Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tom Coughlin on top of Jaguars head coaching candidates

RockThatBlue

Funny they fired him in the 90's cause he couldn't get them over the hump and now they want him back.  

Although I sort of have the view that they should try and find a younger coach.  Jags are gonna take some time to turn around and it's questionable how much Couglin still has in him.

It would be different if you where looking for a coach to take a talented team over the hump.  But a full turnaround job is probably something you want a younger coach for.  

He'd be perfect.

I said it In another thread recenty, young coaches are a freaking epidemic. Sure the perfect scenario is a young coach who will win 10 SBs in 30 years but that hasn't happened yet, and for every young coach who was the guy for his team there have been a dozen washouts (some of whom were meant to be coaches but sabatoged because it happened to early, after being hired simply because they were young).

Now obviously not every old guy needs to be a coach either (lol!) but guys like Coughlin, Arians (before this year) etc have done great jobs lately. There is just something about an old man yelling that motivates players. Most coaches used to be old(er), that's why we went on to use the phrase "young coach" so much.

Didn't he even move back to Jacksonville already? He's said more than once that he's not done, and motivation was never the reason they ever lost a game (cept maybe week 17 against the Vikings in 2009 lol). If he's genuinely motivated I'd take him. I also don't think there would be any failure to recapture the magic in this case like I think there would be between Harbaugh and Luck. This is just personal enough to matter but not to personal for it to fail for other reasons. 

Coughlin is the only coach to ever take the Jags on a deep playoff run, and he did it twice. 

They accomplished their best season in franchise history under him in 1999 when they finished 14-2. Both losses came to the same team (Tennessee) and some can argue that they probably reach the SB that year had they just avoided Tennessee if the 'Music City Miracle' never happened. 

Would be a smart hire to go back for Coughlin. And in the process, change those ridiculous uniforms and go back to the 90's stuff.