Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why wasn't Wade Phillips brought in?

gacoop1

Because teams that blow up their coaching staffs every year dont succeed. Id rather stick with the coaches we hired last year then blow up our staff this year and then possibly blow it up again when Pagano gets the boot a year from now. Just because Phillips is a decent DC doesnt mean the new HC would want him. So what is the point in blowing up our defensive coaching staff 3 yrs in a row? 

Plus all the time spent with our young players (Anderson, Parry, Green, E Jackson, Geathers, etc) learning 3 new systems in 3 years could be put toward actually bettering themselves as players. This is part of the issue why teams like the Browns never seem to end up doing well with their draft picks. You wont progress as well as the rest of the league if you are always going back to square 1 with a new system every year. 

I'm making a few assumptions here but...

Let's assume the wholesale coaching changes last year were as a result of Pagano winning more of a say and maybe choosing members of the coaching staff rather than having them enforced on him (Pep?). Follow this through to to Grigson getting the chop and Pagano not. It's an indicator that Irsay was willing to buy that the issues were more down to roster talent level than coaching. If he's willing to give Pagano another shot with a different GM it would have been very strange to cut loose the guy Pagano picked who had probably even less to work with last season than in the preceding years. 

30 minutes ago, TDewar1987 said:

Hard to succeed when your defense is severely lacking talent, especially for a first year DC.

16 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Phillips turned them down.

Wade Philips probably would have turned them down since he knows defensive talent when he sees it. However, I do think it was a sink or swim situation with Pagano and his coaches for 2017 and they wanted to untie one of them (HC/GM) at the hip and the list of quality GM candidates available far exceeded the list of quality HCs available, so they wanted to give one more rodeo for Pagano and his coaches. If Pagano does well in 2017 (division win and playoff victory type well), he probably plays out his contract till 2019. However, if we don't win the division, his seat will be more hot this year.

Wade was hired by the Rams on January 12, 2017, and Grigson was fired on January 21, 2017. 

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Wade Philips probably would have turned them down since he knows defensive talent when he sees it. However, I do think it was a sink or swim situation with Pagano and his coaches for 2017 and they wanted to untie one of them (HC/GM) at the hip and the list of quality GM candidates available far exceeded the list of quality HCs available, so they wanted to give one more rodeo for Pagano and his coaches. If Pagano does well in 2017 (division win and playoff victory type well), he probably plays out his contract till 2019. However, if we don't win the division, his seat will be more hot this year.

Wade was hired by the Rams on January 12, 2017, and Grigson was fired on January 21, 2017. 

Not a fan of this type of topic. Why didn`t we try to get bla bla bla...
 when the ___ ___ poster hasn`t a ___ clue if we did or not.
  Boy am i gonna have plenty more of this B_ to wade thru! Argh!  :wall:

12 minutes ago, VocableLoki said:

We need to get better players before we worry about anything else. Buddy Ryan circa '85 could come in and it's not going to matter if we don't have the players.

Agreed to an extent. Sure we need better players, but I believe that Phillips is one of the best defensive coaches out there. I'm for improving the team whenever possible.  

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Not a fan of this type of topic. Why didn`t we try to get bla bla bla...
 when the ___ ___ poster hasn`t a ___ clue if we did or not.
  Boy am i gonna have plenty more of this B_ to wade thru! Argh!  :wall:

i have the same feelings on this.  I call it the madden syndrome.  People think you can just sign whoever whenever. People never seem to get the fact there are multiple factors involved here from multiple sides.  Besides, if i recall right, one of the reasons Wade went to the Ram was because his grandkids lived in the  area. or so he says.  on top of that, we will never know if the Colts did or did not reach out and if they did, Wade may have told them no thank you.

It would be unfair to continue to judge people off of Grigson's mistakes. He left the cupboard bare on defense. Let's see what Ted does with a few weapons.

Im using the same logic to save judgment on Chudzinski. If Ballard hands him a true dynamic RB and we get a guy like Robert Woods in FA, I wonder what the offense will look like.

42 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It would be unfair to continue to judge people off of Grigson's mistakes. He left the cupboard bare on defense. Let's see what Ted does with a few weapons.

Im using the same logic to save judgment on Chudzinski. If Ballard hands him a true dynamic RB and we get a guy like Robert Woods in FA, I wonder what the offense will look like.

i concur more than once

18 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

Just curious, why wasn't Phillips brought in after being let go by the Broncos? My guess is, Pagano is loyal to Ted who had one of the worst defense in the league.  

Yes had one of the worst defense's last year mostly due to the talent the Colts had. But I would like me some Wade Phillips he is a good coach. Probably not happening though.

On 2/14/2017 at 5:16 PM, FACE REALITY said:

just a matter of time before teams learn to beat the wade defense, then on to the next defensive guru, it may be our guy if he gets some talent

Learn to beat the Wade Defense?

He's only been a top DC for about 25 years or so....     by the time the rest of the NFL figures out how to beat his defense he will have been retired for 5-10 years!

On 2/14/2017 at 5:46 AM, chad72 said:

Heckuva post.

Your last sentence pretty much sums it all up.      And few seem to get it....

Good job.....         :colts:

On 2/14/2017 at 8:16 PM, FACE REALITY said:

just a matter of time before teams learn to beat the wade defense, then on to the next defensive guru, it may be our guy if he gets some talent

LOL....offensive coordinators have been trying to figure out how to do that for over 2 decades.  

Seriously though, every defense has weaknesses and Wade's defense is no exception.  However, knowing how to beat his defense and putting that plan into action are 2 very different things and teams have consistently had problems in doing the latter.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:23 AM, Flash7 said:

Agreed to an extent. Sure we need better players, but I believe that Phillips is one of the best defensive coaches out there. I'm for improving the team whenever possible.  

I agree with you but look at what wade has had to work with the last few seasons? Probably the best front 7 in all of football(last year for sure)and the secondary was pretty talented too. When  you can pressure the QB like they have the rest is easier. Wade is a great coach but with our talent on D he would be just another coach.

3 hours ago, Green_Ranger said:

I'm all for giving Ted another year with this team. He didn't really have much to work with and I feel like he did well with what little talent he had to work with. I wanna give this guy some pass rush and a much improved secondary before I give him the axe.

That is a fact. If you only consider the secondary injuries this year he had to deal with it was really bad. Then throw in the fact that we had no one who could rush the passer and it its one of the worst defensive fronts in the nfl for pass rush. Then you have to consider the poor inside linebacker play until Edwin Jackson came along. What a recipe for failure.

34 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

That is a fact. If you only consider the secondary injuries this year he had to deal with it was really bad. Then throw in the fact that we had no one who could rush the passer and it its one of the worst defensive fronts in the nfl for pass rush. Then you have to consider the poor inside linebacker play until Edwin Jackson came along. What a recipe for failure.

yeah BUT besides that,what excuse did he have ?? haha

Yeah I agree with the take you can't really call the DC a failure when he's had just one year at the helm. And there's also the case that he didn't really have that great of talent in the first place. Let's see what happens with a GM that knows how to put together a team. Then we will know more about the DC