Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WarGhost's Pick 6: NFL Draft 2017 Edition 1

Welcome to the first WG Pick 6, where I pick the top 6 players I would like the Colts to draft in the 1st round of the 2017 NFL Draft. These players are in the order in which I feel will have the greatest impact on our team from starting with my top option. Please leave your top 6 players you want in the replies section so I can look at more up-and-coming players. Edition 2 will be out by the start of the new year.

1) Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama

We need to get better on defense, both against the run and the pass. Allen will immediately step in and help fix both of these problems. Allen's versatility will allow him to play anywhere along the defensive line, giving him the feel of a JJ Watt. He can rush the passer extremely well and stuff the run with ease. There are many EDGE rushers in this draft class, so we could grab a good one later, and Allen will immediately become one of the faces of this struggling defense if we do bring him in.

2) Myles Garrett, Edge, Texas A&M

Myles Garrett is special. He has everything a team looks for in a pass rusher, and then some. He is a relentless competitor with a knack for finding QB's in the backfield. He has great speed for his size and has the power to run through linemen if he isn't running around them. If Jonathan Allen is a JJ Watt, then Myles Garrett is a Khalil Mack.

3) Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU

The only offensive player in this edition of my Pick 6 just so happens to be the best running back since AP as quoted by nearly every scout out there. I see that he is like AP, but I would like to throw another name into the conversation: some guy who went by the name of Bo Jackson. His blend of raw power, dynamic cutting ability, and breakaway speed is Bo-esque. He will run around you, burst away to get you tired, and then just run through you. Leonard Fournette is an immediate upgrade that will put our offense to the top.

4) Tim Williams, Edge, Alabama

Another Alabama player, I know. Little sneak peak, the next player is from Bama too. They are the best CFB team at grooming players for the NFL, and it shows. Tim Williams is the best pure pass-rusher in the draft, including Myles Garrett. He has struggled against the run a bit but he always seems to be around the QB. He has a nose for getting into the backfield and he could easily become the best player from this draft class in the long run if he manages to fix his run defense.

5) Rueben Foster, ILB, Alabama

I told you it would be Alabama so don't throw a hissy fit. Rueben Foster is the most feared hitter in college football and has good coverage skills to boot. We need a cover LB and run stoppers. Foster is both. It's a match made in heaven. Or Bama I guess...

6) Zach Cunningham, ILB, Vanderbilt

IMO to best cover ILB to come to the NFL in years (not including converted safeties). Cunningham is great in pass defense and can stuff the run when his name is called. He has great speed and a relentless motor. I love the kid.

What do you think of the first edition of the WarGhost Pick 6? Leave comments and ideas in the replies and I will try to answer any questions. Thanks for reading!! GO BLUE!!!!

26 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Welcome to the first WG Pick 6, where I pick the top 6 players I would like the Colts to draft in the 1st round of the 2017 NFL Draft. These players are in the order in which I feel will have the greatest impact on our team from starting with my top option. Please leave your top 6 players you want in the replies section so I can look at more up-and-coming players. Edition 2 will be out by the start of the new year.

We need to get better on defense, both against the run and the pass. Allen will immediately step in and help fix both of these problems. Allen's versatility will allow him to play anywhere along the defensive line, giving him the feel of a JJ Watt. He can rush the passer extremely well and stuff the run with ease. There are many EDGE rushers in this draft class, so we could grab a good one later, and Allen will immediately become one of the faces of this struggling defense if we do bring him in.

Myles Garrett is special. He has everything a team looks for in a pass rusher, and then some. He is a relentless competitor with a knack for finding QB's in the backfield. He has great speed for his size and has the power to run through linemen if he isn't running around them. If Jonathan Allen is a JJ Watt, then Myles Garrett is a Khalil Mack.

