Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alshon Jeffery

I know this may be early, and perhaps too dreamy. But I think that Alshon Jeffery would make a wonderful pair with T.Y Hilton. I know the first response will be from most is that we already have Donte Moncrief. And I will agree that Moncrief has been sure handed int he past, and great in short yardage and red zone situations. However, I do not think he takes enough attention away from Hilton. Not only does he not need to be accounted for (outside of the end zone) but, he can not be trusted to carry the receiving corps if Hilton is doubled or bracketed by the defense.

I Like Moncrief's size, and I like that he gives us more options in the red zone. However I do not like that the only thing he is good at; is, being inconsistent.. He has had his highlights, but so would any other receiver on the other end of an Andrew Luck thrown ball, if given enough opportunities. (Rogers)

I also know that our defense is in severe need of a pass rusher, a seasoned coverage ILB, and a real outside cornerback to pair with Davis. However, if you look at this draft it is severely lacking in offensive potential and bursting at the seams with defensive potential. If we resign Doyle, and take a look at Jeffery I think this would allow Luck to not have to rely on Hilton as much. 

3 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

I know this may be early, and perhaps too dreamy. But I think that Alshon Jeffery would make a wonderful pair with T.Y Hilton. I know the first response will be from most is that we already have Donte Moncrief. And I will agree that Moncrief has been sure handed int he past, and great in short yardage and red zone situations. However, I do not think he takes enough attention away from Hilton. Not only does he not need to be accounted for (outside of the end zone) but, he can not be trusted to carry the receiving corps if Hilton is doubled or bracketed by the defense.

I Like Moncrief's size, and I like that he gives us more options in the red zone. However I do not like that the only thing he is good at; is, being inconsistent.. He has had his highlights, but so would any other receiver on the other end of an Andrew Luck thrown ball, if given enough opportunities. (Rogers)

I also know that our defense is in severe need of a pass rusher, a seasoned coverage ILB, and a real outside cornerback to pair with Davis. However, if you look at this draft it is severely lacking in offensive potential and bursting at the seams with defensive potential. If we resign Doyle, and take a look at Jeffery I think this would allow Luck to not have to rely on Hilton as much. 

Jeffrey is a world beater compaired to Moncrief.

Don't think we need him.  There's this thing called a balanced offense that would help very much in getting guys open.  If all you can do is pass the football then of course you're going to have problems getting guys open. If we took the necessary measures to ensure we were able to run the football almost as well as we passed the football then guys could get open more often.  We already score enough points as it is.  I'm more concerned with us being a balanced offense than I am picking up another WR. I think we should invest further in the OL, make more of a commitment to running the football successfully and add more explosiveness to our RB Corps. 

I'm still down with the Air Coryal deep passing attack system, but it's more deadly when you're able to run the football consistently.  Don't think we need another WR.  The offense we had with Peyton Manning was extra deadly with the threat of a young Edgerrin James in his prime. They had to pick their poison.  This offense we have right now is good, but it's not pick your poison because the running game is only decent to mediocre.  We need to take that next step to where it is very good to great.  The 2006 Indianapolis Colts if you pay attention were pretty good at running the football and they were also committed to it when they did it.  That's where we need to be.  A balanced offense.

I'm cool with whoever we take in the first round as long as they are BPA and a hell of a football player. It wouldn't make me mad if that were a Fournette, Cook etc.  We need to be able to run this rock.  I'd prefer a pass rusher with that pick ideally or a cornerback, but if it's Fournette or Cook I ain't trippin.  Just my opinion.  I wouldn't even care if we flipped the script and snatched up Karlos Williams off whatever team he's on now.  If you want to do it that way then fine.  By whatever means necessary we need to be able to run this rock consistently in 2017.

For the right price, like I have vouched for before, the underneath option we can go after is Pierre Garcon who won't cost nearly as much as Alshon but will be productive, IMO, in our offense. We have enough talent on the outside, need an underneath option.

It will be like what Boldin did for Flacco, in the few years he was with the Ravens, provide that big bodied underneath option.

6 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

We need a WR that won't drop the ball and will stay healthy.

I understand that we need a guy like that , but I'm saying that we need to use that money on defense. Luck can survive with the wrs he has but we not going to win anything with out more talent on defense 

2 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

I understand that we need a guy like that , but I'm saying that we need to use that money on defense. Luck can survive with the wrs he has but we not going to win anything with out more talent on defense 

I'm not sure I agree about doing anything with our current receivers. Maybe our guys grow a little. If you look at my first post you'll see my comments about our D. I'm also a fan of guys with sure hands. You don't need to pay a guy like Jeffrey to make sure you have a receiver that has good hands.

10 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

I'm not sure I agree about doing anything with our current receivers. Maybe our guys grow a little. If you look at my first post you'll see my comments about our D. I'm also a fan of guys with sure hands. You don't need to pay a guy like Jeffrey to make sure you have a receiver that has good hands.

Of course you need more than just sure hands. Reggie Wayne and Andre Johnson had sure hands at the end of their careers. Having lost a step, they just couldn't reliably get open anymore.

For the record, I was unhappy with the Dorsett pick not only because WR was not  position of need at the time, but because he was a smurf like Hilton and Bray. Moncrief was an unknown quantity at the time. I prefer receivers who can out physical DBs for 50/50 balls. QB in a bind on 3rd down...throw the ball high to your guy who can go up for the ball and he has a very good chance of making the play or making sure the DB can't make a play on the ball. When Luck is in trouble he often tries to force the ball to Hilton. I know the fault lies primarily with Luck, but he doesn't have the good safety valve that he had with Wayne during his rookie season. Marino was quite successful with smallish Mark Clayton and Mark Duper as his wideouts. There are likely other examples, but that is generally the exception.