Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagono May Want Us To Draft Defense First

oldunclemark

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like was stated above...the best defense is a good offense. Pagano isn't stupid. He knows that if he can score 30pts a game that he has a better chance of winning by limiting the opposing team to 21. Also, he is only part of the decision-making team and you can bet that Irsay want's to put butts in the seats by having a brand new "exciting" franchise quarterback.

Manning equals 30 PPG..

Luck equals (well, we dont know)

My first though is that Pagono wont want us to use the No.1 overall on a QB..

when his defense needs some new-age high speed attackers..

If he believes Manning is OK...could he talk Irsay and Grigson into dealing the No.1 for Cleveland's No.4 overall..

No. 26 and (we have No. 33) No. 37???

...and take a nose guard, corner, safety and QB (with 33 or 37)?

..we really havent spent many No.1's on defense in the Manning-era

Won't happen.

Phil....It hasnt happend yet..Nothing you say can be a lie...

You are infuraited....by discussion about things that havent happened yet..

You seem obcessed by Andrew Luck....and even the suggestion that he might not play makes you crazy....

Peyton Manning might QB the Colts next fall...In fact..he probably will.

Calm down

I'm not the one starting threads every couple of days saying "OMG WE CANT TAKE LUCK PEYTON IS THE FUTURE!!!!!!" and trying to find any angle for taking the kid down a peg.

you ready for #12 next year instead of #18? mostly everyone here is, but not you.

quit with the andrew luck threads. we know you hate the fact that peyton wont be back. suck it up and stop being a little B.

I'm not the one starting threads every couple of days saying "OMG WE CANT TAKE LUCK PEYTON IS THE FUTURE!!!!!!" and trying to find any angle for taking the kid down a peg.

you ready for #12 next year instead of #18? mostly everyone here is, but not you.

quit with the andrew luck threads. we know you hate the fact that peyton wont be back. suck it up and stop being a little B.

I'm not the one who is infuriated...

'Taking the kid down a peg'? ts an Indianapolis message board

...Its the NFL...all deals must be considered.....Manning is a Colt...

'The kid' isnt ours yet..

But if and when he is..there's a possibility he sits behind our franchise player.

You're Colts fan, right?

Peyton Manning is your player. You dont agree there's a chance he'll be back in the fall?

I wasn't implying Luck played poorly, I was asking why other then just listening to "Scouts Inc, McShay, Kiper" do people here think that he is the next best thing. Your post stating he is good because all the previous mention state he will be good just makes proves my point where most are just rehashing what others are telling them. I would much rather hear what everyone saying Luck, Luck, Luck personally saw or see in him that makes them think he is can't miss.

Personally I see Luck as a competitor, can make all the throws. I just not ready to say can't miss guy and close my eyes to all other options.

Unless one of us was a D1 QB, QB coach at the D1 level, Pro QB coach, etc., it's all novice opinion. Plus, there is no crystal ball. My answer to you is he will not ever touch Manning's records, or wins. Manning will go down as one of the best ever. That list will remain short - that's what makes 'best of all time' unique. But Luck possess the physical and intellectual qualities you look for in a QB. Pocket presence, arm, study habits, footwork, attention to detail, maximing and improving the talent around him, leadership. He took a Stanford teams that went 4-8 and 5-7 in previous seasons to winning records, bowl games, and national exposure. With limited talent around him comparatively. Can he fail? Yes. As can Peyton next year too. What is absolute is Manning will be 36 next year, and can't play forever. At some point the Colts will have another QB. There won't be as highly rated a player at that position as Luck in the next four or five drafts. Maybe the next 15 drafts.

I live in Northern California and saw Luck play most of his games - they are all televised locally for me. He is exceptionally talented. I think more polished then when I watched Manning at Tennessee. I don't think he will ever be as good in the pros, but it's one heck of a consolation prize for finishing 2-14.

You dont agree there's a chance he'll be back in the fall?

20-80 he will be back. i hate those odds. what do those odds tell you? that even that 20% chance he comes back he will be slinging the ball 5000+ yards for 55 TD's?

why are you hanging on so hard? let peyton go. its time. cry it out if you have to. it helps.

