrible drafting. I'm positive with last year's roster, a guy like Luck, would have had a horrible year.

Im calling ^cowpatties^ unless you can post a link where Luck said he would relish NOT playing lol.

I cannot find the article anywhere, but I know I've seen it. It was the end of last week. Unfortunatly there has been 7 zillion articles on this., but I swear I saw it. It wasnt " relish NOT playing" but more to the effect of he would sit and learn behind peyton and have no problem doing it.

How do guarantee next years 1st round pick would be low enough to get Barkley?

How can we gauarantee Barkley wont get hurt or have a season like Lienart who went back to school and played himself out of the top draft pick either?

Passing on Luck is going to be hard to do for RG3 who is in this draft but could happen. Passing on him in hopes for a kid in the draft next year is just foolish. You notice the Panthers who wanted Luck last year when he didn't come out didn't just go oh we'll just wait till next year to get him. They drafted Cam Newton because they needed a QB now.

Rather we have Peyton back or not we need a QB. If we don't have Peyton it's pretty clear why we need a QB. If we have Peyton the man is still 36 and coming off three major neck surgies. He's not going to be here forever and we all saw what happened last year what happens to this team if you don't have a good back up QB behind him. Also even if Peyton Manning comes back and is the same old Peyton that probably means we aren't going to be in poistion to get a QB this high in the draft again while Manning is here. Which means we would probably have to sit threw another season like this after Manning left to be in that poistion again and even then who can promise the kid that is going to be there will be as good as Luck is suppsoed to be?

We are in poistion to get Luck, he's the best player on the board and he fits a poistion of need. You take him and move on to filling other needs.

Also not disagreeing with anything you said just building on what you said.

By starting Painter for all 16 games.

Or trade Painter to the team that traded the picks and contractually forcing them to start Painter for all 16 games.

We just did that. Might as well reap the benefits now. You want a shot at drafting a top level QB prospect, and now you have it. Take it.

because we would have TWO first round picks and TWO second round picks next year, most likely, if we trade the pick THIS year...with all of those picks NEXT year, it would be pretty easy to trade up to get Barkley.