Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, HOZER said:

No more baseball for me, I’ll stay tuned to the developments and such, but I no longer have a dog in this fight.

Here is my last 5 season run tribute to the Cubs (2015-2019 seasons):

2015 = 97-65 made WCard game, lost in NLCS

2016 = 103-58 won the NL Central, won the NL Pennant, won the WS

2017 = 92-70 won the NL Central, lost in the NLCS

2018 = 96-67 made WCard game, lost in WCard game

2019 = 84-78 missed the Playoffs but still won 84 games

Totals = 472-338 (58.3% winnings) = very good

Banners team wise:

2015 NL Playoff Appearance

2016 NL Playoff Appearance

2016 NL Central Champions

2016 NL Pennant Champions

2016 World Series Champions

2017 Playoff Appearance

2017 NL Central Champions

2018 NL Playoff Appearance

-in Baseball they do hang banners and break out champagne when you even make the Playoffs lmao . It is different from Football and Basketball.

Banners player/manager/FO wise:

2015 NL Manager of the Year Joe Maddon

2015 NL Cy Young Jake Arrieta

2016 Theo Epstein Sporting News Executive of the Year

2016 NL MVP Kris Bryant

2016 NLCS MVP Javier Baez

2016 World Series MVP Ben Zobrist

-I want to thank people like Len Kasper and Jim Deshaies for the play by play on TV for these last 5 seasons. They are the best. I get about 95% of games where I live. It has been a pleasure to see and listen to the beautiful Kelly Crull doing pre and post games interviews each in every game too. David Kaplin, I love the guy in post games shows, I agree with him 99% of the time. I want to thank @HOZER for hanging the flag after many wins as well.

I guess this is good night to Cubs nation for a hell of a 5 season run.

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Banners team wise:

2017 Playoff Appearance

-in Baseball they do hang banners and break out champagne when you even make the Playoffs lmao . It is different from Football and Basketball.

2016 NL MVP Kris Bryant

-I want to think people like Len Kasper and Jim Deshaies for the play by play on TV for these last 5 seasons. They are the best. I get about 95% of games where I live. It has been a pleasure to see and listen to the beautiful Kelly Crull doing pre and post games each in every night too. David Kaplin, I love the guy in post games shows, I agree with him 99% of the time. I want to think @HOZER for hanging the flag after many wins as well.

You are right, we have had a lot to be thankful for as Cubs fans for the last 5 years. Multiple playoff appearances, all star players, a championship, etc, etc. Cubs have gained a lot of new fans, and Wrigley Field and Wrigleyville  has been reborn. Many good things going for them, and hopefully they are a good manager and a few players away from being a championship team once again.

I will miss the crew on NBCSports Chicago.... Kaplan, DeJesus, Glanville, and will absolutely miss Kelly Krull. Hopefully she will be able to continue her career, maybe even get a promotion. She’s actually from Indy and is a Colts fan!!! Not sure what to think of the “Marquee Cubs Network,” or if I’m going to be willing to pay for it.

I know I’ve been a little bitter lately, but harbor no ill will to the teams still in it, definitely not the Cards. They fought their tales off and earned it, hopefully they can get themselves another championship for their fans on here. 

This is was a tough weekend for being a Cubs, Colts and Purdue fan. And to top it off, I went to the Colts game today with my son, and was absolutely embarrassed at how many Raiders fans were at our stadium and how absolutely childish they acted after they won. I was shocked and my son was shook that adults could act so immature over a game. You would swear they thought they just won the Super Bowl, my god. They beat a mediocre team that was missing a majority of their good players, good job.

ANYWAY.....

Thanks to my man @2006Coltsbestever for being my fellow Cubs hype man on here and for always dropping some knowledge and keeping things interesting!!! We have a lot to look forward to my friend!!!!

23 minutes ago, HOZER said:

You are right, we have had a lot to be thankful for as Cubs fans for the last 5 years. Multiple playoff appearances, all star players, a championship, etc, etc. Cubs have gained a lot of new fans, and Wrigley Field and Wrigleyville  has been reborn. Many good things going for them, and hopefully they are a good manager and a few players away from being a championship team once again.

I will miss the crew on NBCSports Chicago.... Kaplan, DeJesus, Glanville, and will absolutely miss Kelly Krull. Hopefully she will be able to continue her career, maybe even get a promotion. She’s actually from Indy and is a Colts fan!!! Not sure what to think of the “Marquee Cubs Network,” or if I’m going to be willing to pay for it.

