Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning, Reggie Miller A Thought I Had

Brett Snyder

That is what is called band wagon, sorry.

I disagree. I can see where you'd make that mistake, but I was always under the impression bandwagoning was atleast in the same sport. I'm not jumping to the ravens, and when reggie left, I didn't jump on the Laker bandwagon. I still watched colts game, but I wasn't religious like I was with Reggie and the Pacers until Reggie left.

There's a difference I believe.

Then jump! See ya later, I wish some of you people would just quit telling us you're going to jump ship if Manning is released and just go jump already. We don't need you and the Colts don't need you. Nobody cares if you jump ship or not. Just go jump on your next bandwagon and leave the real Colts fans to talk about Colts football.

Thank you for saying this. My son and I feel exactly this way. If you can't handle the losing seasons then don't jump on the bandwagon when they are winning. You have to accept the bad along with the good

Call it what you want my man, but w/o #18 the Colts are small potatoes ... & I'd jump ship asap. I'm a football fan first and w/o #18 this team is not worth watching to the masses let alone myself. I love all the Colts Players over the last 15 years but the organization itself means little to me. The next guy may be good but to be what PMoney has been and to dominate his position like he has is unreasonable. Hard-pressed to see anything like it carrying an entire state on his back and help bring home a title to Indy. If Peyton gets ran out of town, imagine how many "turn-coats" you'll get until the Colts go deep into January again. #18- #32- #88 (add #87)

This type of attitude is pathetic. The state of Indiana is FULL of these kinds of people. IU basketball, ND football, Colts football, and Pacers basektball. If times are tough the "fans" bolt and dont watch. When times get better, magically the gear gets dusted off and brought back out.

Sure it sucks when your team is bad, but it is still YOUR TEAM. Why even bother following a specific team, just watch whoever won he previous week.

I disagree. I can see where you'd make that mistake, but I was always under the impression bandwagoning was atleast in the same sport. I'm not jumping to the ravens, and when reggie left, I didn't jump on the Laker bandwagon. I still watched colts game, but I wasn't religious like I was with Reggie and the Pacers until Reggie left.

From the very reliable urbandictionary...

Bandwagon Fan

Definition: Switches support to whatever team/game/alliance/belief happens to be successful at the time.

From the very reliable urbandictionary...

Bandwagon Fan

Definition: Switches support to whatever team/game/alliance/belief happens to be successful at the time.

Well considering I was still a fan of the Colts at the hieght of my attention I gave to the Pacers, I'm still not a bandwagoner. But if you insist sure

So what essentially you are saying is that you're a fair weather fan?

It is funny that he brought up the Pacers because it shows how fairweathered the city is. After the rumble in the Palace and losing the support of the Pacers dwindled, but now that they are beating teams like Orlando, LA, Boston, and Chicago and right back in the hunt out come the fans acting like they were always fans.

I have always felt like Indianapolis is one of the more fairweather cities in sports. No matter if we let Manning go now or in two years he retires the fans will run like cockroaches when the light is turned out when we start losing.

You see it on here all ready. There is a very large contingent of Manning fans then Colts fans.

The bottom line is no player not even Manning is bigger then the team. If the 49ers can move on from Joe Cool we can move on from Manning. At some point we are going to have to anyways. We might as well do it one year early then one year late.

I hate the idea of moving on from Manning, but at some point you have to. I think Irsay learned from Polian's mistake and is going to surround his future franchise QB with a real defense. I appluad Jim and fully support him and Luck.

Steven Jackson and Ron Artest had far more to do with people turning away from the Pacers than the departure of Reggie Miller did.

EDIT: For the record, I hate basketball, so I actually enjoyed watching a few Detroit fans get pummelled.

Tom-A-toes - Tom-AH-toes

Steven Jackson and Ron Artest had far more to do with people turning away from the Pacers than the departure of Reggie Miller did. EDIT: For the record, I hate basketball, so I actually enjoyed watching a few Detroit fans get pummelled.

Do not forget about Tinsley! Having your car shot at like you were part of a movie chase after leaving a hotel downtown.

artest.jpg

That had much more to do with it.

