Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Melvin Ingram

1 minute ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

You have me there. Being from Canada, I have very little knowledge on state taxes haha.

Like everyone else here, I have no clue where he will go (if anywhere). But money talks and interest from teams with almost double our cap space scare me.

I was also more just pointing out that the original ESPN article doesnt mean much, as they put out multiple different stories that day saying teams should sign Ingram. I dont put much stock into it. 

In Ind it is about 5%  I believe

$1,000,000+   income     and the tax is  13.30% in Cal

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

In Ind it is about 5%  I believe

$1,000,000+   income     and the tax is  13.30% in Cal

Well that is a big difference. Who knows though? To a player making that much money he might think San Fran is more his scene and doesnt put much stock into taxes. 

If it were me though, id take the cheaper spot. But thats coming from a guy who just drove an hour (each way) today to buy groceries because there is 5% less sales tax in the next province over. haha

6 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Well that is a big difference. Who knows though? To a player making that much money he might think San Fran is more his scene and doesnt put much stock into taxes. 

If it were me though, id take the cheaper spot. But thats coming from a guy who just drove an hour (each way) today to buy groceries because there is 5% less sales tax in the next province over. haha

Everybody loves a bargain. At least you know what your getting with groceries>
 FA not so much. lol

16 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

If we're holding on for a guy who is truly worth 10% of the cap then I don't think we'll ever actually pull the trigger. How many guys who are worthy of the figure will ever hit free agency?

I think I'm just bored of knowing that opposition quarterbacks can just sit there and take their sweet time against us. Maybe I don't have the patience to fix that through the next 2 or 3 drafts and have therefore accepted that it must get done through free agency and there is an associated cost to that and you're going to be getting a player who is in their mid to late 20s.

You might be right. I'd be more willing to splash for Ingram if I thought the defense was closer. If I could wave my magic wand and add a #2 corner (or a #1, depending on what we think about Davis moving forward), a solid ILB and a starting caliber FS, and if I was confident in the DL to hold up against the run, I'd be less opposed to paying a premium for that last piece, and I'd think that Ingram would have the players around him to still be successful.

But as you say, the 10% kind of guy is probably not going to hit free agency, we're going to have to overpay for a second tier guy (I still can't believe the Vernon contract, but that's the market now). The only way to really get 'the freakin' man' is in the draft.

I wonder if we'd be better off re-signing Walden, then adding Sheard, and Mingo, and Dion Jordan, and seeing who sticks. Sheard is probably a solid addition, but Mingo and Jordan would have a lot to prove, and might not make it out of camp. Add a rookie pass rusher or two, and you have a serious competition and a stable of young prospects. And those four guys would cost less combined than the $17m I think Ingram will ask for.

On a more positive note, I think it's more likely that Ingram hits free agency than that he's tagged. Bradley's defense is different from John Pagano's, and I don't think they want to pay that kind of premium for a converted LEO, which is what Ingram would be. Attaochu is probably the perfect guy for that role anyway. So if you really want Ingram, I think he'll be available. I'd say 70% he hits free agency (based on nothing by my own opinion). 

16 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Like everyone else here, I have no clue where he will go (if anywhere). But money talks and interest from teams with almost double our cap space scare me.

Yup. Assuming he hits free agency, he'll go to the highest bidder. I don't think state taxes are going to be a major factor, especially if a team like the Niners offers $19m/year when other teams offer $17m/year. 

Some players will go to the better team when the money is close. Most of them will go to the team that offers the most.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Yup. Assuming he hits free agency, he'll go to the highest bidder. I don't think state taxes are going to be a major factor, especially if a team like the Niners offers $19m/year when other teams offer $17m/year. 

Some players will go to the better team when the money is close. Most of them will go to the team that offers the most.

Uh, kind of the point!  I come up with 13% of $19M as $2,470,000.  Jax with Florida having No state tax could offer the Larger contract at..... $16,600,000.   Hmmm! An up and coming team vs well, a cra_ team. lol
 Pure speculation anyway.