I know I’ve been a little bitter lately, but harbor no ill will to the teams still in it, definitely not the Cards. They fought their tales off and earned it, hopefully they can get themselves another championship for their fans on here. 

This is was a tough weekend for being a Cubs, Colts and Purdue fan. And to top it off, I went to the Colts game today with my son, and was absolutely embarrassed at how many Raiders fans were at our stadium and how absolutely childish they acted after they won. I was shocked and my son was shook that adults could act so immature over a game. You would swear they thought they just won the Super Bowl, my god. They beat a mediocre team that was missing a majority of their good players, good job.

I am hammered so I just changed think to thank. See above. Now my speech looks perfect, stressed homer simpson GIFI knew something was wrong with that speech lmao . I guess when it is fishing time, it doesn't matter haha . I think we are going to see a Dodgers vs Astros WS again. Astros in 6 this time IMO.

28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am hammered so I just changed think to thank. See above. Now my speech looks perfect, stressed homer simpson GIFI knew something was wrong with that speech lmao . I guess when it is fishing time, it doesn't matter haha . I think we are going to see a Dodgers vs Astros WS again. Astros in 6 this time IMO.

Boy do I wish I was hammered earlier, would have made it less painful, but couldn’t due to having my son with me.   Probably wouldn’t have ended well for some of those opposing * fans either, lol. I also added one last part to mine too, I almost left out the most important thing I wanted to post, lol!!!

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, no way in hell we should've not made the playoffs with the team we had. I love you Maddon but time for a new face. I think on paper we were better than Brewers and Nats, we should've been a WCard at worse.

I fully expected you to be , reason it bothered me the Cards won all them games in Chicago. I feel the Cubs fell victim to the tough late season schedule , just as the Cards almost did. The last ten the Brewers had one of the easiest in the League .

39 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't pick the Dodgers to make it Give me the winner of the Atlanta , Cards series and Astros in 6 lol. The Cards are the best team in the National league since Allstar break I think the Braves a close second if I am not mistaken. Everyone is entitled to an opinion . Lol that's why they still play the games. My opinion is the Astros are a shoulder above everyone else in the League and could turn into the closest thing to a dynasty we have seen for years. Yes they are that good really no real weakness to attack. You just have to flat out have your very best games and out play them.

2 hours ago, HOZER said:

No more baseball for me, I’ll stay tuned to the developments and such, but I no longer have a dog in this fight.

That's where we are different my friend if a Central team other than the Brewers are there any year I will always back them. I just flat out love the game. 

5 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

That's where we are different my friend if a Central team other than the Brewers are there any year I will always back them. I just flat out love the game. 

I love the game as well, but am loyal to my team I guess. Like I said earlier, no ill will towards the Cards, I wish them all the luck now that the Cubs are out.

Well, the Cardinals sure made that nerve-racking!  On Friday, the broadcasters on MLB Network were slamming Maddon for not fielding his best team, although there were guys injured.  So, the Cubs clobbered the Cardinals that night and again on Saturday.

The Braves are very, very good, but do not have what I would consider dominant pitching.  Our pitching has been solid of late, so this series could go either way.  We have to keep Acuna and Freeman in check to have a chance to win this series.

As mentioned, the Dodgers are the best in the NL, but they always find a way to lose, so I'm hoping they find that again :)

I'm going to predict Cardinals vs. Rays in the World Series!

On 9/29/2019 at 8:57 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Banners team wise:

2017 Playoff Appearance

2016 NL MVP Kris Bryant

-I want to thank people like Len Kasper and Jim Deshaies for the play by play on TV for these last 5 seasons. They are the best. I get about 95% of games where I live. It has been a pleasure to see and listen to the beautiful Kelly Crull doing pre and post games interviews each in every game too. David Kaplin, I love the guy in post games shows, I agree with him 99% of the time. I want to thank @HOZER for hanging the flag after many wins as well.

Is this a eulogy?

I think it was time for Maddon to go.   Managing a team built to be a favorite isn't his thing.   I think he needs the challenge of bringing a mediocre team to greatness like he did in Tampa and Chicago.  Then when the team is the favorite, I think he gets bored.   San Diego or Concy should bring him in.  

I think the Cubs need to think hard before hiring the next manager.   They have a highly sought after position available that almost any manager would want.   They should not settle in any way.  They don't have to hire an ex player to fill the role.  10 years ago, that would make sense for the fan goodwill and such, but they don't need to do that now.  

5 hours ago, Myles said:

Is this a eulogy?