30 ppg pre surgery and when he was healthy

we dont know for sure now

point taken..Andrew.....and I guess its probably more like 28...with Manning

...I just think its not far fetched to think that our new defensive guru head coach might lobby for more defensive picks.

We should allow him that...

...I just think its not far fetched to think that our new defensive guru head coach might lobby for more defensive picks.

We should allow him that...

yeah, but we're not. its not happening. andrew luck, 1st overall. no trades, no D players, not happening.

I agree about trading that number 1, but other teams to consider would be Washington (6th overall), Miami (8 or 9 overall), or Kansas City (11th or 12th). Could still get a great defensive player and draft a QB in a later draft. Washington would probably give the Colts the most bang for that pick because all they need is a QB and the owner of the Redskins overpays for everything. Could probably swap 1st's, get their 2nd and 6th this year, and a 3rd & 5 th rounders next year. That is a lot of talent to patch some holes with.

20-80 he will be back. i hate those odds. what do those odds tell you? that even that 20% chance he comes back he will be slinging the ball 5000+ yards for 55 TD's?

why are you hanging on so hard? let peyton go. its time. cry it out if you have to. it helps.

Phil...Peyton is under contract to the Colts...Let him go.....he's here..

I think its more like 60-40 he will be back....He was reportedly 85% on Jan,. 1

Teammates said he's throwing all the short stuff...

Irsay will pay the 28 mil....he said he would.

let the future come in its own time...

We have a proven leader....to steward us through troubled times :foam:

Manning was not at 85%

he was throwing at 85 - 90 % and it was all short to intermediate stuff

Peyton Manning is throwing at 85-90% and showing signs that the rest is conditioning, not nerve. Very positive.

I'm sure if Manning was 90% right now he for sure would be a Colt assuming the other 10% is just out of shape for playing.

He may want us to be we wont. Irsay has already said it's pretty much between Luck and RG3 and you can't pass on that kind of talent at the QB spot. He's also talked about building for the future around the three pillers of the franchise in GM, coach, and QB.

Also Pagono has been around the Ravens for a little while now and while Flacco has been decent you can make a case that the one thing holding them back is the QB spot over the time he's been there. If he has a chance to get a great one off the bat that might sway his input on what you do.

He was hired to coach the whole team and not just the defense. That's important to remember and just because he has a defensive background doesn't mean he wont want a good offense if he can have it. Look at Dungy when he was hired. He realized what he had in offense when he got here and didn't touch it and only made changes to the coaching staff as guys left on the offensive side of the ball. I am not saying the offense is in the same shape it was when Dungy got here because it's not. With that said though if he has a chance to draft to the guy who is supposed to be the next great QB that's what the cards have delt him and I am sure he'll be happy to have whichever one of those two guys the Colts judge is the best and build from there on the defense and offense.

I didn't factor Peyton into this because frankly any coach that wouldn't want a QB to the talent level of Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, or Aaron Rodgers as their QB if healthy needs to have their head examnined.

so when he announces his retirement, you will be shocked? LOL

and I want to see that link with your 85% garbage. no way he is 85%. and throwing short is nothing. I can throw short to those guys. he cant stretch a field anymore.

but link please, or gtho.

If he believes Manning is OK...could he talk Irsay and Grigson into dealing the No.1 for Cleveland's No.4 overall..

With all due respect, that is simply not anything close to reality.

You throw lots of stuff against the wall and I think the next time something sticks will be the first.

so when he announces his retirement, you will be shocked? LOL

and I want to see that link with your 85% garbage. no way he is 85%. and throwing short is nothing. I can throw short to those guys. he cant stretch a field anymore.

but link please, or gtho.

You asked, Phil...I deliver....Please note the date.

Peyton Manning Is At '85-90%' And Improving

stampedeBlue_tiny.gif by Brad Wells on Dec 22, 2011 10:56 AM EST in 2011 Colts News

Yesterday, we got some positive news from Colts running back Joseph Addai regarding the improving health of quarterback Peyton Manning. From Paul Kuharsky:

"He's not throwing deep-level passes, but the short stuff is really good enough to play," Addai said.