Also Stephen Jackson popping off rounds at a car after being almsot ran over by car outside a strip club never helps your fan perception of the team.

It is funny that he brought up the Pacers because it shows how fairweathered the city is. After the rumble in the Palace and losing the support of the Pacers dwindled, but now that they are beating teams like Orlando, LA, Boston, and Chicago and right back in the hunt out come the fans acting like they were always fans.

I have always felt like Indianapolis is one of the more fairweather cities in sports. No matter if we let Manning go now or in two years he retires the fans will run like cockroaches when the light is turned out when we start losing.

You see it on here all ready. There is a very large contingent of Manning fans then Colts fans.

The bottom line is no player not even Manning is bigger then the team. If the 49ers can move on from Joe Cool we can move on from Manning. At some point we are going to have to anyways. We might as well do it one year early then one year late.

I hate the idea of moving on from Manning, but at some point you have to. I think Irsay learned from Polian's mistake and is going to surround his future franchise QB with a real defense. I appluad Jim and fully support him and Luck.

I couldn't agree with you more

Do not forget about Tinsley! Having your car shot at like you were part of a movie chase after leaving a hotel downtown.

artest.jpg

That had much more to do with it.

Also Stephen Jackson popping off rounds at a car after being almsot ran over by car outside a strip club never helps your fan perception of the team.

Wasn't there a midget involved somehow? I thought I remembered hearing that on the news one day.

As someone who never really followed the Pacers, that's a pretty sureal headline.

Wasn't there a midget involved somehow? I thought I remembered hearing that on the news one day. As someone who never really followed the Pacers, that's a pretty sureal headline.

I do not know if there was a midget involved, but I do know that the attackers pulled out an assualt rifle and fired at Tinsley. Then Tinsley's entourage chased the shooter while Tinsley's brother shot at them with a handgun. They tried to turn the streets of Indy into a Michael Bay movie.

Losing Reggie hurt because he was the king of the city, but having guys like Tinsley, Artest, and Jackson on the team and having JOB as the coach is what hurt the team and the fanbase.

Comparing losing Reggie to losing Manning is just grasping at straws to make a point and shows a bit of ignorance on Pacers history.

Lemme ask you this, what is the ultimate scenario the "atypical Colts fan" would prefer ? I respect your dedication to the Franchise btw. I just know if it came to a #18 v. Colts situation, the Colts would lose.

lmao our new team hadn't even been put together yet and manning hasn't gone to another team yet and ur saying he would best the colts if he played us. I bet if it were a playoff game against us(we will be a 3-4 team) he wouldn't win.

Glad some of these bandwagon fans are falling off. Not needed

I hear ya...but...

I think the question of his health, though shrouded in mystery, is kinda overblown. If Irsay can't "substantiate the cost" of Manning, why the heck did Irsay sign him to that contract in the first place? I'm just going through some things about the potential of letting Manning go. It's not born from blind fandom for Manning, rather, I don't want to watch the Horseshoe dissipate into irrelevance for the next decade. I believe they're laying the foundation for failure.

Color me as a pessimistic fan until Irsay prove he knows what he's doing without Manning. "No one man is bigger than the horseshoe".......pffft Manning IS the horseshoe.

Manning isn't the horseshoe. To you he may be but he's not to me. It's a team.

Manning isn't the horseshoe. To you he may be but he's not to me. It's a team.

....and how'd that work out for ya in 2011? It was like Lynyrd Skynyrd after Van Zant died. It was like Van Halen with Sammy Hagar. One man gone and it all fell apart. Common sense tells me that the same thing looms in our future if we don't retain the GOAT (notice how people don't use this phrase like they used to).

I'm not trying to be snarky with ya, MP. I've been a Colts fan from day one and will always be.

It's my personal opinion as a fan. I believe that Manning's health will not be an issue and if we let him go we will watch him reap great success while the Colts struggle to find their identity behind an unrecognizable roster. Irsay is scarring me. I get the feeling that Manning's health isn't the deciding factor.....and that the decision has indeed already been made.

