Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lanford, Jones, Anderson....

NewColtsFan

So.....    we missed Jones & Anderson for roughly the first month.    Langford has been back but mostly a shell of himself.    People here didn't understand why our defense was so bad.      And of course, Anderson is out with problems on his other knee.

Now Langford is out of the lineup.     Missing a game for the first time in his career.     It's not clear if he'll be back even next week.

But for the most part,  we've gotten almost nothing from our entire front three for the entire first half of the season.    Been mixing and matching and using a variety of back-ups.

People here wonder if we hired the wrong DC.       Dear God.

We didn't have much talent if everyone was healthy.     And for the most part,   they're not healthy.    Now throw in Mathis whose given us almost nothing.    One of the two ILB positions which has given us almost nothing.

And we haven't even touched on our back 7 which has been ravaged by injuries and poor play.

Our troubles on defense have little do with our DC and everything to do without our personnel.

And really, if you are going to point to a unit that has underperformed, the DL isn't where to point, it's the LB. That said, the defensive scheme has been absolutely atrocious in disguising the deficiency there. Some blame lies at both feet, and a lot of it is soft, conservative, defensive play calling. 

This year's Colts defense ranks as one of the worst in franchise history. You can make an argument that the defense is struggling because of injuries. However, some of the other worst ranked defenses have also come in the Pagano era. Grigs and Pagano have not done a good job building the defense. 

I get that pointing the finger at the new D coordinator is not appropriate since he A) has not had a healthy squad, and B) does not have the talent to work with, however, he also has not made any positive contributions to overcome circumstances. 

The one time that we finally had a healthy defense was against Jacksonville, where the defense allowed a struggling, inept Jacksonville team to win and score 30 points.

Unfortunately, I think it's an overall poor effort by the front office, coaching, D-coordinator, and poor personnel that has led to the sad state of our defense. This is not going to be an easy fix, even if we add talent to the defense, like we have been doing, (although very slowly). 

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/10/24/13388306/this-year-s-colts-defense-is-one-of-the-worst-in-franchise-history

17 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I disagree.  Seeing them drop Mathis or Morrison into coverage shows there is a problem with the DC.  I'm not saying he's the only problem, but he does contribute to the defensive problems we have.

mathis and morrison are lbers

they will have to cover from time to time

1 hour ago, Flash said:

This year's Colts defense ranks as one of the worst in franchise history. You can make an argument that the defense is struggling because of injuries. However, some of the other worst ranked defenses have also come in the Pagano era. Grigs and Pagano have not done a good job building the defense. 

I get that pointing the finger at the new D coordinator is not appropriate since he A) has not had a healthy squad, and B) does not have the talent to work with, however, he also has not made any positive contributions to overcome circumstances. 

The one time that we finally had a healthy defense was against Jacksonville, where the defense allowed a struggling, inept Jacksonville team to win and score 30 points.

Unfortunately, I think it's an overall poor effort by the front office, coaching, D-coordinator, and poor personnel that has led to the sad state of our defense. This is not going to be an easy fix, even if we add talent to the defense, like we have been doing, (although very slowly). 

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/10/24/13388306/this-year-s-colts-defense-is-one-of-the-worst-in-franchise-history

I concur

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

So.....    we missed Jones & Anderson for roughly the first month.    Langford has been back but mostly a shell of himself.    People here didn't understand why our defense was so bad.      And of course, Anderson is out with problems on his other knee.

Now Langford is out of the lineup.     Missing a game for the first time in his career.     It's not clear if he'll be back even next week.

But for the most part,  we've gotten almost nothing from our entire front three for the entire first half of the season.    Been mixing and matching and using a variety of back-ups.

People here wonder if we hired the wrong DC.       Dear God.

We didn't have much talent if everyone was healthy.     And for the most part,   they're not healthy.    Now throw in Mathis whose given us almost nothing.    One of the two ILB positions which has given us almost nothing.

And we haven't even touched on our back 7 which has been ravaged by injuries and poor play.

Our troubles on defense have little do with our DC and everything to do without our personnel.

Our defense is bad talent wise and our coordinator, so far, is also just as bad. You've got to hold everyone accountable. I've seen Manusky do much better with less 

31 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Our defense is bad talent wise and our coordinator, so far, is also just as bad. You've got to hold everyone accountable. I've seen Manusky do much better with less 

No you haven't.

Because we've never had less than we have right now.

And it's not even close.

2 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

No... no they dont.. One is a pure pass rusher and the other has cement for cleats.. Morrison has NO BUSINESS dropping into coverage..

If that was the case they would be extremely easy to gameplan against. Okay mathis is in, he will not be dropping, okay morrison is in, he is only going to watch the running back. It's silly. 

58 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

If that was the case they would be extremely easy to gameplan against. Okay mathis is in, he will not be dropping, okay morrison is in, he is only going to watch the running back. It's silly. 

