Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The 3rd round RB who will be a steal for the Colts..

His name is Curtis Samuel, and he is very similar to McCafferey in that he possesses great speed and receiving ability...He is one of the fastest players in this class and is a jack of all trades RB...He can be a dynamic player in the slot or at running back..He will provide the home run threat in the running game this team desperately needs..This is for the guys who want to wait till round 3 to get our RB, and focus on defense in rounds 1 and 2..If we go that route Samuel is that GUY...His NFL comparison is Jamaal Charles in my opinion, and if we get him I'm happy to go defense round 1 and 2...

Here is a video of Sameul's best highlights...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptoBQX1L0_U&t=91s

I confess that I don't like videos like this one....     it's edited way to fast....    you can't see the full play....  

So, you see the best 3-4 seconds of Samuel in any play.....     but that's a TERRIBLE way to judge someone....

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I confess that I don't like videos like this one....     it's edited way to fast....    you can't see the full play....  

So, you see the best 3-4 seconds of Samuel in any play.....     but that's a TERRIBLE way to judge someone....

Thanks NCF...I like it cause it shows him receiving more than the others which is what sets him apart from the other backs..

10 hours ago, nburgmei said:

He doesn't really strike me as a #1 guy. He sounds like he might be a great weapon, but not someone I'd want carrying the ball 15-20 times. It might not be a terrible plan to pair him with Gore for a year and then draft a RB high next year.

Ohio State is my team. But I don't see him as a No. 1 RB in the NFL. Maybe a TY Montgomery type of player. Can carry the ball 8-10 times a game but that would his max IMO. 

12 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

His name is Curtis Samuel, and he is very similar to McCafferey in that he possesses great speed and receiving ability...He is one of the fastest players in this class and is a jack of all trades RB...He can be a dynamic player in the slot or at running back..He will provide the home run threat in the running game this team desperately needs..This is for the guys who want to wait till round 3 to get our RB, and focus on defense in rounds 1 and 2..If we go that route Samuel is that GUY...His NFL comparison is Jamaal Charles in my opinion, and if we get him I'm happy to go defense round 1 and 2...

Will checking him out on youtube sooner than later.

Excluding domestic stuff, do you like him better than Mixon?

30 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Mixon is more of an every down back. .I love Mixons talent as a runner just don't trust he will not get suspended at some point.. I would take him in 4th if he is there. ..Samuel is just a playmaker, he could break 1 anytime running or receiving. ..He would probably be a 10 -15 carry a game guy, but can still stay on the field and play slot and give you 10 catches too....I do think he can put on 15 pounds and become a great everydown back 25 carry guy too..I would keep him like he is and use him as a change of pace guy and a slot at first and go from there..Good value as far as IMPACT for a mid 3rd round pick..Similar to Tyreke Hill, but much better receiver..

3 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Mixon is more of an every down back. .I love Mixons talent as a runner just don't trust he will not get suspended I would take him in 4th if he is there. ..Samuel is just a playmaker, he could break 1 anytime running or receiving. ..He would probably be a 10 -15 carry a game guy, but can still stay on the field and play slot and give you 10 catches too....I do think he can put on 15 pounds and become a great everydown back 25 carry guy too..I would keep him like he is and use him as a change of pace guy and a slot...Good value as far as IMPACT for a mid 3rd round pick..Similar to Tyreke Hill, but much better receiver..

JS....

I don't think this is premium material, so I think it should show up if you click on it....

But click on the link....   it contains the game-by-game breakdown for Samuel.     On it, you'll see that his carries were in the single digits in every single game, except 3.    In those games his carries were 11, 12, and 13.  

He's never going to be a 25 carry RB.     Not in anyone's wildest dream.     He is what he is.    A super-sensational offensive weapon.     A fun toy.     Not to be over-used.    To be used selectively by a team that knows how to use him.

Here's the link:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3121427/curtis-samuel

43 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Ohio State is my team. But I don't see him as a No. 1 RB in the NFL. Maybe a TY Montgomery type of player. Can carry the ball 8-10 times a game but that would his max IMO. 

