Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McAfee the coach?

WoolMagnet

Has anyone heard ANYTHING about Pat helping our new punter get up to speed.

he doesnt even have to be on the payrolls ll, i dont care.  i would think he would enjoy hangin with the guys, tellin some jokes, keeping his leg loose, and teaching some punting wisdom.

he still is arguably one of the best to play.

i would think it could be done. even if just during camp.

heck, pat can practice his new material during breaks.

a win - win for everyone.  sign dome autographs, do some promo for the new gig.  hes got to nuture and "fertilize" the fanbase hes created somehow

If Pat can do practice kicks to coach, he might as well be playing, IMO. It is not like he endures contact every single time he kicks off or punts. It is the grind of the season over the years with all the practices and game time that took a toll on his knees. Besides, the punters and kickers maybe one of those few who do not have much time off during pre-season like the others.

A few pointers for a couple of sessions, yeah. A part time or full time coach, no way, I don't see Pat doing that.

10 minutes ago, life long said:

I do not want to come off rude but how much coaching does a punter really need? I always assumed that position was directly talent based.

I am sure there are always techniques as to how you rotate the ball before kicking to help with back spin or directional punting or heavy to handle rotation when it comes down. I am not a punter but it is an educated guess.

6 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Has anyone heard ANYTHING about Pat helping our new punter get up to speed.

he doesnt even have to be on the payrolls ll, i dont care.  i would think he would enjoy hangin with the guys, tellin some jokes, keeping his leg loose, and teaching some punting wisdom.

he still is arguably one of the best to play.

i would think it could be done. even if just during camp.

heck, pat can practice his new material during breaks.

a win - win for everyone.  sign dome autographs, do some promo for the new gig.  hes got to nuture and "fertilize" the fanbase hes created somehow

Our new punter is new to the Colts but is not a new punter in the league. I highly doubt he needs any help from Pat.

8 hours ago, life long said:

I do not want to come off rude but how much coaching does a punter really need? I always assumed that position was directly talent based.

Every punter needs a good coach....    think of it like every golfer needs a swing coach.

Every shooter in basketball needs a shooting coach.      There's a hitting coach in baseball, and a fielding coach too.

A punter has lots of moving parts...      It's not just kicking the ball as far as you can?   Often there's directional punting involved...     often there is trying to kick it deep,  but sometimes,  you want to punt it short to pin the opposition deep in their own territory.       Lots of different aspects to punting.

And a punter needs someone to talk to....   that's why every team has at least one special teams coach...   and many teams have a special teams assistant.     

2 hours ago, MR. Blueblood said:

Why do people want to make every player who retires some sort of "coach"?  If he wants to tell jokes with the guys and hang out I'm sure he can do that without getting the new punter up to speed....whatever that means.

Well....    come on now...    it's not EVERY player who retires....

But I've been pretty vocal about wanting Frank Gore to stay in the organization after he retires,  and also want to bring back Michael Adams when he's done with his career.

You want guys who are natural leaders..    you want guys who are effective communicators....    you want guys who are good in the locker-room...    who players can relate to....      most players do NOT have these qualities.

But Adams and Gore do....   not only do their teammates love the,  but so do their coaches.    Good franchises want to keep hose kind of guys around.      You don't have to be a great player,  or a Hall of Famer to be a good coach....     But the skill-set I listed above...    if you're a just retired player and you've got those skills,  they're worth their weight in gold....       figuratively and literally....

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well....    come on now...    it's not EVERY player who retires....

But I've been pretty vocal about wanting Frank Gore to stay in the organization after he retires,  and also want to bring back Michael Adams when he's done with his career.

You want guys who are natural leaders..    you want guys who are effective communicators....    you want guys who are good in the locker-room...    who players can relate to....      most players do NOT have these qualities.

But Adams and Gore do....   not only do their teammates love the,  but so do their coaches.    Good franchises want to keep hose kind of guys around.      You don't have to be a great player,  or a Hall of Famer to be a good coach....     But the skill-set I listed above...    if you're a just retired player and you've got those skills,  they're worth their weight in gold....       figuratively and literally....

While I totally agree with the leadership aspect I don't know about starting a coach right off in the NFL. Most NFL teams want some experience before going with anyone including an ex player before hand. Just a thought.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

While I totally agree with the leadership aspect I don't know about starting a coach right off in the NFL. Most NFL teams want some experience before going with anyone including an ex player before hand. Just a thought.

Sorry,  I should have elaborated....

I wouldn't make either guy THE coach of his position.

So Gore would NOT be the RB coach.     Adams would NOT be the DB coach.

But they would both be the ASSISTANT position coach and learn on the job from the lead position coach that they'd work under.      Currently,  there is no cap on the number of assistants a team can hire.     But plenty of position coaches have an assistant to help them.      That's where I'd start Gore and Adams.....

Off topic, but slightly related...

Crap, I just realized that since Pat McAfee was usually a constant Pro Bowl selection to represent INDY annually. I hope this new reality doesn't mean that Colts fans will now end up seeing less mainstay blue horseshoe favorites in either Hawaii or Florida now.

I know; I know life goes on, but I really miss Pat man. I get very attached to players I revere & I have a difficult time letting go. Pat was exceptionally good at loosening locker room tension & making me laugh. I like funny dudes & I always have. 

12 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Off topic, but slightly related...

Crap, I just realized that since Pat McAfee was usually a constant Pro Bowl selection to represent INDY annually. I hope this new reality doesn't mean that Colts fans will now end up seeing less mainstay blue horseshoe favorites in either Hawaii or Florida now.

I know; I know life goes on, but I really miss Pat man. I get very attached to players I revere & I have a difficult time letting go. Pat was exceptionally good at loosening locker room tension & making me laugh. I like funny dudes & I always have. 

who cares, its the "Pro-Bowl"