"He's coming along good," Addai said. "He's looking good and he throws a good ball."

Today, we get even better news, this time from Sports Illustrated's Will Carroll. Will is a well-connected expert on player injuries, and he is based in Indianapolis:

Peyton Manning is throwing at 85-90% and showing signs that the rest is conditioning, not nerve. Very positive.

Because of the spinal fusion surgery and the recovery time afterwards, it's been no secret that Peyton has looked out of shape when we've seen glimpses of him on the sidelines of games he's attended. This is understandable. The man was only recently cleared to begin running a month ago.

Aside from conditioning, Will's tweet is the first real news we've gotten that the nerve in Peyton's neck is regenerating. Likely, he can feel his triceps muscle again, and he is able to deliver the football with some zip.

Now, can he still throw the ball deep? Can he still zing it in there between multiple defenders? Is he still 'Peyton Manning?' We don't really know. What we do know is he is closer to the field general we all knew (and that the rest of the NFL feared) than he was in September.

You asked, Phil...I deliver....Please note the date.

stampedeBlue_tiny.gif by Brad Wells on Dec 22, 2011 10:56 AM EST in 2011 Colts News

Yesterday, we got some positive news from Colts running back Joseph Addai regarding the improving health of quarterback Peyton Manning. From Paul Kuharsky:

"He's not throwing deep-level passes, but the short stuff is really good enough to play," Addai said.

"He's coming along good," Addai said. "He's looking good and he throws a good ball."

Today, we get even better news, this time from Sports Illustrated's Will Carroll. Will is a well-connected expert on player injuries, and he is based in Indianapolis:

Because of the spinal fusion surgery and the recovery time afterwards, it's been no secret that Peyton has looked out of shape when we've seen glimpses of him on the sidelines of games he's attended. This is understandable. The man was only recently cleared to begin running a month ago.

Aside from conditioning, Will's tweet is the first real news we've gotten that the nerve in Peyton's neck is regenerating. Likely, he can feel his triceps muscle again, and he is able to deliver the football with some zip.

Now, can he still throw the ball deep? Can he still zing it in there between multiple defenders? Is he still 'Peyton Manning?' We don't really know. What we do know is he is closer to the field general we all knew (and that the rest of the NFL feared) than he was in September.

Please, throwing at 85% - 90% (short stuff ) and saying a QB is 85-90% is a HUGE difference. You are misleading a lot of fans by saying Manning is 85-90% as that is a lie.

A 90% Manning is still very very good and without a doubt would be a Colt next year but a Manning throwing short passes 85-90% is a big difference.

..why is it wrong to dicsuss things that havent happened yet....?

it's not "wrong"....it's just funny that we see so many threads dealing with how or why such and such hints and Manning being kept around.

They can be things like a certain coach is hired, he's making commericals, he had eggs& bacon for breakfast...it never seems to end and we're still 6 weeks from the option date and 3 months from draft day.

I would say there is a 99% chance that Luck is drated by the Colts in April....nothing in the NFL is 100% so that's the only reason it's 99%. The bigger issue is what happens to Manning on March 8th....which is probably a 50/50 choice at this point and Im pretty sure nobody on this site has any meaningful insight into what the Colts will do.

90% for the short stuff? that is supposed to impress us? boooooooooo

what a career. what a legacy. to go out like this is undeserving of someone so amazing. but that is the reality: he is on the way out.

expect retirement announcement in the next couple months. they will extend the March 8th deadline as a last ditch effort, but once that passes, we will see him at the podium at Lucas Oil. it will be a sad day for all.

Please, throwing at 85% - 90% (short stuff ) and saying a QB is 85-90% is a HUGE difference. You are misleading a lot of fans by saying Manning is 85-90% as that is a lie.

A 90% Manning is still very very good and without a doubt would be a Colt next year but a Manning throwing short passes 85-90% is a big difference.

Andrew.... Read it agaiun...

throwing short at 85% is not said there. ...The story is what it says..