Montgomery is nowhere near him as far as speed, twitchiness, cut on a dime ability, and I always have liked Montgomery...Barrett got a ton of carries there so I think that's hard to know...Samuel isn't tiny, he is pretty much same size as McCaffery and hasn't had injury issues so I don't know where he can only handle 10 carries comes from...

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

JS....

I don't think this is premium material, so I think it should show up if you click on it....

But click on the link....   it contains the game-by-game breakdown for Samuel.     On it, you'll see that his carries were in the single digits in every single game, except 3.    In those games his carries were 11, 12, and 13.  

He's never going to be a 25 carry RB.     Not in anyone's wildest dream.     He is what he is.    A super-sensational offensive weapon.     A fun toy.     Not to be over-used.    To be used selectively by a team that knows how to use him.

Here's the link:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3121427/curtis-samuel

And that's fine if that's the case for a mid 3rd round guy..That's what we need..We got Gore and Turbin to get us 3 or 4 yards a carry..We need a guy to put back there defenses have to worry and gameplan for...Maybe he can only give you 10 carries a game, but he can also produce big time in the slot ,and we need a true slot..

97 carries for 771 yards and 8 TDS..That's over 7.7 yards per carry in the big 10..Pretty much a touchdown every 10 touches. .Whose to say what he would do if he had more opportunities?  That doesn't include all his receiving stats either...I'll take him..

7 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Mixon is more of an every down back. .I love Mixons talent as a runner just don't trust he will not get suspended at some point.. I would take him in 4th if he is there. ..Samuel is just a playmaker, he could break 1 anytime running or receiving. ..He would probably be a 10 -15 carry a game guy, but can still stay on the field and play slot and give you 10 catches too....I do think he can put on 15 pounds and become a great everydown back 25 carry guy too..I would keep him like he is and use him as a change of pace guy and a slot at first and go from there..Good value as far as IMPACT for a mid 3rd round pick..Similar to Tyreke Hill, but much better receiver..

I like that big play ability with versatility. We can line up in a I Formation with a tight end as a FB and hand off to him OR if the Defense is in a Base D we can empty out and go 5 wide.

9 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

After Fournette and Cook, I think Mixon is the next best option from a pure talent standpoint. That being said...I don't want anything to do with that baggage.

Samuel and Mixon don't even compare. They're completely different backs. 

He'd be fun to have. Gives the O options. Run him, use him in the slot. Can probably draw some trick plays too with him in mind.

But the team needs an every down running back. One they can rely on to carry the load if need be. Granted, on Indy's offense, the passing attack is always the number 1 threat, but they still need a guy to carry it 15 + times a game to keep defenses honest. I don't think Samuel can be that guy. So whilst having him would be cool, it's not essential to this O and certainly not the best way to Colts can spend a third round pick.

By the way, and I might be wrong, but isn't he getting 2nd round grades by a lot of people right now? I'll have to check again but I'm pretty sure he is.

So basically were taking a receiver in the 3rd round? Let me be the first to say hell no I dont want Curtis Samuel as my wr/rb. IDC that he can play a little running back, the rest of them can play a lot of running back. Plus he won't be there in the 3rd, but even if he was why take the rawest RB, when he isn't an RB if were being real, when Mixon could be there Jamal Williams. Definitely disagree

22 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Montgomery is nowhere near him as far as speed, twitchiness, cut on a dime ability, and I always have liked Montgomery...Barrett got a ton of carries there so I think that's hard to know...Samuel isn't tiny, he is pretty much same size as McCaffery and hasn't had injury issues so I don't know where he can only handle 10 carries comes from...

If you watched him every game, I think you can tell he isn't a workhorse RB. I like him. Has good potential. I wouldn't mind him in the 4th. But not the top 3 rounds as better pure RUNNING BACKS will be available. He will likely go bottom of the second to NE and they will make him a super star. Give him 8-10 snaps at RB and play him some in the slot. And he will be great. Lol

If he falls to the 3rd I would take Joe Mixon. I've seen some talk of people not thinking he can be THE guy, and I humbly disagree. He's a big back and has explosiveness and big play ability. I see some Le'Veon Bell in some aspects of his style, particularly his versatility. Depending on players available I'd even take him in the 2nd. I don't really want a back in the 1st and would prefer defense, but for me Mixon and Cook are the best fits for us at running back if we were to take one.

