Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting Report: Forrest Lamp, Western Kentucky

College Career

Playing at Western Kentucky, a smaller program, Lamp has started for the Hilltoppers at left tackle since partway through his redshirt Freshman year. He’s not only excelled against the relatively lower levels of competition but also did very well when stepping up to power house teams such as Alabama - where he had an impressive game facing a defensive front loaded with future NFLers including some probable first rounders. PFF has graded him out very well over his college career and lots of analysts like his game. 

Tape

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/forrest-lamp/

Skill Set

Lamp displays good quickness and ability to pick up blockers in space. He definitely appears to have the athleticism to play in a scheme with zone concepts. He’s got pretty good technique both in pass blocking and in run blocking, and he looks strong enough to hold up at the next level even as a rookie. I think he’s got room to get even stronger. At tackle he could struggle at the next level because he’s a bit too squatty in his build and that could force him to have to lurch at more talented NFL edge rushers coming around the edge.

NFL Position Fit

I like him at guard, and especially in a scheme that utilizes some zone blocking concepts. He’s quite nimble for an O-lineman, but his arm length at 31 1/8” is better suited to the interior. Luckily at 6’ 3 3/4”, 305 lbs, and large hands at 10 7/8”, he’s got a terrific build to play guard. He could even gain another 5 pounds or so of good weight and honestly probably should - but that’s a pretty easy goal to hit.

NFL Comparison

Cody Whitehair - although I think Lamp is a bit better. I also think he will play guard rather than center in the NFL - but their builds an playing styles are similar. 

Draft Projection

First round pick.

Colts Spin

I know Colts fans aren't zeroing in on any O-lineman to be our first round pick - and I understand that too. I think in terms of positional need, we have other directions we could go and we could possibly pick up a guard during free agency. However - I would be satisfied to land Lamp with pick 14 or 15 because he's that caliber of player. I know a guard has to be very good before he can go this high - Zack Martin for example was pick 16 in 2014, but I think that was a steal and also that Lamp is good enough to entertain in that range too. And then there's the possibility if we could trade back a couple spots and still land this guy - it would be pretty exceptional. I still don't expect us to go in this direction, but for a guy like Lamp, I could see it as a possibility.

I`m probably in the minority here, but I am rather optimistic that the O-line is going to be above average next season with the current personnel. I think Kelly and Haeg only get better going into next season. Clarke played a couple games at the end of the season and showed some things. I`m hoping J. Harrison is resigned as he can play both C and G positions. Mewhort should be healthy by camp as well. I like Lamp, but the Colts would have to take him no later than the 2nd and he may not even be there. Plus, he will probably play OG, so I don`t see where he fits. If the Colts draft any O-linemen I think it will be on the outside. I just think the Colts have more pressing needs on defense to invest a high pick for Lamp. He is definitely a nice looking prospect though.  

2 hours ago, Track Guy said:

College Career

Playing at Western Kentucky, a smaller program, Lamp has started for the Hilltoppers at left tackle since partway through his redshirt Freshman year. He’s not only excelled against the relatively lower levels of competition but also did very well when stepping up to power house teams such as Alabama - where he had an impressive game facing a defensive front loaded with future NFLers including some probable first rounders. PFF has graded him out very well over his college career and lots of analysts like his game. 

Tape

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/forrest-lamp/

Skill Set

Lamp displays good quickness and ability to pick up blockers in space. He definitely appears to have the athleticism to play in a scheme with zone concepts. He’s got pretty good technique both in pass blocking and in run blocking, and he looks strong enough to hold up at the next level even as a rookie. I think he’s got room to get even stronger. At tackle he could struggle at the next level because he’s a bit too squatty in his build and that could force him to have to lurch at more talented NFL edge rushers coming around the edge.

NFL Position Fit

I like him at guard, and especially in a scheme that utilizes some zone blocking concepts. He’s quite nimble for an O-lineman, but his arm length at 31 1/8” is better suited to the interior. Luckily at 6’ 3 3/4”, 305 lbs, and large hands at 10 7/8”, he’s got a terrific build to play guard. He could even gain another 5 pounds or so of good weight and honestly probably should - but that’s a pretty easy goal to hit.

NFL Comparison

Cody Whitehair - although I think Lamp is a bit better. I also think he will play guard rather than center in the NFL - but their builds an playing styles are similar. 

Draft Projection

First round pick.

Colts Spin

I know Colts fans aren't zeroing in on any O-lineman to be our first round pick - and I understand that too. I think in terms of positional need, we have other directions we could go and we could possibly pick up a guard during free agency. However - I would be satisfied to land Lamp with pick 14 or 15 because he's that caliber of player. I know a guard has to be very good before he can go this high - Zack Martin for example was pick 16 in 2014, but I think that was a steal and also that Lamp is good enough to entertain in that range too. And then there's the possibility if we could trade back a couple spots and still land this guy - it would be pretty exceptional. I still don't expect us to go in this direction, but for a guy like Lamp, I could see it as a possibility.

It would be Awesome to sign Zeitler and add Lamp.
 Dumping lead foot Mewhort is at the top of my list.
  Clark at RT and letting Haeg work at all his skills at G & T. He was not up to it last year, but i like him.
 I agree about Harrison, a solid backup at 2 positions.

You've made the comparison to Whitehair...and it all fits.  For exactly the same reasons Lamp looks like first round talent but will be drafted mid 2nd. Whitehair was thought by many to be a 1st rounder at this point a year ago, but the analytics caught up to him as teams sequenced their boards.

19 hours ago, ztboiler said:

You've made the comparison to Whitehair...and it all fits.  For exactly the same reasons Lamp looks like first round talent but will be drafted mid 2nd. Whitehair was thought by many to be a 1st rounder at this point a year ago, but the analytics caught up to him as teams sequenced their boards.

If we could land this guy in the mid second - man would that be a win!

I'm quite high on Lamp and think he'll be a really solid pro OG.  I'd not be upset adding another OL piece in trying to turn the OL into an elite unit, but I just don't see the Colts going in this direction in the 1st round.  If Lamp is available in the second round, I'd be all for it, but based on the projections I am seeing, it will be VERY unlikely he'd still be there for us in the 2nd round.

On 2/12/2017 at 5:00 AM, throwing BBZ said:

Clark at RT and letting Haeg work at all his skills at G & T. He was not up to it last year, but i like him.

mewhort  top 10 guard in his prime still under his rookie contract 

17 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I'm quite high on Lamp and think he'll be a really solid pro OG.  I'd not be upset adding another OL piece in trying to turn the OL into an elite unit, but I just don't see the Colts going in this direction in the 1st round.  If Lamp is available in the second round, I'd be all for it, but based on the projections I am seeing, it will be VERY unlikely he'd still be there for us in the 2nd round.

I agree it's not the most likely pick at the moment - however I think our moves in free agency might tip us off as to  whether there's a realistic chance or not. Like you say, I'd be fine with us trying to make our offensive line elite.

16 hours ago, SolomonThomasFanAccount said:

mewhort  top 10 guard in his prime still under his rookie contract 

On 2/11/2017 at 11:00 AM, throwing BBZ said:

I need you to help me understand what your beef is with Mewhort. I just don't get it, like, at all.

On 2/11/2017 at 10:00 AM, throwing BBZ said:

Dude not sure where you got that but Mewhort is GOOD!