The only offensive player in this edition of my Pick 6 just so happens to be the best running back since AP as quoted by nearly every scout out there. I see that he is like AP, but I would like to throw another name into the conversation: some guy who went by the name of Bo Jackson. His blend of raw power, dynamic cutting ability, and breakaway speed is Bo-esque. He will run around you, burst away to get you tired, and then just run through you. Leonard Fournette is an immediate upgrade that will put our offense to the top.

Another Alabama player, I know. Little sneak peak, the next player is from Bama too. They are the best CFB team at grooming players for the NFL, and it shows. Tim Williams is the best pure pass-rusher in the draft, including Myles Garrett. He has struggled against the run a bit but he always seems to be around the QB. He has a nose for getting into the backfield and he could easily become the best player from this draft class in the long run if he manages to fix his run defense.

I told you it would be Alabama so don't throw a hissy fit. Rueben Foster is the most feared hitter in college football and has good coverage skills to boot. We need a cover LB and run stoppers. Foster is both. It's a match made in heaven. Or Bama I guess...

IMO to best cover ILB to come to the NFL in years (not including converted safeties). Cunningham is great in pass defense and can stuff the run when his name is called. He has great speed and a relentless motor. I love the kid.

What do you think of the first edition of the WarGhost Pick 6? Leave comments and ideas in the replies and I will try to answer any questions. Thanks for reading!! GO BLUE!!!!

Ok Garrett isn't falling to the second round and Fournette isn't fallng to the third Cunningham will be gone long before the sixth round its a good dream draft though.

14 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Ok Garrett isn't falling to the second round and Fournette isn't fallng to the third Cunningham will be gone long before the sixth round its a good dream draft though.

This isn't a draft. This is the order in which I would take players with our first round pick

3 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

I'll sound like a broken record this offseason I'm sure, but if we do go RB in the first round (which I don't think we should), I would take Dalvin Cook over Fournette.

27 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'll sound like a broken record this offseason I'm sure, but if we do go RB in the first round (which I don't think we should), I would take Dalvin Cook over Fournette.

I would like to politely ask for your reasoning behind this. There might be something I'm not seeing that you are. Thanks

36 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I would like to politely ask for your reasoning behind this. There might be something I'm not seeing that you are. Thanks

There's a couple of things.  He's got a more prototypical body frame for an NFL RB.  He may need to add a 5 pounds (and probably less than 10), but he's got a lower center of gravity  He cuts better and he's much more proven in the receiving game.  Fournett has some wiggle, but he's a one cut guy - his coaches will absolutely have to break him of his stopping and changing directions in the backfield like it's a video game.  He did that far too much last year (watch the 2015 Bama game).  He might've been better at it this year, but he's been injured on and off, so it's hard to say.  It will take Fournette time to develop 3rd down back traits.

Also, having to respect a guy like Cook on 3rd down (especially obvious passing downs) will keep blitzing to a minimum.  Cook will be able to block well enough that can stay back for max protection, and if he goes out, linebackers will have to go cover him where Cook will create a mismatch against most NFL linebackers.  Or you blitz and leave Cook in space uncovered which will make opposing defenses pay.  

His versatility is what I like over Fournette's.  When I see Cook, I think of Marshall Faulk or perhaps Ladanian Tomlinson.  Guys like Fournette wear down opposing offenses as the game goes along, and while that's great, when you have a quarterback who is top 5-ish, I think you're better served with a guy who is a threat in the passing game as well.  Fournette's ceiling in the running game is higher than any RB, but Cooks running game is elite and his ability in the passing game is what makes him the better NFL prospect to me.

4 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

There's a couple of things.  He's got a more prototypical body frame for an NFL RB.  He may need to add a 5 pounds (and probably less than 10), but he's got a lower center of gravity  He cuts better and he's much more proven in the receiving game.  Fournett has some wiggle, but he's a one cut guy - his coaches will absolutely have to break him of his stopping and changing directions in the backfield like it's a video game.  He did that far too much last year (watch the 2015 Bama game).  He might've been better at it this year, but he's been injured on and off, so it's hard to say.  It will take Fournette time to develop 3rd down back traits.

