Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay appreciation thread

azcolt

I've thought about this for awhile now... and as much as I dislike Pagano and Grigson, I think Irsay showing constraint and not making a rush to judgement to fire anyone ACTUALLY makes us a more attractive landing spot for potential GMs and coaches next offseason. Irsay said this would be a rebuilding season, and if he cuts bait on this regime after just having handed out long-term extensions to both last off-season, it makes him look weak, impulsive and lacking of patience to let things play themselves out. What (good/great) coach or GM would want to walk into an organization where the owner has the reputation of chopping heads the moment things turn sour? 

The faith he is displaying (no matter how misguided it may be) in Pagano and Grigson, whether intentional or not, is sowing seeds for the future. Maybe the person(s) he is looking for is not ready to leave their current situation yet. It seems to me his uneagerness to make drastic change is more a consequence of promoting continuity. 

Some of the greatest coaches of all-time (Walsh, Belichick, Noll) had slow starts to their coaching careers, and while I'm certainly not suggesting Pagano is a future great in the making, the fact that Irsay is showing patience with him bodes well for us when it comes time to replace him. It makes the hiring pool that much deeper for us because we have an owner who is willing to give a coach/gm time to turn things around

For as much hate as he is receiving lately for not making hasty decisions, I for one, DO appreciate the greatness he has helped cultivate in this franchise. He's having a rough go of it lately, but I still trust that he knows what he's doing at the end of the day

I like Jimmy because he cares about what his fan base thinks about their franchise, he is driven to win another SB, he is generous to his fanbase [with money & time], & he only listens to loyal blue horseshoe supporters up to a point. Translation: Jimmy knows when it's time to make a change on his own terms & I respect that. It's his team; his investment not mine. 

Plus, musicians by & large are welcoming people & not colossal jerks in real life. And the worse you play & sing, the nicer you are. Probably because you want listeners to be more sympathetic in their critique that way. 

Watch Irsay land a record deal next week & make me look like a real buffoon. haha

Okay, fair enough. I'm not as good of a percussion player as I wish I was. My bad Jimmy. Sorry dude. 

4 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I really don't understand why Colts fans take such issue with Irsay's guitar collecting hobby. It's a really petty thing to criticize him for.

I think what it is. Is resentment that such famous treasures by famous guitar players like Dylan & Prince collect dust & aren't used much.

Really, it's just people mad that their income doesn't allow them to buy iconic guitars & hang out with legendary artists. Pure jealousy that's all. At least Jimmy takes great care of the merchandize he buys keeping guitars in pristine condition. As a trained archivist myself, I know when folks handle rare items with care & I can tell Jimmy clearly does.  

17 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I really don't understand why Colts fans take such issue with Irsay's guitar collecting hobby. It's a really petty thing to criticize him for.

Agree.   I love his collection.   If I had the "means"  I would do the same.  

18 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

He was never my owner, but he was a heck of a ball boy in 72 !

That's why I have so much respect for Jim Irsay. He's held down pretty much every position from ball boy, to where he sits today. Props to his old man for giving his son a very valuable lesson, starting early in his son's developmental/informative years. Irsay loves the Colts more than most. Maybe not as much as you Baltimore old timers! lol :)

I like Jim.  He has had issues in the past, and worked them out. ( and having myself been close to family who've went through what kind of addiction he has, the man has STEEL WALNUTS to apparently beat his.  As an owner, He's made some apparent bad decisions, and made a LOT of obviously great ones.  I actually agree in his decision to keep Pags.  For 1 more year atleast.. I see a lot of things pointing up for next year, especially on the Offense.  If he can just get Grigs to add Quality defensive players this year in positions of need, we have a shot at being a contender,... again.

4 hours ago, GoColtsWin said:

That's why I have so much respect for Jim Irsay. He's held down pretty much every position from ball boy, to where he sits today. Props to his old man for giving his son a very valuable lesson, starting early in his son's developmental/informative years. Irsay loves the Colts more than most. Maybe not as much as you Baltimore old timers! lol :)

I agree, the kid definitely started at the bottom. You can criticize the old man for a lot of things, but if you are bringing a son into the business, let him start at the bottom and work his way up.