....and how'd that work out for ya in 2011? It was like Lynyrd Skynyrd after Van Zant died. It was like Van Halen with Sammy Hagar. One man gone and it all fell apart. Common sense tells me that the same thing looms in our future if we don't retain the GOAT (notice how people don't use this phrase like they used to).

I'm not trying to be snarky with ya, MP. I've been a Colts fan from day one and will always be.

It's my personal opinion as a fan. I believe that Manning's health will not be an issue and if we let him go we will watch him reap great success while the Colts struggle to find their identity behind an unrecognizable roster. Irsay is scarring me. I get the feeling that Manning's health isn't the deciding factor.....and that the decision has indeed already been made.

Andrew luck or rg3 will be better then Danny and painter not to mention better coaches all around, new defense and we won't have like 12 players on IR. This season wasn't all because of PM. Our crappy defensive play(10 yard cushion) and bad overall coaching is to blame IMO. Y do u believe manning can go to another team after a long layoff and surgery at the age of 36 and just automatically win super bowls? He didn't do it in his prime and I don't think he will at 36.

Andrew luck or rg3 will be better then Danny and painter not to mention better coaches all around, new defense and we won't have like 12 players on IR. This season wasn't all because of PM. Our crappy defensive play(10 yard cushion) and bad overall coaching is to blame IMO. Y do u believe manning can go to another team after a long layoff and surgery at the age of 36 and just automatically win super bowls? He didn't do it in his prime and I don't think he will at 36.

I'm not blinded by fandom. Objectively, Manning is that good. I have no cause to suspect that a year off has rendered him useless. I can imagine what Peyton would accomplish with a team like the Ravens. You'd be a fool to bet against it.

I do respect your opinion, MP, as I have followed many of your posts. This is a divisive issue that splits the fanbase.

I want more championships and honestly I cannot picture it happening anytime soon without Manning.

I'm not blinded by fandom. Objectively, Manning is that good. I have no cause to suspect that a year off has rendered him useless. I can imagine what Peyton would accomplish with a team like the Ravens. You'd be a fool to bet against it.

I do respect your opinion, MP, as I have followed many of your posts. This is a divisive issue that splits the fanbase.

I want more championships and honestly I cannot picture it happening anytime soon without Manning.

If u want championships it's without manning IMO. This team as it sits with manning with luck with any qb isn't a super bowl winning team. A wild card spot sure but not enough talent.

How did Peyton do after his last surgery where he missed practice. Now imagine like 14 months. Just cant see him instantly being that Peyton we know.

I see your point but I just think it may be best for the future of the colts to move forward and rebuild.

Before Peyton, I didn't miss a Pacer game. Reggie Miller was the main man and I had received so much enjoyment watching the Pacers when he was on board. After Reggie retired, the Pacers started loosing. (Not saying it was connected, but it didn't hurt lol) I lost interest, fell behind on roster moves so on so fourth.

During the time frame of which I was loosing interest in the Pacers, my interest in the Colts grew and grew. I watched the Colts before, but not like I have in the last 5 or 6 seasons. In these past seasons, Peyton, like Reggie, is the main man and really makes it fun to watch our boys in blue. But with him possibly departing, could this be another Pacer situation for me? Will the Colts start constantly loosing? Will the player that makes them funnest to watch, with his future with the colts in jeopardy, be the beginning of the end, start the decline in the fan base?

You know this is called "Chicagoism" or the east coast version "Bostonism" a theory of "I want to root for my area team so bad as long as they win." Back in the 80's Bears fans were everywhere Da Bears was the popular team for anyone who had any connection to Chicago where did the Bear fans go during the Wannestedt era? Da Bulls! Bulls jackets were everywhere because Michael Jordan always won this one became pretty much national, since people love athletes that have a lot of success, and of course in 2010 you couldn't go too far without seeing a Chicago Blackhawks jersey everywhere. You see Chicagoism is brag about your team as long as they win and strut around in their gear every day,and stick it in the closet when things go sour,and get excited about another sport as soon as they go for a championship. Me, I'm still going to wear my Colt hat even if they stay 2-14 next year.

