Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why wasn't Wade Phillips brought in?

gacoop1

11 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

I'm just saying that even Wade Philips couldn't have made this defense good.

Maybe not, but I would bet it would have been better than what it was. Talent wasn't the only issue the defense had, coaching was an issue with it too. We rarely would make adjustments for instance. The Steelers game is the biggest example to me, Wade probably would have done something different against Antonio Brown. Brown was killing us the whole game but we kept leaving Vontae mainly on an island with him, which was stupid. 

Yes I know AB is really good, but that was a coaching blunder IMO. Should have been double teamed.

3 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Maybe not, but I would bet it would have been better than what it was. Talent wasn't the only issue the defense had, coaching was an issue with it too. We rarely would make adjustments for instance. The Steelers game is the biggest example to me, Wade probably would have done something different against Antonio Brown. Brown was killing us the whole game but we kept leaving Vontae mainly on an island with him, which was stupid. 

Yes I know AB is really good, but that was a coaching blunder IMO. Should have been double teamed.

You mean like when wade phillips "shut down" AB in 2015 to the tune of 16 catches for 189 yds and 2 tds, with the most talented defense in the nfl?? Real good coaching and adjustments there I bet.... 

All things considered, given our lack of talent, Teds defense didnt even give AB 100 yds receiving.... I would hardly call that a blunder. 

Oh and the steelers didnt even have Bell for that game so its not like they had to deal with him either. All wade had to do was stop AB. He didnt. 

10 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yes he could.  He could not have made them great but they would have done a lot better with Wade than Monachino.

I just disagree. I don't think wade could have made this defense a "good" defense. There were no pass rushers on this defense. I might be wrong but I just don't think the talent was there to make them a top 10 defense. Could he have done better than Monachino? sure, Ill agree with that.

6 hours ago, theanarchist said:

I just disagree. I don't think wade could have made this defense a "good" defense. There were no pass rushers on this defense. I might be wrong but I just don't think the talent was there to make them a top 10 defense. Could he have done better than Monachino? sure, Ill agree with that.

I agree that they would not have been a top 10 D even with Phillips.

On 2/18/2017 at 4:03 PM, SaturdayAllDay said:

You mean like when wade phillips "shut down" AB in 2015 to the tune of 16 catches for 189 yds and 2 tds, with the most talented defense in the nfl?? Real good coaching and adjustments there I bet.... 

All things considered, given our lack of talent, Teds defense didnt even give AB 100 yds receiving.... I would hardly call that a blunder. 

Oh and the steelers didnt even have Bell for that game so its not like they had to deal with him either. All wade had to do was stop AB. He didnt. 

Nah, that was a game where he trusted the 1-on-1 that Chris Harris played vs AB. No one, I repeat, no one can cover AB 1-on-1. There are still people on here (they know who they are) that think Vontae can take him 1-on-1 but I beg to disagree and differ. Belichick never leaves AB 1-on-1, every single time he plays him, forces someone else to beat them. Wade got too comfortable with Chris Harris during that game and CJ owned up to his shortfall after that game as well. The Broncos were ahead 27-13 and they took their foot off the gas pedal on O and made mistakes too. When Ted changed it to double coverage all the time, the yards and TDs went away during our Thanksgiving game but it was a tad too late after AB had already burned us for 3 TDs. Ted was at home while Wade was on the road, it does matter while playing D, IMO.

Also, DeAngelo Williams is no slouch while he is not Bell.

Nah, that was a game where he trusted the 1-on-1 that Chris Harris played vs AB. No one, I repeat, no one can cover AB 1-on-1. There are still people on here (they know who they are) that think Vontae can take him 1-on-1 but I beg to disagree and differ. Belichick never leaves AB 1-on-1, every single time he plays him, forces someone else to beat them. Wade got too comfortable with Chris Harris during t. When Ted changed it to double coverage all the time, the yards and TDs went away during our Thanksgiving game. Safety play is key vs the Steelers and the Broncos' safeties played poorly in that regular season game vs the Steelers and much better in the playoff game though not having AB helped immensely, not going to disagree with that.

Also, DeAngelo Williams is no slouch, and produced vs the Broncos and even Patriots in the playoff game while replacing Bell. He may not have the next gear like Bell but is highly productive. 

Nah, that was a game where he trusted the 1-on-1 that Chris Harris played vs AB. No one, I repeat, no one can cover AB 1-on-1. There are still people on here (they know who they are) that think Vontae can take him 1-on-1 but I beg to disagree and differ. Belichick never leaves AB 1-on-1, every single time he plays him, forces someone else to beat them. Wade got too comfortable with Chris Harris during that game and CH owned up to his shortfalls after giving up 2 TDs to AB after the Broncos led 27-13 to give up 3 TDs in a row to lose. When Ted changed it to double coverage all the time, the yards and TDs went away during our Thanksgiving game

Nah, that was a game where he trusted the 1-on-1 that Chris Harris played vs AB. No one, I repeat, no one can cover AB 1-on-1. There are still people on here (they know who they are) that think Vontae can take him 1-on-1 but I beg to disagree and differ. Belichick never leaves AB 1-on-1, every single time he plays him, forces someone else to beat them. Wade got too comfortable with Chris Harris during the game and CH acknowledged his shortfalls following the game where the Broncos led 27-13 to give up 3 TDs and ended up losing. When Ted changed it to double coverage all the time, the yards and TDs went away during our Thanksgiving game.

DeAngelo Williams is no slouch either, he produced well vs the Broncos and even Patriots this year without Bell. He may not have the next gear as Bell but the offense does not miss as much on the RB front as it does on the WR front when AB is not around.

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Nah, that was a game where he trusted the 1-on-1 that Chris Harris played vs AB. No one, I repeat, no one can cover AB 1-on-1. There are still people on here (they know who they are) that think Vontae can take him 1-on-1 but I beg to disagree and differ. Belichick never leaves AB 1-on-1, every single time he plays him, forces someone else to beat them. Wade got too comfortable with Chris Harris during that game and CJ owned up to his shortfall after that game as well. The Broncos were ahead 27-13 and they took their foot off the gas pedal on O and made mistakes too. When Ted changed it to double coverage all the time, the yards and TDs went away during our Thanksgiving game but it was a tad too late after AB had already burned us for 3 TDs. Ted was at home while Wade was on the road, it does matter while playing D, IMO.

Also, DeAngelo Williams is no slouch while he is not Bell.

No one in the league can cover AB 1v1.

I was just arguing to the fact that when wade phillips does it its no big deal cuz thats just what AB does, but when monachino does the exact same thing its a "blunder". Even though our league worst defense held AB to half the yds and less than half the catches than the number 1 defense could. 

The OP i had replied to implied that Ted made 0 changes (which isnt true) and that Wade would have made them (which i was pointing out he obviously didnt). 

Also denver gave up 154 yds to M Bryant in the playoffs in the same 2015-2016 season (with AB out and Fitzgerald Toussaint at RB). Just saying that Wade isnt exactly writing the book when it comes to shutting down pittsburg. So to bring him up as the guy who would have made adjustments and shut down AB is simply ludicrous. 

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I agree that they would not have been a top 10 D even with Phillips.

how much better do you realistically think wade could have made this defense with all things considered? Im just curious. I have no argument that wade is one of the best defensive coaches in the NFL but with the lack of talent and injuries what do you think? 10 spots better? 15? My point is I blame the majority of the defensive mess on Grigson and not Monachino, who was in his first year and had nothing to work with.