I think it was time for Maddon to go.   Managing a team built to be a favorite isn't his thing.   I think he needs the challenge of bringing a mediocre team to greatness like he did in Tampa and Chicago.  Then when the team is the favorite, I think he gets bored.   San Diego or Concy should bring him in.  

I think the Cubs need to think hard before hiring the next manager.   They have a highly sought after position available that almost any manager would want.   They should not settle in any way.  They don't have to hire an ex player to fill the role.  10 years ago, that would make sense for the fan goodwill and such, but they don't need to do that now.  

"Is this a eulogy"? No but it is an end of an era. The Joe Maddon era is over. It has also been the best 5 season stretch the Cubs have had since the early 1900's. Names that are floating around for new Cubs managers are David Ross and Joe Girardi. I haven't heard much else.

8 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

What a dub for the Nats! They looked like trash the whole game basically but Scherzer hung in there, Stras was too nasty and FINALLY they caught a lucky break.

Anything is possible. On to the Dodgers

Congrats! :applause:  All the best in the next round. 

Happy for the Nats, and especially for Zimmerman.  That was a freakish hit, but he's been there so long and to keep that rally going was cool to see.

I think the Nats stack up well against the Dodgers...they have three #1-type starters and that always bodes well in playoff series situations.  They are young and hungry, with a lot of offensive prowess.  Going to predict they upset the Dodgers.

47 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Happy for the Nats, and especially for Zimmerman.  That was a freakish hit, but he's been there so long and to keep that rally going was cool to see.

I think the Nats stack up well against the Dodgers...they have three #1-type starters and that always bodes well in playoff series situations.  They are young and hungry, with a lot of offensive prowess.  Going to predict they upset the Dodgers.

I may be wrong but I really do not seeing anyone beating the Dodgers in the NL. I really do not have a dog in this fight now. I just wanted to see the Brewers lose and it happened already. It is all good.

Somehow, the Dodgers always seem to fall just short.  The LA on the hats means Lost Again...ha, ha.

I just want to see the Dodgers lose, and I believe the Nats have a very good chance.  Meanwhile, the Cardinals-Braves series should be very interesting.  Of course, I want the Cardinals to win it all.

Rooting for the Rays tonight in the Low Payroll One Game Series.

Would love to see the Twins knock off the Yankees, but that's a tall order.

The Astros should go back to the WS again behind their 3 headed pitching monster.

5 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Somehow, the Dodgers always seem to fall just short.  The LA on the hats means Lost Again...ha, ha.

I just want to see the Dodgers lose, and I believe the Nats have a very good chance.  Meanwhile, the Cardinals-Braves series should be very interesting.  Of course, I want the Cardinals to win it all.

Rooting for the Rays tonight in the Low Payroll One Game Series.

Would love to see the Twins knock off the Yankees, but that's a tall order.

The Astros should go back to the WS again behind their 3 headed pitching monster.

I think the Cards will beat the Braves but that will probably go all 5 games. It would be cool if the Nats beat the Dodgers but that will be tough for them to do. Big game tonight between the Rays at A's, should be a good one. I think the Astros are going to win it all if I had to pick 1 team to do so.

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here is Brewer fan tonight fat guy swimming GIF by Cheezburger - well another year without a championship and we have 0 championships in franchise history, here is Cub fan chicago cubs champions GIF by MLB ,see this haha  this just happened 2 years ago, here is Nat fan after tonight mr t dancing GIF ,take that sucker who needs Harper lmao .

It is just so fun to see the Brewers lose a playoff game especially Hader

On 10/2/2019 at 12:15 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here is Brewer fan tonight fat guy swimming GIF by Cheezburger - well another year without a championship and we have 0 championships in franchise history, here is Cub fan chicago cubs champions GIF by MLB ,see this haha  this just happened 2 years ago, here is 

Careful.   It's not a good look for a Cubs fan to make fun of the Brewers for not winning a championship in their 50 year history when the Cubs have 1 in the last 111 years.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Careful.   It's not a good look for a Cubs fan to make fun of the Brewers for not winning a championship in their 50 year history when the Cubs have 1 in the last 111 years.  

That’s still one more then they have had, well, ever, so I don’t see an issue in bringing it up. A lot of their fans talk a lot of crap too, and this year deservingly so as they were the better team that made it further then the Cubs. I get crap from Reds and Cards fans too.  If there’s  Brewers fans on here they’ll fire back, it’s all in fun.