Well if Andrew Luck is as great as we hope he is like he was in college, people will start watching the NFL because of him too!

Yeah definitely don't forget about all the Stanford/Luck fans that will jump on the bandwagon. I think alot of people really like this guy on a national level also.

You know this is called "Chicagoism" or the east coast version "Bostonism" a theory of "I want to root for my area team so bad as long as they win." Back in the 80's Bears fans were everywhere Da Bears was the popular team for anyone who had any connection to Chicago where did the Bear fans go during the Wannestedt era? Da Bulls! Bulls jackets were everywhere because Michael Jordan always won this one became pretty much national, since people love athletes that have a lot of success, and of course in 2010 you couldn't go too far without seeing a Chicago Blackhawks jersey everywhere. You see Chicagoism is brag about your team as long as they win and strut around in their gear every day,and stick it in the closet when things go sour,and get excited about another sport as soon as they go for a championship. Me, I'm still going to wear my Colt hat even if they stay 2-14 next year.

Well I'm still a fan. I was and still am a fan of the Pacers, which obviously becoming an easier thing to do with there success this season, but known the less. I'm a Colts fan, I'm a Pacers fan. If you don't like that its not as important to watch the team I care for get there * kicked week in and week out, then so be it.

This thread was not a thread to talk my personal affiliation, but to talk about fan morale and the possibility of jumping back to a complete basketball state. You guys are too conserned about accusing someone something then discusing things that may matter. To each his own I guess.

I hear all the time how bad some teams fans are, and then we(because I'm also a member of this forum and a Colts fan) do some of those same things that are bad.

I got called a bandwagoner, fairweathered fan, and some made up chicago * disease for saying that my attention is like a weight scale. When one of my teams are winning, I tend to pay more attention to them. Does no one see the problem in this?

I've always been a dire hard Colts fan and probably always will be.

I don't care about the NBA nearly as much as I do the NFL but the Pacers would be my favorite NBA team and tend to really only pay much attention to the NBA when the Pacers are good. I don't know if I am a bandwagon fan or not when it comes to the Pacers. I just don't follow the NBA much when the Pacers don't matter. With that said I would never call myself a die hard Pacers fan either.

This is not ment to reflect anyone's posts here just stateing my point of view.

I've always been a dire hard Colts fan and probably always will be.

I don't care about the NBA nearly as much as I do the NFL but the Pacers would be my favorite NBA team and tend to really only pay much attention to the NBA when the Pacers are good. I don't know if I am a bandwagon fan or not when it comes to the Pacers. I just don't follow the NBA much when the Pacers don't matter. With that said I would never call myself a die hard Pacers fan either.

This is not ment to reflect anyone's posts here just stateing my point of view.

This is actually how I am, but when the Pacers were good was when I got into sports in general, but as they took a downward turn and with the Colts on the rise, I started to pay attention. I've never followed the Pacers draft. I've never been to a Pacer training camp. I've never known every player on the Pacers roster.

Well I'm still a fan. I was and still am a fan of the Pacers, which obviously becoming an easier thing to do with there success this season, but known the less. I'm a Colts fan, I'm a Pacers fan. If you don't like that its not as important to watch the team I care for get there * kicked week in and week out, then so be it.

This thread was not a thread to talk my personal affiliation, but to talk about fan morale and the possibility of jumping back to a complete basketball state. You guys are too conserned about accusing someone something then discusing things that may matter. To each his own I guess.

Let me rephrase it, I understand not following an NBA team when they're down, I mean that is one sport which is a lot of fun when you're team has a shot and just pointless if you're team is middle or on the bottom. I'm a Thunder fan and things are going good, I also like the Pacers, and want them to win the east, I don't think they can get past the Heat or Bulls in a 7 game series but, they are finally competitve with Granger and co. I just think people should remember the NFL is a not for long league next year is going to be a little rough but seriously you can get good in a hurry and if you follow the rough patches it can be so much sweeter when you're team turns it around like 1995,1999,2002.