Also, having to respect a guy like Cook on 3rd down (especially obvious passing downs) will keep blitzing to a minimum.  Cook will be able to block well enough that can stay back for max protection, and if he goes out, linebackers will have to go cover him where Cook will create a mismatch against most NFL linebackers.  Or you blitz and leave Cook in space uncovered which will make opposing defenses pay.  

His versatility is what I like over Fournette's.  When I see Cook, I think of Marshall Faulk or perhaps Ladanian Tomlinson.  Guys like Fournette wear down opposing offenses as the game goes along, and while that's great, when you have a quarterback who is top 5-ish, I think you're better served with a guy who is a threat in the passing game as well.  Fournette's ceiling in the running game is higher than any RB, but Cooks running game is elite and his ability in the passing game is what makes him the better NFL prospect to me.

I may not be exactly on your page,  but I don't want to put words in your mouth....

So....   if I follow,  my read of your comments has you saying Fournette might grade out higher in general,  but for the COLTS,  you think Cook is a better fit.

I'm not sure I'd disagree with that.   

Either way,  while I love them both,  I don't want to use our 1st round pick on either,   and did I mention that I love them both?!?

I'm hoping this year and the next few years are when we finally get around to addressing our massive defensive needs.....

12 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Yeah, same... I like Cook better. He's much more versatile and more shifty, while not sacrificing a ton of power. I just saw you explained your reasoning in the next post, so yah... I don't necessarily disagree with much in it.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I may not be exactly on your page,  but I don't want to put words in your mouth....

So....   if I follow,  my read of your comments has you saying Fournette might grade out higher in general,  but for the COLTS,  you think Cook is a better fit.

I'm not sure I'd disagree with that.   

Either way,  while I love them both,  I don't want to use our 1st round pick on either,   and did I mention that I love them both?!?

I'm hoping this year and the next few years are when we finally get around to addressing our massive defensive needs.....

Oh i definitely dont want to use our first. but if we did, i wouldnt be dissatisfied with either, really.

And what you are saying about my comments is correct, except i would add that me personally would grade Cook higher.

Tim Williams needs to be our guy if we're not picking top 5 or 6. I'm guessing we could pick in the 12-18 range. IMO Williams will be an elite pass rusher. He should improve against the run and become a more complete player. It'd be nice if a guy like Charles Harris fell to the 2nd. I'd love to go back to back EDGE, but we really need a cover LB in the 2nd. I love Cunningham, love him!!! but he'll end up being a top 15 pick IMO, so we'd have to take him in the 1st. No way should we take a RB in the 1st. Our roster isn't stacked from top to bottom so we don't have that luxury. If we had a great defense and a great OL to go with Luck and the receivers yeah maybe, but IMO it'd be crazy. We need an infusion of young talent on defense. At the least we need 2-3 stud EDGE rushers, 2 ILB's with at least one being an excellent coverage LB, and we need a corner oppo Vontae. We can get a feature RB in the 3rd. Especially with how deep this class is for RB's. A guy like Freeman could be there. I'd actually double up on RB's too. Grab one in the 3rd and then another around the 5th, or maybe the 4th considering the compensatory pick we'll have. It's also a good draft for CB's, so It'd be nice to grab a corner in the first 4 rounds.

This is a nice wish list but I'm not sure any of them will be there when we pick which should be at the back end of the draft.  I have seen mocks with Fournette, Cook and Garrett and most good edge rushers going fast.  I really think we are going to try to address our pass rush needs in FA.  If we sign any FA it's going to be on the defensive side.  If we are successful in FA I can see our 1st. pick being BPA in an area of need.  To me BPA at the back of the draft means RB.  With this deep class  I can see Christian McCaffrey as a possibility.  First pick needs to be a starter not a project player.  Our entire draft board will be influenced by what we accomplish in FA. It all feeds off FA  IMO.