2 hours ago, OneNation said:

If he falls to the 3rd I would take Joe Mixon. I've seen some talk of people not thinking he can be THE guy, and I humbly disagree. He's a big back and has explosiveness and big play ability. I see some Le'Veon Bell in some aspects of his style, particularly his versatility. Depending on players available I'd even take him in the 2nd. I don't really want a back in the 1st and would prefer defense, but for me Mixon and Cook are the best fits for us at running back if we were to take one.

The question isn't if he has the talent to be THE guy, it's the baggage that comes with him that makes him a risk. He will either be the smartest pick of the draft or the dumbest. If I'm a new GM I'm not sure i take that risk unless he falls a lot. I think if he somehow falls to our 4th round comp pick then we shouldnt even think twice about it. But anytime before that is a risk. Especially if Jimmy raye gets the GM job. He's connected to the Grigson regime so any pick he make is going to be highly scrutinized by both the fan base and the media. 

TL/DR: Mixon is a risky pick for a new GM, and before he falls enough for it to make sense, he will be scooped up by someone else. 

On 21/01/2017 at 11:35 AM, jshipp23 said:

I like the versatility that comes with him and wouldn't be opposed to getting him. His ability in the slot might also light a fire under Dorsett's *** and really get the offense rolling.

I don't think he is an every down back, but I mean Gore put up 1000 yds last yr and turbin actually showed some power in his runs. I would be perfectly fine running Gore or Turbin 15-20 times a game and Samuel getting 10-15 touches as a change of pace (with a handful of snaps at WR as well). 

My other worry would be the coaches not using him to his potential. We technically already have a small quick RB with big play potential and a decent 40 time. Todman runs a 4.4 and we didn't even give him double digit carries for the SEASON.  Granted Samuel is a better prospect than todman,  but the fact that todman was buried behind even Josh Ferguson goes to show how little they valued a skill set like his (at least as far as RB was concerned). 

5 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

The question isn't if he has the talent to be THE guy, it's the baggage that comes with him that makes him a risk. He will either be the smartest pick of the draft or the dumbest. If I'm a new GM I'm not sure i take that risk unless he falls a lot. I think if he somehow falls to our 4th round comp pick then we shouldnt even think twice about it. But anytime before that is a risk. Especially if Jimmy raye gets the GM job. He's connected to the Grigson regime so any pick he make is going to be highly scrutinized by both the fan base and the media. 

TL/DR: Mixon is a risky pick for a new GM, and before he falls enough for it to make sense, he will be scooped up by someone else. 

It'd be riskier to draft cook/Fournette in the 1st than Mixon in later rounds imo. 

7 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

He's received a first round grade from draft advisory so if he falls to the third I believe that he'd be a steal. I don't believe he actually goes that high but from a talent standpoint I think he's there. I agree it's risky from the standpoint of the media claiming it's a risky pick. But in all honesty I don't believe there's anything to really worry about with him. Knowing him personally I know his mistake was a unique action rather than the norm. He's grown since the incident and I've been around him quite a few times since when he's been home and he seems legitimately sorry for what he did. I'd take him if he's there in the third for sure, possibly the second.

Take Dalvin Cook, trade up if you have to, he's a beast it will complement Luck on the offense and he won't get battered too many times with a quality RB in the offense.  As for the defense, if you're getting paid millions to make a decision who to draft, use your head that's what you're getting paid for.....think outside the box...

On 1/21/2017 at 2:31 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I can't stand watching highlight film reels.  They showcase their athleticism and that's about it.  A play that breaks down and the guy runs and makes 4 cuts in the backfield before finally getting the edge on a gassed defensive front is unusable tape.  Running through a hole 6 feet wide and uncontested for 60 yard TD is hardly usable.  

8 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I can't stand watching highlight film reels.  They showcase their athleticism and that's about it.  A play that breaks down and the guy runs and makes 4 cuts in the backfield before finally getting the edge on a gassed defensive front is unusable tape.  Running through a hole 6 feet wide and uncontested for 60 yard TD is hardly usable.  

I hope nobody uses highlight tapes to judge prospects..