Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts meeting with RB Dalvin Cook tonight

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

He's no better a player then the edge rushers that will be available around our pick hell if Barnett is there he's better then Cook 

Barnett is terrible imo. Has no pass rush moves. Just uses speed to get past tackles. Won't work in the nfl

15 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Barnett is terrible imo. Has no pass rush moves. Just uses speed to get past tackles. Won't work in the nfl

I think that is an oversimplification.  To say he is "terrible" is not right.  Will he be good in the NFL?  We don't know.  But he has played at the highest level of college football, the SEC, and been as productive as anybody.  Remember,  lot of those OL he was going against couldn't stop him either and there are quite a few that will also be playing in the NFL.  He needs work, you're right.  But for all we know he isn't a finished product yet either.  I think Ballard will figure that out, and he needs to.

6 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I think that is an oversimplification.  To say he is "terrible" is not right.  Will he be good in the NFL?  We don't know.  But he has played at the highest level of college football, the SEC, and been as productive as anybody.  Remember,  lot of those OL he was going against couldn't stop him either and there are quite a few that will also be playing in the NFL.  He needs work, you're right.  But for all we know he isn't a finished product yet either.  I think Ballard will figure that out, and he needs to.

Yes he played against the best, but all I see is him running past the tackle. No dips, no bull rush, no spin moves. He's a one trick pony imo

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Yes he played against the best, but all I see is him running past the tackle. No dips, no bull rush, no spin moves. He's a one trick pony imo

It also may be that he hasn't had to.  Perhaps his natural ability and instincts didn't require it?  Remember, coaching doesn't stop once a guy makes it to the NFL.  He can still be coached up and refined even at that level.  Perhaps this is all he will need?  But to me, you take a guy who has been productive over a guy who is a freak athlete but may be more hit or miss.  And Barnett has been the former, even if he doesn't look the part, and that is hard to argue with.  And he hasn't had a big injury history either.

4 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

It also may be that he hasn't had to.  Perhaps his natural ability and instincts didn't require it?  Remember, coaching doesn't stop once a guy makes it to the NFL.  He can still be coached up and refined even at that level.  Perhaps this is all he will need?  But to me, you take a guy who has been productive over a guy who is a freak athlete but may be more hit or miss.  And Barnett has been the former, even if he doesn't look the part, and that is hard to argue with.  And he hasn't had a big injury history either.

When you don't have a counter move as a pass rusher in the nfl, you're not gonna be very productive. Can he be coached up? Sure, but you're basically then working with a project with your first pick.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not blaming Pagano is not what you are suggesting in your earlier comments.

I agree 100% with what you say the team needs for sure.

You misinterpreted it. I was just saying how terrible our defenses are. I copy and pasted that from a Colts article, to show insight of how bad the defense is. And why we need premium picks for it. 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

When you don't have a counter move as a pass rusher in the nfl, you're not gonna be very productive. Can he be coached up? Sure, but you're basically then working with a project with your first pick.

Well then that is where Ballard will have to earn his money.  These are all of course things that we won't really know about like Ballard will.  He will have all the tape, he will get the combine data, he will meet with the guy, etc.  As for what we know, yes, I would agree with you he hasn't shown a lot of moves and he is more of a 4-3 type.  But you cannot argue he has been highly productive and he has terrific ball instincts vs. both the run and pass.  He can miss in the open field because he isn't a great athlete like Garrett but he does make up for some of that with great instincts off the ball.

Again, none of us really knows how he will fit in the NFL.  The best ability is availability and he has been that.  But I have always liked a guy who has been productive and it's tough to argue that he hasn't been.

6 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Well then that is where Ballard will have to earn his money.  These are all of course things that we won't really know about like Ballard will.  He will have all the tape, he will get the combine data, he will meet with the guy, etc.  As for what we know, yes, I would agree with you he hasn't shown a lot of moves and he is more of a 4-3 type.  But you cannot argue he has been highly productive and he has terrific ball instincts vs. both the run and pass.  He can miss in the open field because he isn't a great athlete like Garrett but he does make up for some of that with great instincts off the ball.

Again, none of us really knows how he will fit in the NFL.  The best ability is availability and he has been that.  But I have always liked a guy who has been productive and it's tough to argue that he hasn't been.

Fair enough

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Of those three RB's I suspect only Hunt will be there at pick 80,  and I wouldn't bet that he'll be on the board either.

But both Kamara and Foreman should be gone well before pick 80,  especially Kamara.   And with Foreman down 16 pounds,   his stock may have just gone up as well.....

Like the players,  just don't think we'll get that lucky.....

Foreman should be there in the 3rd. He's a project for seeing 3rd down time and even then, his ceiling is very limited in that capacity.  He has value as a 1st/2nd down and goalline back, but his vision and explosiveness are just okay, and his ball security issues are well documented.  

Honestly, I hope a power/gap oriented team takes him before the Colts ever have a chance.

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

And that's supposed to be a knock on him?? He got that many sacks without having to use pass rush moves and that's a bad thing?

Yes because it won't work in the nfl

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

From watching film yes. All he does is rely on his speed to beat the tackle. He doesn't dip, bull rush, or spin.

If his speed works what the hell is the point in spinning and dipping and slowing himself down when he is gonna get the sack without it that's just ignorant as hell 

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

If his speed works what the hell is the point in spinning and dipping and slowing himself down when he is gonna get the sack without it that's just ignorant as hell 

Because as a pass rusher in the nfl, you need to be more then just a one trick pony

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I guarantee you he has moves the point was it's * stupid to use them when he is destroying the SEC tackles without them 

What moves would that be? The tape doesn't lie

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Of course it's not gonna be on tape cause he was destroying the tackles without them why would he use them when he didn't have to!!!!! 

Because the coaches are gonna watch the tape and say this kid can't do anything, but run fast

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Stupid statement that's true. 

Not even close no way in hell coaches are gonna look at him with all that production and just say "he's not good he's just fast" do you not realize how incredibly stupid that sounds?

He's atop of the 1st prospect for a reason

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Not even close no way in hell coaches are gonna look at him with all that production and just say "he's not good he's just fast" do you not realize how incredibly stupid that sounds?

He's atop of the 1st prospect for a reason

Stats lie tape doesnt

10 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

D Cook only comes around in a decade.  Take him, alleviate A Luck's workload and just give the damn ball to D Cook.....Need desperately a homerun hitter.  Defense, is plentiful in the draft and free agency....C Ballard can do all his maneuvering and pickin.....That's why Irsay picked him to run the horseshoe!!

Cook's a good player but he's no where near a once in a decade prospect.  

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Oh yeah the tape of him destroying the SEC got it 

There's really no reason to continue this. I've easily proved you wrong and you continue to answer with the same useless responses. Have a good day. God bless

11 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

While I wouldn't mind Cook and think he would help the offense, the defense is what needs work the most.  

Pass on Cook and get a defensive players.  RB's are deep in this draft, we could probably got a good one in the 3rd.  

True, but a good ground game is a poor defense's best friend.