Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Salary Cap Implications Of Retired/injured

ColtJ82

If prior to March 8th, Manning was to announce that he was retiring due to injury, what would the cap implication be? I assume it would be the same as if we cut him, but was curious if the NFL has some type of protection built in for this situation. Would the Colts be granted any relief?

Any information would be appreciated.

If prior to March 8th, Manning was to announce that he was retiring due to injury, what would the cap implication be? I assume it would be the same as if we cut him, but was curious if the NFL has some type of protection built in for this situation. Would the Colts be granted any relief?

Not sure about the cap hit if he retires.... but if we don't pick up the option and he's released the cap hit is roughly 10 million.

It would be the same as if he were cut.

10.4 dead space cap hit in 2012.

Even with Manning's 10 million cap hit, after the restructuring or trading of Freeney, we would still have more money than we have had in a little while to go out and possibly get a guy like OG Carl Nicks. Remember we may cut Brackett, Bullitt, Clark, and Addai and we are losing Saturday and Wayne so that relieves cap space as well.

Even with Manning's 10 million cap hit, after the restructuring or trading of Freeney, we would still have more money than we have had in a little while to go out and possibly get a guy like OG Carl Nicks. Remember we may cut Brackett, Bullitt, Clark, and Addai and we are losing Saturday and Wayne so that relieves cap space as well.

Cutting all those guys just adds to the dead cap space doesn't it?

I think we'll try to fit some of those guys into whatever the new system is, and get them closer to the end of their contracts if they don't fit in.

Besides, I don't get the feel that we're making a hard cut over to new schemes, just that we'll be transitioning.

But, then again, just what are the new schemes anyway? Not known yet.

If we trade him, the other team should be able to take on the cap burden, but we need him to get healthy for teams to want to pull the trigger. With the signs of Manning's health still in limbo, I'm beginning to think he could have issues playing even into next season!

bump....anyone have any insights on the retired/injured and actual cap implications?

I actually think, based on Tarik Glenn's situation, if he retires, he has to repay part of the bonus he was paid last year. Not sure, but I know that Tarik repaid several million when retired. That may eliminate the 10.4 hit, but Manning may not retire, even if he is not healthy. He may continue to rehab on his own and see where he is by the start of training camps and then he keeps all of the bonus and we are hit with the 10.4 million.

There are 2 things that can happen for the Colts in 2012 with Peyton Manning

• The option bonus is picked up/paid, his contract is extended and his 2012 cap hit is 17 million.
  • He is released, thus the option is declined, and this doesn't change if he is forced to retire, we have an acceleration of 10.4 millions (16 million minus 5.6Million) into the 2012 cap.

Tarik Glenn retired/quit as opposed to being forced to retire via an injury. One would have to look at Manning's specific contract to see what is or isn't guaranteed vs. injury as opposed to more of a declining of skills and that is not a public document.

A trade is still all but impossible.

100% impossible pre-March 8th.

100% impossible if we do not pick up the bonus and he is released

It would be insanely stupid to trade him after paying the option bonus, due to the 38.8 cap acceleration such a trade would cause.

There are 2 things that can happen for the Colts in 2012 with Peyton Manning

• The option bonus is picked up/paid, his contract is extended and his 2012 cap hit is 17 million.
  • He is released, thus the option is declined, and this doesn't change if he is forced to retire, we have an acceleration of 10.4 millions (16 million minus 5.6Million) into the 2012 cap.

Tarik Glenn retired/quit as opposed to being forced to retire via an injury. One would have to look at Manning's specific contract to see what is or isn't guaranteed vs. injury as opposed to more of a declining of skills and that is not a public document.

A trade is still all but impossible.

100% impossible pre-March 8th.

100% impossible if we do not pick up the bonus and he is released

It would be insanely stupid to trade him after paying the option bonus, due to the 38.8 cap acceleration such a trade would cause.

Could we pay him the bonus...and then..once the 2012 year begins..restructure his contract lessening our cash and cap oblgations THIS year..

This is the most likely scenario to me....

You dont cut someone you dont know isnt going to recover...

Could we pay him the bonus...and then..once the 2012 year begins..restructure his contract lessening our cash and cap oblgations THIS year..

This is the most likely scenario to me....

You dont cut someone you dont know isnt going to recover...

The only thing he could renegotiate after the new league year starts after receiving the option bonus would be the "base salary" that he is due each year. Nothing could be done to adjust the impending salary cap accelerations that are set in stone by his orginal signing bonus and the additional monies that would be set in stone as soon as his option bonus is picked up and paid.