4 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I disagree.  Seeing them drop Mathis or Morrison into coverage shows there is a problem with the DC.  I'm not saying he's the only problem, but he does contribute to the defensive problems we have.

2 hours ago, dudeski said:

That's foolish

those are responsibilities if they are on the field 

I am going to have to concur with the others here.  Maybe you've missed it,..but there is times (rare indeed) where even DT's and NT drop back to cover the middle of the field when the LB's are pressing.  It's just gaps and assignments.  If you switch things up and disquise things, there is going to be mismatches on the field.  I am sure the DC does not find it ideal to have Rob or Antonio covers people, but sometimes things like that will have to drop down to them.

16 hours ago, dudeski said:

mathis and morrison are lbers

they will have to cover from time to time

12 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I am going to have to concur with the others here.  Maybe you've missed it,..but there is times (rare indeed) where even DT's and NT drop back to cover the middle of the field when the LB's are pressing.  It's just gaps and assignments.  If you switch things up and disquise things, there is going to be mismatches on the field.  I am sure the DC does not find it ideal to have Rob or Antonio covers people, but sometimes things like that will have to drop down to them.

Right, I understand that LB responsibilities include dropping into coverage.  But a DC needs to understand his players' strengths and abilities.  Having Robert Mathis drop into coverage on DeAndre Hopkins is asking for trouble.  You can't just blindly make a guy drop into coverage simply because he is a linebacker and he has to cover from time to time.  You need to look at matchups and do your best to maximize your strengths.

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

Right, I understand that LB responsibilities include dropping into coverage.  But a DC needs to understand his players' strengths and abilities.  Having Robert Mathis drop into coverage on DeAndre Hopkins is asking for trouble.  You can't just blindly make a guy drop into coverage simply because he is a linebacker and he has to cover from time to time.  You need to look at matchups and do your best to maximize your strengths.

But when a DC calls the play, does he know that a WR goes into motion? or a RB moves to reciever?  Does he know how the offense is lineing up at all? pretty sure he calls when he see's the personell grouping coming to the field.  Would that not take some kind of esp to know how they line up?  Once they do line up, can he tell guys 'hey, i'm changing they defensive play,..gotta get that player out of zone coverage against that other player' or is it too late?

13 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

That's not that silly.  During his time with the Cowboys, DeMarcus Ware would be rushing the passer 90% of the time.

http://thedctimes.com/tag/demarcus-ware-stats/

Ware isn’t asked to drop into coverage often (only 11.5 percent of all pass plays), but he’s solid when he does.

So you get the same scenario you just mentioned.  The offense recognizes that Ware is in the game and knows that there's a 90% chance he's rushing the passer. 

1 minute ago, Lawrence Owen said:

But when a DC calls the play, does he know that a WR goes into motion? or a RB moves to reciever?  Does he know how the offense is lineing up at all? pretty sure he calls when he see's the personell grouping coming to the field.  Would that not take some kind of esp to know how they line up?  Once they do line up, can he tell guys 'hey, i'm changing they defensive play,..gotta get that player out of zone coverage against that other player' or is it too late?

Robert Mathis dropping into coverage against almost anyone is a mismatch.  It doesn't matter if it's Lamar Miller, Hopkins, or whomever.  Robert Mathis, at age 35, should not be dropping into coverage.  College film shows you Antonio Morrison is awful at coverage.  Recognize the abilities of your players and put them in situations where they can succeed.  You don't put Peyton Manning in a read-option offense, you don't put Warren Sapp in a 3-4 defense, etc.  Understand what your players can do and maximize their abilities

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Robert Mathis dropping into coverage against almost anyone is a mismatch.  It doesn't matter if it's Lamar Miller, Hopkins, or whomever.  Robert Mathis, at age 35, should not be dropping into coverage.  College film shows you Antonio Morrison is awful at coverage.  Recognize the abilities of your players and put them in situations where they can succeed.  You don't put Peyton Manning in a read-option offense, you don't put Warren Sapp in a 3-4 defense, etc.  Understand what your players can do and maximize their abilities

Ok. now i understand where you are coming from.  

Even though i agree with you that putting players in a position to succeed, calling a  play that does not noramlly happen does sometimes spell success because the other team does not expect it.  Aka: Calling a bootleg at the 7 yard line for Peyton to run it into the endzone.

But yes..this should not be a norm.  This play i think happened 2 times the entire time Manning was the QB here. (that i remember)

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

no

apparently you don't understand at all.  

You have to give the DC some credit for how the defense is playing. We lost the game to Houston specifically because they finally figured out in the last 5 minutes our LB's cannot cover, and their TE scores two easy ones down the seam, plus a few other large yard gainers. We should know that weakness and be able to do something about it. Have a spy on the TE's. Put in a dime back to help them!