44 minutes ago, HOZER said:

That’s still one more then they have had, well, ever, so I don’t see an issue in bringing it up. A lot of their fans talk a lot of crap too, and this year deservingly so as they were the better team that made it further then the Cubs. I get crap from Reds and Cards fans too.  If there’s  Brewers fans on here they’ll fire back, it’s all in fun.

11 in 93 years for my team.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

11 in 93 years for my team.

See there you go! That’s quite the accomplishment!

Although...I guess I’m one of those what have you done lately type of fans...like in the last five years with this current team or group of players. I know players come and go often, but the core usually sticks around for a while. “That” team is no longer on the field.

I find it weird for fans to brag or throw it in someone’s face about accomplishments that were done by completely different teams, different players, maybe even different owners, especially when it’s before some of them were fans of the team or maybe even before they were born? Don’t get me wrong people should be proud of their teams history, but I just don’t think that has anything to do with the team on the field today.  I guess what I’m trying to say is that there should be a statute of limitations on bragging rights I guess, lol. :dunno:

5 hours ago, Myles said:

Actually if we really wanted to get technical since MLB started in 1903 the Cubs have 3 WS Titles and not just 1. We won 2 in 1907 and 1908 if you want to bring history into it. 1-0 and 3-0 is more of a difference. Having said that we just won one 3 seasons ago and the Brewers have won none in their 50 season existence. Brewers fans give Cubs fans crap all the time but do not have the ammo to back up the words. So yes I am very happy they lost and my post shows that lmao 

Okay the field is set after the wild card games.  Rays got a big win on the road, but now have to go to Houston, which will be tough.  I just hope when that series goes to Tampa that they can fill that ballpark.  I know it's a terrible facility, but this team has won over 90 games each of the past to seasons and they have some very good young players.  They are fun to watch and I hope the fanbase will be there to make that place loud.

My Cardinals get the party started this afternoon in Atlanta!!!  All the series should be entertaining and all the teams in the playoffs had great seasons.

Here we go!

50 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Actually if we really wanted to get technical since MLB started in 1903 the Cubs have 3 WS Titles and not just 1. We won 2 in 1907 and 1908 if you want to bring history into it. 1-0 and 3-0 is more of a difference. Having said that we just won one 3 seasons ago and the Brewers have won none in their 50 season existence. Brewers fans give Cubs fans crap all the time but do not have the ammo to back up the words. So yes I am very happy they lost and my post shows that lmao 

I guess since I'm not a Cubs fan, I haven't witnessed Brewers fans with poor behavior.  

I would just think if there was any fan base that wouldn't give a team crap for not winning a championship in a long time, it would be the Cubs.   But if they are that bad to you, I guess it's OK for both.   

51 minutes ago, Myles said:

I guess since I'm not a Cubs fan, I haven't witnessed Brewers fans with poor behavior.  

I would just think if there was any fan base that wouldn't give a team crap for not winning a championship in a long time, it would be the Cubs.   But if they are that bad to you, I guess it's OK for both.   

My problem is I read too many other message boards and listen to way too many radio shows. I see how Brewers fans are. If Cardinals fans want to talk smack that is fine, they have earned it with 11 WS Titles. You and others have the ammo to do so. When Brewers fans do it or even Whitesox do it, nah that doesn't fly with me. Whitesox also only have 3 WS Titles (1906, 1917, 2005) in their existence and it took them 88 seasons to win another until they won it 2005. Yet that fanbase kept yapping away until 2016 and they have sucked for the last decade lmao .  

-Also if a person is a what have you done for me lately type, going by this whole decade (2010-2019) the Cubs and Cards each have won 1 WS which that is a tie by a decade's sample size. Cubs also had a winning record during this decade by going 817-803 overall. Last WS that the Brewers won was never, Whitesox last won it in 2005. 

1 hour ago, Barry Sears said:

Okay the field is set after the wild card games.  Rays got a big win on the road, but now have to go to Houston, which will be tough.  I just hope when that series goes to Tampa that they can fill that ballpark.  I know it's a terrible facility, but this team has won over 90 games each of the past to seasons and they have some very good young players.  They are fun to watch and I hope the fanbase will be there to make that place loud.

My Cardinals get the party started this afternoon in Atlanta!!!  All the series should be entertaining and all the teams in the playoffs had great seasons.

Here we go!

NL

I have Cards over Braves 3 games to 2. Cards will advance.

I have Dodgers over Nats 3 games to 1. Dodgers will advance.

AL

I have Yankees over Twins 3 games to 2. Yankees will advance.

I have Astros over Rays 3 games to 1. Astros will advance.

Archived