You've seen it before... multiple sources here say he's throwing 85%....4 weeks ago

I take them at their word. You dont?

it's not "wrong"....it's just funny that we see so many threads dealing with how or why such and such hints and Manning being kept around.

They can be things like a certain coach is hired, he's making commericals, he had eggs& bacon for breakfast...it never seems to end and we're still 6 weeks from the option date and 3 months from draft day.

I would say there is a 99% chance that Luck is drated by the Colts in April....nothing in the NFL is 100% so that's the only reason it's 99%. The bigger issue is what happens to Manning on March 8th....which is probably a 50/50 choice at this point and Im pretty sure nobody on this site has any meaningful insight into what the Colts will do.

icf..

Everything with the Colts is speculatiion...Nothing is certain right now..

..and I'd say that nothing is 99%

What's funny is the certainty experessed here when the whole team is in limbo

Andrew.... Read it agaiun...

throwing short at 85% is not said there. ...The story is what it says..

You've seen it before... multiple sources here say he's throwing 85%....4 weeks ago

I take them at their word. You dont?

"He's not throwing deep-level passes, but the short stuff is really good enough to play," Addai said
Peyton Manning is throwing at 85-90%

Besides you clearly are misleading everyone by saying Manning is at 85-90% That is much different than he is throwing at 85-90%

You know that has nothing to do with what Grigson and Irsay plan to do right?

icf..

Everything with the Colts is speculatiion...Nothing is certain right now..

..and I'd say that nothing is 99%

What's funny is the certainty experessed here when the whole team is in limbo

Well, I don't think anyone can argue with that. But, for future reference, anytime you post anything by BBS you lose all credibility IMO.

Those numbers stink. Probably because you pulled them our of your butt. Quit trying to make up numbers and pass them off as definitive fact.

WOW phil not biased are we...jeez,I respect everyones opinion..but

your saying ...you know #18 isnt playing next year,how??? are you an espn

addict..if you remember morty also said colts where L A bound a few yrs, ago

Far as I know..fact 1.team owner says if healthy hes a colt..2 peyton wants to

stay with same team his whole career. When someone gives you the link on %85 all you do is try to put them down..Are you the only

expert on this board ....jeeeeez

90% for the short stuff? that is supposed to impress us? boooooooooo

what a career. what a legacy. to go out like this is undeserving of someone so amazing. but that is the reality: he is on the way out.

expect retirement announcement in the next couple months. they will extend the March 8th deadline as a last ditch effort, but once that passes, we will see him at the podium at Lucas Oil. it will be a sad day for all.

You can go ahead and predict the future....

I'm just telling you what multiple people have reported...As a Colts fan, there's no reason not to accept it..

I with the guy saying Luck could be a bust.

There is no gurantee for these 1st rounders. Just in the last three or four years we seen so many busts come into the league and be a nobody. Peyton Manning is a once in a generation player. I'm not sure Luck is that guy. Make no mistake, we are in the rebuilding process and who can say where we'll be one year from now.

I with the guy saying Luck could be a bust.

There is no gurantee for these 1st rounders. Just in the last three or four years we seen so many busts come into the league and be a nobody. Peyton Manning is a once in a generation player. I'm not sure Luck is that guy. Make no mistake, we are in the rebuilding process and who can say where we'll be one year from now.

You're right lets use your logic. Luck is not a guarantee. But Manning coming off 3 neck surgeries at 36 having not played in a long time is a guarantee right?

You're right lets use your logic. Luck is not a guarantee. But Manning coming off 3 neck surgeries at 36 having not played in a long time is a guarantee right?

If Manning believes he can still play at a high level, I'll take that over any doctor or Colts medical assistant. Regardless, my Colts are my Colts and if Manning leaves, I wish him a lot of success that he may not have been able to achieve on an aging, changing, and horrible team.

you must not read much on what irsay says huh? he already stated and made it clear with the new GM the first pick is going to be used on a QB. its just which QB its going to be thats in question....and if cleveland is having second thoughts on RG3 and how he plays out to be then im pretty sure the colts are thinking the same thing and are drafting luck with the first pick.